Georgia Tech Game Thread

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Georgia Tech Game Thread

Postby ryrob on Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:46 pm

And the lead quickly evaporates just as it always does. They are really bad at closing out games.
ryrob
Merkert Hall

Postby claver2010 on Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:47 pm

Southern! Big shot
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby ryrob on Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:47 pm

The sad part is that defense is 80-90% effort. We're certainly not lacking for athletes.
ryrob
Merkert Hall

Postby claver2010 on Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:47 pm

Some noise from the Conte morgue!
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:49 pm

ryrob {l Wrote}:The sad part is that defense is 80-90% effort. We're certainly not lacking for athletes.

This. For all of the nonsensical talk of diving on the floor, I'd prefer to see some dudes make the effort to move their feet an cover someone.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Hunta518 on Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:50 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
ryrob {l Wrote}:The sad part is that defense is 80-90% effort. We're certainly not lacking for athletes.

This. For all of the nonsensical talk of diving on the floor, I'd prefer to see some dudes make the effort to move their feet an cover someone.

+1
Hunta518
Campion Hall

Postby ryrob on Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:53 pm

For all the talk about BC being good with the ball, we've sure turned it over a shitload the last 5 games or so.
ryrob
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:00 pm

I crap on him when he plays poorly, so it is only fair that I say Raji had a really nice game tonight - letting the game come to him.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Hunta518 on Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:00 pm

Jesus Christ trapani hit ur free throws
Hunta518
Campion Hall

Postby claver2010 on Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:09 pm

Solid win for BC, I hate when teams foul when the game is out of reach (down 11 with 5 sec to go).

2-0 is nice in the ACC, let's go on a little run here.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby Art Vandelay on Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:13 pm

I was at the game today and have a few things that I observed and either learned or confirmed today:

1) The crowd was larger than expected and got loud once or twice when told to by the video board so at least the Conte crowd can follow instructions
2) Raji played a pretty solid game
3) BC is the worst defenseive team I have ever seen with the possible exception of Georgia Tech
4 Southern proved he is a waste of space who is 6'10 but plays about 5'10"
5) Trapani would have been all America East Conference, but sucks as an ACC player
6) This team is going to be pretty good next year
Art Vandelay
McGuinn Hall

Postby bluefishskip on Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:43 pm

I think Trapani is a very skilled player. The voters for the all-ACC teams felt so too last year, as he was 3rd Team All-ACC. With that said, I think that his skillset is more like a European big man, and not as a low post/inside guy. When he gets the ball down low, I think he tries to do too much. His freshman year at UVM, he was a 40% 3 pt shooter. Put up 21 at Michigan State, 13 at BC (6-9 from field). Had 6 20 pt. games as a Freshman (sure most were against lower competition compared to today), before getting hurt and never being the same. He was listed at 215 his freshman year (vs. 232 now). Maybe the 17 pounds has hampered his play?

Overall, I get frustrated at Joe for trying to do too much sometimes, but the constant bashing....not sure if it's entirely warranted.
bluefishskip
Carney Hall

Postby joemack13 on Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:56 pm

bluefishskip {l Wrote}:I think Trapani is a very skilled player. The voters for the all-ACC teams felt so too last year, as he was 3rd Team All-ACC. With that said, I think that his skillset is more like a European big man, and not as a low post/inside guy. When he gets the ball down low, I think he tries to do too much. His freshman year at UVM, he was a 40% 3 pt shooter. Put up 21 at Michigan State, 13 at BC (6-9 from field). Had 6 20 pt. games as a Freshman (sure most were against lower competition compared to today), before getting hurt and never being the same. He was listed at 215 his freshman year (vs. 232 now). Maybe the 17 pounds has hampered his play?

Overall, I get frustrated at Joe for trying to do too much sometimes, but the constant bashing....not sure if it's entirely warranted.

I think people are just disappointed when they compare him to what they thought he could be (he was great his first year at BC), and how he's progressed compared to the rest of the team. When I say people I mean me, I'm not sure if that's why other people are down on him. Overall he's one of the best players on the team (our cup overfloweth), he just forces it ENTIRELY too much.
joemack13
Campion Hall

Postby BC923 on Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:12 pm

I was at the game today.

-Really nice attendance
-Reggie could have scored 40 the way he was playing but the calls on him were horrendous
-Very nice game for the Moton/Paris combination, not necessarily scoring the ball but they both looked very good, Moton is improved
-Southern had some nice moments, and some bad moments
-I'm not sure what is wrong with the defense, it must be the size issue because our guys are always on their man and getting hands in the face of shooters. Theres something wrong but i can't put my finger on it
-Raji had an outstanding game, he was really a leader on the court as well.
-Rubin was very active in the press and looked very good doing so. He is only really a set shooter though
-Elmore is lost on offense, but looks good defensively
-Trapani can't finish at the same level that he used to.
-We are doing everything we can on defense, but I just don't think we have the size/depth combination to play good defense.
-Reggie=human highlight reel
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby Eagledom on Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:30 pm

joemack13 {l Wrote}:
bluefishskip {l Wrote}:I think Trapani is a very skilled player. The voters for the all-ACC teams felt so too last year, as he was 3rd Team All-ACC. With that said, I think that his skillset is more like a European big man, and not as a low post/inside guy. When he gets the ball down low, I think he tries to do too much. His freshman year at UVM, he was a 40% 3 pt shooter. Put up 21 at Michigan State, 13 at BC (6-9 from field). Had 6 20 pt. games as a Freshman (sure most were against lower competition compared to today), before getting hurt and never being the same. He was listed at 215 his freshman year (vs. 232 now). Maybe the 17 pounds has hampered his play?

Overall he's one of the best players on the team (our cup overfloweth), he just forces it ENTIRELY too much.

