Dudley's comments about BC as a "stepping stone"

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Dudley's comments about BC as a "stepping stone"

Postby Casey on Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:16 pm

cvilleagle {l Wrote}:I feel bad for Dudley. He goes from playing in the Western Conference Finals to playing for this shit Suns team. At least he got a nice contract out of it.

I think Dudley can go to hell after saying he'd like to coach at BC someday as a stepping stone to coaching at another college.

EDIT (by :shock) -
Don't normally edit/split out topics, but I felt like this one had slipped through the cracks
http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns/ar ... ve-go.html (via ATL's blog)
Casey
Carney Hall

Re: Trading 1 Pile of Crap for Another...

Postby RedBaron67 on Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:51 pm

Casey {l Wrote}:
cvilleagle {l Wrote}:I feel bad for Dudley. He goes from playing in the Western Conference Finals to playing for this shit Suns team. At least he got a nice contract out of it.

I think Dudley can go to hell after saying he'd like to coach at BC someday as a stepping stone to coaching at another college.

There's no point in getting pissed at Dudley for being honest. The BC coaching job has always been a stepping stone to somewhere higher on the basketball food chain for any coach ambitious to make it to the top. This was certainly true of Chuck Daly, Tom Davis, and Gary Williams; in an ass-backwards way, it was even true of Jim O'Brien. If Donahue proves to be as successful as it appears he might be, more prestigious programs will soon be looking at him as a target for raiding, much as BC grabbed him from Cornell. Unless he has priorities that supersede professional advancement, he's not likely to be at BC for all that long; BC basketball simply doesn't have the material underpinning (which includes student/alumni/fan enthusiasm) to consistently support a coach's ambitions at the highest level. We might not have kept York this long if college hockey weren't a minor enough sport for BC to compete at the highest level there. Dudley has always been an overachiever, and it was already obvious when he was at BC that he had a future as a coach; why should one not expect him to go for all of it?
RedBaron67
Campion Hall

Postby MattTheEagle on Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:14 am

I like Dudley a lot. However, I am shocked he would use the phrase "stepping stone" in an interview. Considering BC took Dudley when no high majors wanted him and turned him into one of the greatest players to play in the ACC and arguably the best player ever to play for BC. Sure he is being honest, but I was shocked from a PR standpoint he would say something like that, he could have at least said something like "I prefer the warm weather in my CA hometown."

As for the BC being a stepping stone, a lot depends on the mentality going in. A coach needs to think about it that they are going to make BC great to the point where it becomes an elite program. If a coach can make BC an elite program then the incentive to go somewhere else diminishes. At that point not much reason to ditch one elite program for another particularly if BC is willing to match the salary to maintain a coach. It may be different if BC was in a weak conference but the fact that it is in the ACC means that it is a conference hospitable to powerful programs. Not too long ago Wake was a powerhouse and it has similar academic standards and has an even smaller student body. I really hope Donahue continues to do very well with the program and I sure hope he can recruit. Realistically, it would be hard for me to see him turning down a Duke, Kentucky, Ohio State, Kansas, etc. offer, at the same time if he can do well at BC and can change the dynamics of the program to a all new high, it might be possible he'd be willing to stay especially if he Donahue really puts an emphasis on academics which (aside from Duke) BC gets higher marks. First things first, BC needs to do very well before this even becomes an issue.
MattTheEagle
Campion Hall

Postby RedBaron67 on Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:48 am

MattTheEagle {l Wrote}:I like Dudley a lot. However, I am shocked he would use the phrase "stepping stone" in an interview. Considering BC took Dudley when no high majors wanted him and turned him into one of the greatest players to play in the ACC and arguably the best player ever to play for BC. Sure he is being honest, but I was shocked from a PR standpoint he would say something like that, he could have at least said something like "I prefer the warm weather in my CA hometown."

