Jeff Van Gundy Sends Shots Into Pat Riley's Smug Mug!

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Jeff Van Gundy Sends Shots Into Pat Riley's Smug Mug!

Postby BCEagle74 on Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:56 am

Thank God you kids and sports fans have me here to interpret the tea leaves.

1--Pat humiliated, embarrassed and smeared his brother Stan by "firing" ---forcing him to resign after he built up the Heat in teh 2 previous years------during the year when the Heat finally had a chance to win the NBA title and they did versus Dallas.

That was a real NBA and Sports World no-no and slickster Pat emerged unscathed with the deal.

2--Jeff just made Eric Spoelstra the next Red Auerbach, so if the Heat do not gel quickly, Pat Riley will look like a snake again if he replaces Jeff late or during the season. Either way, this is one entire new team with weak guards and the 73 win marker was....to.....also

3--...........By placing a 73 win season on the Heat, and they stumble to 55-60, Van Gundy can blame GM Riley for a lack of guard depth and if Riley takes over, make him look like the Dr. in the Frankenstein lab and only he can get them to gel late and win a title and Spoelstra plays SVG Part II.

Get me a Celtics Jersey and fuck the Heat.

JVG--sly little SOB!!!
Can't fool me...or a Corleone.
Jeff Van Gundy: Heat can win 73

When Michael Jordan presents Scottie Pippen during his Hall of Fame induction this weekend, it's a safe bet the Chicago Bulls' record-setting, 72-win season of 1995-96 will find its way into the speech.

ESPN 1000, Chicago
Jeff Van Gundy joined "The Waddle & Silvy Show" to discuss whether the Heat will beat the Bulls' record of 72 wins.

More Podcasts »

According to Jeff Van Gundy's thinking, it's a good thing Pippen is being inducted this year, because Van Gundy predicts that record might fall this season.

Van Gundy, speaking Monday on "The Waddle & Silvy Show" on ESPN 1000, backed up a prediction he made to the Miami Herald that the Miami Heat can break the Bulls' record.

"I would think that everybody would think they would have a great shot at it," said Van Gundy, a former NBA head coach and current ABC/ESPN analyst. "I don't know if I said they will or they have a great chance, whatever I said, I just think if they're healthy, the discrepancy between their talent level and and the next level is so great, that I just don't see how they lose games. I think they're that good."

Van Gundy told the Herald that the Heat will break the record, and that they have a "legit shot" at the Los Angeles Lakers' 33-game win streak, which they set in the 1971-72 season.

"Erik Spoelstra is a heck of a coach, so they're going to be motivated to play well defensively, which is about coaching, and offensively they're going to be an absolute nightmare to deal with," Van Gundy said on ESPN 1000. "If LeBron James can win 66 games in the regular season with the guys he played with, who I think are better than people have given them credit for in Cleveland, then I think you add Dwyane Wade, Chris Bosh and Mike Miller, it's not a stretch to say they can win six more."

Van Gundy backed off -- slightly -- from his claim that the Lakers are the only team that could beat the Heat in a playoff series.

"I think Boston -- with the [Shaquille] O'Neal signing -- has a legitimate chance as well," he said. "But I think those are the only two teams that have a chance in a playoff series to beat them."

ESPNChicago.com Bulls blog
The latest news from Bulls reporter Nick Friedell. Blog

Van Gundy said he likes what the Bulls have done in adding Carlos Boozer, Kyle Korver, C.J. Watson, Ronnie Brewer and Keith Bogans, but he still doesn't see Chicago among the elite in the Eastern Conference.

"I think you've got Miami, and you have Boston just a notch below them," he said. "Orlando would have to be right below them, then I think Atlanta's a very good team.

"I would put those four teams clearly ahead of them right now, and I think Chicago could be fifth, sixth, seventh or eighth -- somewhere in that range."

Van Gundy believes it's become popular to pick against the Heat.

"I think people are trying to pick on Miami right now instead of opening their eyes to just how great they are," he said. "There are going to be no chemistry issues. Wade and James are unselfish players.

"That doesn't mean if they win a championship it's a great accomplishment either, because they're so much better than everybody. But to discount just how good they are, I think people are making a mistake."
FALL 2011 WILL BE THE BEST EVER FOR BC SPORTS AT THE HEIGHTS!

Rettigun leading our Football team to 14-0 and a Title!

The Hoops Freshman starting a new Legacy!
The Icemen returneth for another shot at Title 5!

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Re: Jeff Van Gundy Sends Shots Into Pat Riley's Smug Mug!

