Trap Calls out BC Fans (But Very True)

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Trap Calls out BC Fans (But Very True)

Postby pick6pedro on Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:51 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:I had plenty of interaction with Uka, Troy, X, Duds, KWalls, Nate D, Nick Dunn, Beerbohm, Harley, Watson, DeMong and Ekweozar - all positive (OK maybe not with Beerbohm - I wasn't a big fan of him personally due to some shenanigans on the intramural football field). But none of that had anything to do with me being in the front row of every game. I would have been there even if they had given me swirly birds between classes and stolen my eagle card to buy rock.

I think it would help attract a fan that wouldn't be there for every game.

So should they be having tea parties? Maybe stand around the Dustbowl in their lettermen jacket? Have real nerds do their homework?

All joking aside, I'm fairly certain we're talking an improvement in attendance in the teens through a "better" level of interaction. What about the people they'd scare off if they are douchebags or just having a bad day and don't feel like hearing about a missed dunk or a loss to Maine/Harvard?
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby claver2010 on Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:10 pm

I think not rejecting every single invitation to pep rallies would be a start.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby ryrob on Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:21 pm

Al Skinner was a staple at the Plex, so I guess that counts as interacting on campus. BIggest dickbag I've ever played with/against. :dildodog
ryrob
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:24 pm

ryrob {l Wrote}:Al Skinner was a staple at the Plex, so I guess that counts as interacting on campus. BIggest dickbag I've ever played with/against. :dildodog

Only because you haven't played hoop with me.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Eagles97 on Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:29 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:I think not rejecting every single invitation to pep rallies would be a start.

Do you really think kids that won't go to the games are really going to get excited about pep rallys?

Here is what needs to happen...

Have a good team that plays exciting basketballl. That is all.

Actually, an on campus bar giving away free tickets would also help.
Eagles97
Carney Hall

Postby bringbackbick on Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:25 pm

just a quick thought, but is it possible that the type of student that now goes to BC, isnt as interested in athletics comparatively speaking as the type of student that went there 10-20-30 years ago. I graduated in the mid 90's and it seemed a vast majority of the students were like me, in that sports was at some level important. It was easier for me, because I came from a BC family. but it seemed that most of the students had an interest in the sports teams. Now it seems to me that when I am at a BC event on campus that there is a large percentage of the students who are more "Academic", who can look right at and can tell they dont know a football from a basketball. I know this, if I applied to BC right now, with my high school application, I would not even get on the waiting list. Kudos to the school for bringing in better students, but has it come at the expense of your average sports fan? No problem with this,just wondering.

Additionally, the worst crime is the attendance at hockey games. BC has a long and storied hockey tradition, and has been the dominant program in the country for the last ten years. Boston is a huge hockey city, and they still cant fill the building.
bringbackbick
n00b

Postby ryrob on Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:48 pm

bringbackbick {l Wrote}:just a quick thought, but is it possible that the type of student that now goes to BC, isnt as interested in athletics comparatively speaking as the type of student that went there 10-20-30 years ago. I graduated in the mid 90's and it seemed a vast majority of the students were like me, in that sports was at some level important. It was easier for me, because I came from a BC family. but it seemed that most of the students had an interest in the sports teams. Now it seems to me that when I am at a BC event on campus that there is a large percentage of the students who are more "Academic", who can look right at and can tell they dont know a football from a basketball. I know this, if I applied to BC right now, with my high school application, I would not even get on the waiting list. Kudos to the school for bringing in better students, but has it come at the expense of your average sports fan? No problem with this,just wondering.

Additionally, the worst crime is the attendance at hockey games. BC has a long and storied hockey tradition, and has been the dominant program in the country for the last ten years. Boston is a huge hockey city, and they still cant fill the building.

This argument has been brought up many times. I don't buy it. No one is missing football games to study (maybe basketball, but I don't personally know and I don't think 2 hours is killing anyone). The problem, for football at least, is/was that kids would rather drink all day than be in their seats for a 12 or 1PM game. Thank arcane tailgating policies and bad game times for that.

Basketball is suffering because it was torture watching them play. Literal torture. Back when Dudley was here only 4 years ago, tickets were impossible to get. Let's face it: those teams were much better and INFINITELY more likeable. I find little to like about Biko Paris and Josh Southern's play and general demeanor.
ryrob
Merkert Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:51 am

My roommates dabbled into that a little. I'm pretty sure they approved. I meanwhile looked at them disapprovingly while telling them that they were giving themselves cancer.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby Shredder on Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:31 am

I don't think it's a question of interaction but likeability. Craig, Dudley, Hinnant, Marshall, Bell, Watson and the players of the early to mid 2000s teams were tough, animated and very good players. Rice, while not the leader or face of the program as Craig and Dudley, was fun to watch on the court. While the most recent players appear to be pretty good guys, with the exception of Reggie, none have that edge that makes him a fan favorite.
Shredder
McGuinn Hall

Postby Dirtywater on Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:21 pm

ryrob {l Wrote}:
bringbackbick {l Wrote}:Basketball is suffering because it was torture watching them play. Literal torture. Back when Dudley was here only 4 years ago, tickets were impossible to get. Let's face it: those teams were much better and INFINITELY more likeable. I find little to like about Biko Paris and Josh Southern's play and general demeanor.

Agreed - playing winning and exciting ball will make a huge difference. The last two years have been putrid. And don't forget that while the Dudley/Smith team was very very good - they were not even elite. If we are fortunate enough to ever recruit some teams with the depth and tournament success routinely enjoyed by the likes of say a Kansas, NC or Michigan State, Conte will be routinely packed.

If Donahue can convert Southern from a big Twinkle Toes into a decent rebounder/defender I'll be amazed. Biko was a huge disappointment last year. Hope the new offense will transform his game.
Dirtywater
McGuinn Hall

Previous

Return to Conte Forum