As for the BC being a stepping stone, a lot depends on the mentality going in. A coach needs to think about it that they are going to make BC great to the point where it becomes an elite program. If a coach can make BC an elite program then the incentive to go somewhere else diminishes. At that point not much reason to ditch one elite program for another particularly if BC is willing to match the salary to maintain a coach. It may be different if BC was in a weak conference but the fact that it is in the ACC means that it is a conference hospitable to powerful programs. Not too long ago Wake was a powerhouse and it has similar academic standards and has an even smaller student body. I really hope Donahue continues to do very well with the program and I sure hope he can recruit. Realistically, it would be hard for me to see him turning down a Duke, Kentucky, Ohio State, Kansas, etc. offer, at the same time if he can do well at BC and can change the dynamics of the program to a all new high, it might be possible he'd be willing to stay especially if he Donahue really puts an emphasis on academics which (aside from Duke) BC gets higher marks. First things first, BC needs to do very well before this even becomes an issue.

I have to admit that Dudley's frankness was unflattering to BC, even if it did accurately reflect the program's past history; not being a terribly tactful person myself and being a bit of a bug for honesty and accuracy, I'm more inclined to overlook it than many others. As for the situation of the BC program, the key words in your statement are "match the salary." Historically, BC hasn't been willing to pay its basketball coaches that kind of money, which, apart from the purely material element, is a demonstration of the school's determination to make the program a championship contender. This normally requires a huge alumni/fan base and help from public funds (North Carolina, Kansas, Ohio State) or an alumni/fan base rabidly fixated on basketball (Duke) or both (Kentucky). Judging from his recruiting, Donahue really does want to build that kind of program at BC; the question is whether adequate support for it can be generated among students, alumni, and the Athletic Department. If that support emerges, it's at least conceivable that Donahue might hang around. I must admit that when he accepted the BC job, he certainly didn't sound as if he viewed it as a stepping stone, but newly hired coaches are generally more tactful than Dudley.
Incidentally, I should point out that Dudley coming to BC was a favor in both directions. BC was desperate for a forward after one they'd recruited got homesick during summer school and went back to Minnesota. They did a good job finding Dudley, who had always wanted to go to an Eastern college and was about to do a year of prep school to make himself more visible. It worked out very well for both sides. As for Dudley becoming a great player, he did most of the work himself with relentless self-motivation and an exceptional basketball IQ (which flagged him as a future coach).
RedBaron67
Campion Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:55 am

RedBaron67 {l Wrote}:
MattTheEagle {l Wrote}:I like Dudley a lot. However, I am shocked he would use the phrase "stepping stone" in an interview. Considering BC took Dudley when no high majors wanted him and turned him into one of the greatest players to play in the ACC and arguably the best player ever to play for BC. Sure he is being honest, but I was shocked from a PR standpoint he would say something like that, he could have at least said something like "I prefer the warm weather in my CA hometown."

I have to admit that Dudley's frankness was unflattering to BC, even if it did accurately reflect the program's past history; not being a terribly tactful person myself and being a bit of a bug for honesty and accuracy, I'm more inclined to overlook it than many others. As for the situation of the BC program, the key words in your statement are "match the salary." Historically, BC hasn't been willing to pay its basketball coaches that kind of money, which, apart from the purely material element, is a demonstration of the school's determination to make the program a championship contender. This normally requires a huge alumni/fan base and help from public funds (North Carolina, Kansas, Ohio State) or an alumni/fan base rabidly fixated on basketball (Duke) or both (Kentucky). Judging from his recruiting, Donahue really does want to build that kind of program at BC; the question is whether adequate support for it can be generated among students, alumni, and the Athletic Department. If that support emerges, it's at least conceivable that Donahue might hang around. I must admit that when he accepted the BC job, he certainly didn't sound as if he viewed it as a stepping stone, but newly hired coaches are generally more tactful than Dudley.
Incidentally, I should point out that Dudley coming to BC was a favor in both directions. BC was desperate for a forward after one they'd recruited got homesick during summer school and went back to Minnesota. They did a good job finding Dudley, who had always wanted to go to an Eastern college and was about to do a year of prep school to make himself more visible. It worked out very well for both sides. As for Dudley becoming a great player, he did most of the work himself with relentless self-motivation and an exceptional basketball IQ (which flagged him as a future coach).

