ACC Tournament Loss to UVA Last Year

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: ACC Tournament Loss to UVA Last Year

Postby footer20 on Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:50 pm

Harry Seaward {l Wrote}:Dennis Clifford and Eddie Odio are better than any of Skinner's recruits?

No, but BC has a legitmate shot to land Naadir Tharpe, PG that is a 96 on ESPN, Derrick Gibson, PG that is 91 on Espn, Zach Auguste, tall wing that was an 89 on ESPN last time i checked, and Shaq Thomas, SF that is 96 on ESPN. They also arent out of the running on Alex Murphy, 97 SF, Ricardo Ledo (although little shot at it), 96 SG, Tyler Harris, 96 SF, Myles Mack, 96 PG, and Kaleb Tarzcewski (i definitely spelled his name wrong) 96 center. Donahue has done a great job by putting BC in the heads of these players. He needed Odio and Clifford as definite bodies. The best player Skinner has gotten in recent years is reggie Jackson, 92 on ESPN, and Jackson has proved himself as a BC player so players with higher grades could be superstars. BC had a better shot at Ledo with Skinner running things but wouldnt have had a shot at many of these guys if he was still the coach. I love the way donahue is leading the Eagles. The best thing hes done is develop ties in new England which was something Skinner couldnt do. Im sick and tired of watching guys like Jeff Adrien, Dwight Brewington, Shabazz napier, gerard Coleman, Erik murphy, Nate Lubick, Alex Oriakhi, and a handful of others from our backyard decide to go schools like UConn, Providence (who we should be stealing olayers from), Florida, and Georgetown.
footer20
McGuinn Hall

Postby BCMcG on Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:21 pm

Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:
Eagledom {l Wrote}:
BCMcG {l Wrote}:
I do think the program will improve under Donahue, .

Then quit your fucking whining every time someone posts something positive about him.

He wasn't whining, he was pointing out the stupidity of junior's comment. BCMcG actually backed it up with some good analysis and you just ignore it. You are still teh Gimp.

I have nothing to whine about. I believe that, in the future, Steve Donahue will prove to be a great fit for BC and lead the program to greener pastures. However, that's just my opinion. There is no evidence that the program is better off right now. "It's better because it's not Al Skinner" is a lousy, tiresome argument that I'm sick of hearing. Good arguments are based on facts and data, not biased opinions.

I commend eepstein0 for coming back with a reasonable argument. I, too, am excited to see how the improved conditioning of the team will translate to how they play. Eagledom, keep working on it. Someday you may finally experience even just a glimmer of rational thought.
BCMcG
McGuinn Hall

Postby BCEagles25 on Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:27 pm

footer20 {l Wrote}:
Harry Seaward {l Wrote}:The best player Skinner has gotten in recent years is reggie Jackson, 92 on ESPN, and Jackson has proved himself as a BC player so players with higher grades could be superstars.

You're reading a tad bit too much into the ratings, bud. Reggie Jackson isn't good in spite of his 92 grade. He's just good because he's good. And Jared Dudley would have been a low 80's prospect according to ESPN. I would guess Craig Smith might be mid-80's and Tyrese a little below 90. The ratings on ESPN help, but remember, they're basically guidelines.

I'm not sure whether you're trying to say that Jackson is the best recruit Skinner got on his own (if you take the "Cooley and Coen did it all" stand), but I would have to agree as far as best player he's gotten. If you're looking into ratings, Fatass #1 and #2 had him beat though.
Last edited by BCEagles25 on Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:29 pm

footer20 {l Wrote}:
Harry Seaward {l Wrote}:Dennis Clifford and Eddie Odio are better than any of Skinner's recruits?

