Taylor's not coming

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Taylor's not coming

Postby eagle9903 on Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:23 am

from TOS.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Re: Taylor's not coming

Postby Brablc on Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:51 am

What's the reason? I assume you're talking about Travis Taylor.
Brablc
McGuinn Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:17 am

they said something about a suspension while he was still at monmouth, sucks.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby BC923 on Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:11 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:they said something about a suspension while he was still at monmouth, sucks.

he was suspended during this season, i know that.
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby BCEagles25 on Sat Jul 17, 2010 3:14 pm

Wait - what?
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby MattTheEagle on Sat Jul 17, 2010 4:18 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:from TOS.

Can you send the link? I tried looking all over the internet for more information and all I found still indicated he was coming to BC.
MattTheEagle
Campion Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Sat Jul 17, 2010 6:51 pm

MattTheEagle {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:from TOS.

Can you send the link? I tried looking all over the internet for more information and all I found still indicated he was coming to BC.

its just a post from their basketball writer that says he spoke to a guy at some nj newspaper who said Taylor's now not coming and that it has something to do with his suspension this season at monmouth. The TOS writer says he still has to confirm with BC but it sounds like its done i guess.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby BCEagles25 on Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:23 pm

So - umm - is Taylor just like not coming anymore? Can I get some sort of substantial evidence?
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby RedBaron67 on Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:43 pm

I just saw confirmation in http://www.zagsblog.com that Taylor isn't coming. It reports that BC said it didn't know about Taylor's suspension(!) while sarcastically asking how they missed it. I really hope this isn't more of the BC administration's idiocy that almost destroyed the basketball program at the time of Jim O'Brien's departure.
RedBaron67
Campion Hall

Postby BC '00 on Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:13 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:hey homojs - maybe on your way to moonstruck or paradise you can stop by west long branch and find out what the suspension was all about

Is RedBaron67 the name under which HJS is going to come out of the closet as a Rutgres fan? It's awfully close to Scarlet Knight
BC '00
Cushing Hall

Postby cvilleagle on Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:26 pm

RedBaron67 {l Wrote}:I just saw confirmation in http://www.zagsblog.com that Taylor isn't coming. It reports that BC said it didn't know about Taylor's suspension(!) while sarcastically asking how they missed it. I really hope this isn't more of the BC administration's idiocy that almost destroyed the basketball program at the time of Jim O'Brien's departure.

Wow I really hope it's not true that we didn't know about the suspension. It was only mentioned in every article about the guy.
cvilleagle
Devlin Hall

Postby MattTheEagle on Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:06 pm

cvilleagle {l Wrote}:
RedBaron67 {l Wrote}:I just saw confirmation in http://www.zagsblog.com that Taylor isn't coming. It reports that BC said it didn't know about Taylor's suspension(!) while sarcastically asking how they missed it. I really hope this isn't more of the BC administration's idiocy that almost destroyed the basketball program at the time of Jim O'Brien's departure.

Wow I really hope it's not true that we didn't know about the suspension. It was only mentioned in every article about the guy.

I am sure that is not the case. Like all of us I am sure BC knew he was suspended for 7 games for violating violating team rules; however, BC likely did not know what he was suspended for. We probably assumed that if Monmouth suspended him for only 7 games it was something like pot or a pick-up game during the season which BC has in the past suspended players for; however, the suspension probably had a lot more baggage like weapon possession or hard drugs. Privacy concerns will likely prevent the public from ever knowing the truth but if I was a betting man, I would put my chips on this.
MattTheEagle
Campion Hall

Postby Eagledom on Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:28 pm

MattTheEagle {l Wrote}:
cvilleagle {l Wrote}:

I am sure that is not the case. Like all of us I am sure BC knew he was suspended for 7 games for violating violating team rules; however, BC likely did not know what he was suspended for. We probably assumed that if Monmouth suspended him for only 7 games it was something like pot or a pick-up game during the season which BC has in the past suspended players for; however, the suspension probably had a lot more baggage like weapon possession or hard drugs. Privacy concerns will likely prevent the public from ever knowing the truth but if I was a betting man, I would put my chips on this.

