On The Subject Of Skinner Bashing

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

On The Subject Of Skinner Bashing

Postby EagleDave on Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:53 am

Here's some more thinly veiled shots at the departed coach...this time from Josh Southern...

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/coll ... n_college/

I'm pretty sure we've heard from no less than 4 players on this team who have compared Skinner's departure to waking up from a 2-3 year basketball coma.
Is this the 5 o'clock free crack giveaway?
EagleDave
Merkert Hall

Re: On The Subject Of Skinner Bashing

Postby Dirtywater75 on Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:57 am

Your reference to a two to three year basketball coma during Skinner's final years perfectly sums up the situation we were in.
Dirtywater75
Carney Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:17 am

Southern has been a big key to this team, no doubt about it.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:17 am

Yeah. Thanks.

Who knew....

Skinner Recruiting Probation....4-5 years ago.

Barcolounger...3 years ago..

Lazy Elvis.....The Hurley comment....

Yeah, senile...idiot...

Where is DGF..my wing man.... :laugh

Try taking shots at the guy when he is still in full command like TOB, SPAZOO, NEMO, TOPOO, GDF.....

Not when he has flown the Aerie????????????????????

Kicking Lazy Elvis now is like.....

:thehjs :thehjs
FALL 2011 WILL BE THE BEST EVER FOR BC SPORTS AT THE HEIGHTS!

Rettigun leading our Football team to 14-0 and a Title!

The Hoops Freshman starting a new Legacy!
The Icemen returneth for another shot at Title 5!

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:55 am

Pretty sad that Al recruited a bunch of kids that needed to be motivated to work on their games. Dammit Al!

*was that good?
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Cadillac90 on Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:38 am

BCEagle74 {l Wrote}:Lazy Elvis.....The Hurley comment....

It's funny...you keep referring to Lazy Elvis and the Hurley comment yet you neglect to mention what Hurley said immediately after the Elvis remark. :dildodog
Cadillac90
Cushing Hall

Postby Eagledom on Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:46 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Pretty sad that Al recruited a bunch of kids that needed to be motivated to work on their games. Dammit Al!

*was that good?

Really? That's your take away from this? That's some serious spin.

What's sad is that a head coach felt that it wasn't part of his job description to try to motivate 18 year old kids to work on their games while he was working on his at the plex.
Eagledom
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:08 pm

Eagledom {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Pretty sad that Al recruited a bunch of kids that needed to be motivated to work on their games. Dammit Al!

*was that good?

What's sad is that a head coach felt that it wasn't part of his job description to try to motivate 18 year old kids to work on their games while he was working on his at the plex.

Oh dear not this again.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:18 pm

Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:
BCEagle74 {l Wrote}:Lazy Elvis.....The Hurley comment....

It's funny...you keep referring to Lazy Elvis and the Hurley comment yet you neglect to mention what Hurley said immediately after the Elvis remark. :dildodog

Caddy... You always catch me...reverse facial....

:bowdown :bowdown :bowdown :laugh

You are one the few qualified to zing me!!

:bowdown :bowdown :bowdown :laugh
FALL 2011 WILL BE THE BEST EVER FOR BC SPORTS AT THE HEIGHTS!

Rettigun leading our Football team to 14-0 and a Title!

The Hoops Freshman starting a new Legacy!
The Icemen returneth for another shot at Title 5!

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:57 pm

Eagledom {l Wrote}:

*was that good?

Too easy.

My take from this is that a bunch of jackasses are spending more time thinking about the old coach they wanted gone than the new coach that they wanted here. Me, I prefer to think about the new coach, and I didn't even hate the old one.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Eagledom on Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:13 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Eagledom {l Wrote}:

*was that good?

Too easy.

My take from this is that a bunch of jackasses are spending more time thinking about the old coach they wanted gone than the new coach that they wanted here. Me, I prefer to think about the new coach, and I didn't even hate the old one.

I don't waste my time thinking about our old coach until I come across a post like this and see a response from someone who was too busy telling everyone how great that old coach was to realize the shit job he was doing.
Eagledom
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:15 pm

Eagledom {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Eagledom {l Wrote}:

*was that good?

Too easy.

I don't waste my time thinking about our old coach until I come across a post like this and see a response from someone who was too busy telling everyone how great that old coach was to realize the shit job he was doing.

Like I said, yesterday's news. You are good at that.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Eagledom on Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:27 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Eagledom {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Eagledom {l Wrote}:

*was that good?

Too easy.

not to mention that the names TOB and Jags come up on a daily basis, but its only when Skinner's name comes up that we hear complaing from the people who were so wrong about him.
Eagledom
Merkert Hall

Postby Shredder on Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:32 pm

That's a really good article. More important is that Southern is playing more minutes this year but I am still skeptical over his increased scoring. Last year he played 11 min. with 5 points against South Carolina, 22 and 6 against RI, 23 and 2 against MD, 31 and 11 against Providence, 7 min and 6 pts against UMass. This year against those same teams he has 13 min and 2 points against SC, 26 and 2 against RI, 21 and 6 against MD and 30, 16 against Providence and 28 and 16 against UMass.
Shredder
McGuinn Hall

Postby Cadillac90 on Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:34 pm

Eagledom {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Eagledom {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Eagledom {l Wrote}:

*was that good?

