Improvement under Donahue

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Improvement under Donahue

Postby claver2010 on Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:22 am

The season is less than a third over and many of these averages won't hold but it's hard to not recognize the improvement of some players under Donahue -particularly Paris & Southern.

Paris:
Biko coming into his junior year was expected to take over the reigns of a team that just went to the tourney. Many (including myself) thought he would be a better PG for the team, his development just didn't happen last year. We've seen a marked improvement though in his senior year.

FR-JR Year:
4.6 PPG, 36-121 3PT (29.8%)
SR Year:
10.8 PPG, 19-49 3 PT (38.8%)

Southern:
While much of Southern's first 3 years have been negative with thoughts such as: Is there a worse 6-10 rebounder, how did MSU/Kentucky offer this guy, etc. he has developed an offensive game that will take some pressure off of the perimeter come ACC time.

FR-JR Year:
5.3 PPG, 49.5 FG%, 65.9 FT%
SR Year:
8.5 PPG, 73.2 FG%, 80.6% FT%

I know TW will bitch and moan about this statement but I wonder what these players, especially Paris since I thought he could be an above average ACC PG, could have done with 4 years under Donahue.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Re: Improvement under Donahue

Postby gaelfu on Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:30 am

It's been quite amazing watching our team turn into a finely tuned offensive machine. Who could have predicted that before the season? Kenpom has us on a per-possession basis as the 4th best offense in the country.

We are terrible defensively though. As much as the offense has gotten better compared with last year, I think the defensive level of play has stagnated or even regressed a little bit. If we want to get to 10 wins in the ACC, we're gonna have to get better on defense. We're don't need to turn into Duke or FSU on D, but some incremental improvement would be nice. But the fact that we can even talk about 10 wins in the ACC with this roster (and 3 walkons getting minutes) is just a testament to Donahue's coaching ability. I'm really excited about the next few years of BC Basketball!
tobaccoroadeagle is a giant flaming tool, Fight the good fight 74!
gaelfu
Carney Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:36 pm

Our defense is down right horrible, but it was down right horrible under Skinner also. Donahue is trying all kinds of different zone looks but it doesn't seem to help a whole lot. It's also going to be hard to have a good defensive team with no inside shot blocker and have a guy like Danny Rubin trying to guard athletic SF's in the ACC.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby mieagle88 on Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:05 pm

I'm too lazy to look up the stats, but is the shooting percentage for our opponents better this year, or is the fact that we are playing more up tempo giving our opponents more possessions as well?

In either case, I would much rather give up a few more points to see this brand of ball.
mieagle88
n00b

Postby Cadillac90 on Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:05 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:I know TW will bitch and moan about this statement but I wonder what these players, especially Paris since I thought he could be an above average ACC PG, could have done with 4 years under Donahue.

I know what I would say, FOAD, penis breath.

These "what if" comparisons have gone beyond ridiculous at this point. A great coach once said, "cowards and losers live in the past." Can't you be in the least bit positive and move forward? Try to focus on this year's team without rehashing what could have been scenarios like you have some sort of crystal ball. If you are that bored, go pull your pud or something.

Regards,
Mrs. Skinner
Cadillac90
Cushing Hall

Postby Eagledom on Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:09 pm

Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:I know TW will bitch and moan about this statement but I wonder what these players, especially Paris since I thought he could be an above average ACC PG, could have done with 4 years under Donahue.

These "what if" comparisons have gone beyond ridiculous at this point. A great coach once said, "cowards and losers live in the past." Can't you be in the least bit positive and move forward? Try to focus on this year's team without rehashing what could have been scenarios like you have some sort of crystal ball. If you are that bored, go pull your pud or something.

Regards,
Mrs. Skinner

Wow, its gotten the the point that the skinner lovers are so sensitive that you can't even mention something as obvious as player improvement. Sensitive bunch. I guess I would be sensitive too if I were proven wrong as quickly as the skinner lovers were.
Eagledom
Merkert Hall

Postby Cadillac90 on Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:14 pm

Eagledom {l Wrote}:
Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:

Regards,
Mrs. Skinner

Wow, its gotten the the point that the skinner lovers are so sensitive that you can't even mention something as obvious as player improvement. Sensitive bunch. I guess I would be sensitive too if I were proven wrong as quickly as the skinner lovers were.

