We Talkin Bout Practice

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

We Talkin Bout Practice

Postby BCMcG on Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:56 am

Any scoop on how things are going at Conte so far?
BCMcG
McGuinn Hall

Re: We Talkin Bout Practice

Postby BCEagles25 on Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:41 pm

i hear they're running and shooting and everything.
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby BCMcG on Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:25 pm

That's what I heard but I didn't want to throw out any unsubstantiated rumors without confirmation first. Apparently, they've got basketballs, sneakers, and real uniforms, too.

It's so so refreshing. Under Al, I don't think they even held practices.
BCMcG
McGuinn Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:09 pm

BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:i hear they're running and shooting and everything.

Have they started dribbling yet?
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby gamer5252 on Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:29 pm

Yes, Al, would play pickup with the team managers and then coen or duquette would run practice.....i wonder why it has gone down hill in the last few years....someone needs to explain to me how al could even get a guard to come to bc when you are always catching the ball with your back to the basket at the elbow....skinner actually gives the flex a bad name...Maryland runs it from the wings and it is an offense with great spacing and plenty of room to penetrate for a guard...for those who dont know...when the ball goes to the wing or guard/tandom pass...there is a weak side backscreen, and then a downscreen, keeping the proper spacing
gamer5252
n00b

Postby BCEagles25 on Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:47 pm

BCMcG {l Wrote}:Apparently, they've got basketballs, sneakers, and real uniforms, too.

Link?
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:43 pm

gamer5252 {l Wrote}:Yes, Al, would play pickup with the team managers and then coen or duquette would run practice.....i wonder why it has gone down hill in the last few years....someone needs to explain to me how al could even get a guard to come to bc when you are always catching the ball with your back to the basket at the elbow....skinner actually gives the flex a bad name...Maryland runs it from the wings and it is an offense with great spacing and plenty of room to penetrate for a guard...for those who dont know...when the ball goes to the wing or guard/tandom pass...there is a weak side backscreen, and then a downscreen, keeping the proper spacing

Gamer got early game.

I was one of the first to make a basket in the Rec Plex the day it was opened. It was hot. small, crowded, tennis balls flying everywhere and a mess.

It was obsolete 4 minutes in when there was problems with tennis and hoops and track runners.

I wonder if we can get Al Skinner a plaque for his 20,000th career Rec Plex point scored?
FALL 2011 WILL BE THE BEST EVER FOR BC SPORTS AT THE HEIGHTS!

Rettigun leading our Football team to 14-0 and a Title!

The Hoops Freshman starting a new Legacy!
The Icemen returneth for another shot at Title 5!

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby ryrob on Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:34 pm

BCEagle74 {l Wrote}:
gamer5252 {l Wrote}:Yes, Al, would play pickup with the team managers and then coen or duquette would run practice.....i wonder why it has gone down hill in the last few years....someone needs to explain to me how al could even get a guard to come to bc when you are always catching the ball with your back to the basket at the elbow....skinner actually gives the flex a bad name...Maryland runs it from the wings and it is an offense with great spacing and plenty of room to penetrate for a guard...for those who dont know...when the ball goes to the wing or guard/tandom pass...there is a weak side backscreen, and then a downscreen, keeping the proper spacing

Gamer got early game.

I was one of the first to make a basket in the Rec Plex the day it was opened. It was hot. small, crowded, tennis balls flying everywhere and a mess.

It was obsolete 4 minutes in when there was problems with tennis and hoops and track runners.

I wonder if we can get Al Skinner a plaque for his 20,000th career Rec Plex point scored?

Al's also a dick in pick-up games, or at least he was. Two of my roommates caught elbows to the mouth from him. One time, after a turnover, our team was running downcourt for an uncontested layup. Al wrapped up someone on our team 20 feet away from the ball handler and called an intentional foul to prevent the layup. Typical Al.
ryrob
Merkert Hall

Postby BC923 on Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:58 am

ryrob {l Wrote}:
BCEagle74 {l Wrote}:

Gamer got early game.

Al's also a dick in pick-up games, or at least he was. Two of my roommates caught elbows to the mouth from him. One time, after a turnover, our team was running downcourt for an uncontested layup. Al wrapped up someone on our team 20 feet away from the ball handler and called an intentional foul to prevent the layup. Typical Al.

this means that he actually drew up plays to some extent in pickup. Where was this when he was on the sideline?
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby claver2010 on Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:51 am

I hear they are actually happening
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:55 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:I hear they are actually happening

Is attendance required or optional?
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:43 am

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:I hear they are actually happening

Is attendance required or optional?

