BC/URI Thread

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: BC/URI Thread

Postby thebigskinny31 on Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:02 pm

Tough loss if Biko played in 2nd half almost guranteed we win. Just hopeing he is back and heathy for the game @ South Carolina on Sat. Worst part is that Alex Murphy was in attendence. Can't see him leaving impressed with BC since we trailed all game pretty much.
thebigskinny31
Carney Hall

Postby apbc12 on Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:04 pm

EagleDave {l Wrote}:My twitter feed informs me that Biko was the inbounder on the final play...so apparently he's not hurt that bad.

He's well enough to stand in place for a few seconds. It's probably just a sprained ankle or something, but him making one inbound pass doesn't really give me much more hope than him sitting on the bench would have.
apbc12
Higgins Hall

Postby Art Vandelay on Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:04 pm

18 Turnoves? WTF?
Art Vandelay
McGuinn Hall

Postby apbc12 on Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:05 pm

thebigskinny31 {l Wrote}:Tough loss if Biko played in 2nd half almost guranteed we win. Just hopeing he is back and heathy for the game @ South Carolina on Sat. Worst part is that Alex Murphy was in attendence. Can't see him leaving impressed with BC since we trailed all game pretty much.

The worst part is losing. Always.
apbc12
Higgins Hall

Postby Art Vandelay on Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:07 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
yurch10 {l Wrote}:18 TO's? Sounds like all things considered (fouls, injuries), they showed some heart coming back and fighting til the end.

However, losing to URI just sounds bad. I don't even know if they are good, but just doesn't sound good.

URI will be a bubble team. They took Pitt to the wire @ Pitt. It's not a bad loss on the road but the future concerns me if Biko is injured. Hopefully he'll be ready to go New Year's Day.

Didn't URI just lose to Quinnipiac?
Art Vandelay
McGuinn Hall

Postby auggiebc on Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:07 pm

ho hum. can't expect to win on the road against a decent opponent without our starting point guard and 4 trillion turnovers. the fact that this game was so close is somewhat impressive. tough loss, but not the end of the world.
auggiebc
Campion Hall

Postby bluefishskip on Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:08 pm

winnable game on the road.......played so-so at best and still had a shot to win at the end......disappointing to see that Illinois-Chicago and Quinnipiac could do what BC couldn't (which is beat URI)
bluefishskip
Carney Hall

Postby MattTheEagle on Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:41 pm

We didn't have Biko most of the game. That was huge for us and would have likely cut down on our turnovers. The fact that Murphy was in attendance was actually better than if he wasn't. Even though we lost and had a lot of turnovers, the fact that he was in attendance means he is seriously considering BC and probably has watched BC before at least on TV and knew that we had a key player out and typically play much better. The fact that we kept it close and it was still an exciting game should not leave him wanting to drop BC. Hopefully we can overcome this loss, have our players healthy for S.Carolina and bounce back. If we can beat SC and Harvard like we are capable of doing, we will still be in good shape going into ACC play.
MattTheEagle
Campion Hall

Postby BC923 on Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:27 pm

didn't want to deal with the gamecast so i have no idea what happened but judging from the box score these are my thoughts:

18 turnovers is ugly. Not a way to win the game
We are fucked for the entirety of Biko's absence.
Too many fouls
Reggie should take more than 10 shots. He's got to go to the rim more and pick up fouls on their guys. (He might have been doing this, i would have no way of knowing, but it doesn't seem like he was)
Ugly game.
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby SJeagle09 on Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:16 pm

MattTheEagle {l Wrote}:We didn't have Biko most of the game. That was huge for us and would have likely cut down on our turnovers. The fact that Murphy was in attendance was actually better than if he wasn't. Even though we lost and had a lot of turnovers, the fact that he was in attendance means he is seriously considering BC and probably has watched BC before at least on TV and knew that we had a key player out and typically play much better. The fact that we kept it close and it was still an exciting game should not leave him wanting to drop BC. Hopefully we can overcome this loss, have our players healthy for S.Carolina and bounce back. If we can beat SC and Harvard like we are capable of doing, we will still be in good shape going into ACC play.

