Nelens Noel

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Nelens Noel

Postby footer20 on Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:21 pm

Is Nerlens Noel related to our Jim Noel and Maryland's Rodman Noel? They are all from Everett, the only difference being nerlens is 6-11 compared to the 6-4 brothers playing college football. If he was Jim's brother could we use that to get him here? maybe another raji family package?
footer20
McGuinn Hall

Re: Nelens Noel

Postby eepstein0 on Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:27 pm

I'm pretty sure he isn't looking at BC currently. I heard he was close to a Providence commitment...
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby MattTheEagle on Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:49 pm

Yeah, I am pretty sure they are all brothers. Perhaps Eepstein knows more about the situation than I do, but I would be shocked if he committed to providence any time soon, I am pretty sure he is class of 2012. Not saying we are a favorite, but I do think BC is trying to recruit him and I think he has made a visit as well.
MattTheEagle
Campion Hall

Postby RedBaron67 on Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:32 pm

Noel reclassified from 2012 to 2013 this fall when he transferred from Everett H.S. to the Tilton School in N.H., and promptly moved into the national top 10 in the 2013 class. Being already the best prep shot blocker in the country -- at a local AAU tournament this weekend, opposing teams didn't even try to make layups against him -- he'll undoubtedly attract the predictable recruiting stampede with the usual big names leading the charge. Surprisingly, I haven't heard anything about BC recruiting him, a glaring contrast with Donahue making the first high-major offer to local 2013 prospects Noah Vonleh (Haverhill H.S.) and Rene Castro (Beaver Country Day School). I've been assuming that Donahue backed away from Noel either because he thought the field was already too crowded or because he thought Noel was too obviously a one-and-done. He certainly looks like a desirable recruit even for one year -- anyone who blocks 20 shots in one AAU game is not only a valuable but a rare talent.
RedBaron67
Campion Hall

Postby Casey on Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:09 pm

Is Nerlen even a plausible target for BC? I thought he was much weaker on academics than Rodman (who had to prep a year to clear Prop 42/48).

Before he was held back a year, wasn't their talk that Nerlens would have to go pro in Europe, because he was so far behind on his grades and scores?
Casey
Carney Hall

Postby BC923 on Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:10 pm

Casey {l Wrote}:Is Nerlen even a plausible target for BC? I thought he was much weaker on academics than Rodman (who had to prep a year to clear Prop 42/48).

Before he was held back a year, wasn't their talk that Nerlens would have to go pro in Europe, because he was so far behind on his grades and scores?

This is what I thought, and Rodman only didn't come to BC because he couldn't get his grades straight, and i'm pretty sure this was the issue with Nerlens.
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby footer20 on Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:13 pm

Vonleh could also very easily be a one and done too but he would be huge for the program, as would rene castro. Castro would probably have a bigger effect because he could hang around awhile and be great
footer20
McGuinn Hall

Postby BCMcG on Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:15 pm

Casey {l Wrote}:Is Nerlen even a plausible target for BC? I thought he was much weaker on academics than Rodman (who had to prep a year to clear Prop 42/48).

As a HS sophomore, isn't this a bit premature? Maybe it would be a greater issue at Everett, but I would assume that a school like Tilton would have the academic support services available to prepare its students adequately for college.
BCMcG
McGuinn Hall

Postby Casey on Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:38 pm

BCMcG {l Wrote}:

As a HS sophomore, isn't this a bit premature? Maybe it would be a greater issue at Everett, but I would assume that a school like Tilton would have the academic support services available to prepare its students adequately for college.

I wasn't judging, I just recall seeing a few stories to that effect, including quotes from an AAU coach saying that going pro is probably the better course for him, given how far he was. Perhaps stepping back a year, and switching schools shows that Nerlens would prefer to give college a try, but I'm pretty sure he has a lot of catching up to do from BC's standards.
Casey
Carney Hall

Postby RedBaron67 on Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:04 am

Casey {l Wrote}:
BCMcG {l Wrote}:

I wasn't judging, I just recall seeing a few stories to that effect, including quotes from an AAU coach saying that going pro is probably the better course for him, given how far he was. Perhaps stepping back a year, and switching schools shows that Nerlens would prefer to give college a try, but I'm pretty sure he has a lot of catching up to do from BC's standards.

footer20 {l Wrote}:Vonleh could also very easily be a one and done too but he would be huge for the program, as would rene castro. Castro would probably have a bigger effect because he could hang around awhile and be great

Giving himself three years of prep school certainly suggests that Noel is pretty serious about gaining academic eligibility, and some schools are clearly assuming that he will; ESPN reports that he already has offers from Florida, Georgetown, and Kansas.

As for Vonleh and Castro, they would both be valuable recruits, in Vonleh's case maybe even a star on the national level. How long Vonleh will be in college is connected to the question of whether he'll reclassify to 2014, and I suspect he will. He's over a year younger than Noel, and appears to be a late developer physically. However it works out, I'm really pleased that Donahue got in on the ground floor with early offers to both Vonleh and Castro.
RedBaron67
Campion Hall

Postby claver2010 on Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:24 am

RedBaron67 {l Wrote}:He's over a year younger than Noel, and appears to be a late developer physically.

Easy hoops weirdos
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:29 pm

Rodman did a PG year at Milford Academy in New York. Hes listed on EA as a 4* LB this year as opposed to a DB (safety i think) last year. AS of now, Maryland is the only school to offer, but he lists interest from BC as well.
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby BCHerbert on Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:10 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:
RedBaron67 {l Wrote}:He's over a year younger than Noel, and appears to be a late developer physically.

Easy hoops weirdos

Music to my ears...hoops weirdos sound like my type of guys...I finally found my niche on this site...
BCHerbert
McGuinn Hall

Postby BC923 on Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:47 pm

BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:Rodman did a PG year at Milford Academy in New York. Hes listed on EA as a 4* LB this year as opposed to a DB (safety i think) last year. AS of now, Maryland is the only school to offer, but he lists interest from BC as well.

we usually don't offer kids that take a PG year for academics.
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby RedBaron67 on Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:07 pm

BCHerbert {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:

Easy hoops weirdos

Music to my ears...hoops weirdos sound like my type of guys...I finally found my niche on this site...

Glad to find a kindred spirit -- hoops weirdos unite! I should also mention that Vonleh only turned 15 this summer, which means he'd be starting college barely past his 18th birthday if he doesn't reclassify. Of course, there have been past NBA players who started college even younger than that, so we shall see.
RedBaron67
Campion Hall

Postby cvilleagle on Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:55 pm

RedBaron67 {l Wrote}:
BCHerbert {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:

Easy hoops weirdos

Glad to find a kindred spirit -- hoops weirdos unite! I should also mention that Vonleh only turned 15 this summer, which means he'd be starting college barely past his 18th birthday if he doesn't reclassify. Of course, there have been past NBA players who started college even younger than that, so we shall see.

cvilleagle
Devlin Hall

Postby BCMcG on Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:54 pm

This thread just got pedo-riffic.
BCMcG
McGuinn Hall

Return to Conte Forum