SI Has Us As a 5

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

SI Has Us As a 5

Postby claver2010 on Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:48 pm

Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Re: SI Has Us As a 5

Postby cvilleagle on Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:17 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:In the it's entirely too early to talk bracketology....

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/andy_glockner/12/20/bracket.watch/index.html?eref=sihp

Yeah I saw that earlier and it's just ridiculous - hardly anyone has even played a conference game yet!
cvilleagle
Devlin Hall

Postby RedBaron67 on Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:05 pm

cvilleagle {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:In the it's entirely too early to talk bracketology....

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/andy_glockner/12/20/bracket.watch/index.html?eref=sihp

Yeah I saw that earlier and it's just ridiculous - hardly anyone has even played a conference game yet!

I think we've become the flavor of the week because nearly everyone expected us to be considerably worse than we've been so far. Obviously nothing should be taken very seriously until we get at least a few games into the conference schedule.
RedBaron67
Campion Hall

Postby BCEagles25 on Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:16 pm

I don't really have a problem with us being the #2 ACC team, because it's a very mixed bag. However, if we God forbid end up with a five seed, guess who's getting coach of the year? His name begins with 'Steve D' and ends with an 'onahue.'
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby EagleDave on Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:29 pm

The more apt discussion might be, if BC makes the tournament as anything better than a 10 seed, does Donahue win COY? I think the answer is a resounding yes.
Is this the 5 o'clock free crack giveaway?
EagleDave
Merkert Hall

Postby BCMurt09 on Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:35 pm

I just think its funny they have us as a 5 seed playing Kent State in the opening round. Geno must love that.
"...and Lane Stadium goes silent..."

"On a red bandanna night, it's going to be a red letter day"

"Drive by Girardi and a save. Rebound...SCORE!"

"Stroud in trouble and Stroud is sacked again! Oh-jah-BO!"
BCMurt09
Merkert Hall

Postby EagleNYC on Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:17 pm

Given how piss poor our defense has been, I consider us a pretender until we start making a dent in the ACC schedule. That is not to say we won't win 9 games, I just don't think we know enough about this team to see how they perform with conference competition game after game. I won't be surprised by 6-12 or 12-6. However, when in doubt, take the over.
EagleNYC
Cushing Hall

Postby BC923 on Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:40 pm

EagleNYC {l Wrote}:Given how piss poor our defense has been, I consider us a pretender until we start making a dent in the ACC schedule. That is not to say we won't win 9 games, I just don't think we know enough about this team to see how they perform with conference competition game after game. I won't be surprised by 6-12 or 12-6. However, when in doubt, take the over.

vs. Georgia Tech--WIN, they have been awful this year.(2-0)
vs. North Carolina State ---WIN, haven't been awful aside from Wisconsin game but they haven't played anyone that looks good on the schedule.(3-0)
at Miami --Lost to Rutgers but beat WVU. They might be tough, ill give it a LOSS (3-1)
vs. Virginia --Haven't scored much this year and have been curbstomped by Washington and Stanford. Only 1 great showing against Minny. WIN (4-1)
at Florida State --Athletic team. Too much size. Unproven but we don't beat them. LOSS (4-2)
at Duke --LOSS enough said. (4-3)
vs. North Carolina --I think we get a split against UNC this year. We'll actually fill up Conte for this. BC does well in Duke/UNC games at home recently. WIN (5-3)
vs. Virginia Tech --Delaney can score. They've been tested by good teams. But they aren't great. I still think we lose this one though. LOSS (5-4)
at Clemson -- Seton Hall took them to overtime. Don't have their usual athletic teams that give us trouble. WIN (6-4)
vs. Maryland --We won in Maryland. Our play is only going to get better as we progress in the season. WIN (7-4)
at North Carolina --We won't win in Chapel Hill. This series is a split at best for us. LOSS (7-5)
vs. Miami --I think we can split with them. They are pretty good this year, but not unbeatable. WIN (8-5)
at Virginia --We get a good win down in Virginia, don't have a lot of size which is the kind of team that will give us trouble. WIN (9-5)
at Virginia Tech --We lose in Blacksburg, which sucks because this game is important in seeding. LOSS (9-6)
vs. Wake Forest-- Worst team in the ACC bar none. WIN and big. (10-6)

Even assuming we lose 1 more non-conference game, which i don't think is likely, this would bring us to 21-9,10-6 which is more like a 6 or 7 seed but if we didn't lose another game until conference play it would be 22-8, 10-6, which is pretty good. I don't see many sure losses up there and i think we could sneak out more. If we get 11-5 that would surely get us a 5 seed.
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:40 pm

EagleNYC {l Wrote}:Given how piss poor our defense has been, I consider us a pretender until we start making a dent in the ACC schedule. That is not to say we won't win 9 games, I just don't think we know enough about this team to see how they perform with conference competition game after game. I won't be surprised by 6-12 or 12-6. However, when in doubt, take the over.

Our first couple of ACC games are against really bad competition. We start out with the immortal Paul Hewitt and his underachieving bunch at home. We then get NCST at home which is probably a toss up but at home I'd like to think we'd win. We then play a so-so Miami team down in Coral Gables before playing an average UVA team at home. We shouldn't lose more than 1 of those games with a bunch at home putting us at 4-1 to start ACC play. Unfortunately then murders row (ACC style) starts with @ FSU, @ Duke, UNC, VT which could certainly be 0-4.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby EagleNYC on Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:17 am

Like I said, I won't be surprised with a 12 win ACC season, but I don't think we really knew too much about whether this team can play at a higher level on a consistent basis. By "higher" I'm referencing a garbage UMass squad, Bryant, etc. There are good signs (shooting) and bad signs (defense, rebounding). Those wins against UMass, PC and UMD were by a total of 11 points; the margin of error is very small. I think we'll know a lot more about this team by 1/15.
EagleNYC
Cushing Hall

Return to Conte Forum