Query...

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Query...

Postby HJS on Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:30 am

If we struggle (loss to URI blowout loss to FSU) so badly without a Biko Paris, what the hell is going to happen next season when we have no true point guard on the roster?
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Re: Query...

Postby RedBaron67 on Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:02 am

HJS {l Wrote}:If we struggle (loss to URI blowout loss to FSU) so badly without a Biko Paris, what the hell is going to happen next season when we have no true point guard on the roster?

Your question contains two implicit assumptions: 1) Reggie will leave for the NBA after this season; 2) BC won't recruit a point guard between now and spring signing. Of course, both COULD occur, but neither is self-evidently certain, or even (I would say) overwhelmingly probable. I also think that if Reggie were leaning toward leaving, the coaching staff would be aware of this and using it as a recruiting tool. Such a double misfortune is an unpleasant possibility, but I don't think we should get hysterical about it just yet, especially in the current uncertain state of NBA affairs.
RedBaron67
Campion Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:20 am

If we lost Reggie to the NBA, it isn't going to be pretty next season.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby bcmurph on Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:33 am

Matt Humphrey's Scout profile also mentions that he "Will run some point on occasion"...so hopefully he'll be able to slide into Biko's role and minutes...Obviously, if Reggie were to leave, it's kitty bar the door...
"Stay with this young team - there are great days ahead." Coach Donahue tweet 2/19/2012 -
bcmurph
McGuinn Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:48 am

bcmurph {l Wrote}:Matt Humphrey's Scout profile also mentions that he "Will run some point on occasion"...so hopefully he'll be able to slide into Biko's role and minutes...Obviously, if Reggie were to leave, it's kitty bar the door...

Matt is going to add something a little different because he's 6'5", can slash to the hoop and is a pretty deadly shooter from 3. Combine him with Reggie next year in the back-court and we're have a long, athletic back-court that can pretty much do anything.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby BC923 on Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:49 am

HJS {l Wrote}:If we struggle (loss to URI blowout loss to FSU) so badly without a Biko Paris, what the hell is going to happen next season when we have no true point guard on the roster?

I think its less of only a point guard thing but more of a talent thing. Reggie has no targets, no one to give the ball so he can get away from his man off-ball. But unless the kids we bring in do well next season it will be ugly. I always thought next year would be worse than this year.
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby Brablc on Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:48 pm

BC923 {l Wrote}:

I think its less of only a point guard thing but more of a talent thing. Reggie has no targets, no one to give the ball so he can get away from his man off-ball. But unless the kids we bring in do well next season it will be ugly. I always thought next year would be worse than this year.

A combination of Humpfrey, L. Jackson, G. Moton and unknown signee should help fill Biko's role next year.

Right now, we don't have the shooters to make Reggie's drives killers. Humfrey and Jackson should from what I've heard provide that outside shooting threat. And while Moton is still not an ACC guard quite yet. He's come a long way and I would expect him to contribute a good amount next year (I think he may be our best on the ball defender with Elmore on the team.)
Brablc
McGuinn Hall

Postby HJS on Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:42 pm

RedBaron67 {l Wrote}:

Your question contains two implicit assumptions: 1) Reggie will leave for the NBA after this season; 2) BC won't recruit a point guard between now and spring.

1) Wait... did Reggie not play against URI or FSU?
Regardless of what position Reggie plays in the NBA, this year for this team, he acts more as a SG/scoring PG. Biko plays more of a traditional PG role (pass first, kickout threat).
2) Would seem to me that a PG would be a more pressing interest than a late Spring/Summer signing. Didn't we strike out trying to fill the same position last Spring/Summer?
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby RedBaron67 on Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:47 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
RedBaron67 {l Wrote}:

Your question contains two implicit assumptions: 1) Reggie will leave for the NBA after this season; 2) BC won't recruit a point guard between now and spring.