No, but BC has a legitmate shot to land Naadir Tharpe, PG that is a 96 on ESPN, Derrick Gibson, PG that is 91 on Espn, Zach Auguste, tall wing that was an 89 on ESPN last time i checked, and Shaq Thomas, SF that is 96 on ESPN. They also arent out of the running on Alex Murphy, 97 SF, Ricardo Ledo (although little shot at it), 96 SG, Tyler Harris, 96 SF, Myles Mack, 96 PG, and Kaleb Tarzcewski (i definitely spelled his name wrong) 96 center. Donahue has done a great job by putting BC in the heads of these players. He needed Odio and Clifford as definite bodies. The best player Skinner has gotten in recent years is reggie Jackson, 92 on ESPN, and Jackson has proved himself as a BC player so players with higher grades could be superstars. BC had a better shot at Ledo with Skinner running things but wouldnt have had a shot at many of these guys if he was still the coach. I love the way donahue is leading the Eagles. The best thing hes done is develop ties in new England which was something Skinner couldnt do. Im sick and tired of watching guys like Jeff Adrien, Dwight Brewington, Shabazz napier, gerard Coleman, Erik murphy, Nate Lubick, Alex Oriakhi, and a handful of others from our backyard decide to go schools like UConn, Providence (who we should be stealing olayers from), Florida, and Georgetown.

If wishes were horses, beggars would ride.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby BCEagles25 on Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:34 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:
Eagledom {l Wrote}:
BCMcG {l Wrote}:

Then quit your fucking whining every time someone posts something positive about him.

Well, fuck me. Debbie Downer is seeing the "positive side" to things.

it's a black and white world for oj... al's black and steve's white

The thought of a 6'10 white guy named Dennis must make OJ release.
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby NJM89 on Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:42 pm

These kids haven't even started their senior seasons yet so I don't know why your writing them off already. Actually Clifford has been doing really well this summer during AAU. I don't see these kids coming in as stars, maybe not even starters for a couple years but they could be key contributors.
NJM89
Campion Hall

Postby carolina2010 on Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:48 pm

FWIW - assistant coaches are NOT pleased with Clifford and Odio offers and have been saying as much during this July period... particularly Odio whose best offer was low mid-major. He's the type of kid that could've been taken NEXT spring, considering he's a 2011. Apparently they feel that Donahue has a tendency to 'shoot his load' prematurely...
carolina2010
Carney Hall

Postby carolina2010 on Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:14 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:i would like to take this opportunity to say that i appreciate and agree with carolina2010's commentary and thank her for providing it. contrary to popular belief, i can admit to my assholic tendancies... but it takes 6 months and a good point to get there

who knows, i may find something to agree with i[no space]b on next

tear... :oops:
carolina2010
Carney Hall

Postby footer20 on Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:20 pm

BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:
footer20 {l Wrote}:
Harry Seaward {l Wrote}:The best player Skinner has gotten in recent years is reggie Jackson, 92 on ESPN, and Jackson has proved himself as a BC player so players with higher grades could be superstars.

You're reading a tad bit too much into the ratings, bud. Reggie Jackson isn't good in spite of his 92 grade. He's just good because he's good. And Jared Dudley would have been a low 80's prospect according to ESPN. I would guess Craig Smith might be mid-80's and Tyrese a little below 90. The ratings on ESPN help, but remember, they're basically guidelines.

I'm not sure whether you're trying to say that Jackson is the best recruit Skinner got on his own (if you take the "Cooley and Coen did it all" stand), but I would have to agree as far as best player he's gotten. If you're looking into ratings, Fatass #1 and #2 had him beat though.

yes. rakim and southern were higher rated recruits. smith would have been low-mid 90s. he was rated 40th in the country as an incoming freshman
footer20
McGuinn Hall

Postby footer20 on Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:28 pm

southern and rakim were top 100 recruits but so was reggie. Craig smith was a 4 star on rivals, a 3 star on scout, and #40 in this athlon sports 2003 college basketball preview i have. Dudley might have been a 40 on espn, like a danny rubin. he committed in late august
footer20
McGuinn Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:26 pm

carolina2010 {l Wrote}:FWIW - assistant coaches are NOT pleased with Clifford and Odio offers and have been saying as much during this July period... particularly Odio whose best offer was low mid-major. He's the type of kid that could've been taken NEXT spring, considering he's a 2011. Apparently they feel that Donahue has a tendency to 'shoot his load' prematurely...