Postby cvilleagle on Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:45 am

There are going to be a number of teams in the East that will at least cause significant problems for the Heat next year. Magic, obviously - Celtics, definitely. The Bulls are going to be a handful - unlike the Heat they have a real point guard, a good big man who plays like a big man, and a genius for a coach. Even the Bucks are going to cause problems for the Heat - who's going to guard Bogut (assuming he's healthy). And that's just the East. The Lakers are better than the Heat, and there are some other West teams that will match up well. Think about Phoenix/Miami - JVG's claim is that the Heat will just outscore everyone - well, the Suns can score a ton of points, and don't have to deal with their biggest weakness when playing the Heat. (Defending a scoring big man).

No way they break either of these records.
cvilleagle
Devlin Hall

Postby branchinator on Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:41 am

The Suns without Amare aren't going to scare anyone. I think the Spurs could surprise people next year, especially if Tiago Splitter is an impact player.
branchinator
Cushing Hall

Postby EagleDave on Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:03 pm

I don't see it with the Bulls. Only 1 team in recent NBA history has won a title without a dominant scorer. The Bulls clearly lack that, as well as depth at the forward positions. They're 2nd round fodder for Celtics/Heat/Magic I think.
Is this the 5 o'clock free crack giveaway?
EagleDave
Merkert Hall

Postby eaglesmith on Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:41 pm

EagleDave {l Wrote}:I don't see it with the Bulls. Only 1 team in recent NBA history has won a title without a dominant scorer. The Bulls clearly lack that, as well as depth at the forward positions. They're 2nd round fodder for Celtics/Heat/Magic I think.

I'd agree with this, but if you've seen Derrick Rose in the Men's Select games, you'd probably think differently. He's added a reliable 3 pointer and been absolutely dominant offensively. Good luck point guards of the NBA in trying to stop him.
eaglesmith
McGuinn Hall

Postby angrychicken on Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:00 pm

I'm going to go on record that I have been a Miami Heat semi-fan for years. Fortunately, I have built up a client base to have access to tickets for any game I want. I am soaking in the hot tub of jealous crying Celtics fans' tears here.

This is just my attempt to have hoops weirdos hate me, but the above statements are true. FEEL THE HEAT
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby EagleDave on Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:19 pm

eaglesmith {l Wrote}:
EagleDave {l Wrote}:I don't see it with the Bulls. Only 1 team in recent NBA history has won a title without a dominant scorer. The Bulls clearly lack that, as well as depth at the forward positions. They're 2nd round fodder for Celtics/Heat/Magic I think.

I'd agree with this, but if you've seen Derrick Rose in the Men's Select games, you'd probably think differently. He's added a reliable 3 pointer and been absolutely dominant offensively. Good luck point guards of the NBA in trying to stop him.

I agree he's been great in practice for Team USA, but practice is practice. We'll see what happens when the NBA teams get a crack at him and whether he can make a 3 from the 23 foot line rather than the 20 foot line he's shooting from now. Not to mention that NBA Rule # 2,375 clearly states that post-1991, no NBA team can make the NBA Finals with a PG as it's best player.
EagleDave
Merkert Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:20 pm

The Heat are the Harlem Globetrotters.

Lebron should be a PF and he doesn't like to mix it up in the paint the last 2 years. The East was weak in the paint.

Bosh is unknown, but not a big dominator in the paint or as a back-up 10 minute center..and a "PF" that does do the dirty work too?

Wade is spectacular, but he needs a point guard and some rest minutes and he like to dribble too much, so with Mike Miller hanging on the wings for the 3-ball when he drives, where does Lebron hang??...the other wing???

Heat will win 57 or so, but Shaq, Perkins, a in better shape Davis, Garnett, less playoff minutes for Allen with Robinson and Ronod and Pierce...

CELTICS MAY BLOW THEM OUT IN 4.

Is it time to find my 2011 Laker Celtic Game 7 post?????

Dave Debusschere would eat Lebron alive and bounce his playboy ass onto South Beach and Bill Bradley would hound Miller and Walt Frazier would destroy Wade on defense.

Then Willis Reed stops all down low?

The HEAT are a showtime team with 2 huge holes.

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby EagleDave on Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:29 pm

BCEagle74 {l Wrote}:The Heat are the Harlem Globetrotters.

Lebron should be a PF and he doesn't like to mix it up in the paint the last 2 years. The East was weak in the paint.

Bosh is unknown, but not a big dominator in the paint or as a back-up 10 minute center..and a "PF" that does do the dirty work too?

