ACC Rankings

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

ACC Rankings

Postby BCEagles25 on Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:20 pm

1. Duke With or without Irving, they are the best by a mile.
2. North Carolina No bad losses, played some good teams close. Have loads of talent.
3. Virginia Tech No bad losses, beat a seemingly good OK State and should have beaten Purdue. Talent, talent.
4. Boston College Beaten some quality competition, loss to Yale is troubling. Can beat anyone, can lose to anyone.
5. Florida State This team could be anywhere from 2-5. Losses are all close, to quality opponents. Beat Baylor.
6. Miami Beat West Virginia, played Memphis very close.
7. Maryland This team will (should) finish higher than 7th. Got some good players (Williams, Tucker, Bowie among some)
8. NC State Had a great recruiting class. Tracy Smith has played only three games.
9. Virginia Wishy-washy. Good one night, awful the next. Could surprise.
10. Clemson These guys lost to South Carolina. Not sure about them with a new coach.
11. Wake Forest Put here because of their amount of young talent.
12. Georgia Tech With Shumpert being the only player of note, I'm putting them here. Played Cuse close, but I'm not convinced.

So, with ACC play breathing down our necks some early rankings are in order.
#'s 2-8 could all be interchangable. That cluster of teams is the "upper crust." #'s 9-10 are close, then 11-12 are in categories of their own.

Notes about my notes.
-It is early.
-NC State, with Smith, are Top 4.
-FSU might be the second best team in the ACC.
-Wake over GT might be a surprise/stupid/outrage/scrush2, but if they have a night when they put all their potential together they can beat anyone.

Your turn.
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Re: ACC Rankings

Postby Brablc on Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:07 pm

BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:1. Duke With or without Irving, they are the best by a mile.
2. North Carolina No bad losses, played some good teams close. Have loads of talent.
3. Virginia Tech No bad losses, beat a seemingly good OK State and should have beaten Purdue. Talent, talent.
4. Boston College Beaten some quality competition, loss to Yale is troubling. Can beat anyone, can lose to anyone.
5. Florida State This team could be anywhere from 2-5. Losses are all close, to quality opponents. Beat Baylor.
7. Maryland This team will (should) finish higher than 7th. Got some good players (Williams, Tucker, Bowie among some)
8. NC State Had a great recruiting class. Tracy Smith has played only three games.
10. Clemson These guys lost to South Carolina. Not sure about them with a new coach.
12. Georgia Tech With Shumpert being the only player of note, I'm putting them here. Played Cuse close, but I'm not convinced.

#'s 2-8 could all be interchangable. That cluster of teams is the "upper crust." #'s 9-10 are close, then 11-12 are in categories of their own.

Here my thoughts:

Tier 1
1. Duke - May be best team in country. Scary when Irving comes back.

Tier 2
2. FSU - Best defensive team in ACC. That should keep them in every game even though O is hit or miss.
3. UNC - Too talented to not figure it out by year end.
4. BC - If they keep TO's down and keep shooting well, we'll be a hard out. Also, need to stay healthy.
5. NC State - When they get Tracy Smith back they will be a challenge for the Number 2 spot.
6. V Tech - Injuries have hurt them this year. Need healthy Hobson back at point guard to live up to potential.
7. Maryland - Jordan Williams is the best low post player in ACC, if some of the young guards mature they could surprise.
8. Miami - Just not sold on them. Also have a home atmosphere worse than Conte.

Tier 3
9. Virginia - Headed in the right direction. Alot like BC. If they shoot well, they win.

Tier 4
10. Clemson - Just don't think they will put it together this year. Brownell will have the program back on track in a few years.
11. GTech - Shumpert is good but I agree they won't be great this year.
12. Wake - Rough year for the deacons. Hopefully it will help us get Anthony Fields.

BC has a shot to be the #2 in the ACC with a full season of a healthy squad. Excited with the year so far and the new style of play.
Brablc
McGuinn Hall

Postby EagleManiac66 on Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:33 am

Turnovers and rebounding are the two of the keys to how this team will fare the rest of the season. We were 1-1 the last two games despite having far too many TO's (18 and 14). Fortunately, we hit SC on a very poor shooting night. We'll need to improve in both areas if we want to stay in the upper half of the ACC this year.

GO :screamyeagle :screamyeagle :screamyeagle !!!
EagleManiac66
Carney Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:22 am

Duke, UNC, VT, FSU and Miami are all better than BC. Although true, the difference with this year's BC team is coaching. Donahue can absolutely coach circles around those guys with more talent (NCST, FSU, Miami) and will be the reason we finish over .500 in the ACC....well that and Reggie Jackson.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby EagleDave on Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:49 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:Duke, UNC, VT, FSU and Miami are all better than BC. Although true, the difference with this year's BC team is coaching. Donahue can absolutely coach circles around those guys with more talent (NCST, FSU, Miami) and will be the reason we finish over .500 in the ACC....well that and Reggie Jackson.