Proven wrong how? Does the KKK have a crystal ball that would have predicted every game and every player's statistic under the old coach? :orca
Cadillac90
Cushing Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:17 pm

Eagledom {l Wrote}:
Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:

Regards,
Mrs. Skinner

I agree stop being so sensitive. He's not trashing on Skinner it's just a question. The defense has been ugly under both coaches. Getting some height in here next year should help.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby bluefishskip on Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:25 pm

Last 3 Seasons

2010-2011 (thus far): Opponent FG% 43.4% (10th in ACC/172nd Nationally)
Opponent 2ptFG% 49.7% (12th in ACC/220th Nationally)

2009-2010 Season: Opponent FG% 43.6% (11th in ACC/186th Nationally)
Opponent 2ptFG% 49.0% (12th in ACC/226th Nationally)

2008-2009 Season: Opponent FG% 42.6% (8th in ACC/121st Nationally)
Opponent 2ptFG% 46.7% (9th in ACC/106th Nationally)
bluefishskip
Carney Hall

Postby BCEagles25 on Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:19 pm

Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:

Regards,
Mrs. Skinner

Gee, you just had to harp on that one part of the post right?
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:20 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:The season is less than a third over and many of these averages won't hold but it's hard to not recognize the improvement of some players under Donahue -particularly Paris & Southern.

Paris:
Biko coming into his junior year was expected to take over the reigns of a team that just went to the tourney. Many (including myself) thought he would be a better PG for the team, his development just didn't happen last year. We've seen a marked improvement though in his senior year.

FR-JR Year:
SR Year:

Southern:
While much of Southern's first 3 years have been negative with thoughts such as: Is there a worse 6-10 rebounder, how did MSU/Kentucky offer this guy, etc. he has developed an offensive game that will take some pressure off of the perimeter come ACC time.

FR-JR Year:
SR Year:

I know TW will bitch and moan about this statement but I wonder what these players, especially Paris since I thought he could be an above average ACC PG, could have done with 4 years under Donahue.

Not going to bitch and moan. Both of these players are playing a lot better in this system. Will note that it is the "Corey Raji Memorial 20 ppg" section of the schedule, but I am optimistic that both Paris and Southern have made huge leaps under Donahue. Jackson as well.

Raji and Trapani have gone the other way, Raji's recent heroics against MD notwithstanding.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby BC923 on Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:49 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:The season is less than a third over and many of these averages won't hold but it's hard to not recognize the improvement of some players under Donahue -particularly Paris & Southern.

Paris:

FR-JR Year:
SR Year:

Southern:

FR-JR Year:
SR Year:

Not going to bitch and moan. Both of these players are playing a lot better in this system. Will note that it is the "Corey Raji Memorial 20 ppg" section of the schedule, but I am optimistic that both Paris and Southern have made huge leaps under Donahue. Jackson as well.

Raji and Trapani have gone the other way, Raji's recent heroics against MD notwithstanding.

I disagree on Raji. He hasn't put up numbers, but he makes far fewer mistakes this year, i don't know the stats but i would guess he is turning the ball over less. It's a product of not playing as much. I don't think his skills or knowledge for the game have regressed, just his numbers. Trapani on the other hand has gotten worse ever since his first season. I don't know what is going on but he just doesn't get it. He looks lost on defense and doesn't know what to do on offense. He is losing his shooting touch progressively as well.
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:41 pm

BC923 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

Paris:

FR-JR Year:
SR Year:

Southern:

FR-JR Year:
SR Year:

I disagree on Raji. He hasn't put up numbers, but he makes far fewer mistakes this year, i don't know the stats but i would guess he is turning the ball over less. It's a product of not playing as much. I don't think his skills or knowledge for the game have regressed, just his numbers. Trapani on the other hand has gotten worse ever since his first season. I don't know what is going on but he just doesn't get it. He looks lost on defense and doesn't know what to do on offense. He is losing his shooting touch progressively as well.

Raji is not playing as much because his game doesn't fit the Don's system. That's kind of my point.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Eagledom on Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:49 pm

BC923 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

Paris:

FR-JR Year:
SR Year:

Southern:

FR-JR Year:
SR Year:

TW likes to shit on Raji at any given opportunity. He may not be the most talented guy in the world, but he is a hard worker and is a huge asset on the boards. He hasn't regressed at all. He will give us a shot in ACC games that we wouldn't have without him working the glass. Trapani, on the other hand, has regressed, because he has no outside shot this year.
Eagledom
Merkert Hall

Postby cvilleagle on Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:58 pm

Interestingly, kenpom is all over Raji's nuts. #6 in the country in offensive rating.
cvilleagle
Devlin Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:09 pm

Eagledom {l Wrote}:
BC923 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

Paris:

FR-JR Year:
SR Year:

Southern:

FR-JR Year:
SR Year:

TW likes to shit on Raji at any given opportunity. He may not be the most talented guy in the world, but he is a hard worker and is a huge asset on the boards. He hasn't regressed at all. He will give us a shot in ACC games that we wouldn't have without him working the glass. Trapani, on the other hand, has regressed, because he has no outside shot this year.

Unlike Trapani, Raji got benched under your boy and lost minutes. Just sayin'. Seems to be a bit of a conundrum for you in always arguing with me.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:11 pm

cvilleagle {l Wrote}:Interestingly, kenpom is all over Raji's nuts. #6 in the country in offensive rating.

