AP Poll

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

AP Poll

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:23 pm

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/rankings

We're moving on up though I find it odd we don't have a single vote in the ESPN/USA Today.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Re: AP Poll

Postby BCEagles25 on Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:32 pm

That A&M win is looking pretty nice right now.
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby GodofBeasts94 on Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:56 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/rankings

I find it odd we don't have a single vote in the ESPN/USA Today.

It's complete crap that none of the coaches contributing to the poll have seen fit to put us at #25 at least. A big FU to all of the following, especially Gary Williams -- who had a first-hand look and somehow walked away unimpressed -- and especially to Ed Cooley who should show lifelong respect and deference to the school who launched his head coaching career. Now, Tommy Amaker I will forgive. After embarrassing us so thoroughly the past two years he may never look at BC as a top 25 team again.

The USA TODAY/ESPN Board of Coaches is made up of 31 head coaches at Division I institutions. All are members of the National Association of Basketball Coaches. The board for the 2010-11 season: Mike Adras, Northern Arizona; Tommy Amaker, Harvard; Tevester Anderson, Jackson State; Ronnie Arrow, South Alabama; Randy Bennett, Saint Mary's; Eddie Biedenbach, North Carolina-Asheville; Jim Boeheim, Syracuse; Rick Byrd, Belmont; Patrick Chambers, Boston University; Charlie Coles, Miami (Ohio); Ed Cooley, Fairfield; Scott Drew, Baylor; Steve Fisher, San Diego State; Don Friday, St..Francis (Pa.); Ben Jacobson, Northern Iowa; Rob Jeter, Wisconsin-Milwaukee; Billy Kennedy, Murray State; Billy Lange, Navy; Mike McConathy, Northwestern State; Bob McKillop, Davidson; Phil Martelli, Saint Joseph?s; Ronald "Fang" Mitchell, Coppin State; Matt Painter, Purdue; John Pelphrey, Arkansas; Herb Sendek, Arizona State; Shaka Smart, Virginia Commonwealth; Scott Sutton, Oral Roberts; Don Verlin, Idaho; Bob Williams, UC-Santa Barbara; Gary Williams, Maryland; Doug Wojcik, Tulsa.

Of course, having said all this, I'm fine with us not getting votes for now. Let's keep the boys hungry. But if we beat URI and SC I expect to vault to 24 or 25. Votes won't be enough for me.....
GodofBeasts94
Carney Hall

Postby BC923 on Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:36 am

In the AP Poll we were only actually ranked by 4 voters but got 17 points

Kevin Mcnamara (Providence Journal) had us at #20
Todd Rosiak (Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel) had us at #21
John Feinstein (National Public Radio) had us at #23
Michael Rothstein (annarbor.com) had us at #23

No one else had us ranked.

http://www.pollspeak.com/pollstalker/po ... 13&w=8&r=T
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby Art Vandelay on Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:45 am

GodofBeasts94 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/rankings

I find it odd we don't have a single vote in the ESPN/USA Today.

It's complete crap that none of the coaches contributing to the poll have seen fit to put us at #25 at least. A big FU to all of the following, especially Gary Williams -- who had a first-hand look and somehow walked away unimpressed -- and especially to Ed Cooley who should show lifelong respect and deference to the school who launched his head coaching career. Now, Tommy Amaker I will forgive. After embarrassing us so thoroughly the past two years he may never look at BC as a top 25 team again.

The USA TODAY/ESPN Board of Coaches is made up of 31 head coaches at Division I institutions. All are members of the National Association of Basketball Coaches. The board for the 2010-11 season: Mike Adras, Northern Arizona; Tommy Amaker, Harvard; Tevester Anderson, Jackson State; Ronnie Arrow, South Alabama; Randy Bennett, Saint Mary's; Eddie Biedenbach, North Carolina-Asheville; Jim Boeheim, Syracuse; Rick Byrd, Belmont; Patrick Chambers, Boston University; Charlie Coles, Miami (Ohio); Ed Cooley, Fairfield; Scott Drew, Baylor; Steve Fisher, San Diego State; Don Friday, St..Francis (Pa.); Ben Jacobson, Northern Iowa; Rob Jeter, Wisconsin-Milwaukee; Billy Kennedy, Murray State; Billy Lange, Navy; Mike McConathy, Northwestern State; Bob McKillop, Davidson; Phil Martelli, Saint Joseph?s; Ronald "Fang" Mitchell, Coppin State; Matt Painter, Purdue; John Pelphrey, Arkansas; Herb Sendek, Arizona State; Shaka Smart, Virginia Commonwealth; Scott Sutton, Oral Roberts; Don Verlin, Idaho; Bob Williams, UC-Santa Barbara; Gary Williams, Maryland; Doug Wojcik, Tulsa.

