Once Brothers

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Once Brothers

Postby b0mberMan on Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:27 pm

I just watched this documentary on ESPN. Not bad. Chock full of great humor such as footage of Russia/Yugoslavia in the 88 Olympics. Lots of unkempt, dirty Eastern Europeans with mustaches that even hipsters wont grow now for irony's sake. The whole thing is narrated by Vlade Divac in English, which is pleasantly absurd. Bonda fide hands down winner of the whole thing was Jerry West at his press conference after drafting Divac:

West: "I got to meet Vlade and his wife and I tell you, they are just wonderful, really wonderful people. (turns to Vlade) DId you understand what I just said? (silence). Of course not. I said you're terrible."

Also, I will never understand the clannishness of the Eastern Europeans. What is the former Yugoslav republic? The size of South Carolina, tops, right?
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Re: Once Brothers

Postby bignick33 on Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:33 pm

I thought it was one of the best 30 for 30 documentaries yet. The highlights of the Yugoslav team in the late 80s were tremendous. That was some beautiful basketball being played. Also, Vlade still cracks me up for some reason after all these years.

Edit: I just looked it up. Yugoslavia was roughly 99,000 square miles. That would make it the ninth biggest state in the US, slightly larger than Oregon but smaller than Colorado. It's population as of 1989 was roughly 24,000,000, which would make it the third most populous state in the US.
Last edited by bignick33 on Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby BCEagles25 on Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:37 pm

Saw this, great documentary. First of the 30 for 30 I've seen and I'm impressed. I never really thought much of the 30 for 30, but the commercials were on all the time.

Divac is hilarious.
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:43 pm

BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:Saw this, great documentary. First of the 30 for 30 I've seen and I'm impressed. I never really thought much of the 30 for 30, but the commercials were on all the time.

On Demand The U. The Ricky Williams one was pretty interesting, too. And I liked the Gretzky one.
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby ryrob on Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:12 pm

You need to watch The U. Also recommended is the one on Len Bias.
ryrob
Merkert Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:20 pm

I've probably seen about half of them and The Two Escobars was my favorite and it wasn't even close. Just a completely fascinating story told brilliantly. I think it was up for an award at some big time film festival.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:10 am

flyingelvii {l Wrote}:I've probably seen about half of them and The Two Escobars was my favorite and it wasn't even close. Just a completely fascinating story told brilliantly. I think it was up for an award at some big time film festival.

Two Escobars = very good

Len Bias = awesome

The U = Spectacular. Just awesome, start to finish. Put over the top on anything ever on TV by the drunken Bernie Kosar interviews.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby BC923 on Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:00 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
flyingelvii {l Wrote}:I've probably seen about half of them and The Two Escobars was my favorite and it wasn't even close. Just a completely fascinating story told brilliantly. I think it was up for an award at some big time film festival.

Two Escobars = very good

Len Bias = awesome

The U = Spectacular. Just awesome, start to finish. Put over the top on anything ever on TV by the drunken Bernie Kosar interviews.

The U was brilliant, it was so funny, any time drunk bernie kosar is on tv i'll watch.
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby 2001Eagle on Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:43 pm

BC923 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

Two Escobars = very good

Len Bias = awesome

The U was brilliant, it was so funny, any time drunk bernie kosar is on tv i'll watch.

The U was awsome.

Also liked the one on the UFL. Great stuff when Jim Kelly and Steve Young are talking about making plays in a 65-60 shoot out. Plus you got film of Trump being a jag-off and walking out of an interview for the film.
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby EagleNYC on Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:38 pm

"Vlade Divac? Chutnik!"
EagleNYC
Cushing Hall

Return to Conte Forum