Inconsistent Play

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Inconsistent Play

Postby MOTO on Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:57 pm

The way I see it, this team seems to win league games and lose to bad teams like Yale. This is an inconsistent team. Being 3-0 in the league is better than being 0-3 though. If they win the ACC, they'll make the NCAA tournament.

That's the way I see it.
MOTO
n00b

Re: Inconsistent Play

Postby Logitano on Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:04 pm

MOTO {l Wrote}:The way I see it, this team seems to win league games and lose to bad teams like Yale. This is an inconsistent team. Being 3-0 in the league is better than being 0-3 though. If they win the ACC, they'll make the NCAA tournament.

That's the way I see it.

+10 :ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall

Postby floocher on Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:47 pm

Harvard was deeper, more athletic, and had a real center. They are a better team than this BC squad, and deserved to win. The Yale game was simply a BC no show. But your point about inconsistency is real. I think the Miami game on the road will show us something. Miami is deep and talented, though young, and has lost the last 2 ACC road games. They will be hungry - and they have a 300 pound 6'10" center.
floocher
n00b

Postby BCEagles25 on Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:30 pm

MOTO {l Wrote}:The way I see it, this team seems to win league games and lose to bad teams like Yale. This is an inconsistent team. Being 3-0 in the league is better than being 0-3 though. If they win the ACC, they'll make the NCAA tournament.

That's the way I see it.

I disagree.
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:44 am

floocher {l Wrote}:Harvard was deeper, more athletic, and had a real center. They are a better team than this BC squad, and deserved to win. The Yale game was simply a BC no show. But your point about inconsistency is real. I think the Miami game on the road will show us something. Miami is deep and talented, though young, and has lost the last 2 ACC road games. They will be hungry - and they have a 300 pound 6'10" center.

Miami also has a terrible coach, absolutely no idea how to play defense (probably a bad idea against a top 5 offense in the NCAA) and no home court advantage (although nor do we).
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby joemack13 on Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:56 am

BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:

That's the way I see it.

I disagree.

I don't think we've been inconsistent either. Our offense seems surprisingly consistent to me... I just think some of these teams which you deem bottom-of-the-barrel have come in with more fire and taken advantage of a shitty defense.

Yale is probably the exception (but I didn't see Yale)
joemack13
Campion Hall

Postby MaxxPower325 on Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:59 am

Any team that relies on the 3 as much as we do is gonna be inconsistent & have a couple of stinkers.

I'm really curious how this team would look with Sanders occupying Rubin's spot. This is assuming a level of buy-in I don't think he ever had in him, and I realize the chemistry would probably be a joke, but from purely an athletic standpoint it would be interesting.
MaxxPower325
Campion Hall

Postby BCEagles25 on Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:46 am

joemack13 {l Wrote}:
BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:

That's the way I see it.

I disagree.

I don't think we've been inconsistent either. Our offense seems surprisingly consistent to me... I just think some of these teams which you deem bottom-of-the-barrel have come in with more fire and taken advantage of a shitty defense.

Yale is probably the exception (but I didn't see Yale)

I don't think the offense has been inconsistent either, but I was kinda going along with the joke.
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby BCEagles25 on Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:51 am

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:hey duxbury... moto seems like the kind of guy that you should ask if he likes bc basketball and reassuring him that you like bc basketball. have you tried that yet?

I PM'ed him, and asked him if he wanted to hang out. I haven't gotten an answer yet.

Now that you mention it, I never usually get responses. Hmm. Weird. Except for snooptonydogg, that is. He actually PM'ed me first.
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby MOTO on Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:27 am

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:hey duxbury... moto seems like the kind of guy that you should ask if he likes bc basketball and reassuring him that you like bc basketball. have you tried that yet?

The way I see it, this is just a place for fans to interract and provide their view and insight as to the state of the Basketball program. I am a fan of Boston College basketball, I just wanted to point out that we have won some games and lost some games but if we can win the ACC we will be in the NCAA tournament.

We have a big game coming up against Miami University, and if we can outscore them we can win that game. It would be good to have another league win.

That's the way I see it.
MOTO
n00b

Postby EagleManiac66 on Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:17 pm

MOTO {l Wrote}:

The way I see it, this is just a place for fans to interract and provide their view and insight as to the state of the Basketball program. I am a fan of Boston College basketball, I just wanted to point out that we have won some games and lost some games but if we can win the ACC we will be in the NCAA tournament.

We have a big game coming up against Miami University, and if we can outscore them we can win that game. It would be good to have another league win.

That's the way I see it.