Wade is spectacular, but he needs a point guard and some rest minutes and he like to dribble too much, so with Mike Miller hanging on the wings for the 3-ball when he drives, where does Lebron hang??...the other wing???

Heat will win 57 or so, but Shaq, Perkins, a in better shape Davis, Garnett, less playoff minutes for Allen with Robinson and Ronod and Pierce...

CELTICS MAY BLOW THEM OUT IN 4.

Is it time to find my 2011 Laker Celtic Game 7 post?????

Dave Debusschere would eat Lebron alive and bounce his playboy ass onto South Beach and Bill Bradley would hound Miller and Walt Frazier would destroy Wade on defense.

Then Willis Reed stops all down low?

The HEAT are a showtime team with 2 huge holes.

Exalt. Way too many ball dominators and not enough ball distributors. LeBron is a terrific passer but his assist totals are as hollow as AI's were. They almost never impacted a game. If the Heat think he's playing point, they're sorely mistaken. Not to mention the fact that Bosh is totally unproven in big games (never past the first round), has a very balky knee and is a face up jump shooter. This team has not a single player that can bang at the rim besides the immortal Joel Anthony. Is the 138 year old Zydrunas Ilgauskas playing 35 minutes a night for this team? Celtics will crush this team inside.
EagleDave
Merkert Hall

Postby apbc12 on Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:56 am

It doesn't really matter if they have a big man. If they're drawing ratings, they'll make the Finals.
apbc12
Higgins Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:15 am

apbc12 {l Wrote}:It doesn't really matter if they have a big man. If they're drawing ratings, they'll make the Finals.

GOLD...Game 7 in Boston...Pierce has 5 fouls in the first 4 minutes...LMAO!

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby cvilleagle on Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:43 am

EagleDave {l Wrote}:
eaglesmith {l Wrote}:

I agree he's been great in practice for Team USA, but practice is practice. We'll see what happens when the NBA teams get a crack at him and whether he can make a 3 from the 23 foot line rather than the 20 foot line he's shooting from now. Not to mention that NBA Rule # 2,375 clearly states that post-1991, no NBA team can make the NBA Finals with a PG as it's best player.

We'll see. I think Rose will be improved and Thibodeau will demonstrate his brilliance. I am not sure they are the team that wins the East, but they're a difficult team for the Heat to match up with. As for NBA Rule # 2,375, the 2001-2002 and 2002-2003 New Jersey Nets would like to have a word with you.

And whoever was dismissing the Suns, you are severely overestimating Amare Stoudemire. A lot of Amare's points came from easy dunks created by Nash's great passing, which will still be there for Lopez or whatever other big man fills his role.
cvilleagle
Devlin Hall

Postby branchinator on Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:49 am

Amare Stoudemire is a flawed player but his skills fit perfectly in Phoenix. Robin Lopez doesn't even have 1/10 of the skills or finish ability that Amare has. Channing Frye never goes in the paint. And now they have Hedu Turkoglu who is probably going to moonlight at PF as well. He certainly won't be finishing in the post like Amare. The Suns are going to shoot about 5,000 3's next year. They won't be a serious contender without Amare.
branchinator
Cushing Hall

Postby EagleDave on Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:22 am

cvilleagle {l Wrote}:
EagleDave {l Wrote}:
eaglesmith {l Wrote}:

We'll see. I think Rose will be improved and Thibodeau will demonstrate his brilliance. I am not sure they are the team that wins the East, but they're a difficult team for the Heat to match up with. As for NBA Rule # 2,375, the 2001-2002 and 2002-2003 New Jersey Nets would like to have a word with you.

And whoever was dismissing the Suns, you are severely overestimating Amare Stoudemire. A lot of Amare's points came from easy dunks created by Nash's great passing, which will still be there for Lopez or whatever other big man fills his role.

Fair enough. I could easily amend that and say that they never WIN the title. I believe Isiah Thomas was the last.
EagleDave
Merkert Hall

Postby Endless Mike on Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:59 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
angrychicken {l Wrote}:I'm going to go on record that I have been a Miami Heat semi-fan for years. Fortunately, I have built up a client base to have access to tickets for any game I want. I am soaking in the hot tub of jealous crying Celtics fans' tears here.

This is just my attempt to have hoops weirdos hate me, but the above statements are true. FEEL THE HEAT

save room in the hot tub for me. i like jumping on bandwagons when it makes other people overtly mad

Nude hottubbing is unsanitary.
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Return to Conte Forum