1) Wait... did Reggie not play against URI or FSU?
Regardless of what position Reggie plays in the NBA, this year for this team, he acts more as a SG/scoring PG. Biko plays more of a traditional PG role (pass first, kickout threat).
2) Would seem to me that a PG would be a more pressing interest than a late Spring/Summer signing. Didn't we strike out trying to fill the same position last Spring/Summer?

1) Reggie has many more assists than Biko (98-65) and a much better A/TO ratio (2.18-1.67). He functions as a scoring PG because he's the best offensive player on the team by a wide margin, which I don't think will be nearly as true next year. I think that, even if we don't get another PG, the combination Moton/Humphrey/L. Jackson will be at least adequate replacement for Biko in giving Reggie rest time.
2) The failure to get a quality PG recruit has been very frustrating, but the recruiting season isn't over yet. I can't believe the coaching staff isn't making it their first priority, since the need is so obvious. At worst, we ought to be able to find someone in 2012 if it doesn't pan out this year, since with Reggie gone any high-quality PG recruit will be able to more or less walk into the job.
RedBaron67
Campion Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:56 pm

Reggie is not a traditional PG. Most of his assists are on made threes. That is a deceptive use of a statistic. Without Biko, both to handle and to make the shots on the other end of Jackson's passes, BC's offense does not function because it has no PG. With Biko in, there is still no traditional PG, but at least you have two guards that can shoot the three and penetrate to apply pressure on both sides of the defense. Plus, when Reggie dominates the ball it is a ton easier to defend him.

The idea that BC will be okay at PG because Jackson will be back does not comfort me. We need a replacement for Biko. Maybe it is Moton or Humphrey, but I would prefer to see a real PG.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby joemack13 on Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:52 pm

I'm optimistic that Humphrey will be able to replace Biko. Not trying to minimize Biko's importance, like almost every starter he is critical to this team, I've just heard good things about Humphrey, and if Jackson and Humphrey are the starting guards we have both Moton and Jackson backing them up. My bigger concern is replacing Trapani, Raji, Southern. While in the long run I think we'll do better, that's a lot of good minutes that will be tough to replace with freshmen.

I expect next year's team to be very similar to this year's. I think the 3P% will be even better, the defense will be better. I think the inside scoring and the offense overall will be on-off. Overall I think we'll have less bad losses, but end up with a similar record - I don't expect the Don to be able to put together something really great until 2012 (if Humphrey turns up big) or more likely 2013.
joemack13
Campion Hall

Postby apbc12 on Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:18 am

I don't think we're going to land a first-day starter at PG in the incoming class. It'll be a platoon next year among the Jacksons, Humphrey, and Moton, Moton seemingly being the only one who's actually a point guard. For what it's worth, I'm guessing Reggie, Humphrey and Anderson will be unquestioned starters. The other two are harder to predict, but at this point I'm thinking Rubin and either Clifford or Caudill. We're insanely young next year, and even though we'll have more size inside, almost certainly even weaker on the boards than this year. Unless all the freshmen are ready to go from day 1, Reggie's senior year will likely be a tough one.
apbc12
Higgins Hall

Postby bignick33 on Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:53 am

I think we're gonna suck next year (bear in mind that I thought we would suck this year too and was pleasantly surprised). That being said...I've heard some really good things regarding Humphries. There's a very good chance he will be the second best player on the team (assuming and hoping that Reggie stays).
I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:13 am

RedBaron67 {l Wrote}:1) Reggie has many more assists than Biko (98-65) and a much better A/TO ratio (2.18-1.67). He functions as a scoring PG because he's the best offensive player on the team by a wide margin, which I don't think will be nearly as true next year. I think that, even if we don't get another PG, the combination Moton/Humphrey/L. Jackson will be at least adequate replacement for Biko in giving Reggie rest time.
2) The failure to get a quality PG recruit has been very frustrating, but the recruiting season isn't over yet. I can't believe the coaching staff isn't making it their first priority, since the need is so obvious. At worst, we ought to be able to find someone in 2012 if it doesn't pan out this year, since with Reggie gone any high-quality PG recruit will be able to more or less walk into the job.

