We'll be 3-0 in ACC Play

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: We'll be 3-0 in ACC Play

Postby branchinator on Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:36 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:Just so everyone knows, we're going to take care of GT and NCST (close game though) to start ACC play 3-0. Sets up a huge game next Saturday Night in Coral Gables.

This team isn't really very good, and their defense is top 10 worst in the nation, but GT and NCST are :orca

You should start a thread saying we'll be 5-0 in ACC play. Let's see how far you can take this.
branchinator
Cushing Hall

Postby guru2 on Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:52 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}::popcorn

Hey, I only said not to be so quick to chalk it up as a win. They put up a damn good fight on the road.

That brilliant play with about 3:30 left in the game where Lowe forgot to remind his team about the shot clock and they took a 40 foot jump shot for a shot clock violation shows you why we can beat times like that. The difference in coaching is vast between Donahue and a guy like Sidney Lowe who I think has a conference record of 21-49 over the last 6 years. I think this is the reason the ACC is so down. There's three elite coaches (Coach K and Gary Williams), one elite recruiter (Roy), there's some solid coaches (Mark Bennett, Donahue and I'll even throw Seth Greenberg in here, some unknowns (Clemson and Wake) and there there's the group of :orca (Hewitt, Haith, Lowe). I'll give Leonard Hamilton some credit, he has improved a lot over the last few years as evidenced by his teams defense.

corrected
guru2
Carney Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:06 pm

branchinator {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:Just so everyone knows, we're going to take care of GT and NCST (close game though) to start ACC play 3-0. Sets up a huge game next Saturday Night in Coral Gables.

This team isn't really very good, and their defense is top 10 worst in the nation, but GT and NCST are :orca

You should start a thread saying we'll be 5-0 in ACC play. Let's see how far you can take this.

Eh I'm feeling like this Miami game could be a little tricky. Miami is 0-2 in conference and is really going to need a win where we're 3-0 and may not have the same urgency. UVA at home without their best players should be fine next Wednesday Night. Outside of Frank Haith being their Coach, someone convince me we'll beat Miami and I'll open up th e5-0 thread.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby BCeezy on Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:22 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:Eh I'm feeling like this Miami game could be a little tricky. Miami is 0-2 in conference and is really going to need a win where we're 3-0 and may not have the same urgency. UVA at home without their best players should be fine next Wednesday Night. Outside of Frank Haith being their Coach, someone convince me we'll beat Miami and I'll open up th e5-0 thread.

Wish I could but I also think it's going to be a tricky game. All of their losses are to good opponents (besides maybe Rutgers) and we will be on the road. As you pointed out, they also need an ACC win badly. If we can sneak out of Coral Gables with a win though, then I think we will handle business against UVA and head to FSU at 5-0 in the ACC.
BCeezy
Carney Hall

Postby BCeezy on Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:34 pm

Also, looking at Maryland's schedule so far, they look like a sneaky good team at 10-5. Their 5 losses are all close games to BC, Duke, Pitt, Illinois, and Temple (4 ranked teams, and us).

And all of their wins are against awful teams. Their best win is Penn St. (who actually has beaten MSU and Illinois in back to back games), but besides that, their next best win is College of Charleston according to KenPom

Wins
268 Seattle
100 College of Charleston
186 Maine
266 Delaware St.
217 Elon
70 Penn St.
294 NC Greensboro
331 Nj Institute of Technology
253 North Florida
337 Colgate

Losses
6 Pittsburgh
16 Illinois
35 Temple
54 BC
1 Duke
BCeezy
Carney Hall

Postby cvilleagle on Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:05 pm

BCeezy {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:Eh I'm feeling like this Miami game could be a little tricky. Miami is 0-2 in conference and is really going to need a win where we're 3-0 and may not have the same urgency. UVA at home without their best players should be fine next Wednesday Night. Outside of Frank Haith being their Coach, someone convince me we'll beat Miami and I'll open up th e5-0 thread.

Wish I could but I also think it's going to be a tricky game. All of their losses are to good opponents (besides maybe Rutgers) and we will be on the road. As you pointed out, they also need an ACC win badly. If we can sneak out of Coral Gables with a win though, then I think we will handle business against UVA and head to FSU at 5-0 in the ACC.

The best thing that I can say is that they're poorly coached, and like us, don't have a lot of size. The Rutgers loss is a bad loss, but I can't say it's worse than Harvard or Yale. They also have one decent win versus West Virginia. The rest are pretty much cupcakes. Kenpom thinks we'll lose this one and 8 of our next 9. He also LOVES Maryland.
cvilleagle
Devlin Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:06 pm

cvilleagle {l Wrote}:
BCeezy {l Wrote}:

The best thing that I can say is that they're poorly coached, and like us, don't have a lot of size. The Rutgers loss is a bad loss, but I can't say it's worse than Harvard or Yale. They also have one decent win versus West Virginia. The rest are pretty much cupcakes. Kenpom thinks we'll lose this one and 8 of our next 9. He also LOVES Maryland.

Kenpom is a moron.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby BCeezy on Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:07 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
cvilleagle {l Wrote}:
BCeezy {l Wrote}:

Kenpom is a moron.

I don't really agree with a lot of his stuff either, just needed some way to rank the horrible teams that Maryland has beaten, and the good teams they have lost to.

In the polls, (AP, Coaches)

Their lossses have been:

Pitt 70-79 (5,5)
Illinois (16,16)
Temple(19,23)
BC (NR,NR)
Duke (1,1)
BCeezy
Carney Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:07 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
cvilleagle {l Wrote}:
BCeezy {l Wrote}:

Kenpom is a moron.

I don't want to go down the whole BABIP, etc argument in baseball but the comment above is absurd. Maryland has a lot of losses to really good teams and their offensive and defensive numbers are pretty good, hence the high KenPom ranking.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:19 pm

BCeezy {l Wrote}:

The fact that Miami desperately needs a win gives me pause. Although true, Miami is a horrendous defensive team, especially against teams who shoot the 3 well. Our defense has actually been improving and Miami doesn't have a whole lot of size. If Miami comes out uninspired on defense, it'll turn into South Carolina v2 for BC where we'll make a ton of wide open shots and just blow their doors off.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Art Vandelay on Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:31 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
BCeezy {l Wrote}:

The fact that Miami desperately needs a win gives me pause. Although true, Miami is a horrendous defensive team, especially against teams who shoot the 3 well. Our defense has actually been improving and Miami doesn't have a whole lot of size. If Miami comes out uninspired on defense, it'll turn into South Carolina v2 for BC where we'll make a ton of wide open shots and just blow their doors off.

It might be a little early to say our defense has been improving. We had a good defensive game last night. Against GT our defense was horrible. Reggie Johnson concerns me since we have no one who can cover him.
Art Vandelay
McGuinn Hall

Previous

Return to Conte Forum