First Bracketology is out!

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: First Bracketology is out!

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:37 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:i really think you are downplaying how bad the acc will be perceived on a national level and how horrendous the losses to the ivies will be viewed. 20 wins is on the bubble and teams with two ivy losses do not get off the bubble.

lastly - much like football and the bowl selection, bc basketball does not get a whole lot of love from the selection committee. if x4nd0r hadn't ruined the old ei website you could go back 6 or 7 years and read the annual gripes about our mistreatment in seeds, locations, or not being selected at all.

I can only remember one year when BC was slighted completely, which is the issue. They are usual underseeded, but that is neither here nor there when considering whether they will be selected. Apples and Oranges.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Hawkaroo on Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:38 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:i really think you are downplaying how bad the acc will be perceived on a national level and how horrendous the losses to the ivies will be viewed. 20 wins is on the bubble and teams with two ivy losses do not get off the bubble.

lastly - much like football and the bowl selection, bc basketball does not get a whole lot of love from the selection committee. if x4nd0r hadn't ruined the old ei website you could go back 6 or 7 years and read the annual gripes about our mistreatment in seeds, locations, or not being selected at all.

Spot on. They will get 20 or 21 wins but will need to win a couple more in the ACC tournament to get off the bubble.
White Sox World Series Champs 2005...
Hawkaroo
n00b

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:40 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

I can only remember one year when BC was slighted completely, which is the issue. They are usual underseeded, but that is neither here nor there when considering whether they will be selected. Apples and Oranges.

That said, I agree with you first premise, as I have in this and other threads.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby BCeezy on Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:40 pm

Eamonn Brennan's ACC Rankings on ESPN has us 5th.

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketba ... ryone-else

5. Boston College Eagles. Sure, Boston College has its share of questionable losses to date this season. The Eagles have dropped a pair of home games to Ivy Leaguers Yale and Harvard, not to mention an ugly road loss at Rhode Island. But Boston College has two things few teams in the ACC do: a truly elite offense -- ranked No. 3 in the nation by Pomeroy as of Tuesday night -- and a legitimate star. That star is junior guard Reggie Jackson, who shoots the lights out, doesn’t turn the ball over, and assists his teammates at a very high rate. The Eagles are already showing the effects of former Cornell coach Steve Donahue’s influence; this is a ruthless, intelligent offense that can play with any team in the country. So why are the Eagles ranked No. 5? They don’t play a lick of defense. But they’ll be fun to watch as the season progresses, and even with that ugly D, an NCAA tournament berth is looking like a probability.
BCeezy
Carney Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:44 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

I remember winning our division in the BE and not making it, which was ludicrous.

Did Cornell play defese last year?
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:46 pm

DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

I remember winning our division in the BE and not making it, which was ludicrous.

Did Cornell play defese last year?

Not really.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby pick6pedro on Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:50 pm

DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

Sure, but they were 18-11 with 2 wins against NCAA tourney teams (UConn and NCSU). I actually thought they were going to be selected, but openly said they shouldn't be. Many whined that the poor showing against Texas the year before did them in. I think it was the lack of good wins.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby Hawkaroo on Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:59 pm

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

Sure, but they were 18-11 with 2 wins against NCAA tourney teams (UConn and NCSU). I actually thought they were going to be selected, but openly said they shouldn't be. Many whined that the poor showing against Texas the year before did them in. I think it was the lack of good wins.

Yes, but they beat Harvard that year!
White Sox World Series Champs 2005...
Hawkaroo
n00b

Postby pick6pedro on Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:04 pm

Hawkaroo {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

Yes, but they beat Harvard that year!

pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:10 pm

It really doesn't matter. I'm just tellling you that an ACC team with 20 wins total, 9 or 10 in conference and at least 1 in the ACCT with an OOC schedule that consists of A&M, Cal, Wisconsin, Providence and South Carolina is making the NCAA Tournament. Rhode Island isn't an awful road loss when Biko Paris didn't play which the committee will take into account. The Yale and Harvard losses are horrible but it's not going to keep us out with the resume I mentioned above.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:12 pm

Hawkaroo {l Wrote}:

Spot on. They will get 20 or 21 wins but will need to win a couple more in the ACC tournament to get off the bubble.

Bubble or not, 20 wins gets you in with this schedule. No doubt about it unless we lose in the first round of the ACCT to Wake or something stupid like that.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Previous

Return to Conte Forum