Lebron to...

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Lebron to...

Postby eaglesmith on Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:09 am

Jesus, talk about the proverbial letter you write but don't send.

I think Dan Gilbert just outdid WVU fans after Rich Rod left. On second thought...nah.
eaglesmith
McGuinn Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:10 am

Owners have said much worse. Stern is laughing in his piles of money (note I said "his" and not "the League's")
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby angrychicken on Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:47 am

angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby Endless Mike on Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:03 am

ryrob {l Wrote}:http://www.nba.com/cavaliers/news/gilbert_letter_100708.html

HOLY FUCK. While it's entertaining to read, that's one of the most unprofessional things I've ever seen.

I like it. The fanbase and franchise are in disarray after their hometown hero told them to fuck off on a primetime special. What would you say?
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby branchinator on Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:07 am

Endless Mike {l Wrote}:

HOLY FUCK. While it's entertaining to read, that's one of the most unprofessional things I've ever seen.

I like it. The fanbase and franchise are in disarray after their hometown hero told them to fuck off on a primetime special. What would you say?

I liked it except for the championship guarantee. He should have just ripped LeBron and left it at that.
branchinator
Cushing Hall

Postby cvilleagle on Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:14 am

branchinator {l Wrote}:
Endless Mike {l Wrote}:

I liked it except for the championship guarantee. He should have just ripped LeBron and left it at that.

It just sounds like sour grapes to say "the self-titled king" when just weeks ago the Cavs have been selling the "King James" thing for 7 years.
cvilleagle
Devlin Hall

Postby cvilleagle on Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:19 am

Also:

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2010-07-08/lebron-should-sign-short-deal-buy-gold-anti-inflation-group.html

"“Everyone is so wrapped up in the LeBron story that they don’t see hyperinflation coming,” Adams says. “I hope LeBron is smarter.”
cvilleagle
Devlin Hall

Postby BC '00 on Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:23 am

cvilleagle {l Wrote}:Also:

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2010-07-08/lebron-should-sign-short-deal-buy-gold-anti-inflation-group.html

"“Everyone is so wrapped up in the LeBron story that they don’t see hyperinflation coming,” Adams says. “I hope LeBron is smarter.”

Because if there's one thing we know about professional athletes...they're savvy investors!
BC '00
Cushing Hall

Postby angryty on Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:41 am

I like the owners response. It is about the only honest thing that came out of this whole sad affair. Here is what we learned from this whole thing:

1. LeBron is a pussy. To compare him to Jordan or Bird or Magic is a sad joke. For all the talk about the talent that played around each of the aforementioned greats ignores the fact that they were all the unquestionable alpha dogs of the collection of talent around them. in contrast, Lebron is D-Wade's bitch. The only way Miami can conceivably win a championship with the thin talent that will surround D-Wade and Bron-Bron (Chris Bosh is one of the most overrated athletes on the planet in any sport) will be with D-Wade going for 25-30 points a game and Bron-Bron doing the dirty work and off-the-stat sheet stuff that is always handled by the second banana. That Bron-Bron would role over so readily should not have been suprising to anyone who watched his playoff performance. It was the epitomy of gutlessness.

2. The New York Knickerbockers are the most pathetic franchise in all of professional sports. After the Layden-Thomas debacles they brought in the most overrated GM in basketball (who is only a slight upgrade over the previous two imbeciles), gutted whatever was left and ultimately are left overpaying for someone who plays the same position as David Lee, was not as statistically good as Lee this past year (see the ESPN article that makes that point) and, oh yeah, has had microfracture surgery on his knee! So now they convert Lee for a collection of stiffs from Golden State and pray to God that Melo bails them out next year. It is unfathomable to me that a league would allow the franchise in the media capital of the world to suck for as long as the NBA has stood around watching the Knicks drown, but if you talk to some of his former partners at Proskauer they will tell you that Stern actively does everything in his power to crush the Knicks whenever possible (the Ewing lottery conspiracy theories are laughable).