No word yet, but I have heard there is activity in the powers gym.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:01 am

Well at least now we can distinguish between the coaches :shrug
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby NJM89 on Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:08 pm

I dont know what to think of this...

NJM89
Campion Hall

Postby FirstDownSyndrome on Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:22 pm

NJM89 {l Wrote}:I dont know what to think of this...

its all very clever and entertaining and relevant just like the rest of vinny's videos!!!!!!

back to real life... i was going to go to ice jam but now maybe wont. i hope its nothing like this.
“Every chance I get to walk in snow, I take it. Everyone here makes fun of me for it because I love to jump in the snow.” - Chase Rettig
FirstDownSyndrome
Carney Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:46 pm

How lucky can you get to be a Division I BC Hockey or Hoops scholarship player at the greatest University in the world with all those new amenities and stuff..

Congratulations for working so hard to get in and get a free bunny!

GO EAGLES!

Some (all) those girls could kick my ass....

McHugh Forum and Roberts Center were awful hot dumps along with the Rec Plex.

Re-incarnate me now..hell I'll take a third team point guard bench warmer slot just be back.
FALL 2011 WILL BE THE BEST EVER FOR BC SPORTS AT THE HEIGHTS!

Rettigun leading our Football team to 14-0 and a Title!

The Hoops Freshman starting a new Legacy!
The Icemen returneth for another shot at Title 5!

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:56 pm

I thought the video was funny. Just sayin'. Lighthearted, and goofy.

And certainly and improvement over the pregame football abomination.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:22 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:I thought the video was funny. Just sayin'. Lighthearted, and goofy.

Southern looks like he dropped about 25 lbs FWIW.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby BC923 on Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:35 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:I thought the video was funny. Just sayin'. Lighthearted, and goofy.

was the guy on the right of him Moton? couldn't recognize him.
Last edited by BC923 on Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:37 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

Saw him a couple of weeks ago. It looks like even more than that.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Cadillac90 on Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:56 pm

I am going to chalk this up to college kids being college kids and forget I ever witnessed that.
Cadillac90
Cushing Hall

Postby BCEagles25 on Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:08 pm

I saw Josh Southern at the South Shore Plaza over the summer. He seemed too skinny to be him, so I wasn't sure though.
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby RedBaron67 on Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:26 am

However much weight Southern has lost, if it enables him to move faster than a glacier this season, I'll be thrilled.
RedBaron67
Campion Hall

Postby BCMcG on Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:06 pm

The Don has some thoughts about practice.

Steve Donahue {l Wrote}:On the first week:
"I'm very pleased with their enthusiasm and their energy level, and their ability to stay focused for three hours of these long practices as we instill a whole new system. Those are real positives.

"I've been very impressed with their ability physically to practice that long. In all honesty, we don't have a lot of guys. I think the level of energy stays consistent throughout the whole practice."

On the players adapting to the new system:
"I think we see some really good days and then we see, unfortunately, some really bad days, but that can almost be expected. They grasp things and then we add new things and maybe there's slippage with everything.

"But, after seven practices, I've been very pleased with their ability to adapt to what we're doing, and trying to do it. The exciting part for me is that when they do execute what we're trying to do, it's very good. The results are great. They're a talented group in that sense, that probably what we're not used to seeing when we run our stuff, is that we can be very effective in this offense when we decide to do what we are intending to do."

Thoughts on Saturday's Maroon/Gold scrimmage:
"Similar to practices, there are moments we go stretches where we play very, very well on both sides of the ball. We persevere through some bad possessions, we communicate well, we execute well and then there are other moments where it goes out the window. It's not very good. It's not that I don't expect that. I'm almost like you want that to happen. It's a teaching tool, so we can get better.

"The things I look for - unselfish play, communication, energy. There were all the things that are going to be the main components of our team. They were evident in the scrimmage for the most part."

General Thoughts:
"All the guys are trying on defense. I think that's where our growth has to really happen. We have to fight through and play for 35 seconds each possession. Right now we probably play 20 or 25 seconds and there's a breakdown. That's our focus on defense, playing 35 seconds. I think they're trying, but we're not there yet."

