2010 World Championships Thread

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

2010 World Championships Thread

Postby EagleDave on Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:25 pm

The USA Blue-White scrimmage game is tonight on ESPN2...

BLUE WHITE
Chauncey Billups Tyson Chandler
Rudy Gay Stephen Curry
Jeff Green Kevin Durant
Brook Lopez Eric Gordon
Kevin Love Danny Granger
O.J. Mayo Andre Iguodala
JaVale McGee Lamar Odom
Rajon Rondo Derrick Rose
Russell Westbrook Gerald Wallace

Anyone watching this tournament or care? I think it'll be interesting to see them try and win this with a more traditional roster (1-2 stars, bunch of supporting players).
Is this the 5 o'clock free crack giveaway?
EagleDave
Merkert Hall

Re: 2010 World Championships Thread

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Jul 25, 2010 1:30 am

Watched The Losers tonight. End of the movie, they're watching youth soccer. Guy gets into it with the ref, and says "this is worse than the NBA."

No, i won't be watching.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby cvilleagle on Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:59 am

I watched some of the scrimmage. It seemed like they weren't yet very organized. I think they have a tall order in front of them if they're going to win this tournament - they don't have much size, but as usual they have the best athletes of any team.

I have always wondered why the rule that you can tip it while in the cylinder doesn't benefit the U.S. a lot more, with the superior athleticism.
cvilleagle
Devlin Hall

Postby EagleDave on Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:30 am

cvilleagle {l Wrote}:I watched some of the scrimmage. It seemed like they weren't yet very organized. I think they have a tall order in front of them if they're going to win this tournament - they don't have much size, but as usual they have the best athletes of any team.

I have always wondered why the rule that you can tip it while in the cylinder doesn't benefit the U.S. a lot more, with the superior athleticism.

It would if they were conditioned to use it to their advantage. The NBA rules are so engraved in their heads that it's tough to turn it off. As for the scrimmage, I agree it was highly disorganized, though to be fair, they've only been together for 4 days. The positive though was that among a number of NBA All-Stars and solid upper tier players, Kevin Durant looked like he was playing against middle schoolers, so he should be outright dominant. Not to mention that the speed and athleticism of the team is off the charts.

The trouble they're going have is when the smarter teams (read: Greece, Spain, France, Argentina) are able to slow the game down. Can the US operate in a half court game? There's an AWFUL lot of guys on that US team that were weened on AAU street ball, which is a proven way to get yourself beaten in international tournaments. There's a real dearth of guys who can consistently make a stand still jumper which, like the 2006, 2004, and 2002 teams, could be their undoing.

Were I Jerry Colangelo, my roster would look like this:

Starters: C. Billups, K. Durant, D. Granger, K. Love, B. Lopez
Bench: D. Rose, S. Curry, E. Gordon, R. Gay, O. Mayo, L. Odom, T. Chandler
EagleDave
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:48 am

EagleDave {l Wrote}:
cvilleagle {l Wrote}:I watched some of the scrimmage. It seemed like they weren't yet very organized. I think they have a tall order in front of them if they're going to win this tournament - they don't have much size, but as usual they have the best athletes of any team.

It would if they were conditioned to use it to their advantage. The NBA rules are so engraved in their heads that it's tough to turn it off. As for the scrimmage, I agree it was highly disorganized, though to be fair, they've only been together for 4 days. The positive though was that among a number of NBA All-Stars and solid upper tier players, Kevin Durant looked like he was playing against middle schoolers, so he should be outright dominant. Not to mention that the speed and athleticism of the team is off the charts.

The trouble they're going have is when the smarter teams (read: Greece, Spain, France, Argentina) are able to slow the game down. Can the US operate in a half court game? There's an AWFUL lot of guys on that US team that were weened on AAU street ball, which is a proven way to get yourself beaten in international tournaments. There's a real dearth of guys who can consistently make a stand still jumper which, like the 2006, 2004, and 2002 teams, could be their undoing.

You are worried about shooting, and yet you want to start Durant at the 2?

I'd start Curry and Billups in the same backcourt. I'd shift Granger to the 4, and bring Love off the bench. And I wouldn't bother with Mayo or Gay.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby EagleDave on Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:49 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
EagleDave {l Wrote}:

You are worried about shooting, and yet you want to start Durant at the 2?

I'd start Curry and Billups in the same backcourt. I'd shift Granger to the 4, and bring Love off the bench. And I wouldn't bother with Mayo or Gay.