1) I have great things about Humphrey as a player. I have also heard some slightly disconcerting primadonna attitude things too. Regardless, I can no way endorce the idea that we will be more talented next year than this. In my opinion, Coach D's initial trajectory won't be dissimilar to Skinner's (decent first season, followed by an absolutely terrible one). Give D props for making his first season a little better than decent (thus far).

2) I really don't get it either. To me... when I watch good college teams (especially in the NCAAs), the number one thing that stands out is the guard play. Big men are nice and can give you a nice mismatch advantage, but you are only going to go as far as your guards will carry you. That is where your steals are gonna come from... that is where your inbound passes are securely made... that is where you can destroy a press... that is where the rest of the table is set for your team. I guy like Moton is a nice story, but relying on him is like relying on Codi Boek (another nice story) to quarterback us to the Orange Bowl. We need a lightning fast, TRUE point guard (i.e. dribble, shoot and steal) who can hit the 3. I do not care how tall he is... just get me someone who can be Robin to Reggie's Batman.

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Reggie is not a traditional PG. Most of his assists are on made threes. That is a deceptive use of a statistic. Without Biko, both to handle and to make the shots on the other end of Jackson's passes, BC's offense does not function because it has no PG. With Biko in, there is still no traditional PG, but at least you have two guards that can shoot the three and penetrate to apply pressure on both sides of the defense. Plus, when Reggie dominates the ball it is a ton easier to defend him.

The idea that BC will be okay at PG because Jackson will be back does not comfort me. We need a replacement for Biko. Maybe it is Moton or Humphrey, but I would prefer to see a real PG.

This.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby floocher on Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:11 pm

What are the "great things" heard about Humphrey? He looks like a 6'5' wing, who played 10-15 minutes a game at Oregon over 2 seasons, scored about 5 pts/game, with 1/2 rebounds. Does not sound like a point guard or a great player. Didn't he leave Oregon under some kind of group cloud?
floocher
n00b

Postby bignick33 on Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:18 pm

floocher {l Wrote}:What are the "great things" heard about Humphrey? He looks like a 6'5' wing, who played 10-15 minutes a game at Oregon over 2 seasons, scored about 5 pts/game, with 1/2 rebounds. Does not sound like a point guard or a great player. Didn't he leave Oregon under some kind of group cloud?

While you didn't quote me, I've heard that he's been very, very good in practice so far. Word is that he's a knockdown shooter and a plus athlete.
I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby SiValEagle on Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:28 pm

bignick33 {l Wrote}:
floocher {l Wrote}:What are the "great things" heard about Humphrey? He looks like a 6'5' wing, who played 10-15 minutes a game at Oregon over 2 seasons, scored about 5 pts/game, with 1/2 rebounds. Does not sound like a point guard or a great player. Didn't he leave Oregon under some kind of group cloud?

While you didn't quote me, I've heard that he's been very, very good in practice so far. Word is that he's a knockdown shooter and a plus athlete.

Well, if he looks good in practice, we have nothing to fear.
SiValEagle
n00b

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:30 pm

SiValEagle {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:

Well, if he looks good in practice, we have nothing to fear.

Addict said Tyler Roche looked in practice. Just sayin'.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby EagleDave on Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:34 pm

For the record, during the open scrimmage before the season, Humphrey played exceptionally well...yes, Tyler Roche played in the game.
Is this the 5 o'clock free crack giveaway?
EagleDave
Merkert Hall

Postby Brablc on Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:42 pm

EagleDave {l Wrote}:For the record, during the open scrimmage before the season, Humphrey played exceptionally well...yes, Tyler Roche played in the game.

I concur. He was the go-to scorer on the second squad and probably the 2nd best scorer on the floor after Jackson. He also had really good range from deep.
Brablc
McGuinn Hall

Postby EagleDave on Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:15 pm

Brablc {l Wrote}:
EagleDave {l Wrote}:For the record, during the open scrimmage before the season, Humphrey played exceptionally well...yes, Tyler Roche played in the game.