Too easy.

not to mention that the names TOB and Jags come up on a daily basis, but its only when Skinner's name comes up that we hear complaing from the people who were so wrong about him.

Speaking of being wrong...there are still plenty of TOB and Jags defenders out there that do plenty of complaining. You are just a simpleton and not worth anyone's time.
Cadillac90
Cushing Hall

Postby Eagledom on Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:36 pm

Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:
Eagledom {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Eagledom {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Eagledom {l Wrote}:

*was that good?

Too easy.

You are just a simpleton and not worth anyone's time.

Obviously I am worth your time. Thanks for responding.
Eagledom
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:44 pm

Will you two please stop the :slapfight ....
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:50 pm

Honest question... can someone link to a thread where an OJ post didn't fall into a another :slapfight (which he went on to lose)?

I have been trying to think of something... anything... that OJ adds to this place (opinion, insight, grammar corrector) and all I come up with is slapfight instigator (and loser).
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:02 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:Honest question... can someone link to a thread where an OJ post didn't fall into a another :slapfight (which he went on to lose)?

I have been trying to think of something... anything... that OJ adds to this place (opinion, insight, grammar corrector) and all I come up with is slapfight instigator (and loser).

I think he's lobbying to be a colored name. nope, he's just a the king of pricks
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby Hunta518 on Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:55 am

Eagledom {l Wrote}:
Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:
Eagledom {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Eagledom {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Eagledom {l Wrote}:

*was that good?

Too easy.

You are just a simpleton and not worth anyone's time.

Obviously I am worth your time. Thanks for responding.

Yeeeeee you tell 'em OJ :boxer
Hunta518
Campion Hall

Postby auggiebc on Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:02 am

I'm not a Skinner basher. But is it not eye-popping to see this current team, which is just a mere shell of it's '09/'10 self, play so mo much better?

At least so far. Granted it's only January 4th. So alot can happen between now and March.
auggiebc
Campion Hall

Postby EagleNYC on Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:23 am

I struggle to understand the obsession with Skinner bashing, though the general anti-Al sentiment is easy enough to comprehend. Skinner was the winningest coach in BC history, calculated by total wins. He won two BE regular season titles (Clownhoon can blow me) and guided the team to some excellent results during the first few years of ACC play. He developed a string of great players that were not viewed as superstars in HS (Bell, Sidney, Dudley, :seanwilliams [despite what some may say, Smith was supposed to be excellent]). There were several big wins each year, and quite a few upsets, particularly on the road. Before his last three years, his teams always played hard; rarely got blown out; weren't afraid of anyone; generaly exceeded regular season expectations. Skinner never spoke about the program's limitations, and his teams never gave up.

Skinner also refused to pander to high school kids, which some blame for failing to land a true blue chip recruit before Sanders/Southern. There were several high profile team rule violations, and, like it or not, the head coach deserves some of the blame, even for the difficult to control actions of entitled 20-somethings. He was a below average ACC coach in terms of clock management, in-bounds plays, and offensive creativity. When he finally did land a the Sanders class, the on court results were disastrous. The last three years were two very bad seasons sandwiched around a disappointing one. The team often played without fire. They played down to their competition. There were embarassing "bad losses." Many of the players didn't seem to improve/progress, and Southern/Sanders were a stiff and a talented but far too erratic presence, respectively. The fan support ebbed back to 1999 levels. The 2009 recruiting class was an unpardonable sin, and the 2010 class was not shaping up well either. The failure to advance past the first weekend of the tourney more than once, despite a decade of competitive teams, was damning. It was time for a change.

But the last three years don't define the Skinner Era, they just explan why it ended. It's natural, particularly in the first year with a new coach, to draw comparisons, especially when the team shows so much promise. But let's not forget the excellence that Skinner brought to the Heights too. If Donahue wins an ACC crown in his first five years, and has the regular season success that Skinner did, we'll all be very pleased. We'll all just hope his record in the field of 64 65 68 is better.
EagleNYC
Cushing Hall

Postby joemack13 on Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:42 pm

What annoys me most is people arguing over what this board should be arguing over. This is America, if you hate black people then bash skinner all you want :flagus
joemack13
Campion Hall

Postby RedBaron67 on Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:26 pm

EagleNYC {l Wrote}:[despite what some may say, Smith was supposed to be excellent]

Just for the record, I should note that Smith wasn't very well regarded when BC first recruited him as a high school senior in LA; all the PAC-10 teams passed on him because they considered him undersized and overweight. After his post-grad year at Worcester Academy, where Smith got in shape and improved his game, he was a top-50 prospect as an entering freshman; but Skinner and his staff deserve credit for seeing Smith's potential when others didn't.
RedBaron67
Campion Hall

Postby EagleNYC on Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:37 pm

RedBaron67 {l Wrote}:
EagleNYC {l Wrote}:[despite what some may say, Smith was supposed to be excellent]

Just for the record, I should note that Smith wasn't very well regarded when BC first recruited him as a high school senior in LA; all the PAC-10 teams passed on him because they considered him undersized and overweight. After his post-grad year at Worcester Academy, where Smith got in shape and improved his game, he was a top-50 prospect as an entering freshman; but Skinner and his staff deserve credit for seeing Smith's potential when others didn't.