What's your beef with Durant at the 2? Gives you size, shooting, and length at the position.
EagleDave
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:59 am

EagleDave {l Wrote}:

You've just assembled the worst defensive starting line-up in the history of basketball, congratulations. Unfortunately, the guys on the bench aren't too keen on that either.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:41 am

The reason not to start Durant at the 2 is self explanatory. You need a shooter, not a guy that can shoot. And enough with the skinny, tall, athletic, weak, small forwards that don't play defense and don't rebound.

Billups
Curry
Durant
Love
Chandler

Lopez
Odom
Rose
Gay
Green
Iguodola

And next time, invite Kyle Korver.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby cvilleagle on Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:14 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:The reason not to start Durant at the 2 is self explanatory. You need a shooter, not a guy that can shoot. And enough with the skinny, tall, athletic, weak, small forwards that don't play defense and don't rebound.

Billups
Curry
Durant
Love
Chandler

Lopez
Odom
Rose
Gay
Green
Iguodola

And next time, invite Kyle Korver.

I agree that you have to get Curry on the floor - that guy can hit daggers. Plus Durant will almost be more dangerous at the three, matched up against bigger, slow foreigners. I really like the starting lineup above, except for the fact that it's weak at center, which is unavoidable.
cvilleagle
Devlin Hall

Postby cvilleagle on Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:39 am

They cut Mayo, Evans, McGee and Wallace. None of those cuts surprise me very much.
cvilleagle
Devlin Hall

Postby EagleDave on Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:07 pm

cvilleagle {l Wrote}:They cut Mayo, Evans, McGee and Wallace. None of those cuts surprise me very much.

They were the correct cuts for the most part. I'm not totally on board with cutting OJ Mayo just because of his defensive ability and his play making ability, especially at the expense of keeping 9 point guards. Much as I love Rondo in the NBA, he's a train wreck at the international level because of that highly suspect jump shot and the zone defenses that will limit his penetration (much like his college days). They need to send him home. The other 2 cuts will be veeeeeery interesting...particularly if the rumors of Brook Lopez being on the fence prove to be true. If they leave for Turkey minus Lopez, they'll have exactly 1 NBA caliber center (Chandler).

Spain ought to be salivating at the prospect of playing this team, even minus the elder Gasol. They are loaded with 8 current or former NBA players and a number of them with more size (read: Marc Gasol, Victor Claver, Jorge Garbajosa, and Fran Vazquez) and/or skill (read: Jose Calderon, Juan Carlos Navarro, Rudy Fernandez, and Ricky Rubio). Spain should be an easy favorite against this US roster.
EagleDave
Merkert Hall

Postby branchinator on Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:50 pm

Why doesn't this team have any PFs? They're going to get pounded on the boards.
branchinator
Cushing Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:58 pm

I will still take the US. UncleDave can give me some points.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby BC '00 on Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:00 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:I will still take the US. UncleDave can give me some points.

Make sure he writes it down. He forgets a lot in his drunken stupors (like the fact we use multiple receivers)
BC '00
Cushing Hall

Postby Puerto Rico Eagle on Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:51 am

The US should still be co favorite with Spain simply because they probably still have the most athletic and talented roster in the tournament and when you have PGs like Rose Rondo and Westbrook you have a shot...However, I would not be surprised if either Spain or Greece beat the US...Also, I think Brazil is a dark horse...Nene Varajao and Splitter down low could give the US fits sice they dont have many true Centers or PF...Down here in Puerto Rico we hope to et to the last 8...thats the goal and I think it can be done...should be a fun tournament
Puerto Rico Eagle
McGuinn Hall

Postby EagleDave on Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:46 pm

Puerto Rico Eagle {l Wrote}:The US should still be co favorite with Spain simply because they probably still have the most athletic and talented roster in the tournament and when you have PGs like Rose Rondo and Westbrook you have a shot...However, I would not be surprised if either Spain or Greece beat the US...Also, I think Brazil is a dark horse...Nene Varajao and Splitter down low could give the US fits sice they dont have many true Centers or PF...Down here in Puerto Rico we hope to et to the last 8...thats the goal and I think it can be done...should be a fun tournament

Brazil is much improved from where they were 3 years ago in the Olympic qualifier (where all they did was bitch and complain about minutes). Don't forget they also have Leandro Barbosa and Pooh Jeter at the guard spots. They're pretty solid up and down, but lack the athleticism and the bench to beat the US. Spain has the best blend of size, talent, depth and athleticism in the tournament. The US' best bet against them is to turn it into a track meet where their superior speed would take the day. But if Spain can grind them down at all, the US would have no answers for Gasol and Claver and those big wing players. I'm not huge on Greece though. I think they caught lightning in a bottle that day 4 years ago, but they've never even come close to playing at that level again since (Spain beat them by what, 30 in the final?). Spanonoulis is still a strong international guard, but all they really have down low is Schortsianitis (aka Baby Shaq). I think they've regressed a little bit and won't be much of a threat to make the final.

