NCST @ BC 9 pm ESPN U Gamethread

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: NCST @ BC 9 pm ESPN U Gamethread

Postby Brablc on Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:54 pm

Big Win that looked like it was slipping.

Like the resolve, onto the next game.
Brablc
McGuinn Hall

Postby claver2010 on Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:54 pm

Brablc {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:Gabe Moton is a damn good defensive player, as is Dallas Elmore.

Yeah offensively both need a lot of work. But both have good effort and skills defensively.

Agreed. I think Elmore can be a very valuable player if he can find some offensive game. We don't have enough behind Reggie to have a consistent liability on O.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:55 pm

Eagledom {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:I'm proud of Sothern tonight...he's done a bunch of things to win us this game.

southern is a hard worker. He does some nice things. Too slow to ever be called a "great low post defender" as TWB contends.

You don't have to have any speed to be a very good low post defender. No one is asking him to come off of his man and erase shots like *** *******. He needs to cover the best post player 5 feet and in, and he does a great job at it. And he doesn't need to be quick to do so.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:55 pm

3-0 in the ACC is a pretty damn good achievement, especially with a road win at Maryland at a home win against NCST. Onto Coral Gables.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:56 pm

BIKO.

Excuse me, but when did we become the maroon and tan?

I know I am old and senile and blind and deaf...has my color perception gone mad?
FALL 2011 WILL BE THE BEST EVER FOR BC SPORTS AT THE HEIGHTS!

Rettigun leading our Football team to 14-0 and a Title!

The Hoops Freshman starting a new Legacy!
The Icemen returneth for another shot at Title 5!

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:57 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
Brablc {l Wrote}:And Southern has a good stroke on the free throw.

Overall good game. Hit these and ice it, Jackson!

Our defense was 1,000,000 times better. Although true, I thought we played like crap on offense tonight. Reggie Jackson just went Superman tonight and won us this game.

Reggie kept the game tight when no one else was doing shit. Late threes by Raji and Paris (I believe they each had two), and an improved defensive effort won the game
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Eagledom on Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:58 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Eagledom {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:I'm proud of Sothern tonight...he's done a bunch of things to win us this game.

southern is a hard worker. He does some nice things. Too slow to ever be called a "great low post defender" as TWB contends.

You don't have to have any speed to be a very good low post defender. No one is asking him to come off of his man and erase shots like *** *******. He needs to cover the best post player 5 feet and in, and he does a great job at it. And he doesn't need to be quick to do so.

great...so he is a good low post defender against a big guy with no moves. You need quickness in the low post to defend a guy with any sort of moves...he can't do that.
Eagledom
Merkert Hall

Postby footer20 on Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:59 pm

Southern did a great job on Smith. He was on him when he went 0-4. Trap gave up probably 8 of those 20, and Dunn put his two cents in Smith's scoring totals. I'd like to see someone look at the game and give me those real stats: i bet I'm not too far off. Southern was to only one that could be put in with a small trust that Smith won't take over.
footer20
McGuinn Hall

Postby gaelfu on Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:59 pm

Nice win tonight, with the team definitely not playing their best. It's good to see we can still win conference games even when we're not shooting the lights out. Reggie Jackson is a special player to watch, and I hope he's around next year.

I'll be enjoying watching this team the rest of the year. I didn't expect anything out of them this year, and even if they wind up 4-12 after starting 3-0 in the ACC like 07, I'll still love watching Jackson.
tobaccoroadeagle is a giant flaming tool, Fight the good fight 74!
gaelfu
Carney Hall

Postby Eagledom on Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:59 pm

BCEagle74 {l Wrote}:BIKO.

Excuse me, but when did we become the maroon and tan?

I know I am old and senile and blind and deaf...has my color perception gone mad?

no - you are right, it was definitely more tan than gold...weird
Eagledom
Merkert Hall

Postby MattTheEagle on Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:00 pm

Significantly better defensive effort tonight. Great job BC!!! Let's keep it up!
MattTheEagle
Campion Hall

Postby SJeagle09 on Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:01 pm

Nice win. Great to see them not unravel as they let NC state take the lead. Some big three's even if Trap/Biko and Southern struggled from the field.

Like to see Dunn get a couple buckets
:pontif
SJeagle09
Cushing Hall

Postby EagleDave on Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:01 pm

For the record, it's entirely possible that Kendrick Perkins is the slowest basketball player alive and he's the best low post defender in the NBA by a mile.
Is this the 5 o'clock free crack giveaway?
EagleDave
Merkert Hall

Postby BC923 on Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:11 pm

good game. We played some good defense and Reggie was amazing. Trapani has gotten worse each season since Rice left, he's got to know that he is the 3rd-4th option on the team. We can compete in the ACC.
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby bceagles24 on Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:12 pm

The NCST board was fun to read there blasting us about how much we suck yet we beat them. Can't say I disagree with their comments on the crowd. :lame
bceagles24
Campion Hall

Postby BC923 on Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:22 pm

one thing that really bothers me about trapani is that even when he takes set shots he is always moving away from the basket.
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:26 pm

EagleDave {l Wrote}:For the record, it's entirely possible that Kendrick Perkins is the slowest basketball player alive and he's the best low post defender in the NBA by a mile.

Bingo.