On Biko Paris and Reggie Jackson:
"Reggie and Biko are really playing well. They pick things up the easiest. They're making others better. They're really pushing the basketball, making quick decisions, getting everyone involved, playing terrific defense and communicating. And they're shooting the ball. They're just playing well. I can't ask for more in terms of these two grasping what we're trying to do."

On Joe Trapani:
"Joe has done a terrific job in finding ways to score in this offense. He hasn't shot the ball particularly well. I'm sure he knows he can shoot better, but he plays so darn hard. He gets extra possessions for you. He plays good defense and he competes on every possession - all the things I anticipated him doing."

On Corey Raji:
"Corey has gotten better each and every day as he's rounding into shape. I think he's picking it up. He's the one guy - since he missed a lot in the preseason with his hip - that really made strides over the last 3-4 practices in terms of finding ways that he can be good in this offense."

On Cortney Dunn:
"Cortney has done a good job picking up what we're trying to do. I think he has his moments where he plays very well and other moments where he tries to figure out what we're doing. For the most part, he's done a terrific job in terms of effort and communication, and playing hard."

On Dallas Elmore:
"Dallas has played well. He's obviously going to play a lot of minutes this year. I think, for him, just figuring out where he fits in offensively. But he's shot and ball very well. He's slowed himself down. He's playing with some poise. I think he's a hard guard because he plays so physical, yet he can handle the ball. Defensively, I think he can be a very good defender. He's very good off the ball. I think guarding his man and being a lock-down guy at times is something we need him to do. I think that's where we talked about playing 35 seconds. I think Dallas, if he does that for us, will be very good."

On freshmen Gabriel Moton and Danny Rubin:
"The young guys have done as well or better than can be expected at this point, one week into college practices.

"Danny has a very good basketball IQ. He's shot the ball very well. I think he's someone who can be used as a weapon to stretch the defense. He's played intelligently. He's played hard. He's obviously lost at times, like most freshmen, but he's done a good job.

"Gabe probably has a little more to figure out because he handles the ball so much more. He's really got to run the show. We see really good days from Gabe and then, unfortunately, he'll have a clunker just because he's growing into what he's doing.

"I'm pleased with both of them in terms of effort, enthusiasm and their willingness to learn."
BCMcG
McGuinn Hall

Postby BC98to04 on Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:26 pm

See that Southern is not mentioned in the artice, sounded like he was having surgery, any word on when/if he's coming back. Considering Raji's history of injury problems, we're mighty thin without another loss.
BC98to04
n00b

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:47 pm

I never thought I'd say this, but we need Josh Southern healthy and in shape this season to be successful. Courtney Dunn can't play 40 minutes a night unless he gets 15 fouls to give or something.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby EagleDave on Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:31 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:I never thought I'd say this, but we need Josh Southern healthy and in shape this season to be successful. Courtney Dunn can't play 40 minutes a night unless he gets 15 fouls to give or something.

For the record, Dunn, like Southern looks to have lost a ton of weight and gotten himself into better shape. He certainly isn't going to be an offensive juggernaut, but he should be a little less prone to fouling out in 6 minutes...
Is this the 5 o'clock free crack giveaway?
EagleDave
Merkert Hall

Postby NJM89 on Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:45 pm

EagleDave {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:I never thought I'd say this, but we need Josh Southern healthy and in shape this season to be successful. Courtney Dunn can't play 40 minutes a night unless he gets 15 fouls to give or something.

For the record, Dunn, like Southern looks to have lost a ton of weight and gotten himself into better shape. He certainly isn't going to be an offensive juggernaut, but he should be a little less prone to fouling out in 6 minutes...

I always considered Dunn to be a twig? I dont know guess i never really paid attention.
NJM89
Campion Hall

Postby EagleNYC on Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:07 am

If we have a bad night with fouls, we going to be playing with 4 men. Then again, given the Don's "my way or the highway" approach, I could see him employ the "my team is on the floor" routine.
EagleNYC
Cushing Hall

Postby BCMurt09 on Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:07 pm

Just from the evergy the Don brought to Ice Jam the other night I'm very excited to see him this season. Obviously a breath of fresh air, but he also seems to have a winners mentality.
"...and Lane Stadium goes silent..."

"On a red bandanna night, it's going to be a red letter day"

"Drive by Girardi and a save. Rebound...SCORE!"

"Stroud in trouble and Stroud is sacked again! Oh-jah-BO!"
BCMurt09
Merkert Hall

Next

Return to Conte Forum