Does that mean that we'll lose if we don't outscore them? What a novel concept! By the way, even with the Yale and Harvard losses I don't believe that we must win the ACC to be in the NCAA tournament. Obviously, we'll get an automatic bid by winning the ACC tournament. However, if we can win at least 7 of our remaining 13 games (2 each with VA and VA Tech, the 1 game with Wake, plus 2 others) we'll be 20-9 overall (10-6 ACC). This year's team certainly has the ability to do this (although they can also have some surprising off nights as we've seen). Followed by a couple of wins in the ACC tournament, we should be in the NCAA's.

GO :screamyeagle :screamyeagle :screamyeagle !!!
EagleManiac66
Carney Hall

Postby Logitano on Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:28 pm

EagleManiac66 {l Wrote}:
MOTO {l Wrote}:

That's the way I see it.

Does that mean that we'll lose if we don't outscore them? What a novel concept! By the way, even with the Yale and Harvard losses I don't believe that we must win the ACC to be in the NCAA tournament. Obviously, we'll get an automatic bid by winning the ACC tournament. However, if we can win at least 7 of our remaining 13 games (2 each with VA and VA Tech, the 1 game with Wake, plus 2 others) we'll be 20-9 overall (10-6 ACC). This year's team certainly has the ability to do this (although they can also have some surprising off nights as we've seen). Followed by a couple of wins in the ACC tournament, we should be in the NCAA's.

You don't want BC to win the ACC? :ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall

Postby EagleManiac66 on Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:42 pm

Logitano {l Wrote}:
EagleManiac66 {l Wrote}:
MOTO {l Wrote}:

That's the way I see it.

Huh??? What gave you that impression. Of course I want them to win the ACC. I was just stating that, while this should be our goal, it isn't an all or nothing issue for getting an invite to the NCAA's. The Duke and NC games will be very tough. Can we win them? The 2 away games will be exceptionally difficult. The home game with NC is certainly a possibility. The game at Florida State is looking a lot tougher after last night. We have traditionally matched well against Miami. Winning both is well within the realm of possibility (we certainly have to be optimistic about winning at least 1). We should also win our home game against MD. The away game with Clemson is uncertain.
EagleManiac66
Carney Hall

Postby Art Vandelay on Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:50 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
Logitano {l Wrote}:
EagleManiac66 {l Wrote}:
MOTO {l Wrote}:

That's the way I see it.

i would just like to point out that if boston college basketball wins the acc regular season they are not automatically in the ncaa tournament. i still like boston college basketball and hope that they win the acc, but i do not think that it is likely that boston college basketball wins the acc regular season. this does not mean that i do not like boston college basketball, because i do like boston college basketball and i hope they win all of their basketballing contests

So do you like Boston College basketball or not?
Art Vandelay
McGuinn Hall

Postby eaglecaddy on Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:03 pm

Logitano {l Wrote}:
EagleManiac66 {l Wrote}:
MOTO {l Wrote}:

That's the way I see it.

i would just like to point out that if boston college basketball wins the acc regular season they are not automatically in the ncaa tournament. i still like boston college basketball and hope that they win the acc, but i do not think that it is likely that boston college basketball wins the acc regular season. this does not mean that i do not like boston college basketball, because i do like boston college basketball and i hope they win all of their basketballing contests

I agree the Yale loss forces us to win the ACC tournie to get that auto bid. Right now we are on pace to go undefeated in the ACC (regular season) and that probably sends us to the College Basketball Invitational as a 1 seed or a low seed in the CollegeInsider.com if we do not win the ACC tournament.
eaglecaddy
Campion Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:31 pm

Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:
Logitano {l Wrote}:
EagleManiac66 {l Wrote}:
MOTO {l Wrote}:

That's the way I see it.

So do you like Boston College basketball or not?

i like boston college basketball and boston college football but i am growing less fond of boston college as a whole. the nerds have destroyed the boston college that i liked before it got all filled with nerds. now i like boston college when its teams compete in sporting events but i do not like the younger fans that root for boston college sporting teams because they are nerds and usually do not attend the sporting events.

i do like boston college sporting teams and their players because even if their players are nerds they still attend the sporting events and support their sporting teams. i like boston college sports. i do not like boston college quiddich though because it is not a sport and is played by nerds and cheered for by nerds. if boston college quiddich were a sporting team i still would not like boston college quiddich but that would be the only sporting team from boston college that i did not like. luckily boston college quiddich is not a sporting team and therefore i can like all boston college sports and boston college sporting players.