Agreed. There's no way in hell BC didn't know about the suspension. It sucks, but things are clearly looking up in terms of recruiting for 2011 and thereafter. Next year will suck, and 2011 will probably be tough too because of the youth, but Donahue is really going after top talent in 2011 and later, and BC hoops will be on the rise.
Eagledom
Merkert Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:45 pm

Eagledom {l Wrote}:
Agreed. There's no way in hell BC didn't know about the suspension. It sucks, but things are clearly looking up in terms of recruiting for 2011 and thereafter. Next year will suck, and 2011 will probably be tough too because of the youth, but Donahue is really going after top talent in 2011 and later, and BC hoops will be on the rise.

So not only are you assuming he's going to get the top talent he's targeting, but you're assuming once at BC they will live up to the hype? Are you sure you don't want to wait to judge the players/coach until after some arbitrary period? I've heard some people require this.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby RedBaron67 on Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:33 pm

Even if BC didn't know about the nature of Taylor's suspension, they should have, unless privacy laws presented an insurmountable barrier (which apparently was not the case, since they eventually did find out). College athletic programs are expected to exercise the equivalent of due diligence before deciding to admit a transfer, and this looks clumsy and incompetent at best :lame. It definitely does not help what is already a very challenging recruiting situation, where the players BC wants have a multitude of options.
RedBaron67
Campion Hall

Postby joemack13 on Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:00 am

It also doesn't help if being successful in 2011 has any bearing on bringing in kids for 2012... we need at least some mediocre talent for 2011. We can talk to all the big names we want but why're they gonna come if next year there's still questions about the stability of the program
joemack13
Campion Hall

Postby BC '00 on Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:36 am

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
Eagledom {l Wrote}:

So not only are you assuming he's going to get the top talent he's targeting, but you're assuming once at BC they will live up to the hype? Are you sure you don't want to wait to judge the players/coach until after some arbitrary period? I've heard some people require this.

You also might want to see photographic evidence of the players' ... complexion
BC '00
Cushing Hall

Postby MattTheEagle on Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:18 pm

joemack13 {l Wrote}:It also doesn't help if being successful in 2011 has any bearing on bringing in kids for 2012... we need at least some mediocre talent for 2011. We can talk to all the big names we want but why're they gonna come if next year there's still questions about the stability of the program

I agree and trust me I wanted Taylor to play for BC...but let's be honest to say that it is going to seriously hurt 2011 is inane. Taylor may be a star at Monmouth, and a player who certainly could hang with the big teams, but its not like big schools were drooling to have him. As a recently graduated student I know for a fact that there have been problems with athletes with disciplinary issues in the past and that is something we don't want. I am not saying Taylor specifically had serious disciplinary issues as I do not know much about the situation but there is more to the picture than the public will ever know about and I am ok with that (yes, privacy does matter unless you are a celebrity like lindsey lohan :)

Seriously for a coach that is doing everything he can to make BC basketball strong in the ACC again (and is already at a good start) I am sensing way too much negativity amongst a group that are supposedly all BC hoops fans. I would love to see one of the top recruits choose BC, but let's not downplay the fact that Donahue has already recruited Clifford and Odio as well as Humphrey who will likely play for us in 2011. You can say what you want about Clifford and Odio but they are quick and have size for a team that desperately needs it. Let's also not forget that Donahue was able to go to the Sweet 16 with recruits who were even weaker "scouts rated recruits," which is important because it shows he is definitely capable of hanging with the top teams in the country. With BC in an elite basketball conferance and able to offer scholarships to top athletes, our odds look pretty good. This year will be a critical year as I believe if 2012 recruits can see Donahue do well right off the spot, they can feel comfortable that Donahue can do so much more and make BC competitive with the powerhouses.
MattTheEagle
Campion Hall

Postby RedBaron67 on Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:49 am

I just heaved a huge sigh of relief after reading in Wednesday's atleagle blog that BC did in fact know about Taylor's suspension but that Taylor misrepresented the specifics of the situation to them. If, as that gentleman assures us (and I'm entirely willing to believe him), BC neither screwed up nor screwed Taylor over, I am so happy I'm almost ready to have a cheerleading episode :cheer. It reassures me immensely to discover that BC can avoid putting its foot in the same pile of doodoo twice; I don't find institutions exceeding my expectations all that often.
RedBaron67
Campion Hall

Postby cvilleagle on Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:15 am

For the record, he ended up at Xavier.
cvilleagle
Devlin Hall

Return to Conte Forum