Dangerous Tournament Team

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Dangerous Tournament Team

Postby gamer5252 on Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:18 am

If Bc can get a win on Wednesday against Harvard, that would make there non-conference record 11-3 with an overall record of 12-3. If BC were to go 8-8 in ACC play (I think they'll go more like 9-7), that would push there record to 19-11 and with there non-conference schedule and win over #18 Texas A&M at a neutral site, I believe they will get into the tournament. You throw in a win in the conference tourney and we are at 20-12. The 8-8 record is very conservative as it seems this team continues to get better and seems hungry. As long as we stay healthy I think I will make it as a 9 seed. Also, given our ability to shoot the 3, this will make us a very dangerous tournament team. Veteran teams that shoot the 3 well are a nice mix to have in the tournament. It is amazing to see Paris and Raji expand there games under Donahue. This clearly would never happen under SKinner. You throw in quality minutes from Southern under Donahue and I think that says it all. Last year's team would have been hung over and lost that game last night by 15. There is a much improved focus on this team that is very refreshing!
gamer5252
n00b

Re: Dangerous Tournament Team

Postby BCMcG on Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:51 am

gamer5252 {l Wrote}:This clearly would never happen under SKinner.

Can we place a moratorium on this ridiculous statement? Yes, two of the last three seasons sucked and he deserved to be canned. However, for the majority of the guy's tenure players improved, BC won basketball games, and the team made it to the NCAA tournament.

To the main point of your post, BC is going to have to do better than 8-8 in conference to make it to the tournament. The ACC is way down this year and BC is probably going to need a top 4 finish to make it to the NCAA tournament. If they play like they did last night, it's definitely possible.
BCMcG
McGuinn Hall

Postby apbc12 on Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:21 am

BCMcG {l Wrote}:

Can we place a moratorium on this ridiculous statement?

I think we can skip the moratorium and go straight to the outright ban.
apbc12
Higgins Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:27 am

apbc12 {l Wrote}:
BCMcG {l Wrote}:

We can at least agre that this team is much more exciting to watch and Paris and Southern would not have improved so much.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:41 am

Any games played against Duke, UNC, VT, Miami and FSU will be diffecult. I fully expect to win games against any other team in the conference. Having said that, VT, Miami and FSU aren't all that good either.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby 2008Eagle on Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:29 pm

You have Duke at the front, Wake and maybe GT at the back, and in between, the difference in the quality of teams isn't necessarily that big. Outside of Duke, BC is capable of beating just about everyone else in the conference on any given day. Doesn't mean they will, but I think BC can win 10 ACC games and make the dance.
2008Eagle
Carney Hall

Postby Shredder on Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:11 pm

BCMcG {l Wrote}:

Can we place a moratorium on this ridiculous statement? Yes, two of the last three seasons sucked and he deserved to be canned. However, for the majority of the guy's tenure players improved, BC won basketball games, and the team made it to the NCAA tournament.

To the main point of your post, BC is going to have to do better than 8-8 in conference to make it to the tournament. The ACC is way down this year and BC is probably going to need a top 4 finish to make it to the NCAA tournament. If they play like they did last night, it's definitely possible.

I think he was referring to Raji and Paris improving and shooting more. I agree with that because Skinner would have the team playing his system that didn't utilize or even recognize Paris' shooting ability.
Shredder
McGuinn Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:17 pm

I always liked the 11 seed since in Round 1 if you can drill a 6 seed, --- you get a 3 seed in round 2 and avoid a top 8 solid seed?

Gotta win and survive though 6X.
FALL 2011 WILL BE THE BEST EVER FOR BC SPORTS AT THE HEIGHTS!

Rettigun leading our Football team to 14-0 and a Title!

The Hoops Freshman starting a new Legacy!
The Icemen returneth for another shot at Title 5!

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby BCEagles25 on Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:21 pm

The thing about three point shooting teams is that they can beat anyone or lose to anyone. Vague statement, right? But what I mean is that if the shot falls, we can beat even Duke. If we're inconsistent, we lose to Yale. Dangerous out.
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby apbc12 on Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:27 pm

DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:
apbc12 {l Wrote}:
BCMcG {l Wrote}:

We can at least agre that this team is much more exciting to watch and Paris and Southern would not have improved so much.

Absolutely. The stupid part is the statement, presented as fact, that the team would have been hungover and lost by 15.
apbc12
Higgins Hall

Postby ryrob on Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:33 pm

apbc12 {l Wrote}:
DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:
apbc12 {l Wrote}:
BCMcG {l Wrote}:

Absolutely. The stupid part is the statement, presented as fact, that the team would have been hungover and lost by 15.

Seriously. Did anyone actually see how bad this SC team was? We had a 29 point lead at one point.
ryrob
Merkert Hall

Postby EagleDave on Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:47 pm

ryrob {l Wrote}:
apbc12 {l Wrote}:
DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:
apbc12 {l Wrote}:
BCMcG {l Wrote}:

Seriously. Did anyone actually see how bad this SC team was? We had a 29 point lead at one point.

We did last year too before they turned around and beat Kentucky like 3 days later. They're an ok team, it's a solid road win.
Is this the 5 o'clock free crack giveaway?
EagleDave
Merkert Hall

Postby BCEagles25 on Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:48 pm

The Gamecocks lost to Furman. They aren't that ok. Yeah, yeah. I know. Yale.
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:39 pm

apbc12 {l Wrote}:
DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:
apbc12 {l Wrote}:
BCMcG {l Wrote}:

South Carolina was pretty awful last night.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby GodofBeasts94 on Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:02 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
apbc12 {l Wrote}:
DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:
apbc12 {l Wrote}:
BCMcG {l Wrote}:

South Carolina was pretty awful last night.

Yeah, but part of the reason they were pretty awful was that we were pretty good. I think we broke some of their spirit with the unselfish ball movement and solid shooting from 3. You chase the ball like that for 20-25 seconds every possession and then give up a three, it wears you down and you end up sucking on the other end....
GodofBeasts94
Carney Hall

Re: Tournament Team ???

Postby bcsoxfan12 on Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:27 pm

*Fixed

Wait until 2/1 before we start talking about this team being a Tournament Team, let’s see how well they play in the first full month of the ACC Schedule before we start talking about tournaments. The Maryland game was encouraging, but I wouldn’t get too excited right now. Dangerous Tournament team…..which tournament ACC, NCAA, NIT? TBD IMO
BC HOCKEY: 1949-2001-2008-2010-2011 2012 and counting :angrychicken
bcsoxfan12
Campion Hall

Postby gamer5252 on Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:31 pm

"This clearly would not happen under skinner"..all i meant by this was the sudden development of Biko paris, raji's improved shooting and southern playing like a capable acc center. Good point about having to do better than 8-8 in conference play due to the lack of strength of the acc. It is nice to see this team playing with a fire in there belly. That loss to Virginia in the ACC tourney was the most uninspired effort i have ever seen from a college basketball team!!!
gamer5252
n00b

Postby BC923 on Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:59 pm

BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:The thing about three point shooting teams is that they can beat anyone or lose to anyone. Vague statement, right? But what I mean is that if the shot falls, we can beat even Duke. If we're inconsistent, we lose to Yale. Dangerous out.

exactly, should we make it to the tournament (I think we will), it'll be tough to get us out if we are playing well.
BC923
Merkert Hall

Return to Conte Forum