When I was reading this, I couldn't help but hear Chris Klein's voice in my head. It reminds me of his speech in Election.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby EagleManiac66 on Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:33 pm

I stand by my earlier assertion that we can get into the NCAA tournament without getting the automatic bid that comes with winning the ACC tournament. Finishing the regular season with 20 or more wins (meaning that we finish ACC regular season play with 10 or more wins) coupled with 2 wins in the ACC tournament will get us a bid. Obviously, given our 3-0 start, we have higher goals in mind. :cheer :screamyeagle :cheer
EagleManiac66
Carney Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:43 pm

I'd like to point out that Duxbury makes the all-sarcasm team as a result of this thread. Nice work by the rookie.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby MOTO on Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:04 pm

EagleManiac66 {l Wrote}:

The way I see it, it would be ideal if we can go undefeated. Barring that, Boston College's best opportunity to play in, and win, the NCAA tournament would be to win the ACC tournament. If that happens, Boston College would receive a so-called automatic bid. That would mean there is no discretion by any committee other than where to seed the Boston College team, and that is the best scenario for the Eagles. Now you may disagree, but I think we are safest if you eliminate the discretion of men in closed door meetings who may not like Boston College. Every team's goal is to win the NCAA tournament, at least I hope it is ours, so winning the first seed in the ACC tournament and then winning the tournament would be helpful.

That's the way I see it.
MOTO
n00b

Postby angryty on Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:34 pm

True story. I have a great Uncle Pete. He lives in Yonkers. He is retired cop. Pete drinks a lot and is a virulent racist. In the early 60s Pete was a hell of a basketball player. Played with Charlie Criss at Gorton High School and New Mexico State (for the great Lou Henson) before doing a stint in the USMC and a tour in Nam. Anyway, despite being a racist, Pete liked to travel around Yonkers watching playground hoops and pointing out the best of the best. I recall as a small child he looked at future Marquette captain Bernard Toone, who was considered the best Yonkers player since some guy who starred for the Globetrotters back in the days that the Globetrotters routinely dismantled George Mikan's Minneapolis Lakers team and sneered derisively "He is no Jimmy Bostic and Charlie Criss would eat his fucking lunch."

Nowadays, Pete likes to drink at the Emerald Isle down on Lake Avenue next to Lemon Park and watch the street players play what he calls "African Handball". He shows up at Thanksgiving with a twelve pack of Hamm's because he can't stand "the fancy shit your old man serves" and pontificates about how much he loves to watch Duke, Wisconsin and Notre Dame and laments that "basketball hasn't been shit since people stopped shooting set shots."

What does this have to do with anything? Not much except I like basketball and while I do happen to like set shots, I also like slam dunks, jump shots and other things that Americans of West African descent tend to do well. I also like BC basketball and would like to see them win the ACC although I think it unlikely. And while I know our President has asked us to cut back on incendiary rhetoric I have to say that I favor sending a busload of paranoid schizophrenics armed with a 30-clip Glock to every Duke home game.

I respect all of you--except Logitano, who was a very mediocre point guard when he was a kid.
angryty
McGuinn Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:29 pm

I'm so fucking confused here. As a hoops weirdo, I demand this tom-foolery stop immediately.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:06 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:I'm so fucking confused here. As a hoops weirdo, I demand this tom-foolery stop immediately.

not until you admit that if bc were to win the acc tournament they would get an auto bid to the ncaa tournament

This entire thread is :orca and not amusing in the slightest. You're all :lame
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby EagleDave on Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:18 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:I'm so fucking confused here. As a hoops weirdo, I demand this tom-foolery stop immediately.

not until you admit that if bc were to win the acc tournament they would get an auto bid to the ncaa tournament

be that as it may, do you like bc basketball? i like bc basketball and hope they win all their basketball contests. i only fear that bc basketball relies on the 3 point shot significantly and that is a recipe to inconsistent play which may lead to bc basketball losses (which i don't like). even through inconsistent basketball, though, i still consistently like bc basketball.

Tomfoolery aside...you would think that the inconsistency thing would have popped up by now when it comes to 3 point shooting...but it really hasn't. They might have a game or 2 where they will look absolutely heinous (everyone does), but 75% of the time they're going to make a high percentage of those 3 balls. This team will win and lose games on the heels of its defense.
Is this the 5 o'clock free crack giveaway?
EagleDave
Merkert Hall

Postby BCEagles25 on Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:20 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

be that as it may, do you like bc basketball? i like bc basketball and hope they win all their basketball contests. i only fear that bc basketball relies on the 3 point shot significantly and that is a recipe to inconsistent play which may lead to bc basketball losses (which i don't like). even through inconsistent basketball, though, i still consistently like bc basketball.