That's why kenpom is utterly retarded. He's sort of like a retarded Michael Lewis picking basketball instead of baseball games.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby BC923 on Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:11 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Eagledom {l Wrote}:
BC923 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

Paris:

FR-JR Year:
SR Year:

Southern:

FR-JR Year:
SR Year:

Unlike Trapani, Raji got benched under your boy and lost minutes. Just sayin'. Seems to be a bit of a conundrum for you in always arguing with me.

a 2 inch taller Raji would start. Unfortunately the fact that he is 6'6 means that he can't get too much time at PF. He's been better than Trapani this year.
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:14 pm

BC923 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Eagledom {l Wrote}:
BC923 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

Paris:

FR-JR Year:
SR Year:

Southern:

FR-JR Year:
SR Year:

a 2 inch taller Raji would start. Unfortunately the fact that he is 6'6 means that he can't get too much time at PF. He's been better than Trapani this year.

He has been better than Trapani, but not much. Note that I shit on Trapani as well. They are the two older guys that have clearly regressed. Paris, Jackson and Southern are thriving. Dunn is Dunn and Elmore looks pretty much the same.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby BC923 on Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:17 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
BC923 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Eagledom {l Wrote}:
BC923 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

Paris:

FR-JR Year:
SR Year:

Southern:

FR-JR Year:
SR Year:

He has been better than Trapani, but not much. Note that I shit on Trapani as well. They are the two older guys that have clearly regressed. Paris, Jackson and Southern are thriving. Dunn is Dunn and Elmore looks pretty much the same.

Yeah, I thought you were saying that Trapani was playing better than him. Nevermind.
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby Eagledom on Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:27 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Eagledom {l Wrote}:
BC923 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

Paris:

FR-JR Year:
SR Year:

Southern:

FR-JR Year:
SR Year:

starting vs. being 6th man means shit. He plays just as many minutes as last year..maybe 1 minute less per game, and that is only because a game that included a 2nd half injury. Nice try though.

He also averages more PPG, more RPG, and has a much higher shooting %. But, yeah, he's regressed.
Eagledom
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:36 pm

Raji is a good hard working player who doesn't fit at all in Donahue's system. Having said that, I like the guy and I don't get why people keep dumping on him.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Eagledom on Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:44 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:Raji is a good hard working player who doesn't fit at all in Donahue's system. Having said that, I like the guy and I don't get why people keep dumping on him.

TWB likes to dump on him because forever he told everyone that Sanders was a lottery pick in the nba and was told he was an idiot for it...he reacted by deflecting the argument to raji missing layups and has stuck with it ever since.
Eagledom
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:45 pm

Eagledom {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:Raji is a good hard working player who doesn't fit at all in Donahue's system. Having said that, I like the guy and I don't get why people keep dumping on him.

TWB likes to dump on him because forever he told everyone that Sanders was a lottery pick in the nba and was told he was an idiot for it...he reacted by deflecting the argument to raji missing layups and has stuck with it ever since.

Raji does miss a ton of layups...just sayin
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby BC923 on Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:46 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
Eagledom {l Wrote}:

he does, he needs to go up stronger, same thing with trapani. they need to either finish with a dunk or slap it off the backboard and/or go up with 2 hands.
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:48 pm

BC923 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
Eagledom {l Wrote}:

he does, he needs to go up stronger, same thing with trapani. they need to either finish with a dunk or slap it off the backboard and/or go up with 2 hands.

Trapani loves that awful underhand flip shot, ugh.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby BC923 on Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:49 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
BC923 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
Eagledom {l Wrote}:

Trapani loves that awful underhand flip shot, ugh.

i don't understand that, he's more athletic and bigger than the other guy. Go up strong for fucks sake.
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby gaelfu on Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:58 pm

Raji hasn't regressed. He's getting tons of garbage baskets as usual and is hitting 80% from the stripe this year. He used to be terrible at FTs. He's expanded his range beyond the arc too. To say that he's regressed because he lost his starting spot misses the point entirely. He's been very productive with the minutes he's had, and I'll take those shorter bursts over the long stretches of inactivity that I've seen from him in the past any day of the week.
tobaccoroadeagle is a giant flaming tool, Fight the good fight 74!
gaelfu
Carney Hall

Postby claver2010 on Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:18 pm

Eagledom {l Wrote}:

I'll say this, Rakim came in the most NBA ready recruit we've had in my time watching BC. He had the NBA type body and would play lock down D when motivated. Then he discovered dribbling the ball off his foot and the double cheese steaks.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:37 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:
Eagledom {l Wrote}:

I'll say this, Rakim came in the most NBA ready recruit we've had in my time watching BC. He had the NBA type body and would play lock down D when motivated. Then he discovered dribbling the ball off his foot and the double cheese steaks.

Rakim Sanders was so awful it's beyond words. I don't care how much talent he has/has, he's a waste of space. I'd much rather have a Corey Raji who although is limited, gives 100% out there instead of Rakim.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Next

Return to Conte Forum