Of course, having said all this, I'm fine with us not getting votes for now. Let's keep the boys hungry. But if we beat URI and SC I expect to vault to 24 or 25. Votes won't be enough for me.....

If you were voting who would you vote for BC instead of? I am thrilled with the way this team looks relative to original expectations, but bottom line is we still have not beaten anyone that good with the exception of A&M. No one we beat other than them got any votes either. Prepare to be dissapointed because beating URI and SC is not going to be enough to get into the top 25 - both are mediocre and neither have beaten anyone. FSU has a very similar resume to us and got 1 vote. They beat #15 Baylor for their only real good win and they don't have the bad loss like we do. Their 3 losses were Butler and two ranked teams. No reason to feel slighted...we are being treated right where we deserve to be based on who we've beaten, which is all they can go by since most of the coaches have probably seen us play once or twice at most.

As for gary Williams why would he vote for us? Becuase we beat them. He knows his team stinks and we squeeked out a 4 point win over them so not sure why he'd be that impressed.
Art Vandelay
McGuinn Hall

Postby Art Vandelay on Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:02 am

Let me be clear that I am taking nothing away from what this team has done. We have beaten the teams on the schedule. It just turns out most of them are mediocre. I am still impressed with the wins becuase its not like they are all cupcakes either but it takes more to be ranked.
Art Vandelay
McGuinn Hall

Postby auggiebc on Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:25 pm

We lost at home to Yale.
We got blown out by Wisky.
We have a couple of potentional "decent" wins.
We haven't really started conference play yet.

Let's hold off on being insulted about not getting votes yet.

Go Eagles. Love Donahue.
auggiebc
Campion Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:51 pm

auggiebc {l Wrote}:We lost at home to Yale.

Go Eagles. Love Donahue.

10 point losses are blowouts?
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby Eagledom on Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:01 pm

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:

Go Eagles. Love Donahue.

The game was not nearly as close as the final score....do you just go around and open every post on the board and hope you find something to argue with?
Eagledom
Merkert Hall

Postby Art Vandelay on Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:08 pm

Go Eagles. Love Donahue.

Exactly
Art Vandelay
McGuinn Hall

Postby BCEagles25 on Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:24 pm

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:

Go Eagles. Love Donahue.

The majority of that game was close. It seemed like during the 30 minutes of a back-and-forth contest, it turned into a 22 point lead on a dime. Then just as quickly as it happened, the big lead vanished for Wisky. So no, not a blowout.
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby EagleDave on Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:47 pm

BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:

Go Eagles. Love Donahue.

The majority of that game was close. It seemed like during the 30 minutes of a back-and-forth contest, it turned into a 22 point lead on a dime. Then just as quickly as it happened, the big lead vanished for Wisky. So no, not a blowout.

After a dead even opening 25 minutes or so, Wisky hit everything for about an 8 minute stretch...BC reciprocated during the final 5 mins...thus the final margin. Pretty even game for the most part.
Is this the 5 o'clock free crack giveaway?
EagleDave
Merkert Hall

Postby Art Vandelay on Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:41 am

EagleDave {l Wrote}:
BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:

Go Eagles. Love Donahue.

After a dead even opening 25 minutes or so, Wisky hit everything for about an 8 minute stretch...BC reciprocated during the final 5 mins...thus the final margin. Pretty even game for the most part.

The first 25 was pretty even I agree, but then the blew us off the floor and pulled out to a 22 point lead. I don't think you can say we reciprocated in the final 5 minutes though. They went 4 corners and started running clock and literally didn't score for almost 5 minutes. Pretty sure it was not our swarming defense that caused that.
Art Vandelay
McGuinn Hall

Postby BCMcG on Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:10 am

Remember 2 years ago? When BC started 13-2 with a loss against a solid Big Ten team (Purdue) and a bad loss (St. Louis)? BC didn't crack the Top 25 until that 13th win when they knocked off #1 UNC.

