The Don at the whiteboard

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

The Don at the whiteboard

Postby screagle on Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:02 pm

the first words out of his mouth... "what we like to do is create great spacing, like everybody does on offense".

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=5708082

screagle
Carney Hall

Re: The Don at the whiteboard

Postby Brablc on Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:26 pm

Not bad...looking forward to seeing the current personnel in this system.
Brablc
McGuinn Hall

Postby BCEagles25 on Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:58 pm

Looks good. Hopefully an improved Southern can do this smoothly.
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:03 pm

When the Don said "obviously this guy [the 5] needs to be skilled" my first thought was, that rules out Southern - no wonder he wants Trap at the 5. Then 5 seconds later Hubert mentioned Southern at the 5 and the Don did not verify.

P.S. There are benefits to being located in close proximity to the WW leader.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:52 am

screagle {l Wrote}:the first words out of his mouth... "what we like to do is create great spacing, like everybody does on offense".

Floor spacing on offense? I could never see the benefits of that. :bag
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby bignick33 on Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:09 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
screagle {l Wrote}:the first words out of his mouth... "what we like to do is create great spacing, like everybody does on offense".

Your hatred for Skinner is nothing short of OJ-ish. Our offense was very good for most of his tenure. If anything, the issue is that we never really embrace lock-down defense. But don't get facts get in the way of throwing a BC guy under the bus months after his departure.
I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby shockdoct on Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:20 am

bignick33 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

Your hatred for Skinner is nothing short of OJ-ish. Our offense was very good for most of his tenure. If anything, the issue is that we never really embrace lock-down defense. But don't get facts get in the way of throwing a BC guy under the bus months after his departure.

Skinner's offense worked wonderfully with players that possessed the right skill set (Hardworking, self-motivated, and good basketball IQ). Unfortunately, he lately recruited players who did not possess those skills (or the people who did identify those players left).
shockdoct
Cushing Hall

Postby bignick33 on Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:26 am

shockdoct {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

Skinner's offense worked wonderfully with players that possessed the right skill set (Hardworking, self-motivated, and good basketball IQ). Unfortunately, he lately recruited players who did not possess those skills (or the people who did identify those players left).

I don't disagree with any of this. I was more referring to EEspstein's blind hatred.
I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby Dirtywater75 on Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:59 am

Skinner's offense worked wonderfully with players that possessed the right skill set (Hardworking, self-motivated, and good basketball IQ). Unfortunately, he lately recruited players who did not possess those skills (or the people who did identify those players left).[/quote]

The key was when he lost Coen and Cooley who brought him decent talent for that offense. When Don brought in Jones - that was a good sign. I have a gut optimistic feeling based on nothing that Donahue is going to develop into a significant coaching talent. Since he was chosen by Flip - I know that would appear highly unlikely. But even dwarfs get lucky sometime.
Dirtywater75
Carney Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:31 pm

Yea when you have Marshall, Lou, Dudley, Smith and :seanwilliams the offense worked fine. When you don't have 5 guys who all played professionally in either the NBA or Europe, it doesn't work so well. You could have plugged that group into any offense and they would have been fine so credit to Skinner for recruiting those guys. Although true, his offense once that crew left was freaking terrible...and I'm blame the system, not necessarily the players although the recruiting certainly hasn't helped.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:39 pm

No one could be worse than Al Skincrane.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby BCEagles25 on Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:36 pm

Josh Tuggern is going to take this team by strom!!1!
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Return to Conte Forum