GAMEDAY: CANES -4.5 IN MIAMI VS BC ESPNU 6PM EST

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: GAMEDAY: CANES -4.5 IN MIAMI VS BC ESPNU 6PM EST

Postby EagleDave on Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:31 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
EagleDave {l Wrote}:
Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:
bcnyceagle {l Wrote}:Fucking ref cost us the game on that no-call.

For what it's worth Reggie says it was clean block.

For what it's worth, replays showed that the Miami player got absolutely no part of the ball on that play. Props to Reggie for being the diplomat though.

The old saying of "games are never lost on a single play" is very true here. After having that 60-55 lead, they went comatose. They stopped moving the ball and everyone became a statue on the perimeter. Hard to score and win basketball games like that. The fact that the defense (what little of it there was) became an outright bull/matador impersonation in the last few minutes didn't help matters either.

This is another game that they'll file under the "ugh" category with Harvard and Yale if they don't make the tournament...

Losing to Miami on the road isn't as bad as those other losses. We partly screwed ourselves and partly got screwed by the refs. This is one we really needed but makes the game on Wed. night all the more important.

It's not a bad loss, but when it comes to making the tournament, this is a game they probably should have won. It's just another difficult game that goes in the L column was more my point.
Is this the 5 o'clock free crack giveaway?
EagleDave
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:07 pm

Just need to beat UVA on Wednesday. That game is very important with adventures to Talahassee and Durham upcoming (in other words, guaranteed losses)
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby GodofBeasts94 on Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:41 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:Just need to beat UVA on Wednesday. That game is very important with adventures to Talahassee and Durham upcoming (in other words, guaranteed losses)

I don't see FSU as a "guaranteed loss." A tough one to win, yes. But I give us a decent shot at a W if we shoot the ball well.
GodofBeasts94
Carney Hall

Postby Eagledom on Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:23 pm

GodofBeasts94 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:Just need to beat UVA on Wednesday. That game is very important with adventures to Talahassee and Durham upcoming (in other words, guaranteed losses)

I don't see FSU as a "guaranteed loss." A tough one to win, yes. But I give us a decent shot at a W if we shoot the ball well.

this team can beat Duke too. Not likely, but I like them taking 2 of the next 3.
Eagledom
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:05 pm

Eagledom {l Wrote}:
GodofBeasts94 {l Wrote}:

this team can beat Duke too. Not likely, but I like them taking 2 of the next 3.

You're legit on drugs if you think we're winning 2 of the next 3. We'll beat UVA, but we're not beating FSU or Duke on the road.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby cvilleagle on Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:33 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
Eagledom {l Wrote}:
GodofBeasts94 {l Wrote}:

You're legit on drugs if you think we're winning 2 of the next 3. We'll beat UVA, but we're not beating FSU or Duke on the road.

I don't love us to beat FSU, but on the other hand they're not a very high scoring team - we could easily be hitting our shots and outscore them.

FSU isn't a juggernaut - they lost to Auburn.
cvilleagle
Devlin Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:01 pm

cvilleagle {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
Eagledom {l Wrote}:
GodofBeasts94 {l Wrote}:

I don't love us to beat FSU, but on the other hand they're not a very high scoring team - we could easily be hitting our shots and outscore them.

FSU isn't a juggernaut - they lost to Auburn.

Have you seen them play defense? We're not going to score a whole lot against them.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby EagleDave on Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:50 pm

FSU also has a fuck ton of size...they're going to murder us...particularly on the road. They can (should?) beat UVA, but that reminds me a lot of the Miami game in the sense that it should be pretty tight. Duke speaks for it self.
Is this the 5 o'clock free crack giveaway?
EagleDave
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:28 am

EagleDave {l Wrote}:FSU also has a fuck ton of size...they're going to murder us...particularly on the road. They can (should?) beat UVA, but that reminds me a lot of the Miami game in the sense that it should be pretty tight. Duke speaks for it self.

Exactly. If the FSU or Duke games were at home, I'd give us a fighting chance but no way on the road. FSU is HUGE and will just kill us on the boards. In the next 4 games (UVA, @ FSU, @ Duke, UNC) I'd be thrilled if we went 2-2. FWIW, UNC went on the road last night and got absolutely blasted by Paul Hewitt and crew by 20+. I have a feeling UNC may just mail it in here pretty soon.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Mike_S on Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:35 pm

Sorry for the late rambling reply...I thought it was a really good game overall, way more entertaining than I expected.

Up to 60-55, I thought it was the best I've seen BC play as a team. Even though Miami had taken away the 3 for much of the game, and Reggie was super-quiet in the second half, the rest of the team was picking up the slack offensively. Props to Southern, Trapani, and Raji for a great effort.

From there to where the Canes hit the big 3 to go up 3 late, BC needed Reggie to make a play and for whatever reason he didn't. Worse, he only made 1 of 2 at the line when BC desperately needed every point. That said, he then hit the ridiculous deep 3 to bring BC back within a point, then deserved a foul call on the final drive, so I can't really complain too much.

And I loved seeing them trap down by 1 late (forcing the TO) when most teams would have fouled immediately. I have seen UCLA and others get key turnovers by not fouling in situations like that, it was awesome to see BC get one that way. Credit goes to Donahue.

Anyway, it was a really disappointing loss because it felt like BC was the better team most of the game. I was bummed about the clock issue at the end of the first half leading to the Miami 3, the phantom over-the-back call against Reggie (after Trapani probably should have gotten one but didn't), and especially the non-call late, but these things happen on the road -- and there's always a few like this in a close road loss. And Miami to their credit made the key three pointer and sank their free throws.

Anyway, Virginia is now a very important game as the next three after that are all going to be super-tough.
Mike_S
Carney Hall

Postby BC923 on Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:03 am

Mike_S {l Wrote}:Sorry for the late rambling reply...I thought it was a really good game overall, way more entertaining than I expected.

Up to 60-55, I thought it was the best I've seen BC play as a team. Even though Miami had taken away the 3 for much of the game, and Reggie was super-quiet in the second half, the rest of the team was picking up the slack offensively. Props to Southern, Trapani, and Raji for a great effort.

From there to where the Canes hit the big 3 to go up 3 late, BC needed Reggie to make a play and for whatever reason he didn't. Worse, he only made 1 of 2 at the line when BC desperately needed every point. That said, he then hit the ridiculous deep 3 to bring BC back within a point, then deserved a foul call on the final drive, so I can't really complain too much.

And I loved seeing them trap down by 1 late (forcing the TO) when most teams would have fouled immediately. I have seen UCLA and others get key turnovers by not fouling in situations like that, it was awesome to see BC get one that way. Credit goes to Donahue.

Anyway, it was a really disappointing loss because it felt like BC was the better team most of the game. I was bummed about the clock issue at the end of the first half leading to the Miami 3, the phantom over-the-back call against Reggie (after Trapani probably should have gotten one but didn't), and especially the non-call late, but these things happen on the road -- and there's always a few like this in a close road loss. And Miami to their credit made the key three pointer and sank their free throws.

Anyway, Virginia is now a very important game as the next three after that are all going to be super-tough.

all good points.
BC923
Merkert Hall

Previous

Return to Conte Forum