Don't worry about style points . . .

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Don't worry about style points . . .

Postby Ohioeagle on Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:18 pm

Just take the win and get ready for Tuesday.
Better free throw shooting this year does helps out I reckon. . . :cheer :cheer :cheer
Ohioeagle
Carney Hall

Re: Don't worry about style points . . .

Postby twballgame9 on Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:19 pm

I didn't notice any good free throw shooting. It was atrocious down the stretch.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Ohioeagle on Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:28 pm

Yeah, 21 out of 29 from the line still leaves room for improvement, but is still better than last year. 55% from the field, though, is pretty decent, and 8 out of 9 and 6 out of 6 from the line for Reggie, is okay as well. Too much for GT to surge all the way back. GT makes a run, falls short, falls back. Happens all the time in hoops.
Ohioeagle
Carney Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:32 pm

Ohioeagle {l Wrote}:Yeah, 21 out of 29 from the line still leaves room for improvement, but is still better than last year. 55% from the field, though, is pretty decent, and 8 out of 9 and 6 out of 6 from the line for Reggie, is okay as well. Too much for GT to surge all the way back. GT makes a run, falls short, falls back. Happens all the time in hoops.

Quoting the stats misses the point. They missed 1-and-1s (Trapani at least once) and the poor free throw shooting kept it relatively close. The FT shooting seemed better earlier in the year, but it has been bad lately. And the turnovers are getting pretty bad.

And at the end of the day, the defense sucks.

I love the new offensive efficiency. I love the shooting. But relying on it to win is a recipe for disasters like Yale and Harvard. They will win their fair share (I said 20) and have plenty of talent, but this is a greatly flawed basketball team. I am looking forward to net year's class coming in.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:28 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}: and have plenty of talent

Not true.

Reggie is the only ACC starter.

Biko, Corey, & Trap can be bench players in teh ACC.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:35 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:

Not true.

Seen most of the ACC. This is absolutely not even close to true.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby BC923 on Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:52 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:

Not true.

we don't have enough talent TW.
in tiers this is how they would shake down at an average ACC program
Elite ACC Player: Reggie
ACC Role players/borderline starters: Trap, Corey, Biko
Bench contributors: Southern of this year
End of bench guys: Elmore, Rubin
Not making any other ACC team: Moton, Cahill, Kowalski, Dunn

This is not an indictment on the players above, i love the way they play, and they play well for us, but transplanted anywhere else we don't have much talent.
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:04 pm

BC923 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:

Not true.

This is not an indictment on the players above, i love the way they play, and they play well for us, but transplanted anywhere else we don't have much talent.

This sniffs of trying to make the Don look good. You obviously haven't seen many ACC games. The league is pretty shitty.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby BC923 on Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:24 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
BC923 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:

Not true.

This sniffs of trying to make the Don look good. You obviously haven't seen many ACC games. The league is pretty shitty.

pointing out facts has no agenda. Athletically these guys don't match up in the ACC. If I sound like that then you sound like you are defending skinner's recruiting.
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:31 pm

The ACC sucks, a lot. This team can play with anyone in the league not named Duke.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby BCEagles25 on Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:36 am

This league was a lot more talented four or five years ago, methinks. These players have been molded to fit the system, which is why the work.

Corey, Trap, Reggie= ACC caliber
Paris= If not a legit ACC player, a good bench guy. This year, he's legit ACC.
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby RedBaron67 on Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:03 am

BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:This league was a lot more talented four or five years ago, methinks. These players have been molded to fit the system, which is why the work.

I think you're right. People's perceptions still tend to be bent by the ACC's glory days some few years back (as well as Duke's endless TV appearances). The present BC team may still be below the conference median in talent, but in today's ACC it's not that far below.
RedBaron67
Campion Hall

Postby BCeezy on Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:17 am

BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:This league was a lot more talented four or five years ago, methinks. These players have been molded to fit the system, which is why the work.

Agree 100%. Those are our four best players and I believe that Reggie (obviously) and Corey are absolutely ACC starters. Traps is on the border but I think he has to be as good as the average forward in the league.

And I think Biko is a great rotation guy for the ACC, but as you said he is definitely an average starting guard in the league.
BCeezy
Carney Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:18 am

BCeezy {l Wrote}:

Agree 100%. Those are our four best players and I believe that Reggie (obviously) and Corey are absolutely ACC starters. Traps is on the border but I think he has to be as good as the average forward in the league.

And I think Biko is a great rotation guy for the ACC, but as you said he is definitely an average starting guard in the league.

Just noting that Corey doesn't start on his own team.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby BCeezy on Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:21 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
BCeezy {l Wrote}:

Haha very true, but I think that he is the second best player on this team, and by quite a decent margin over either Biko or Traps. I've been a little confused as to why he didn't start, but I'm sure the Don has some reasoning. Maybe he likes the offense he brings off the bench?

I think Corey is clearly better than Traps but for some reason or another is the 6th man, and he gets subbed in within a minute and a half every game at the first whistle.
BCeezy
Carney Hall

Postby RedBaron67 on Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:53 am

BCeezy {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
BCeezy {l Wrote}:

Haha very true, but I think that he is the second best player on this team, and by quite a decent margin over either Biko or Traps. I've been a little confused as to why he didn't start, but I'm sure the Don has some reasoning. Maybe he likes the offense he brings off the bench?

I think Corey is clearly better than Traps but for some reason or another is the 6th man, and he gets subbed in within a minute and a half every game at the first whistle.