I was wondering when you were going to come back to this board....

The Clifford offer is fine because this is a thin center class and he's one of the better players in New England in the 2011 class. Look, after the long lineage of awful centers we've had at BC (Oates, Southern, Dunn, etc.) it's worth a shot. The Odio offer is a tad absurd I agree I'm not sure what Donahue was thinking with that one. He's probably figuring we don't want to have 5 walk-ons on the team next year just like this yea.r
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:27 pm

BCMcG {l Wrote}:
Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:
Eagledom {l Wrote}:
BCMcG {l Wrote}:

He wasn't whining, he was pointing out the stupidity of junior's comment. BCMcG actually backed it up with some good analysis and you just ignore it. You are still teh Gimp.

I have nothing to whine about. I believe that, in the future, Steve Donahue will prove to be a great fit for BC and lead the program to greener pastures. However, that's just my opinion. There is no evidence that the program is better off right now. "It's better because it's not Al Skinner" is a lousy, tiresome argument that I'm sick of hearing. Good arguments are based on facts and data, not biased opinions.

I commend eepstein0 for coming back with a reasonable argument. I, too, am excited to see how the improved conditioning of the team will translate to how they play. Eagledom, keep working on it. Someday you may finally experience even just a glimmer of rational thought.

Thank you btw. I seriously think a good conditioning program may do wonders to everyone on this team.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby MattTheEagle on Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:40 pm

First things first, anyone who has based Donahue’s recruiting on this Moton and Rubin are being unreasonable as these players were recruited to give us some bodies with a diminished roster who fit in Donahue’s offense. We did not want to have to rely on walk-ons for subs. Both these players are players who have a chance to become great and with Donahue’s conditioning that is certainly a possibility; however neither are coming out of high school as serious Division 1 recruits. Donahue is by no means recruiting a roster of Motons and Rubins, but considering the situation for a team that going into 2010 with 1 graduated, 2 transferring players, and all 3 commits leaving, we needed players who could at least play Division 1 ball so these were good and necessary pickups for us.

People have been quick to criticize Odio and Clifford but keep in mind that as it was before we were going into 2011 with only 2 scholarship players (four if you include Moton and Rubin) with NO size. Both these recruits gave the Eagles some size and let’s not forget that Skinner has recruited similarly ranked players in his recent tenure (Elmore and Ravanel). Clifford I would go so far as saying is a fabulous pick-up I think with his size and relative quickness he could have an immediate impact and let’s not forget he is from the area (where Skinner somehow struggled enticing recruits).
Last edited by MattTheEagle on Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
MattTheEagle
Campion Hall

Postby Eagledom on Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:19 pm

MattTheEagle {l Wrote}:First things first, anyone who has based Donahue’s recruiting on this Moton and Rubin are being unreasonable as these players were recruited to give us some bodies with a diminished roster who fit in Donahue’s offense. We did not want to have to rely on walk-ons for subs. Both these players are players who have a chance to become great and with Donahue’s conditioning that is certainly a possibility; however neither are not coming out of high school as serious Division 1 recruits. Donahue is by no means recruiting a roster of Motons and Rubins, but considering the situation for a team that going into 2010 with 1 graduated, 2 transferring players, and all 3 commits leaving, we needed players who could at least play Division 1 ball so these were good and necessary pickups for us.

People have been quick to criticize Odio and Clifford but keep in mind that as it was before we were going into 2011 with only 2 scholarship players (four if you include Moton and Rubin) with NO size. Both these recruits gave the Eagles some size and let’s not forget that Skinner has recruited similarly ranked players in his recent tenure (Elmore and Ravanel). Clifford I would go so far as saying is a fabulous pick-up I think with his size and relative quickness he could have an immediate impact and let’s not forget he is from the area (where Skinner somehow struggled enticing recruits).

