Tempo Free Stats

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Tempo Free Stats

Postby gaelfu on Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:11 am

I know some people think Pomeroy is full of shit, but I think it's pretty interesting that he has us as the 3rd best offense in the country as we come in at a cool 196th in defense. Even though I think our defense will bite us in the ass in ACC play, as a fan I love the exciting style of basketball that our amazing offense and awful defense has provided us. If Donahue can improve the D (and that's a major if), we could make some real noise this season, because the O is legit.
tobaccoroadeagle is a giant flaming tool, Fight the good fight 74!
gaelfu
Carney Hall

Re: Tempo Free Stats

Postby ryrob on Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:48 pm

gaelfu {l Wrote}:I know some people think Pomeroy is full of shit, but I think it's pretty interesting that he has us as the 3rd best offense in the country as we come in at a cool 196th in defense. Even though I think our defense will bite us in the ass in ACC play, as a fan I love the exciting style of basketball that our amazing offense and awful defense has provided us. If Donahue can improve the D (and that's a major if), we could make some real noise this season, because the O is legit.

Don't think the D is gonna improve much this year. We'll have to wait for some more depth and size next year before we see any dramatic changes, although I don't think lockdown D was ever Donahue's forte regardless.
ryrob
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:30 pm

gaelfu {l Wrote}:I know some people think Pomeroy is full of shit, but I think it's pretty interesting that he has us as the 3rd best offense in the country as we come in at a cool 196th in defense. Even though I think our defense will bite us in the ass in ACC play, as a fan I love the exciting style of basketball that our amazing offense and awful defense has provided us. If Donahue can improve the D (and that's a major if), we could make some real noise this season, because the O is legit.

I do think Pomeroy is full of shit, but I agree with him that we are good at offense and bad at defense. I won't use numbers, but I don't think we are as good or bad at either as he does.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:34 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

I do think Pomeroy is full of shit, but I agree with him that we are good at offense and bad at defense. I won't use numbers, but I don't think we are as good or bad at either as he does.

You think Pomeroy is full of shit because you don't use numbers at all in any analysis. You just lob red herrings out there and state them as fact. :boxer
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Art Vandelay on Thu Dec 23, 2010 6:16 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

Like any other model that tries to use quantitative analysis, Pomeroy's ratings tend toward extremes. As you said though, his numbers say we are good at offense and bad at defense, which I think we can all agree on so his system can't be all bad.
Art Vandelay
McGuinn Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:43 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

You think Pomeroy is full of shit because you don't use numbers at all in any analysis. You just lob red herrings out there and state them as fact. :boxer

My eyes work. Jerk.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Return to Conte Forum