Calling Miami better than BC is a real reach. They lost the 3 games they played against legit competition and their best win might be a home game against a mediocre West Virginia who just wrapped up a 2 game losing streak to St. Johns and Marquette.
Is this the 5 o'clock free crack giveaway?
EagleDave
Merkert Hall

Postby cvilleagle on Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:55 am

I'm kind of a homer, but I would say Duke, UNC, and FSU are the three team that are truly better than us. That's not to say we won't lose to others.

Also, Maryland really should have beaten us in our first conference game. Fortunately, they forgot that their best player existed at the end of the game.
cvilleagle
Devlin Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:00 am

EagleDave {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:Duke, UNC, VT, FSU and Miami are all better than BC. Although true, the difference with this year's BC team is coaching. Donahue can absolutely coach circles around those guys with more talent (NCST, FSU, Miami) and will be the reason we finish over .500 in the ACC....well that and Reggie Jackson.

Calling Miami better than BC is a real reach. They lost the 3 games they played against legit competition and their best win might be a home game against a mediocre West Virginia who just wrapped up a 2 game losing streak to St. Johns and Marquette.

They are better....but their coaching is terrible which is why we'll beat them.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby BCEagles25 on Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:42 pm

I'm not too sure why we're declaring Miami to be better either. They've got a few good players. Reggie Johnson raped us last year. Durand Scott is talented. But even last year we still swept them.
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:50 pm

March Madness and I can't wait!

Gimme a nice # 5 seed and go deep!
FALL 2011 WILL BE THE BEST EVER FOR BC SPORTS AT THE HEIGHTS!

Rettigun leading our Football team to 14-0 and a Title!

The Hoops Freshman starting a new Legacy!
The Icemen returneth for another shot at Title 5!

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:12 pm

1. Duke
2. FSU
3. Virginia Tech
4. UNC
5. Boston College
6. UMD
7. NCSU
8. Miami
9. Virginia
10. Clemson
11. GT
12. Wake

It's very early and this is bound to change. A lot.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby gaelfu on Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:18 pm

Everyone drop FSU about 4 spots. Losing to Auburn is just about as bad of a loss as it gets. I don't care how good their defense is, they can't put the ball in the hoop worth a damn.
tobaccoroadeagle is a giant flaming tool, Fight the good fight 74!
gaelfu
Carney Hall

Postby BCEagles25 on Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:40 pm

gaelfu {l Wrote}:Everyone drop FSU about 4 spots. Losing to Auburn is just about as bad of a loss as it gets. I don't care how good their defense is, they can't put the ball in the hoop worth a damn.

Auburn is a bad loss. It's up there with Yale.
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby BC923 on Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:57 am

BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:I'm not too sure why we're declaring Miami to be better either. They've got a few good players. Reggie Johnson raped us last year. Durand Scott is talented. But even last year we still swept them.

Reggie Johnson might still be wiping nuts off his face too.

really i just needed an excuse to post that.
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:52 am

BC923 {l Wrote}:Reggie Johnson might still be wiping nuts off his face too.

really i just needed an excuse to post that.

Thanks. Your nuts line was a classic. We need a POY save thread from Board Commander TRE.
FALL 2011 WILL BE THE BEST EVER FOR BC SPORTS AT THE HEIGHTS!

Rettigun leading our Football team to 14-0 and a Title!

The Hoops Freshman starting a new Legacy!
The Icemen returneth for another shot at Title 5!

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby auggiebc on Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:53 am

ACC Rankings:

1. Duke
2-11: Duke
12: The other 11 teams
auggiebc
Campion Hall

Postby TurdFerguson on Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:03 pm

BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:1. Duke With or without Irving, they are the best by a mile.

Notes about my notes.
-It is early.
-NC State, with Smith, are Top 4.
-FSU might be the second best team in the ACC.
-Wake over GT might be a surprise/stupid/outrage/scrush2, but if they have a night when they put all their potential together they can beat anyone.

Your turn.

It's a good thing there are no more mid-majors to play down too... (besides the ACC dumpster fires)
Well, when I see five weirdos, dressed in togas, stabbing a man in the middle of the park in full view of a hundred people, I shoot the bastards, that's *my* policy!
TurdFerguson
Carney Hall

Postby BCEagles25 on Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:33 pm

Right now, if I had to change it, I would only change 6-8.

6. NC State
7. Maryland
8. Miami

I have yet to buy into Miami, or their jerseys. The only thing I know about Miami basketball is that apparently their power forwards make pretty good NFL tight ends.
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby Art Vandelay on Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:04 am

BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:Right now, if I had to change it, I would only change 6-8.

6. NC State
7. Maryland
8. Miami

I have yet to buy into Miami, or their jerseys. The only thing I know about Miami basketball is that apparently their power forwards make pretty good NFL tight ends.

I'm not sure how they all rank though I think Miami is probably better than Maryland. When we play Miami Reggie Johnson scares me. The guy is a load and interior defense is not our stong suit.
Art Vandelay
McGuinn Hall

Return to Conte Forum