The Real Key to Next Year

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

The Real Key to Next Year

Postby Chilltown on Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:14 am

While the importance of Biko to next year's team has been discussed ad nauseam, I believe the real key will be Evan Ravenel. Southern has developed into the 4 star recruit (yes, Skinner does get 4 star recruits) that he was rated, and his offensive game has improved dramatically. However, he's still prone to frustrating foul troubles. The key will be the play of Ravenel; if he can be an effective 4/5 playing 25 minutes a game off the bench, he can relieve much of the pressure on Southern and allow Trapani to play more of his natural position at the 3 against bigger teams.

Why am I optimistic about Ravenel? On his blog, Andy Katz (insider so no links, sorry) has twice dropped little hints this offseason that the BC coaching staff is impressed with Ravenel. This happened last year with Mr. October, 2 years ago with Sanders, and even 5 years ago with Dudley (Katz was the first to call him a "diamond in the rough." Point is, when Skinner's staff feels confident enough to drop a hint to Katz to publish, the kid is good. If Ravenel can be an effective number 2 big man, the sky is the limit for this team.
Chilltown
n00b

Re: The Real Key to Next Year

Postby Eagledom on Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:22 am

Chilltown {l Wrote}:While the importance of Biko to next year's team has been discussed ad nauseam, I believe the real key will be Evan Ravenel. Southern has developed into the 4 star recruit (yes, Skinner does get 4 star recruits) that he was rated, and his offensive game has improved dramatically. However, he's still prone to frustrating foul troubles. The key will be the play of Ravenel; if he can be an effective 4/5 playing 25 minutes a game off the bench, he can relieve much of the pressure on Southern and allow Trapani to play more of his natural position at the 3 against bigger teams.

Why am I optimistic about Ravenel? On his blog, Andy Katz (insider so no links, sorry) has twice dropped little hints this offseason that the BC coaching staff is impressed with Ravenel. This happened last year with Mr. October, 2 years ago with Sanders, and even 5 years ago with Dudley (Katz was the first to call him a "diamond in the rough." Point is, when Skinner's staff feels confident enough to drop a hint to Katz to publish, the kid is good. If Ravenel can be an effective number 2 big man, the sky is the limit for this team.

Agree with almost everything, but what have you seen thus far from Souhern that makes you say he has "developed into the 4 star recruit "? Hopefully, we see it this year, but it hasn't happened yet.
Eagledom
Merkert Hall

Postby wrlent2012 on Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:06 pm

i agree, we have not seen much at all from southern. ive just seen a somewhat uncordinated man child with huge potential if he has passion in his game (see reggie jackson)
wrlent2012
n00b

Postby Chilltown on Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:12 pm

Obviously Southern hasn't developed in leaps and bounds, but what I saw from him last year (especially during ACC play) was that he was finally integrated into the flex. He finally got the offense and started not only getting his looks through the process of the flex but also providing for others. His interior passing improved quite a bit (although his catching inside left something to be desired). If he continues to progress (and I see no reason he shouldn't. By all accounts he is a very hard worker) I think its fair to say he will have lived up to his hype.
Chilltown
n00b

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:09 pm

Chilltown {l Wrote}:Obviously Southern hasn't developed in leaps and bounds, but what I saw from him last year (especially during ACC play) was that he was finally integrated into the flex. He finally got the offense and started not only getting his looks through the process of the flex but also providing for others. His interior passing improved quite a bit (although his catching inside left something to be desired). If he continues to progress (and I see no reason he shouldn't. By all accounts he is a very hard worker) I think its fair to say he will have lived up to his hype.

I agree with this. People always forget to figure in the natural progression of most athletes. That is why I think this year's team has the chance to be one of the best BC teams ever.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Heights on Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:14 am

Good point, not sure if he is the key, but what happened to Ravenel last year was odd. Al loved him early in the season getting him in the rotation, then buried him the rest of the year. Was disappointed when he got benched last year, looked like he was going to be a force.

He will be the most physically imposing forward in the ACC, he's enormous and it ain't fat. Looking forward to see him get alot of minutes. He is raw and can foul out in minutes, but immovable and coordinated. Should be a defensive and rebounding force. He should get some of Southern's minutes I hope.
"We have everyone on our 2010 schedule but the New England Patriots"

Frank Spaziani
Heights
n00b

Postby b0mberMan on Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:43 pm

Heights {l Wrote}:Good point, not sure if he is the key, but what happened to Ravenel last year was odd. Al loved him early in the season getting him in the rotation, then buried him the rest of the year. Was disappointed when he got benched last year, looked like he was going to be a force.

He will be the most physically imposing forward in the ACC, he's enormous and it ain't fat. Looking forward to see him get alot of minutes. He is raw and can foul out in minutes, but immovable and coordinated. Should be a defensive and rebounding force. He should get some of Southern's minutes I hope.

I think the rumor going around was grades. But that was never confirmed or not. He does need to get some minutes up front. We can't play Roche at the 4, he just gets manhandled there.
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby commavegarage on Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:05 pm

b0mberMan {l Wrote}:I think the rumor going around was grades. But that was never confirmed or not. He does need to get some minutes up front. We can't play Roche at the 4, he just gets manhandled there.

It was.
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby angrychicken on Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:24 pm

bump
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby angrychicken on Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:31 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:re-fire al for grading too hard

A re-fire within a refired post. Interesting.
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:32 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:re-fire al for grading too hard
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Return to Conte Forum