The Don strikes me as a man of integrity. He has constantly said that he was only going to leave Cornell for the right situation and that BC offered that. Of course this is the same sentiment that most new coaches portray, especially when they are leaving a position they held for years and are getting a bump up. After all, I believed Jags' enthusiasm for BC. They certainly strike me as different, and I don't want to compare the two in every facet - but I think it says a lot that Jags has job-hopped throughout his career and Steve has gone about things quite differently. I have no doubt that with success will come monthly mentions of his name for bigger and more lucrative positions. We'll see what happens. Either way, I'm pleased he was hired and pleased with what he has done so far.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:44 am

I think there is a very good possibility Donahue could be here for a long time. Basketball is different from football. You don't need a huge fanbase nor do you need major resources to build and sustain an exceptional program. Donahue said he was an east coast guy and that BC was like an Ivy League playing big time basketball. I think that was sincere and there aren't many other schools that fit that description. If Donahue were an egomaniac and wanted to be a celebrity like Bruce Pearl, then he might entertain other offers. I don't think he is. But, I will say, if the fanbase continues to no-show over the next few years, then he might start to wonder. Conte Forum is a depressing atmosphere and it will have to improve in order to keep Donahue.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby RedBaron67 on Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:34 pm

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:I think there is a very good possibility Donahue could be here for a long time. Basketball is different from football. You don't need a huge fanbase nor do you need major resources to build and sustain an exceptional program. Donahue said he was an east coast guy and that BC was like an Ivy League playing big time basketball. I think that was sincere and there aren't many other schools that fit that description. If Donahue were an egomaniac and wanted to be a celebrity like Bruce Pearl, then he might entertain other offers. I don't think he is. But, I will say, if the fanbase continues to no-show over the next few years, then he might start to wonder. Conte Forum is a depressing atmosphere and it will have to improve in order to keep Donahue.

I certainly hope you're right, because I find it hard to imagine BC doing better than Donahue for the long term (and, by the way, in fairness we should applaud GDF for hiring him, whatever we think of the football situation). Success on the court should fill Conte Forum, at least for important games; after all, the place was rocking a few years ago when BC was nationally ranked. The problem is to build the steady base of support that energizes a program for the long haul, and BC carries the double burden of being a relatively small (i.e., smaller than Enormous State U.) private school located in a city religiously devoted to pro sports. I suppose even the BC hockey team provides some competition for the winter sports dollar, but I'm not crazy enough to complain about the hockey team; if only BC basketball could even come close!
RedBaron67
Campion Hall

Postby Eagledom on Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:06 pm

RedBaron67 {l Wrote}:

He shouldn't be publicly referring to the BC job as a stepping stone. He stepped down a notch in my opinion with that statement. Even if he believes it is a stepping stone to other potential coaches, when its your own alma mater, your goal as a new, up-and-coming coach should be should be to make it so it is no longer a stepping stone position, but rather a destination. Stupid thing to say.
Eagledom
Merkert Hall

Re: Dudley's comments about BC as a "stepping stone"

Postby joemack13 on Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:24 pm

He's not a bad guy for saying it, but I certainly like him less for it. The only thing I'd seriously take from it is that if he's ever on a short list to be BC's next coach that's an easy one to cross off the list.
joemack13
Campion Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:52 pm

Stupid comment by a class guy.

Then again..... BC is always up there in the stat graphics for college basketball as the one team with NCAA Tourney appearances and no Final Fours?

Then again.....BC is always up there in the stat graphics for college football as the one team with bowl appearances and no BCS Bunnies and no conference titles?

THE 74 TRUTH DON'T LIE!

I just gave my retirement a 2 year extension since yup, you got it..... I am terrific.
FALL 2011 WILL BE THE BEST EVER FOR BC SPORTS AT THE HEIGHTS!

Rettigun leading our Football team to 14-0 and a Title!

The Hoops Freshman starting a new Legacy!
The Icemen returneth for another shot at Title 5!