Amen. Its truly amazing that people are already criticizing Donahue's recruits, when (A) he was left with a steaming pile of shit, (B) he has a shitload of openings for 2011, (C) he has only been on the job for a few months and 2010 recruiting was basically already screwed, and (D) he is clearly trying to revive ties with New England coaches and actually promote the BC name.
Eagledom
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:56 pm

People aren't shitting on his recruiting class (though it is at best mediocre so far). They are shitting on people that think that he is a great recruiter because he targets a bunch of players he will likely never get.

Targeting great players doth not a great recruiter make. Landing one does. Let me know when he lands one. I will pat him on the back and give OJ cake and ice cream.

Irony is, I actually think it is going to happen. I just think the premature ejaculation is lame.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby carolina2010 on Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:56 pm

Amen. Its truly amazing that people are already criticizing Donahue's recruits, when (A) he was left with a steaming pile of shit, (B) he has a shitload of openings for 2011, (C) he has only been on the job for a few months and 2010 recruiting was basically already screwed, and (D) he is clearly trying to revive ties with New England coaches and actually promote the BC name.

Please explain what you mean by him being left with a 'steaming pile of shit'... seems to me (and HIS assistant coaches) that he's replaced the players he's lost with low-major prospects who do not inspire confidence in their ability to compete in the conference. Regarding the 'shitload of openings for 2011' - Are you suggesting that he should take just ANYONE to get bodies. He's beating out the freaking Patriot/Ivy Leagues for players for goodness' sake. BC is above that...
Last edited by carolina2010 on Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
carolina2010
Carney Hall

Postby Cadillac90 on Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:59 pm

Eagledom {l Wrote}:
MattTheEagle {l Wrote}:First things first, anyone who has based Donahue’s recruiting on this Moton and Rubin are being unreasonable as these players were recruited to give us some bodies with a diminished roster who fit in Donahue’s offense. We did not want to have to rely on walk-ons for subs. Both these players are players who have a chance to become great and with Donahue’s conditioning that is certainly a possibility; however neither are not coming out of high school as serious Division 1 recruits. Donahue is by no means recruiting a roster of Motons and Rubins, but considering the situation for a team that going into 2010 with 1 graduated, 2 transferring players, and all 3 commits leaving, we needed players who could at least play Division 1 ball so these were good and necessary pickups for us.

Amen OJ, you are so incredibly dense.
Cadillac90
Cushing Hall

Postby carolina2010 on Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:00 pm

I was wondering when you were going to come back to this board....

The Clifford offer is fine because this is a thin center class and he's one of the better players in New England in the 2011 class. Look, after the long lineage of awful centers we've had at BC (Oates, Southern, Dunn, etc.) it's worth a shot. The Odio offer is a tad absurd I agree I'm not sure what Donahue was thinking with that one. He's probably figuring we don't want to have 5 walk-ons on the team next year just like this yea.r

I've been monitoring things... but it's been a slow news cycle...

Re: Clifford he's a project, but certainly won't hurt things. Odio... let's just say that it's a bad sign when folks on staff are hoping that an offer is rescinded...
carolina2010
Carney Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:20 pm

carolina2010 {l Wrote}:Amen. Its truly amazing that people are already criticizing Donahue's recruits, when (A) he was left with a steaming pile of shit, (B) he has a shitload of openings for 2011, (C) he has only been on the job for a few months and 2010 recruiting was basically already screwed, and (D) he is clearly trying to revive ties with New England coaches and actually promote the BC name.