You've removed the context of the quote, which was aimed at player development, not evaluating talent (a separate point that won't get into).

He developed a string of great players that were not viewed as superstars in HS

As you point out, by the time Smith arrived at Campus, he was indeed highly regarded and viewed as ACC caliber. The three I referenced were raw projects, but won three conference POY awards between them (2 for Bell, 1 for Duds).
EagleNYC
Cushing Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:48 pm

EagleNYC {l Wrote}:I struggle to understand the obsession with Skinner bashing, though the general anti-Al sentiment is easy enough to comprehend. Skinner was the winningest coach in BC history, calculated by total wins. He won two BE regular season titles (Clownhoon can blow me) and guided the team to some excellent results during the first few years of ACC play. He developed a string of great players that were not viewed as superstars in HS (Bell, Sidney, Dudley, :seanwilliams [despite what some may say, Smith was supposed to be excellent]). There were several big wins each year, and quite a few upsets, particularly on the road. Before his last three years, his teams always played hard; rarely got blown out; weren't afraid of anyone; generaly exceeded regular season expectations. Skinner never spoke about the program's limitations, and his teams never gave up.

Skinner also refused to pander to high school kids, which some blame for failing to land a true blue chip recruit before Sanders/Southern. There were several high profile team rule violations, and, like it or not, the head coach deserves some of the blame, even for the difficult to control actions of entitled 20-somethings. He was a below average ACC coach in terms of clock management, in-bounds plays, and offensive creativity. When he finally did land a the Sanders class, the on court results were disastrous. The last three years were two very bad seasons sandwiched around a disappointing one. The team often played without fire. They played down to their competition. There were embarassing "bad losses." Many of the players didn't seem to improve/progress, and Southern/Sanders were a stiff and a talented but far too erratic presence, respectively. The fan support ebbed back to 1999 levels. The 2009 recruiting class was an unpardonable sin, and the 2010 class was not shaping up well either. The failure to advance past the first weekend of the tourney more than once, despite a decade of competitive teams, was damning. It was time for a change.

But the last three years don't define the Skinner Era, they just explan why it ended. It's natural, particularly in the first year with a new coach, to draw comparisons, especially when the team shows so much promise. But let's not forget the excellence that Skinner brought to the Heights too. If Donahue wins an ACC crown in his first five years, and has the regular season success that Skinner did, we'll all be very pleased. We'll all just hope his record in the field of 64 65 68 is better.

Great post.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Eagledom on Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:56 pm

EagleNYC {l Wrote}:I struggle to understand the obsession with Skinner bashing, though the general anti-Al sentiment is easy enough to comprehend. Skinner was the winningest coach in BC history, calculated by total wins. He won two BE regular season titles (Clownhoon can blow me) and guided the team to some excellent results during the first few years of ACC play. He developed a string of great players that were not viewed as superstars in HS (Bell, Sidney, Dudley, :seanwilliams [despite what some may say, Smith was supposed to be excellent]). There were several big wins each year, and quite a few upsets, particularly on the road. Before his last three years, his teams always played hard; rarely got blown out; weren't afraid of anyone; generaly exceeded regular season expectations. Skinner never spoke about the program's limitations, and his teams never gave up.

I agree with most of this, but the only thing you don't mention is the fact that Skinner's downward trend coincided with losing key Assistant Coaches. I don't think that can be overstated. And the lack of fire, motivation, and consistency was, by year 10, intolerable. I think all the Skinner "bashers" would agree that he had some good years early, but BC was headed in a very dangerous direction and Gene did the right think by pulling the trigger.
Eagledom
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:14 pm

I will say this - I liked Al for many reasons, but it is nice to have a coach for whom I do not find myself screaming at the TV regarding the coaching decisions, set plays and adjustments during gametime. Anyone will admit that Al was a terrible in-game coach, and needed a George Blaney or Bernie Fine desperately.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:25 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

Great post.

This.

I think this sentence should be the only words ever needed in discussing Skinner this year: The last three years don't define the Skinner Era, they just explan why it ended.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby 2001Eagle on Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:01 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

Great post.

This.

I think this sentence should be the only words ever needed in discussing Skinner this year: The last three years don't define the Skinner Era, they just explan why it ended.

I agree with this sentiment entirely as it pertains to the last three years of skinner.

However I was thinking very recently of how I define the Skinner Era (full disclosure, I liked Al alot and would have been fine with giving him one more year) and while I definitely thought of the success he had, I think the defining moment of his tenure at BC was the March 24, 2006 loss to Villanova in Minneapolis. Great basketball, ultimately undone by an inability to get it done at the highest level, with a healthy smattering of clock/time out mismanagement thrown in for good measure.

As a result, I think I'll always have mostly positive memories of Al's time at BC by far, and I'm thankful for the way he represented BC as an institution, but I'll usually end up shaking my head with a rueful smile thinking how much better it could have been .
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Next

Return to Conte Forum