FSU Game

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: FSU Game

Postby branchinator on Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:52 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Rubin doesn't belong on the floor when they face a team that scares the shit out of him. He is passing on wide open threes and turning it over.

This game is not looking good. Rubin turtling, no one else shooting except Trapani, and Jackson forced to play PG. Not a good recipe against this team. They are too athletic for Raji to be effective on the boards, and Southern has disappeared again.

That said, FSU is so inept offensively, they will keep BC in it.

Danny Rubin is a shorter Tyler Roche. Elmore kind of blows.
branchinator
Cushing Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:19 am

This game makes the Miami loss hurt even more because we'd be 5-1 if not for that referee induced loss. After we lose to Duke we'll be back to 4-3 which will make the home game against UNC a must-win.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby BC923 on Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:47 am

fwiw Traps had the stomach flu as well but played through it.
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby Art Vandelay on Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:50 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:The point is that it is near impossible to defend against threes. So you don't, you try to take them away entirely, or you accept them as a low percentage shot. For teams that try to take them away entirely, one good penetrating quard that can get to the rack can fuck your entire defense up. it is the reason so many teams are running this style of offense.

I don't forsee "tough defense" being a problem for this BC team and their style of play. I'm more worried about "cold shooting" and "teams that can outscore them".

I was not around to watch the game, but doesn't it sure sounds like Steve D thinks it is possible to defend the three and FSU does it well.

"They don't give you a clean look," first-year Boston College coach Steve Donahue said. "You have to play offense for 30 seconds and work your tail off on offense to get a good shot."

Not giving a clean look is exactly what I mean by defending the three. I saw you saying we should shoot over them and that is exactly the point. If we have to shoot over them that is harder then if they are not up in a shooters face. How'd that one good penetrating guard work out for us? Pretty sure Reggie qualifies and clearly that made no difference.
Art Vandelay
McGuinn Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:28 pm

Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:The point is that it is near impossible to defend against threes. So you don't, you try to take them away entirely, or you accept them as a low percentage shot. For teams that try to take them away entirely, one good penetrating quard that can get to the rack can fuck your entire defense up. it is the reason so many teams are running this style of offense.

I don't forsee "tough defense" being a problem for this BC team and their style of play. I'm more worried about "cold shooting" and "teams that can outscore them".

I was not around to watch the game, but doesn't it sure sounds like Steve D thinks it is possible to defend the three and FSU does it well.

"They don't give you a clean look," first-year Boston College coach Steve Donahue said. "You have to play offense for 30 seconds and work your tail off on offense to get a good shot."

Not giving a clean look is exactly what I mean by defending the three. I saw you saying we should shoot over them and that is exactly the point. If we have to shoot over them that is harder then if they are not up in a shooters face. How'd that one good penetrating guard work out for us? Pretty sure Reggie qualifies and clearly that made no difference.

When I went back and watched the DVRd game, FSU won because they're more athletic and they have the size inside. They have shot blockers on the interior so when Reggie got to the basket, he'd get blocked. FSU is a much better team than BC. The only teams we can't play with are probably Duke and FSU in the ACC.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:32 pm

Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:

That's coach speak. BC had plenty of open looks, and inexplicably decided to drive into the defense instead of shooting. It was infuriating. It was as if the Don told them they wouldn't be able to get their shot off, so they tried to dribble penetrate into trouble without even checking if the shot was there. Only Trapani seemed to recognize that the threes were there to be had. Rubin was the worst offender.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby cvilleagle on Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:51 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:important question. after losing by that many points to fsu, can we still clinch an autobid if we win the acc tournament, or have we forfeited that option now?

It's gone.
cvilleagle
Devlin Hall

Previous

Return to Conte Forum