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby cornellfan on Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:16 pm

Donahue is not going anywhere, the only way he leaves BC is if you fire him. Donahue has 5 kids probably all below 12, 13 years old, he has remarked before how he does not understand how coaches with families move all around the country every few years. His wife hated Ithaca because they missed the city life and their family in Philly. He is not the guy that is going to keep jumping from school to school and keep moving his family especially since the one kid is autistic. Donahue did not have any fan support for his first 7 years at Cornell, he aint afraid of no Conte ghosts

Despite BC's lack of great basketball tradition, Donahue spent 20 years in the Ivy, just being in the ACC makes this a clear homerun job for him.
cornellfan
n00b

Postby Eagledom on Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:23 pm

cornellfan {l Wrote}: He is not the guy that is going to keep jumping from school to school and keep moving his family especially since the one kid is autistic.

Never heard that one before.

http://www.usatoday.com/printedition/sports/20071025/b2int_side25.art.htm
Eagledom
Merkert Hall

Postby BC923 on Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:26 pm

cornellfan {l Wrote}:Donahue is not going anywhere, the only way he leaves BC is if you fire him. Donahue has 5 kids probably all below 12, 13 years old, he has remarked before how he does not understand how coaches with families move all around the country every few years. His wife hated Ithaca because they missed the city life and their family in Philly. He is not the guy that is going to keep jumping from school to school and keep moving his family especially since the one kid is autistic. Donahue did not have any fan support for his first 7 years at Cornell, he aint afraid of no Conte ghosts

Despite BC's lack of great basketball tradition, Donahue spent 20 years in the Ivy, just being in the ACC makes this a clear homerun job for him.

Yeah, he seems like a guy that is appreciative of every opportunity, everything he has said implies that he loves Boston College. We are glad to have him.
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:28 pm

Dudley just guaranteed he doesnt get the Coaching job EVER (or as long as Gene D) is at the helm. (remember JJ)
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:29 pm

cornellfan {l Wrote}:Donahue is not going anywhere, the only way he leaves BC is if you fire him. Donahue has 5 kids probably all below 12, 13 years old, he has remarked before how he does not understand how coaches with families move all around the country every few years. His wife hated Ithaca because they missed the city life and their family in Philly. He is not the guy that is going to keep jumping from school to school and keep moving his family especially since the one kid is autistic. Donahue did not have any fan support for his first 7 years at Cornell, he aint afraid of no Conte ghosts

Thanks. A few more recruits and we can maybe get a Duke 77-22 run and 4 Bunnies for when I am drooling in my tippy cup in a few years....decades...weeks.

You know, pooping in a big set of soft cushioned (a BC tradition) undies sounds bad...but WTF...you throw that bastard out the window of your car and its not that bad of a deal.. its wiping your ass while driving at 75 years old that may be a limber and dexterity issue.

Thank God for bluetooth. Whew!
FALL 2011 WILL BE THE BEST EVER FOR BC SPORTS AT THE HEIGHTS!

Rettigun leading our Football team to 14-0 and a Title!

The Hoops Freshman starting a new Legacy!
The Icemen returneth for another shot at Title 5!

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:47 pm

I'm not going to crucify Dudley for this.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby Eagledom on Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:06 pm

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:I'm not going to crucify Dudley for this.

it was a fucking HORRIBLE thing to say for a BC guy. Pathetic actually.
Eagledom
Merkert Hall

Postby BC923 on Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:15 pm

Eagledom {l Wrote}:

Yes, most of us agree. But you have already had your sharing time, now it's your turn to eat a bag of dicks.
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby Eagledom on Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:26 pm

BC923 {l Wrote}:
Eagledom {l Wrote}:

Yes, most of us agree. But you have already had your sharing time, now it's your turn to eat a bag of dicks.

let me guess...you under 21 years old?
Eagledom
Merkert Hall

Postby apbc12 on Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:31 pm

Eagledom {l Wrote}:

His blood be upon us and our children.
apbc12
Higgins Hall

Postby Shredder on Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:38 pm

Hopefully by the time Dudley is a college coach, the BC job won't be a stepping stone. Most college coaching jobs are stepping stones in the sense that there are going to be dream jobs above them. Some schools are clear end points: by name it's UNC, Duke, Kentucky, Kansas, UCLA, possibly the Michigans and Indiana. By current prestige UConn and Syracuse are up there now. With the exception of a state school like Tennessee that can just throw a lot of money at a coach, that's probably it. If Dudley wants to be a guy like Calipari, even cleaner, then he's very right knowing that BC won't be that place. Still, it would've been nicer if he found a better way to say that.
Shredder
McGuinn Hall