Please explain what you mean by him being left with a 'steaming pile of shit'... seems to me (and HIS assistant coaches) that he's replaced the players he's lost with low-major prospects who do not inspire confidence in their ability to compete in the conference. Regarding the 'shitload of openings for 2011' - Are you suggesting that he should take just ANYONE to get bodies. He's beating out the freaking Patriot/Ivy Leagues for players for goodness' sake. BC is above that...[/quote]

Did you notice who's available for 2010? Not an abundance of unsigned talent at the moment. Look, Odio can jump really high (volleyball) and seems to have a decent jumpshot. We could do a lot worse but we could do a lot better. I saw him dive for a loose ball, which puts him ahead of numerous people on the 2009-2010 roster.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby apbc12 on Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:28 pm

Look, I'm excited about Donahue and think he could end up being really good at BC. But to say after 4 months that we are way better off is stupid, because it's still entirely possible we're worse. For those of you who think otherwise, Winston Wolf has advice for you.
apbc12
Higgins Hall

Postby Eagledom on Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:41 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:People aren't shitting on his recruiting class (though it is at best mediocre so far). They are shitting on people that think that he is a great recruiter because he targets a bunch of players he will likely never get.

Targeting great players doth not a great recruiter make. Landing one does. Let me know when he lands one. I will pat him on the back and give OJ cake and ice cream.

Irony is, I actually think it is going to happen. I just think the premature ejaculation is lame.

No one is applauding his results yet...they are merely saying there are very good signs that he is going to be very successful. But because you are an argumentative and negative douchebag, you have to take the other side.
Eagledom
Merkert Hall

Postby Harry Seaward on Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:44 pm

I certainly didn't mean to denigrate the players that have committed to BC, but when somebody says that Donahue's recruiting is clearly better than Skinner's recruiting and to suggest otherwise means you must be related to Skinner, I look at the facts.

There are only two facts. Clifford and Odio.
Harry Seaward
Carney Hall

Postby BCEagles25 on Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:00 pm

Harry Seaward {l Wrote}:I certainly didn't mean to denigrate the players that have committed to BC, but when somebody says that Donahue's recruiting is clearly better than Skinner's recruiting and to suggest otherwise means you must be related to Skinner, I look at the facts.

Here's a third: They haven't started their senior year in high school yet.
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby carolina2010 on Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:02 pm

BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:
Harry Seaward {l Wrote}:I certainly didn't mean to denigrate the players that have committed to BC, but when somebody says that Donahue's recruiting is clearly better than Skinner's recruiting and to suggest otherwise means you must be related to Skinner, I look at the facts.

The point is that Odio SHOULD NOT have an offer from an ACC caliber school this early in the 2011 recruiting process. An April offer should be reserved for blue chips...
carolina2010
Carney Hall

Postby BCEagles25 on Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:15 pm

carolina2010 {l Wrote}:
BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:

The point is that Odio SHOULD NOT have an offer from an ACC caliber school this early in the 2011 recruiting process. An April offer should be reserved for blue chips...

Sure. Valid point. But it's also a valid point to say that they have not played a single NCAA game yet.
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby carolina2010 on Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:19 pm

Sure. Valid point. But it's also a valid point to say that they have not played a single NCAA game yet.

Touche...
carolina2010
Carney Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:12 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:People aren't shitting on his recruiting class (though it is at best mediocre so far). They are shitting on people that think that he is a great recruiter because he targets a bunch of players he will likely never get.

9 = :laugh :bowdown :bowdown :bowdown :bowdown :bowdown :bowdown
FALL 2011 WILL BE THE BEST EVER FOR BC SPORTS AT THE HEIGHTS!

Rettigun leading our Football team to 14-0 and a Title!

The Hoops Freshman starting a new Legacy!
The Icemen returneth for another shot at Title 5!

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:13 pm

Eagledom {l Wrote}:

No one is applauding his results yet...they are merely saying there are very good signs that he is going to be very successful. But because you are an argumentative and negative douchebag, you have to take the other side.

Very good signs that he is going to be very successful? Like what? Holding a camp and extending offers to kids he will play against at Duke and UNC?

Let me knows when he closes one. Otherwise, it is just a lot of Rod Odoms and the other fucking Murphy that had an offer from BC and didn't come.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Previous

Return to Conte Forum