Why Alex Murphy Should Choose BC Over Duke

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Why Alex Murphy Should Choose BC Over Duke

Postby BC '00 on Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:54 pm

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:I don't mind Duke. The fans that come to Conte are reasonable people. I would much rather see Duke be successful than UNC, Maryland, NCSU, or VT. Many of the fans from those school suck.

I think you landed on an important distinction because the other schools you mentioned don't have legions of no-reason bandwagoneers (with the exception of UNC). The douches from those schools are their real fan base, which I am more or less OK with. The nothing-to-do-with or all-of-a-sudden Duke fans (similar to ND, Cowboys, or more recently Sawx fans) tend to be even worse than the actual Duke grads or similarly linked actual fans. This is far more intolerable than a mouthbreather with a stronger reason to pound their beer belly about their alma mater.

Building on Turd's excellent point, I found out several years ago that in a shitty little town in northern Connecticut named Danbury, the kids grow up as either Duke or North Carolina fans. I guess they just choose between the two when they're growing up because they're a bunch of front-running douchenozzles. This discovery was part of my discovery of the Douchiest Sports Fan on Earth. His favorite teams were: Dallas Cowboys, LA Lakers, NY Yankees, Duke Blue Devils, Colorado Avalanche (this was the early aught's), Brazil soccer.

A couple years after I stopped working with this guy, I was watching the BC-Duke ACCT Championship Game and got a text about "Dem Dookies" about 30 seconds after BC lost. This lobotomized twatmuffin had no discernable connection to the Dookies but felt the need to act superior for choosing them as a fan. That is the essence of Duke fandom and half the reason they're so despised. The other half is the fact that they play annoying basketball with a team full of awkward mongoloid white guys.
BC '00
Cushing Hall

Postby cvilleagle on Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:59 pm

BC '00 {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:I don't mind Duke. The fans that come to Conte are reasonable people. I would much rather see Duke be successful than UNC, Maryland, NCSU, or VT. Many of the fans from those school suck.

I think you landed on an important distinction because the other schools you mentioned don't have legions of no-reason bandwagoneers (with the exception of UNC). The douches from those schools are their real fan base, which I am more or less OK with. The nothing-to-do-with or all-of-a-sudden Duke fans (similar to ND, Cowboys, or more recently Sawx fans) tend to be even worse than the actual Duke grads or similarly linked actual fans. This is far more intolerable than a mouthbreather with a stronger reason to pound their beer belly about their alma mater.

Building on Turd's excellent point, I found out several years ago that in a shitty little town in northern Connecticut named Danbury, the kids grow up as either Duke or North Carolina fans. I guess they just choose between the two when they're growing up because they're a bunch of front-running douchenozzles. This discovery was part of my discovery of the Douchiest Sports Fan on Earth. His favorite teams were: Dallas Cowboys, LA Lakers, NY Yankees, Duke Blue Devils, Colorado Avalanche (this was the early aught's), Brazil soccer.

A couple years after I stopped working with this guy, I was watching the BC-Duke ACCT Championship Game and got a text about "Dem Dookies" about 30 seconds after BC lost. This lobotomized twatmuffin had no discernable connection to the Dookies but felt the need to act superior for choosing them as a fan. That is the essence of Duke fandom and half the reason they're so despised. The other half is the fact that they play annoying basketball with a team full of awkward mongoloid white guys.

I went to law school with a guy who was a Duke-NYY-Cowboys fan. I mean, he was from New Jersey and had gone to Duke, but I could never figure out that Cowboys connection. In any case, I actually liked the guy but I was also convinced that deep down, he was pure evil.
cvilleagle
Devlin Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:03 pm

BC '00 {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:

Just like I wouldn't want people to judge the BC fan base on bandwagon masshole fans (yes, some do exist, and more would exist if we actually competed for national championships), I'm not going judge Duke's fan base on random bandwagoners. I'd rather have an interaction with intelligent Duke alums/real fans than a NCSU alum/real fan who may shoot me in the parking lot. This is a no-brainer. It's like choosing between liberals and terrorists. Sure, extreme left-wingers are annoying, but they are much better than idiot terrorists.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:10 pm

Baltimore Eagle {l Wrote}:

I don't know what the world has come to if all reasonable people don't root against Duke no matter who they are playing. The only thing that can make any Duke fan tolerable is that they understand that there is such antipathy for them by the rest of the world they mute their dookieness when they aren't in the safe confines of Cameron Indoor.

Me either....I absolutely hate Duke. I'd cheer for the Iran National Basketball team before I'd cheer for Duke.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby cvilleagle on Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:15 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

I don't know what the world has come to if all reasonable people don't root against Duke no matter who they are playing. The only thing that can make any Duke fan tolerable is that they understand that there is such antipathy for them by the rest of the world they mute their dookieness when they aren't in the safe confines of Cameron Indoor.

Me either....I absolutely hate Duke. I'd cheer for the Iran National Basketball team before I'd cheer for Duke.

Yeah, which makes it kind of uncomfortable to have Coach K coaching Team USA. I mean, I'm patriotic and all, but Coach K?
cvilleagle
Devlin Hall

Postby Art Vandelay on Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:18 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

What is Duke plays Uconn? I can't root for Uconn under any circumstances. Same goes for West Virginia. I'm sure there are others.
Art Vandelay
McGuinn Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:47 pm

Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

What is Duke plays Uconn? I can't root for Uconn under any circumstances. Same goes for West Virginia. I'm sure there are others.

I'd root for any Big East school before I'd root for Duke.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby cvilleagle on Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:52 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
cvilleagle {l Wrote}:
BC '00 {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:

I went to law school with a guy who was a Duke-NYY-Cowboys fan. I mean, he was from New Jersey and had gone to Duke, but I could never figure out that Cowboys connection. In any case, I actually liked the guy but I was also convinced that deep down, he was pure evil.

oh, so you're a lawyer...

Maybe I dropped out of law school, or failed the bar. :slapfight
cvilleagle
Devlin Hall

Previous

Return to Conte Forum