Postby Eagledom on Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:42 pm

Shredder {l Wrote}:Hopefully by the time Dudley is a college coach, the BC job won't be a stepping stone. Most college coaching jobs are stepping stones in the sense that there are going to be dream jobs above them. Some schools are clear end points: by name it's UNC, Duke, Kentucky, Kansas, UCLA, possibly the Michigans and Indiana. By current prestige UConn and Syracuse are up there now. With the exception of a state school like Tennessee that can just throw a lot of money at a coach, that's probably it. If Dudley wants to be a guy like Calipari, even cleaner, then he's very right knowing that BC won't be that place. Still, it would've been nicer if he found a better way to say that.

again...thats not the fucking point. If you have yet to ever coach a game, your aspirations should be TO MAKE BC A DESTINATION rather than a stepping stone. Its completely different than what someone might say in an objective view of the current state of the program vs what an alum with coaching aspirations should say. Dudley is an idiot for saying this. He basically said, " I want to be a big time coach someday, and since I have connections there, I would like to start at BC and then go somewhere better."

i hope he never gets a sniff of the BC coaching job since its clearly not good enough for him
Eagledom
Merkert Hall

Postby thebigskinny31 on Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:52 pm

JaredDudley619 Jared Dudley
RT @mdell74: @JaredDudley619 can't believe you called BC a stepping stone job... ( lol I love BC, I was joking with the papers)

No need to go crazy he was just kidding.
thebigskinny31
Carney Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:56 am

thebigskinny31 {l Wrote}:JaredDudley619 Jared Dudley
RT @mdell74: @JaredDudley619 can't believe you called BC a stepping stone job... ( lol I love BC, I was joking with the papers)

No need to go crazy he was just kidding.

hhahahahahahahahahahahaha

Not funny
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby EagleNYC on Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:02 am

I agree with the general sentiment: a very shitty thing said by a great guy.
EagleNYC
Cushing Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:15 am

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:ummmm... have you guys ever heard the phrase "not addressing the elephant in the corner?" it seems like dudley hasn't.

as soon as someone can prove to me that what he said isn't true, i'll let myself get angry at what he said

BINGO!

Dudley was right on. Go to a game, ya jerks. When 6 of you do that (doubling the normal attendance) I'll listen to this horrible, whiny Tupperware session.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Dirtywater75 on Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:20 am

EagleNYC {l Wrote}:I agree with the general sentiment: a very shitty thing said by a great guy.

And he is a great guy because he was a great basketball player for BC? No offense - but maybe you know him personally and have a good reason for saying that or know something more about him. And I agree - it was an unnecessary public insult that made him look like an arrogant turd. Hasslebeck also seems to have no fondness for BC. Maybe it has something to do about how his youngest brother fared at BC.
Dirtywater75
Carney Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:29 am

Dirtywater75 {l Wrote}:
EagleNYC {l Wrote}:I agree with the general sentiment: a very shitty thing said by a great guy.

And he is a great guy because he was a great basketball player for BC? No offense - but maybe you know him personally and have a good reason for saying that or know something more about him. And I agree - it was an unnecessary public insult that made him look like an arrogant turd. Hasslebeck also seems to have no fondness for BC. Maybe it has something to do about how his youngest brother fared at BC.

Do you base Hasselbeck's lack of fondness on the one time on MNF that he said he was from his high school, like every other douchebag football player at the time? Or is there more to that?
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby cvilleagle on Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:30 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:ummmm... have you guys ever heard the phrase "not addressing the elephant in the corner?" it seems like dudley hasn't.

as soon as someone can prove to me that what he said isn't true, i'll let myself get angry at what he said

BINGO!

Dudley was right on. Go to a game, ya jerks. When 6 of you do that (doubling the normal attendance) I'll listen to this horrible, whiny Tupperware session.

+2. Spot on.
cvilleagle
Devlin Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:01 pm

cornellfan {l Wrote}: Donahue did not have any fan support for his first 7 years at Cornell, he aint afraid of no Conte ghosts

pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Next

Return to Conte Forum