I hope the parenthetical remark was a joke. The second part I agree with.
Eagledom
Merkert Hall

Postby Art Vandelay on Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:58 am

BC923 {l Wrote}:I was at the game today.

-Really nice attendance
-Reggie could have scored 40 the way he was playing but the calls on him were horrendous
-Very nice game for the Moton/Paris combination, not necessarily scoring the ball but they both looked very good, Moton is improved
-I'm not sure what is wrong with the defense, it must be the size issue because our guys are always on their man and getting hands in the face of shooters. Theres something wrong but i can't put my finger on it
-Rubin was very active in the press and looked very good doing so. He is only really a set shooter though
-We are doing everything we can on defense, but I just don't think we have the size/depth combination to play good defense.

The calls on Reggie were not horrendous and only a blatant homer would say that. He needs to stop driving into guys and then extending his arm and pushing off to create separation. He did it 2 or 3 times and didn't get it called as well. That is too easy a call when you do repeatedly right in front of a ref.
Art Vandelay
McGuinn Hall

Postby Art Vandelay on Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:05 am

joemack13 {l Wrote}:

I think people are just disappointed when they compare him to what they thought he could be (he was great his first year at BC), and how he's progressed compared to the rest of the team. When I say people I mean me, I'm not sure if that's why other people are down on him. Overall he's one of the best players on the team (our cup overfloweth), he just forces it ENTIRELY too much.

What bothers me about Trapani is he has some size but plays soft. He gets pushed around under the basket because he doesnt use that 232 pounds the way he should. He has slow feet which shows up on both ends of the floor. I had hoped he would develop some over the past few years but if anything he has regressed. And don't pull out his stats and say how skilled he is. Someone had to score last year and he and Jackson were basically the only options. Watching him play you can not really say he has a lot of skill.
Art Vandelay
McGuinn Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:14 am

I'm just happy we won, but we're not beating NCST with that type of defensive effort. At least humor me and try on defense guys.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby bcmurph on Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:34 am

Of course the catch-22, if they're not good defenders, is foul trouble which they obviously can't afford either...I would like to see them use that little half court trap a bit more, to at least slow the other team down from getting into their stuff. They seemed to have some success with it in the Old Spice tournament...
"Stay with this young team - there are great days ahead." Coach Donahue tweet 2/19/2012 -
bcmurph
McGuinn Hall

Postby BC923 on Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:56 am

Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:

-Really nice attendance

The calls on Reggie were not horrendous and only a blatant homer would say that. He needs to stop driving into guys and then extending his arm and pushing off to create separation. He did it 2 or 3 times and didn't get it called as well. That is too easy a call when you do repeatedly right in front of a ref.

They were fouls, but they were horrendous in the fact that as a ref you do not call that as a 4th foul with 8 or so minutes left in the game, especially when it isn't effecting the play.
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby footer20 on Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:04 pm

I think trapani was made a better player by Tyrese Rice. Rice became a leader and distributor in his senior season and really clicked with Trap. The most vivid memory from the Duke game was when Rice hit trap for an oop dunk and the crowd exploded. Trapani also realized that Rice was the go to guy and that the amount of Rice's shots took priority over his own. In the last two years, he has been labeled as a go to guy with Reggie. This bigger role has seemed to get in his head as he forces an amazing amount of shots, and tries to do stuff he can't. He is a face up big man that should be averaging 14 points, 6 rebounds and playing within the flow of the game. He has been better in the last few games, but we are going to need him down the stretch.
footer20
McGuinn Hall

Postby Art Vandelay on Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:25 pm

BC923 {l Wrote}:
Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:

-Really nice attendance

They were fouls, but they were horrendous in the fact that as a ref you do not call that as a 4th foul with 8 or so minutes left in the game, especially when it isn't effecting the play.

A foul is a foul and a good ref doesn't change a call based on how many fouls a guy has or how much time is left. Frankly I don't even know how the ref would know how many fouls a particular guy had. Blaming the refs is lazy. Reggie is an outstanding player and needs to be smarter. He should know he has 3 fouls and there are 8 minutes left and pushing off the guy is not going to affect the play and therefore not do it.
Art Vandelay
McGuinn Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:40 pm

Boston College Eagles
STARTERS MIN FGM-A 3PM-A FTM-A OREB REB AST STL BLK TO PF PTS
Joe Trapani, F 31 2-7 0-2 2-5 2 9 1 1 1 1 3 6
Josh Southern, C 13 2-2 0-0 4-4 0 3 0 1 0 0 0 8
Reggie Jackson, G 26 8-9 3-3 6-6 1 2 3 1 1 7 4 25
Biko Paris, G 34 2-8 0-4 7-9 0 4 7 0 0 1 1 11
Danny Rubin, G 22 2-4 2-3 0-0 0 1 0 1 0 1 0 6
BENCH MIN FGM-A 3PM-A FTM-A OREB REB AST STL BLK TO PF PTS
Gabriel Moton, G 24 2-4 1-2 0-2 2 3 0 2 0 1 2 5
Corey Raji, F 33 9-13 2-3 2-3 3 9 2 0 0 2 2 22 Chris Kowalski, F 1 0-0 0-0 0-0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Dallas Elmore, G 16 1-4 1-2 0-0 0 2 1 0 0 1 1 3
TOTALS FGM-A 3PM-A FTM-A OREB REB AST STL BLK TO PF PTS
28-51 9-19 21-29 8 33 14 6 2 14 13 86
54.9% 47.4% 72.4%
FALL 2011 WILL BE THE BEST EVER FOR BC SPORTS AT THE HEIGHTS!

Rettigun leading our Football team to 14-0 and a Title!

The Hoops Freshman starting a new Legacy!
The Icemen returneth for another shot at Title 5!

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Previous

Return to Conte Forum