I don't know anything about this Murphy kid but according to his dad (who they interviewed at halftime) they live like 5 minutes from the stadium, I wouldn't necessarily equate his attendance with having BC tatooed on his chest already
:pontif
SJeagle09
Cushing Hall

Postby BCEagles25 on Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:51 pm

Even though they lost, that was a beast of a game. Rhody fans are solid, they have a lot going on over there.

Biko hurt himself pretty early into the 1st half. Moton played alright, but it wasn't the same without him.
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby GodofBeasts94 on Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:18 am

A handful of us were at the game. URI did a good job of keeping Reggie and others from penetrating. For large chunks of the game -- particularly in the first half -- our offense wasn't clicking as well as it has.

Josh had a non-game. We kept dumping it down to him but he wasn't able to make much happen offensively.

Trap was great today; had two crappy foul calls against him in my opinion that really hurt us. We were a different team -- a better team -- every time Joe was on the court.

Biko looked REAL tender; I won't be surprised if he misses the SC game.

Equally concerning, Reggie was also dinged pretty well. With Biko out he had no choice but to grit it out, but he was nowhere near 100% for the last 4 minutes.

Nice to see Gabe hit some key shots; he's prone to turnovers but what freshman with limited playing time isn't?

The Dunn lapse on D was killer; we'd played 33 seconds of solid defense and had pushed URI well beyond the top of the key. Split second brain fart, good pass, alley-oop. Sucked but $hit happens.

Thought Reggie's shot at the end was going in. The play was well designed. Got the ball in Reggie's hands with a really good look. He received the ball a little deeper than he might have liked. But we've all seen him hit that shot. URI were breathing a big sigh of relief.

At the 11 second mark, Reggie drove into the lane. Josh broke to the basket and was open for a lay-up. Reggie made the good pass but a defender just got his hand in the way. It was close; would have been brilliant....

Losing sucks -- losing to any team from Rhode Island really sucks. But as others have said, our margin for error doesn't exist. If anything goes wrong -- injury, foul trouble, etc. -- it puts us in the danger zone. Doesn't mean we can't win -- see UMASS, see games without Raji, without Dunn -- but it gets real hard real fast.

Hats off to URI. I like the team. The fans were great.
GodofBeasts94
Carney Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:53 am

I'm still happy if we can go 2-1 in the @URI, @ SC and Harvard stretch of the schedule. That's still attainable, though a Paris injury is going to make going into SC and winning fairly difficult.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Dirtywater75 on Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:23 am

bluefishskip {l Wrote}:winnable game on the road.......played so-so at best and still had a shot to win at the end......disappointing to see that Illinois-Chicago and Quinnipiac could do what BC couldn't (which is beat URI)

Yeah but that's why college basketball is so great and why the NCAA Tournament is so popular. The little guys have a chance and on any given day can pull off a win. You just need five guys and one or two dead eyes. No opponent can be taken for granted. Our guys often come out flat against lesser opponents and get burned. The truly upper echelon teams seem to understand this and usually win the games they should win.
Dirtywater75
Carney Hall

Postby BCEagles25 on Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:54 am

We were down Biko, and Southern had a bad game. We also gave them back the ball 18 times.

I can't believe we only lost by 2. On the road. In front of a very loud crowd.
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby nastynate13 on Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:19 pm

BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:We were down Biko, and Southern had a bad game. We also gave them back the ball 18 times.

I can't believe we only lost by 2. On the road. In front of a very loud crowd.

Not arguing your point, just pointing this out as I've never been a fan of teams doing this, but Conte could also be very loud if they piped the crowd noise through the speakers the entire game...
nastynate13
n00b

Previous

Return to Conte Forum