I second footer's analysis. Southern is a very good one-on-one low post defender. It is pretty obvious, actually, and has been for a while.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby BC923 on Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:33 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
EagleDave {l Wrote}:For the record, it's entirely possible that Kendrick Perkins is the slowest basketball player alive and he's the best low post defender in the NBA by a mile.

Bingo.

I second footer's analysis. Southern is a very good one-on-one low post defender. It is pretty obvious, actually, and has been for a while.

i agree. he doesn't often let himself get out of position. In one sense his lack of quickness is good as it prevents him from biting on fakes.
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby bignick33 on Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:41 pm

Great D by Southern down the stretch.
I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby Chilltown on Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:44 pm

I know we don't always like to bring stats in, but up until this game, Southern had been posted up (in single coverage) 14 times this season, and had given up 12 points. These stats come from a company that logs college and pro basketball games. They rate that as "poor" post defense. This is not to say he did not play well tonight (I think he played very well), but the body of work is not good.
Chilltown
n00b

Postby branchinator on Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:04 am

Dwight Howard says hi. But point taken.
branchinator
Cushing Hall

Postby BCeezy on Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:11 am

Reggie was an absolute animal tonight, enough said.

Southern did a great job on Smith. He got his 18-20 but that's about what he's going to average, and he did it shooting ~50% which again is just what he does. Josh played really well and forced him into a few of those little jump hooks just a tad outside his comfort zone and he front-rimmed them. And at 6'10, he isn't even a liability to shoot FT's, as he was clutch down the stretch in that respect also.

Corey continues to play well and Traps is still struggling offensively, but his 12 boards were huge tonight. Rebounding seemed so much more aggressive tonight by the team than the past few games.

Interesting to see Dunn was back in the rotation also.

Biko's 3 was HUGE, completely put BC in charge.

Rubin has absolutely disappeared scoring, although he did pull down quite a few boards tonight.

Overall, big win and very nice to start 3-0 in the ACC.

Another big game coming up at Miami on Saturday.

Edit: Also, some kid hit the half court shot at half time to win some gift certificate which was pretty cool haha
BCeezy
Carney Hall

Postby chughes543 on Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:32 am

chughes543 {l Wrote}:BC 75
NCState 69

Damn, just missed.
chughes543
n00b

Postby Art Vandelay on Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:55 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
Brablc {l Wrote}:And Southern has a good stroke on the free throw.

Overall good game. Hit these and ice it, Jackson!

Our defense was 1,000,000 times better. Although true, I thought we played like crap on offense tonight. Reggie Jackson just went Superman tonight and won us this game.

Never thought I'd be saying this about this team but the defense absolutely won that game. Other than Trapani (who got pushed around and scored on at will) I thought everyone put in a good defensive effort. Now lets hope they can do that on a consistent basis.
Art Vandelay
McGuinn Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:10 am

I want a 6 seed for the Maroon and now Tan and beat an 11. Beat the 2 in Round 2 and you have your chance for an upset.

Season Opener March 17th, Thursday St. Patrick's Day. Amybe we get the luck of our founders, the working clas Irish Mooks....now struggling to get admission with other working class Catholics....from the families and alumni that built BC.

Disgraciad.
FALL 2011 WILL BE THE BEST EVER FOR BC SPORTS AT THE HEIGHTS!

Rettigun leading our Football team to 14-0 and a Title!

The Hoops Freshman starting a new Legacy!
The Icemen returneth for another shot at Title 5!

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby 2001Eagle on Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:47 am

BC923 {l Wrote}:one thing that really bothers me about trapani is that even when he takes set shots he is always moving away from the basket.

I agree. Trapani's offensive game was driving me nuts last night. That said, he clearly put in more effort on the boards than usual - he had 12 last night. And while he got beat by Smith several times, it seemed like Trapani was buying in to putting more effort in on the defensive side.

It may be that he's just not talented enough to consistently play good O and good D in the ACC. Perhaps putting in the D effort saps his offensive game. I'm not sure. But Trapani does seem to be the X factor on this team. You know what you're going to get night in and night out from the other guys. If Trapani can settle in and consistently give us 12 and 10 (on better than 33% shooting), it'll be a great help.
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby screagle on Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:00 am

2001Eagle {l Wrote}:
BC923 {l Wrote}:one thing that really bothers me about trapani is that even when he takes set shots he is always moving away from the basket.

I agree. Trapani's offensive game was driving me nuts last night. That said, he clearly put in more effort on the boards than usual - he had 12 last night. And while he got beat by Smith several times, it seemed like Trapani was buying in to putting more effort in on the defensive side.

It may be that he's just not talented enough to consistently play good O and good D in the ACC. Perhaps putting in the D effort saps his offensive game. I'm not sure. But Trapani does seem to be the X factor on this team. You know what you're going to get night in and night out from the other guys. If Trapani can settle in and consistently give us 12 and 10 (on better than 33% shooting), it'll be a great help.

the problem with trap is he forces too much on offense. he plays hard, but he feels compelled to try to score every time he has the ball vs. making that extra pass. oddly, he seems to get a free pass from the don.
screagle
Carney Hall

Postby cameagle on Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:39 am

Re: the uniform colors

I asked my daughter what color they were and she said" since when do they wear peach?"
very odd color especially in contrast to the gold undershirts
cameagle
Carney Hall

Previous

Return to Conte Forum