If you consistently like BC basketball, why don't you marry it? I would marry it. I like BC Basketball more than any other basketball team.
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby angryty on Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:33 pm

I believe that it is still illegal to marry BC Basketball--even in Massachusetts. I think when Massachusetts decided to let fags marry each other someone pointed out that it was a slippery slope and if you allowed a couple of fags to marry eventually it would lead to people marrying all sorts of things, like for example, BC Basketball. The proponents of gay marriage said "don't be silly, we would never allow that to happen."

Me, I have come to accept the fact that I will not be allowed to marry BC basketball or BC hockey--either of which I would happily abandon my wife and children for. I used to feel this way of BC football but then it got fat and boring. In any case, since the state has decided that I cannot marry either BC basketball or hockey I have come to accept that the best I can do is go away to Maui for a romantic weekend with them from time to time. I hope my wife does not find out. I would hate to have a repeat of the incident that occured with Courtney Thorne Smith, only this time with BC Basketball or Hockey. My wife still hasn't gotten over that one and I imagine it would be even worse if I got caught with BC Basketball or Hockey or both. I have worked too damn hard to lose half of everything I have made.

I respect all of you.
angryty
McGuinn Hall

Postby EagleDave on Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:27 pm

angryty {l Wrote}:I believe that it is still illegal to marry BC Basketball--even in Massachusetts. I think when Massachusetts decided to let fags marry each other someone pointed out that it was a slippery slope and if you allowed a couple of fags to marry eventually it would lead to people marrying all sorts of things, like for example, BC Basketball. The proponents of gay marriage said "don't be silly, we would never allow that to happen."

Me, I have come to accept the fact that I will not be allowed to marry BC basketball or BC hockey--either of which I would happily abandon my wife and children for. I used to feel this way of BC football but then it got fat and boring. In any case, since the state has decided that I cannot marry either BC basketball or hockey I have come to accept that the best I can do is go away to Maui for a romantic weekend with them from time to time. I hope my wife does not find out. I would hate to have a repeat of the incident that occured with Courtney Thorne Smith, only this time with BC Basketball or Hockey. My wife still hasn't gotten over that one and I imagine it would be even worse if I got caught with BC Basketball or Hockey or both. I have worked too damn hard to lose half of everything I have made.

I respect all of you.

It is a well known fact that BC basketball will never go away to Maui...lest it meet hotter and more interesting programs.
Is this the 5 o'clock free crack giveaway?
EagleDave
Merkert Hall

Postby Hunta518 on Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:32 pm

just read this whole thread...

thought I was a hoops weirdo, guess I got a ways to go :cry:
Hunta518
Campion Hall

Postby Art Vandelay on Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:17 am

EagleDave {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

Tomfoolery aside...you would think that the inconsistency thing would have popped up by now when it comes to 3 point shooting...but it really hasn't. They might have a game or 2 where they will look absolutely heinous (everyone does), but 75% of the time they're going to make a high percentage of those 3 balls. This team will win and lose games on the heels of its defense.

Unlike eepstein I like to tomfoolery (and for the record I also like BC basketball)

I would also love to understand where you got the "75% of the time...." Apparently you like made up numbers as much as I like BC basketball. You sound like Paul Rudd in Anchorman talking about Sex Panther cologne - 60% of the time it works everytime"
Art Vandelay
McGuinn Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:54 am

I did not like BC Basketball under Coach Handsome.
I like BC Basketball under Steve Donahue.

:violin
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:05 am

angryty {l Wrote}:I believe that it is still illegal to marry BC Basketball--even in Massachusetts. I think when Massachusetts decided to let fags marry each other someone pointed out that it was a slippery slope and if you allowed a couple of fags to marry eventually it would lead to people marrying all sorts of things, like for example, BC Basketball. The proponents of gay marriage said "don't be silly, we would never allow that to happen."

I respect all of you.

CTS still looks great in her underwear. Saw her on 2.5. That kid now makes $8M a year at age 17.

I hate you Ty. But in 4 years. 11 months and 17 days I cna poke her with your $1M USD, enough wine and my Vegas suite, on your cuff.

One of my BC professors used the African Handball term when asking how the Celtics did one night when I would always divert the class agenda to Bruin Hockey and the NY Rangers Rivalry.

Hysteical.

I still have nightmare of Ace Bailey roofing Eddie Giacomin and going around patsy Brad Park.

Emile Francis and Gary Cheevers ruined my life.
FALL 2011 WILL BE THE BEST EVER FOR BC SPORTS AT THE HEIGHTS!

Rettigun leading our Football team to 14-0 and a Title!

The Hoops Freshman starting a new Legacy!
The Icemen returneth for another shot at Title 5!

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Next

Return to Conte Forum