BC/Harvard-This Time We're Super Serial...Except Not Really

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: BC/Harvard-This Time We're Super Serial...Except Not Really

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:49 pm

Wait...what? Did BC lose to Harvard? Fuck.

Looking forward to the Al comparisons this week.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Dirtywater on Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:14 am

Just got back from the game. Yes Trapani was often terrible but I at least give him credit for being aggressive compared to the rest of the crew. The team just does not have any floor leadership (as has been the problem for the last few years). Jackson also needs to be given a minimum shooting quota per game. Overall - just a very weird team. And as an aside - they need to dump the NBA style cheesy theatrics for the BC player introductions. It makes the program and the school look like a big high school. Maybe after we've won a few national championships but not before.
Dirtywater
McGuinn Hall

Postby Art Vandelay on Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:35 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:y'all know we're starting 3-0 in ACC play right?

"Y'all know we're heading into conference play at 12-3, right?"

Have faith, especially when we get to play Paul Hewitt and Sid Lowe at home. Those guys are both :orca at coaching and their teams are bad.

And what Tommy Amaker is John Wooden all of a sudden?
Art Vandelay
McGuinn Hall

Postby BC923 on Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:09 am

Dirtywater {l Wrote}: Jackson also needs to be given a minimum shooting quota per game.

Agree 100%. There was a stretch toward the end of the first half where nothing was happening offensively. Reggie was looking to involve the other players, which is good, but at some point he needs to recognize that he has the ability to take the game over and do it. He is at times too unselfish. We should never play an Ivy league team again.
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby Cadillac90 on Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:49 am

Eagledom {l Wrote}:This was a bad team coming into the season and donahue has led them to some good wins. There is ONE OR TWO ACC starters on the entire team and a bunch of role players. Did this loss suck? Yeah, but expectations were too high in the first place after Donahue led the tem to a few nice wins with the pile of dogshit he was dealt. No one expected an NCAA tournament bid at the start of the year and people started to think it might happen afer some good wins....this is going to be an up and down season with this squad...get used to it.

Thanks for the explanation and comforting words OJ. They make me feel so much better after another loss to an Ivy.
Cadillac90
Cushing Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:57 am

Columbia and Cornell's Asian and Jewish Intramurals squad wants us bad. Real Bad.

Since 1907, BC is now 0-1 versus teams with white gaulks named Oliver at center.

Ali McGraw called me and said she is not sorry.
FALL 2011 WILL BE THE BEST EVER FOR BC SPORTS AT THE HEIGHTS!

Rettigun leading our Football team to 14-0 and a Title!

The Hoops Freshman starting a new Legacy!
The Icemen returneth for another shot at Title 5!

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Re: BC/Harvard...This Time We're Super Serial

Postby AdamBC on Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:51 am

AdamBC {l Wrote}:It will be nice if the team plays in front of 5K tonight.

Well, not quite:

Attendance: 4,129

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=310050103
AdamBC
Cushing Hall

Postby Art Vandelay on Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:21 am

apbc12 {l Wrote}:Who's it going to be? Somebody needs to call for Donahue's head. Or was that just a Skinner thing?

Some of you crack me up. January 1: BC beats South Carolina, team is declared significantly improved, the dark days of Skinner's reign of lazy terror are finally behind us! January 5: BC loses to Harvard, team is declared awful, all hopes of NCAA tournament dashed forever.

Are you actually surprised by extreme reactions to the last thing we saw by posters on this board? The funny thing is every year people on this board tend to overrate the team and this year I thought expectations of a bit of an up and down season were realistic by most. Apparently beating some mediocre teams changed everyone's expectations along the way.
Art Vandelay
McGuinn Hall

Postby Senor Awesome on Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:36 am

extraños de hoops...
Senor Awesome
n00b

Postby auggiebc on Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:00 am

Why are we scheduling such a difficult non-conference schedule? you dont prep for ACC play by scheduling behemoth's like Yale and Harvard. The road is already a difficult one, no need to sign up for automatic losses by scheduling IVY league games. If only we stuck to just power conference matchups early on, we'd be a 1-loss, top-25 team right now.
auggiebc
Campion Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:29 am

Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:
apbc12 {l Wrote}:Who's it going to be? Somebody needs to call for Donahue's head. Or was that just a Skinner thing?