1. This is a team with little depth and can't play defense. It's going to take a few ACC wins before BC even deserves to be ranked.
b. We lost to Yale.
iii. Nobody has seen this team play. Nobody with a vote is logging onto Channelsurfing.net to watch the scoreboard feed and listen to John Meterparel and Malcolm Huckaby. Voters know this about BC: they're 10 and 2; BUT they lost to Yale; they have a new coach, no big name recruits, and a guy named Reggie Jackson who is supposedly pretty good (and they may not even know this last one).

Also, the Wisconsin game wasn't a blowout. It was a 7-point game with a minute to go. If the Badgers miss their free throws, it's anybody's game.
BCMcG
McGuinn Hall

Postby EagleDave on Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:17 pm

BCMcG {l Wrote}:Remember 2 years ago? When BC started 13-2 with a loss against a solid Big Ten team (Purdue) and a bad loss (St. Louis)? BC didn't crack the Top 25 until that 13th win when they knocked off #1 UNC.

1. This is a team with little depth and can't play defense. It's going to take a few ACC wins before BC even deserves to be ranked.
b. We lost to Yale.
iii. Nobody has seen this team play. Nobody with a vote is logging onto Channelsurfing.net to watch the scoreboard feed and listen to John Meterparel and Malcolm Huckaby. Voters know this about BC: they're 10 and 2; BUT they lost to Yale; they have a new coach, no big name recruits, and a guy named Reggie Jackson who is supposedly pretty good (and they may not even know this last one).

Also, the Wisconsin game wasn't a blowout. It was a 7-point game with a minute to go. If the Badgers miss their free throws, it's anybody's game.

Their 4 biggest games were all on TV (3 wins). They've been seen a little bit. It's the reason people like Gary Parrish have them ranked in their top 20 now. The voters will come around if they keep up the pace.
Is this the 5 o'clock free crack giveaway?
EagleDave
Merkert Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:15 pm

Eagledom {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:

Go Eagles. Love Donahue.

The game was not nearly as close as the final score....do you just go around and open every post on the board and hope you find something to argue with?

Oh the irony of you talking about arguing. The game got down to 7 points very late and ended at 10 points. In what world is that a blowout?
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby BC923 on Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:16 pm

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
Eagledom {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:

Go Eagles. Love Donahue.

Oh the irony of you talking about arguing. The game got down to 7 points very late and ended at 10 points. In what world is that a blowout?

A blowout is what Wisky did to NCSU... 40 or so points. Our loss was not a blowout
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby Art Vandelay on Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:56 pm

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
Eagledom {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:

Go Eagles. Love Donahue.

We can argue semantics of what is or is not a blowout but I have to say I agree the game was not as close as the score. They started running out clock and literally did not score for 5 minutes. That is not a comeback because of great D, that is Wisconsin having the game in hand and going 4 corners. They were up 22 with under 5 to play. The headline on the espn.com recon read "Wisconsin uses 26-2 run to bury Boston College" Usually when someone says you got buried you got blown out.

That said - who gives a shit? Its a godamn loss. Ironic or not (and it is) OJ is right you are just being argumentative
Art Vandelay
McGuinn Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:04 pm

Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
Eagledom {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:

Go Eagles. Love Donahue.

We can argue semantics of what is or is not a blowout but I have to say I agree the game was not as close as the score. They started running out clock and literally did not score for 5 minutes. That is not a comeback because of great D, that is Wisconsin having the game in hand and going 4 corners. They were up 22 with under 5 to play. The headline on the espn.com recon read "Wisconsin uses 26-2 run to bury Boston College" Usually when someone says you got buried you got blown out.

That said - who gives a shit? Its a godamn loss. Ironic or not (and it is) OJ is right you are just being argumentative

I was simply making the point that I wouldn't call it a blowout loss - which is argumentative...that's what sports discussions are for and more specifically used when you disagree with an assertion. I fully agree that the game got out of hand at one point - but BC was in it with a slim chance to still win very late. That alone makes it a non-blowout regardless of what else happens. And using "buried" does not always mean blowout, as in "last second shot buries BC". But whatever - rely on ESPN headlines over watching the game for yourself.

Either way, I'm sorry I brought it up - I should know better than to talk about anything other than pointing out when HJS is wrong or shitting on Skinner.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Return to Conte Forum