The dark horse teams to avoid if you're the US are Lithuania, Serbia, and Russia. That area of the world is a basketball hotbed and, excluding Russia, has consistently churned out quality teams in the last 10 years. Serbia in particular might be the dark horse to win this thing. They're bringing a squad who's core dismantled the US U-18 team 2 years ago in the World Championships (Derek Rose can tell you all about that team). They're super young, but they'll be a tough out.
EagleDave
Merkert Hall

Postby EagleDave on Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:04 pm

Brook Lopez officially withdrew from the team today, as he is apparently recovering from mono still. That leaves just Tyson Chandler as the only true center on Team USA. Can Kevin Durant play the middle?
EagleDave
Merkert Hall

Postby footer20 on Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:55 pm

The whole team should be based on shooting, which is the whole international game. You need great shooters such as Curry, Korver, and Redick. To field a team you should also check their college production, as the international game is far closer to the NCAA than the NBA. The international teams will play zone and you need shooters to bust that zone and then bring in the athleticism when they try man. You could try to turn it into a track meet with the currrent roster but to run you must rebound and this team doesn't look like theiri big enough or strong enough to control the boards. I am guessing that guys like Deron Williams, Chris paul, Lebron, d wade, kobe, carmelo, bosh, howard and others from the olympic team had no interest of playing they should field a more European type team. Maybe a roster that looks like this:

PG Derrick Rose
PG Chauncey Billups
PG Russell Westbrook
SG Stephen Curry
SG Joe Johnson
SG JJ Redick
SF Kevin Durant
SF Kyle Korver
PF kevin Love
PF Carlos Boozer
C Al Horford
C david lee

You would have speed at the PG position, shooting ability at the 2 and 3 position and solid rebounders at the 4 and 5 position. Some of the players arent so high profile but there game is perfect for the international scene
footer20
McGuinn Hall

Postby Puerto Rico Eagle on Sat Aug 07, 2010 5:03 pm

footer20 {l Wrote}:The whole team should be based on shooting, which is the whole international game. You need great shooters such as Curry, Korver, and Redick. To field a team you should also check their college production, as the international game is far closer to the NCAA than the NBA. The international teams will play zone and you need shooters to bust that zone and then bring in the athleticism when they try man. You could try to turn it into a track meet with the currrent roster but to run you must rebound and this team doesn't look like theiri big enough or strong enough to control the boards. I am guessing that guys like Deron Williams, Chris paul, Lebron, d wade, kobe, carmelo, bosh, howard and others from the olympic team had no interest of playing they should field a more European type team. Maybe a roster that looks like this:

PG Derrick Rose
PG Chauncey Billups
PG Russell Westbrook
SG Stephen Curry
SG Joe Johnson
SG JJ Redick
SF Kevin Durant
SF Kyle Korver
PF kevin Love
PF Carlos Boozer
C Al Horford
C david lee

You would have speed at the PG position, shooting ability at the 2 and 3 position and solid rebounders at the 4 and 5 position. Some of the players arent so high profile but there game is perfect for the international scene

Nice line up...but horford is dominican so you will have to scratch his name of the list...plus...not all teams are completely based of shooting and the one huge advantage that the US holds over the rest of the world is athletic ability why not use it? Rudy Gay instead of Korver for example...
Puerto Rico Eagle
McGuinn Hall

Postby Puerto Rico Eagle on Sat Aug 07, 2010 5:05 pm

By the way...I think Argentina's run with its golden generation of players is over...Just played Puerto Rico in Argentina and only won in OT with Scola Oberto Delfino playing 30+ minutes...Puerto Rico was missing its 4 best players...including our 3 NBA players
Puerto Rico Eagle
McGuinn Hall

Postby EagleDave on Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:59 pm

Puerto Rico Eagle {l Wrote}:By the way...I think Argentina's run with its golden generation of players is over...Just played Puerto Rico in Argentina and only won in OT with Scola Oberto Delfino playing 30+ minutes...Puerto Rico was missing its 4 best players...including our 3 NBA players

This. Argentina had it's time but Ginobili is over the hill to be playing big minutes internationally, same for Oberto, and their longtime PG retired (name escapes me). That leaves just Scola and Nocioni to lead this team, and while Scola is tremendous, it's a lot like Oscar Torres trying to play 1 on 12 against the Original Dream Team for Brazil in '92. They've got nothing coming down the pipeline either (see: horrendous finishes in Copa America and all U-18 and U-17 events in the past 4 years).
EagleDave
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:27 pm