Some of you crack me up. January 1: BC beats South Carolina, team is declared significantly improved, the dark days of Skinner's reign of lazy terror are finally behind us! January 5: BC loses to Harvard, team is declared awful, all hopes of NCAA tournament dashed forever.

Are you actually surprised by extreme reactions to the last thing we saw by posters on this board? The funny thing is every year people on this board tend to overrate the team and this year I thought expectations of a bit of an up and down season were realistic by most. Apparently beating some mediocre teams changed everyone's expectations along the way.

This team can be much better than mediocre....
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Art Vandelay on Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:47 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:

Not sure what leads you to believe that. It can't be the results because a better than mediocre team does not lose to Harvard, Yale and URI. We have one truly ACC caliber player so what more would you expect?
Art Vandelay
McGuinn Hall

Postby Art Vandelay on Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:48 am

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:

and as they proved last night they can also be worse. i'm going to start smiting posters when they express that this can be an ncaa tournament team based on some mediocre wins (and ignoring some horrific losses)

Exactly
Art Vandelay
McGuinn Hall

Postby Caber91 on Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:52 am

Not that surprising of a loss. This team will be erratic, given its reliance on so many 3's. The fact that anyone looked at this team and thought it was a NCAA lock is laughable. But come on, life goes on here. With the recruiting class coming in, and with Jackson (yes, I know he is streaky, but the guy is a truly talented guard), the future is brighter. Hey, we could still have Coach Handsome here spending all of his time at the Plex playing hoops, when he should have been recruiting.
Caber91
n00b

Postby claver2010 on Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:23 am

Caber91 {l Wrote}:Not that surprising of a loss. This team will be erratic, given its reliance on so many 3's. The fact that anyone looked at this team and thought it was a NCAA lock is laughable. But come on, life goes on here. With the recruiting class coming in, and with Jackson (yes, I know he is streaky, but the guy is a truly talented guard), the future is brighter. Hey, we could still have Coach Handsome here spending all of his time at the Plex playing hoops, when he should have been recruiting.

STOP THE AL COMPARISONS!!! THERE IS NO CONNECTION BETWEEN THIS TEAM AND AL!

Anyways this game was lost at the offensive end. Complete clusterfuck from teh 10 min mark through the final 5 min of the game, Harvard got to to the line constantly and didn't miss. BC had a chance in the final 3 minutes to make up for their horrible 30 minutes and couldn't. I liked Elmore matched up against number 0 on Harvard but he can't do much offensively and we were struggling on that end too last night.
Last edited by claver2010 on Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:24 am

Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:

Not sure what leads you to believe that. It can't be the results because a better than mediocre team does not lose to Harvard, Yale and URI. We have one truly ACC caliber player so what more would you expect?

They're better than mediocre...but they are erratic. We need to make FTs and not turn the ball over. That's the common thread in all of our losses despite our horrific defense. On Saturday Afternoon Donahue needs to start Elmore over Rubin (who is a waste defensively) and put Elmore on Shumpert.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby auggiebc on Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:18 pm

regardless of how good or bad this team is, and regardless of how low or high anyone's expectations are, the fact remains that blow-out win on the road against and SEC team followed by a one-sided loss at home to an IVY league team simply doesn't mesh. regardless of who the team is an how good or bad they are. it's a head scratcher. and it's disheartening.
auggiebc
Campion Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:19 pm

My favorite part is the rush to throw the players under the bus. This is, was, and always has been, a 20-win bubble team. It was even more than that last year, making Al's performance last year all the more depressing. But make no mistake, a good coach makes this squad a bubble team.

And losing to Yale and Harvard does not get him off the hook, with people saying the talent must not be that good. It's a black mark - this team shouldn't lose to either, but certainly not both.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby BC923 on Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:55 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:My favorite part is the rush to throw the players under the bus. This is, was, and always has been, a 20-win bubble team. It was even more than that last year, making Al's performance last year all the more depressing. But make no mistake, a good coach makes this squad a bubble team.

And losing to Yale and Harvard does not get him off the hook, with people saying the talent must not be that good. It's a black mark - this team shouldn't lose to either, but certainly not both.

agree completely. but as has been said, this team can beat anybody or lose to anybody. I'll hold out my judgment until i see whether the beating anybody trend is the bigger one or the losing to anybody. But absolutely, we shouldn't lose to either of yale or harvard.
BC923
Merkert Hall

Previous

Return to Conte Forum