Good Preview

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Good Preview

Postby joemack13 on Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:13 pm

Which coaching staff does the dunn quote refer to

edit: nevermind i thought it was in reference to him putting on muscle mass this year, but after re-reading i guess it's about how fat he got last year
joemack13
Campion Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:15 pm

I'm still curious, if Raji is at the 4, Trapani at the 5, Dunn and Southern are backups at 4/5, Paris runs point, Reggie plays 2, and Elmore and the newcomers backup the guards, who the fuck is playing the 3? The article doesn't mention the position, and no one has explained on here.

This team will be Paris, Jackson, Raji, Trapani and Southern starting, with Dunn entering for post presence and Elmore at the 3 with Raji and Trapani sliding low against the rare smallish opponent.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby RedBaron67 on Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:02 pm

Eagledom {l Wrote}:
RedBaron67 {l Wrote}:
Eagledom {l Wrote}:
b0mberMan {l Wrote}:
Eagledom {l Wrote}:
b0mberMan {l Wrote}:
ryrob {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:If Donahue things Raji and Trapani can start at the 4 and 5 in the ACC all the more power to him but we're going to get killed on the boards.

I think you're right on Trapani, but Raji is one of the best rebounders in the ACC. Mainly on the offensive boards but he has the athleticism to get them against anybody.

When we went small, we lost the rebounding battle pretty hard last year. Raji is helped by being matched up against a 3 for rebounds, and Trap the same at 4.Southern, for all he couldn't do, at least took the other team's center away from those two on the boards.

Interested to see what happens this year. Not expecting much, but not expecting the basement, either.

its not like southern could rebound anyway.

So you completely missed my point, got it.

i was responding to epstein's point

I think you're forgetting that when Southern was in high school, rebounding was considered the strongest part of his game. If he's really overhauled his quickness and conditioning, he might become a respectable rebounder this season. (I realize, of course, that some will react to this suggestion by asking me whether I also expect Donahue to change water into wine.)

He was also a "4 star" coming out of high school. I am judging by what I have seen on the court at BC...and he has been a terrible rebounder.

That's true, but in fact Southern has been a bust across the board at BC -- scoring, rebounding, and defense (although his size makes the lack of rebounding especially glaring). My thought was that if he's going to contribute anywhere this season, rebounding is logically the first probability. I must admit, however, that Donahue appears to view him as a mid-range face-up shooter, not an inside banger; it may be that Trapani will be the primary inside player on offense even when Southern is in the game, with Southern taking the middle on defense (since one can hardly imagine him trying to guard a wing player).
RedBaron67
Campion Hall

Postby BCMcG on Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:08 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:I'm still curious, if Raji is at the 4, Trapani at the 5, Dunn and Southern are backups at 4/5, Paris runs point, Reggie plays 2, and Elmore and the newcomers backup the guards, who the fuck is playing the 3? The article doesn't mention the position, and no one has explained on here.

This team will be Paris, Jackson, Raji, Trapani and Southern starting, with Dunn entering for post presence and Elmore at the 3 with Raji and Trapani sliding low against the rare smallish opponent.

I was actually hoping that Trapani would be able to move over to the 3, which is more his natural position (offensively). Unfortunately, we don't have the bodies to do that.

This is a reminder of how thin this team is. It's essentially a 7-player team, assuming Moton and Rubin aren't ready to compete in the ACC (and I don't think anyone is expecting them to be able to). It makes the Noreen loss that much more irritating. He'd be playing major minutes this year.
BCMcG
McGuinn Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:18 pm

BCMcG {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:I'm still curious, if Raji is at the 4, Trapani at the 5, Dunn and Southern are backups at 4/5, Paris runs point, Reggie plays 2, and Elmore and the newcomers backup the guards, who the fuck is playing the 3? The article doesn't mention the position, and no one has explained on here.

I was actually hoping that Trapani would be able to move over to the 3, which is more his natural position (offensively). Unfortunately, we don't have the bodies to do that.

This is a reminder of how thin this team is. It's essentially a 7-player team, assuming Moton and Rubin aren't ready to compete in the ACC (and I don't think anyone is expecting them to be able to). It makes the Noreen loss that much more irritating. He'd be playing major minutes this year.

We have the bodies to play Trapani at the 3. Trapani at the 5 leaves both Dunn and Southern on the bench. Trapani moves to 3, Southern starts, Dunn backs up Raji and Southern.

What we don't have is the bodies to play small, with Elmore at the 3. There would only be freshman backup guards. Paris at 1, Reggie at 2, Reggie slides to 1 when Elmore enters at 2, then Elmore slides to 3 when Paris reenters to give Trapani/Raji a break.

Also, the distinction between 2,3 and 4 won't matter much in this system on offense. It is defense where it matters.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Shredder on Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:19 pm

From what I gathered, Donahue sees Elmore as the Three but I can't think of anyone else to back him up. I suppose there's the chance of a three-guard offense but that probably won't work well with Raji and Trapani as the forwards. What we'll probably see is that type of set-up with Southern going in and Raji sliding over when the team has to go bigger.
Shredder
McGuinn Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:20 pm

Shredder {l Wrote}:

From what I gathered, Donahue sees Elmore as the Three but I can't think of anyone else to back him up. I suppose there's the chance of a three-guard offense but that probably won't work well with Raji and Trapani as the forwards. What we'll probably see is that type of set-up with Southern going in and Raji sliding over when the team has to go bigger.

Elmore at the 3 means 2 frosh lightly recruited backup guards, one of which, Donahue says in the article won't be ready to play right away.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby BCMcG on Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:30 pm

What they'd have to do is start this lineup.

PG Paris
SG Jackson
SF Elmore
PF Raji
C Trapani

Southern replaces Paris. Jackson and Elmore shift to PG and SG, respectively. Paris replaces Elmore after a few and Jackson moves back to SG, and so on. Jackson ends up playing Jared Dudley minutes, which is fine because this is his team.
BCMcG
McGuinn Hall

Previous

Return to Conte Forum