I concur. He was the go-to scorer on the second squad and probably the 2nd best scorer on the floor after Jackson. He also had really good range from deep.

Not to mention that the reports of this kids athleticism are not even remotely exaggerated.
Is this the 5 o'clock free crack giveaway?
EagleDave
Merkert Hall

Postby bcaddict on Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:42 pm

bignick33 {l Wrote}:

This. But he ain't a PG. And neither is Lonnie Jackson, tho we also told him that he could play PG from time to time. Translation: they can handle the rock, and in our offense, may get the opportunity to do so from time to time. But don't confuse that with PG play.

Biko is going to be a huge loss--bigger than Trapani IMO (Humphrey should make up for the lack of scoring).

Jackson is very likely staying at this juncture.
bcaddict
Carney Hall

Postby RedBaron67 on Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:48 pm

Humphrey is still something of a mystery. He had a respectable list of schools interested in him as a HS senior, but his two seasons at Oregon were extremely spotty. It's good to hear that he's showing ability in practice, but it seems unwise to draw any solid conclusions until we see him in game play next season. I hope I'll be pleasantly surprised, but for now I'm uncertain about what kind of player is going to show up.
RedBaron67
Campion Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:20 pm

I know BC is still in the market for a PG, and why Shanke Larkin went to play under Purnell at DePaul is a bit of a mystery to me, but there just isn't much out there in 2011.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby BC923 on Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:02 am

RedBaron67 {l Wrote}:Humphrey is still something of a mystery. He had a respectable list of schools interested in him as a HS senior, but his two seasons at Oregon were extremely spotty. It's good to hear that he's showing ability in practice, but it seems unwise to draw any solid conclusions until we see him in game play next season. I hope I'll be pleasantly surprised, but for now I'm uncertain about what kind of player is going to show up.

he had nagging knee injuries at oregon. If he stays healthy he can play at a high level.
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby RedBaron67 on Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:45 am

BC923 {l Wrote}:
RedBaron67 {l Wrote}:Humphrey is still something of a mystery. He had a respectable list of schools interested in him as a HS senior, but his two seasons at Oregon were extremely spotty. It's good to hear that he's showing ability in practice, but it seems unwise to draw any solid conclusions until we see him in game play next season. I hope I'll be pleasantly surprised, but for now I'm uncertain about what kind of player is going to show up.

he had nagging knee injuries at oregon. If he stays healthy he can play at a high level.

If Humphrey had health issues at Oregon, that changes the picture. He begins to look like another reason for optimism about next year.
RedBaron67
Campion Hall

Postby cvilleagle on Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:40 am

RedBaron67 {l Wrote}:
BC923 {l Wrote}:

If Humphrey had health issues at Oregon, that changes the picture. He begins to look like another reason for optimism about next year.

Yeah, Humphrey was actually in the rivals top 100 coming out of high school. Ranked #95. So if he's healthy and productive, he could be pretty special. Maybe the year off has helped him heal.
cvilleagle
Devlin Hall

Postby HJS on Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:45 am

What I was told about Humphreys is that he will be bringing a dimension to the team we simply do not have (and haven't had in a long time). I don't expect him to be a consistent scorer the way Reggie is. However, I expect some pretty incredible highs. I think he can be a guy who will win games by himself (though disappear in others). I see him going for 30 one night and 8 another.

All that said... this teams needs someone who is able to be a fulltime... traditional PG. And, we don't have that on the current roster or in the incoming class.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby missoulaEagle on Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:45 am

Is Humphrey a projected starter next year?
missoulaEagle
n00b

Postby RedBaron67 on Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:47 am

missoulaEagle {l Wrote}:Is Humphrey a projected starter next year?

Someone will have to step into Paris's spot next year, and Humphrey is likely to start ahead of Lonnie Jackson because of his greater experience (including practice with the team this year).
RedBaron67
Campion Hall

Next

Return to Conte Forum