Puerto Rico Eagle {l Wrote}:
footer20 {l Wrote}:The whole team should be based on shooting, which is the whole international game. You need great shooters such as Curry, Korver, and Redick. To field a team you should also check their college production, as the international game is far closer to the NCAA than the NBA. The international teams will play zone and you need shooters to bust that zone and then bring in the athleticism when they try man. You could try to turn it into a track meet with the currrent roster but to run you must rebound and this team doesn't look like theiri big enough or strong enough to control the boards. I am guessing that guys like Deron Williams, Chris paul, Lebron, d wade, kobe, carmelo, bosh, howard and others from the olympic team had no interest of playing they should field a more European type team. Maybe a roster that looks like this:

PG Derrick Rose
PG Chauncey Billups
PG Russell Westbrook
SG Stephen Curry
SG Joe Johnson
SG JJ Redick
SF Kevin Durant
SF Kyle Korver
PF kevin Love
PF Carlos Boozer
C Al Horford
C david lee

Nice line up...but horford is dominican so you will have to scratch his name of the list...plus...not all teams are completely based of shooting and the one huge advantage that the US holds over the rest of the world is athletic ability why not use it? Rudy Gay instead of Korver for example...

On an NBA team I would take Gay over Korver. On a basketball team, I would take Korver over Gay a thousand times over again. The NBA doesn't remotely resemble basketball anymore. It is track and field where you have to carry a ball while you run.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby EagleDave on Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:00 am

Team USA gets its first taste of official game action today in a friendly when they take on the Tony Parker-less, Roddy Beaubois-less French national team. Vegas has the Americans as 35.5 point favorites...should be a real down to the wire slugfest. Game time is at 1 o'clock for those craving some actual competitive basketball and is on ESPN I believe.
EagleDave
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:13 pm

Curry starting. Good.

This is marginally less boring than the "Tiger Woods is out of it so he went off early enough that we can show every one of his shots" festival on TNT. Okay, maybe not.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby EagleDave on Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:25 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Curry starting. Good.

This is marginally less boring than the "Tiger Woods is out of it so he went off early enough that we can show every one of his shots" festival on TNT. Okay, maybe not.

Anything is less boring than watching a "sport" made to be played not watched on TV...even watching Rose & Rondo turn the ball over a combined 304 times in the 1st quarter. They look AWFUL.
EagleDave
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:31 pm

EagleDave {l Wrote}:

Anything is less boring than watching a "sport" made to be played not watched on TV...even watching Rose & Rondo turn the ball over a combined 304 times in the 1st quarter. They look AWFUL.

Rose was awful. Billups and Curry should be the backcourt.

Golf is better suited for TV than almost anything. It's the perfect TV sport when Tiger Woods is not playing.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby EagleDave on Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:43 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
EagleDave {l Wrote}:

Golf is better suited for TV than almost anything. It's the perfect TV sport when Tiger Woods is not playing.

Perhaps my being under 40 skews my opinion, but I literally have no inclination to ever watch golf on TV, nor do I understand the fascination with it. But to each his own I suppose.
EagleDave
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:46 pm

EagleDave {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
EagleDave {l Wrote}:

Perhaps my being under 40 skews my opinion, but I literally have no inclination to ever watch golf on TV, nor do I understand the fascination with it. But to each his own I suppose.

I am under 40, but am old enough to remember when the NBA resembled basketball. This USA team is horrible. And yet they still win this thing easy.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby EagleDave on Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:10 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
EagleDave {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
EagleDave {l Wrote}:

I am under 40, but am old enough to remember when the NBA resembled basketball. This USA team is horrible. And yet they still win this thing easy.

I wouldn't go as far as to call them horrible, but it's not a particularly well constructed team. And I think you're really selling some of the competition short. There's some teams that are going to cause MAJOR problems for them in this thing. I honestly don't think they're going to win it right now. And today's performance is strengthening that opinion.
EagleDave
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:22 pm

EagleDave {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
EagleDave {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
EagleDave {l Wrote}:

I wouldn't go as far as to call them horrible, but it's not a particularly well constructed team. And I think you're really selling some of the competition short. There's some teams that are going to cause MAJOR problems for them in this thing. I honestly don't think they're going to win it right now. And today's performance is strengthening that opinion.

I stopped watching. Mickelson is so on fire right now, it is ridiculous. If he gets 3 more birdies, and the leaders choke up as expected, this could be interesting.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Next

Return to Conte Forum