It undoubtedly has to do with matters of team chemistry, including Donahue's desire to reward Rubin for working hard in practice and Raji's ability to come off the bench and play at full energy immediately. It isn't much of a strain because Raji is playing starter's minutes, even if he's the 6th man on paper. This wrinkle of playing one of the top 5 players as a 6th man is pretty unusual, but not unprecedented; back in the 1970's, the Celtics did it regularly with Paul Silas.
RedBaron67
Campion Hall

Postby Art Vandelay on Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:46 am

BCeezy {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
BCeezy {l Wrote}:

The ACC is not as good as years past, but if Corey is the 2nd best player on your team then you don't have enough talent. A lot of the teams that are not that good this year are in that position because their coach sucks, they are very young or some combination of those. Comparing man for man we have less talent then most teams in the conference. That doesn't mean they are better then us becuase the whole can be greater than the sum of its parts, but when talking about talent don't confuse having a bunch of good players and having a good team.
Art Vandelay
McGuinn Hall

Postby floocher on Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:33 am

Raji's stats would suggest that he is the second best player on BC, and a very good ACC player this year. He is scoring 12.5 pts, 16th in the ACC. He is rebounding at 6.9, or 11th in the ACC. He is shooting 54%, which would put him third in the ACC. He is also shooting 35% from three - decent. His free throw % is at 77% - decent. He has a total of 9 turnovers in 14 games -stellar, especially compared to Reggie's 37, Trap's 30, and Biko's 33. Why don't fans see this?
floocher
n00b

Postby pick6pedro on Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:35 am

RedBaron67 {l Wrote}:
BCeezy {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
BCeezy {l Wrote}:

It undoubtedly has to do with matters of team chemistry, including Donahue's desire to reward Rubin for working hard in practice and Raji's ability to come off the bench and play at full energy immediately. It isn't much of a strain because Raji is playing starter's minutes, even if he's the 6th man on paper. This wrinkle of playing one of the top 5 players as a 6th man is pretty unusual, but not unprecedented; back in the 1970's, the Celtics did it regularly with Paul Silas.

Having solid players coming off the bench is often more important than having your best 5 start (as long as those solid guys are getting starter minutes). It helps to stagger the talent so there's not a huge dropoff when subbing starts. As an intramural player/manager I figured this out rather quickly with our out of shape ragtag bunch - we would get a lead and then after subbing out many of our best players, we'd lose it because of a huge talent decline. So I sat myself (what a martyr!) and became a 6th man. We started winning because there was far more balance to the line shifts. Sadly, our wheezing butts did not make a championship run.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby Art Vandelay on Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:48 am

floocher {l Wrote}:Raji's stats would suggest that he is the second best player on BC, and a very good ACC player this year. He is scoring 12.5 pts, 16th in the ACC. He is rebounding at 6.9, or 11th in the ACC. He is shooting 54%, which would put him third in the ACC. He is also shooting 35% from three - decent. His free throw % is at 77% - decent. He has a total of 9 turnovers in 14 games -stellar, especially compared to Reggie's 37, Trap's 30, and Biko's 33. Why don't fans see this?

OK one comment on your stats. Comparing his turnover numbers to Biko and Reggie who are the primary ball handlers makes no sense and the fact the Trap has 30 is a knock on him more than a positive for Raji. That said, I think Raji is having a very good year, but in a way you are making my point. Raji is the second best player on the team and has limited talent. Don't get me wrong becuase I like the guy. He has a nose for the ball, is a very good offensive rebounder and unlike years past can hit his layups. His game has improved and he is definitely a guy you like having on your team, but he should not be the 2nd best player on an ACC team.

Also don't get too hung up on stats. His stats always look better going into conference play than they do at the end of the year. If you've watched him play over the past few years you know he has always been a good 6th man type and this year has probably worked himself into being a borderline starter.
Art Vandelay
McGuinn Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:18 pm

Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:
floocher {l Wrote}:Raji's stats would suggest that he is the second best player on BC, and a very good ACC player this year. He is scoring 12.5 pts, 16th in the ACC. He is rebounding at 6.9, or 11th in the ACC. He is shooting 54%, which would put him third in the ACC. He is also shooting 35% from three - decent. His free throw % is at 77% - decent. He has a total of 9 turnovers in 14 games -stellar, especially compared to Reggie's 37, Trap's 30, and Biko's 33. Why don't fans see this?

OK one comment on your stats. Comparing his turnover numbers to Biko and Reggie who are the primary ball handlers makes no sense and the fact the Trap has 30 is a knock on him more than a positive for Raji. That said, I think Raji is having a very good year, but in a way you are making my point. Raji is the second best player on the team and has limited talent. Don't get me wrong becuase I like the guy. He has a nose for the ball, is a very good offensive rebounder and unlike years past can hit his layups. His game has improved and he is definitely a guy you like having on your team, but he should not be the 2nd best player on an ACC team.

Also don't get too hung up on stats. His stats always look better going into conference play than they do at the end of the year. If you've watched him play over the past few years you know he has always been a good 6th man type and this year has probably worked himself into being a borderline starter.

Agree with your assessment of Raji; don't agree that he is the second "most talented" player on the team, which is what this thread is about, not stats.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Art Vandelay on Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:31 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:

Agree with your assessment of Raji; don't agree that he is the second "most talented" player on the team, which is what this thread is about, not stats.

Just curious...who do you think is second most talented? I feel I can safely say its not Southern or Dunn.
Art Vandelay
McGuinn Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:36 pm

Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:

Just curious...who do you think is second most talented? I feel I can safely say its not Southern or Dunn.

Basketball talent, and not athleticism or performance, correct? Reggie, Traps, Biko, Raji.

Performance and athletic ability - Reggie, then Raji.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby BCEagles25 on Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:23 pm

floocher {l Wrote}: Why don't fans see this?

Well, they do now.
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Return to Conte Forum