3. Low tax havens are a draw for anyone with talent. There is a reason that blue states like California, New York, etc. are dying while Texas, Florida and the whole Sunbelt are booming.
angryty
McGuinn Hall

Postby bignick33 on Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:48 am

Ty is right about one thing: best-case for Miami, in terms of team make-up, is for Lebron have a glorified Pippen role.
I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:59 am

angryty {l Wrote}:I like the owners response. It is about the only honest thing that came out of this whole sad affair. Here is what we learned from this whole thing:

1. LeBron is a pussy. To compare him to Jordan or Bird or Magic is a sad joke. For all the talk about the talent that played around each of the aforementioned greats ignores the fact that they were all the unquestionable alpha dogs of the collection of talent around them. in contrast, Lebron is D-Wade's bitch. The only way Miami can conceivably win a championship with the thin talent that will surround D-Wade and Bron-Bron (Chris Bosh is one of the most overrated athletes on the planet in any sport) will be with D-Wade going for 25-30 points a game and Bron-Bron doing the dirty work and off-the-stat sheet stuff that is always handled by the second banana. That Bron-Bron would role over so readily should not have been suprising to anyone who watched his playoff performance. It was the epitomy of gutlessness.

2. The New York Knickerbockers are the most pathetic franchise in all of professional sports. After the Layden-Thomas debacles they brought in the most overrated GM in basketball (who is only a slight upgrade over the previous two imbeciles), gutted whatever was left and ultimately are left overpaying for someone who plays the same position as David Lee, was not as statistically good as Lee this past year (see the ESPN article that makes that point) and, oh yeah, has had microfracture surgery on his knee! So now they convert Lee for a collection of stiffs from Golden State and pray to God that Melo bails them out next year. It is unfathomable to me that a league would allow the franchise in the media capital of the world to suck for as long as the NBA has stood around watching the Knicks drown, but if you talk to some of his former partners at Proskauer they will tell you that Stern actively does everything in his power to crush the Knicks whenever possible (the Ewing lottery conspiracy theories are laughable).

3. Low tax havens are a draw for anyone with talent. There is a reason that blue states like California, New York, etc. are dying while Texas, Florida and the whole Sunbelt are booming.

Florida is booming?? Really? It's booming with insane people who release pythons into the everglades. The school system in Florida is putrid and the state has been hit hard by the real estate market and its economy has suffered. A blue state like Massachusetts (and I am not blue) maintains a stable economy, stable home prices and arguably the best public school system in the country.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:01 am

angryty {l Wrote}:
I like the owners response. It is about the only honest thing that came out of this whole sad affair.

This was not sour grapes...this was fact AND 1,000 Espn TALKING HEADS AND HOUSE LACKIES never said one word about his playoff disappearing acts.......

Why the Knicks never had a chance at LeBron.....LEE is better than Amar'e!! (My post last night).... and the NBA GM's knew it and why no one went after Amar'e and even PHX wanted him gone....no defense and no balls and a perfect head Coach in D'Antonio..like Don Nelson...

2. The New York Knickerbockers are the most pathetic franchise in all of professional sports. After the Layden-Thomas debacles they brought in the most overrated GM in basketball.

IRISH DRUNKS.

Melo may take less and go to Miami too... :lol:
FALL 2011 WILL BE THE BEST EVER FOR BC SPORTS AT THE HEIGHTS!

Rettigun leading our Football team to 14-0 and a Title!

The Hoops Freshman starting a new Legacy!
The Icemen returneth for another shot at Title 5!

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:02 am

bignick33 {l Wrote}:Ty is right about one thing: best-case for Miami, in terms of team make-up, is for Lebron have a glorified Pippen role.

Pippen was better.
FALL 2011 WILL BE THE BEST EVER FOR BC SPORTS AT THE HEIGHTS!

Rettigun leading our Football team to 14-0 and a Title!

The Hoops Freshman starting a new Legacy!
The Icemen returneth for another shot at Title 5!

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby angryty on Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:18 am

The economic illiteracy of Militant is amusing if nothing else. Demographics is destiny. Yes, Florida has taken a temporary hit in home prices while Massachusetts is stable. Of course, Florida went up at a magnitude of ten times in comparison to Massachusetts, so, even with the give back, Florida real estate has been a much better investment over the last ten year period. The population is moving out of the blue states and into places like Florida. Population shifts mean prosperity shifts (and the Fortune 500 Companies have followed suit). The aging of the baby boomers will only steepen the trend as literally millions of wealthy boomers transfer their assets from places like Massachusetts, NY, etc. and go to Florida or Texas for that matter.

As to the debate about school systems, Fitchburg, Lowell and a two dozen other decrepit former mill towns called to tell you that you are wrong. There is a reason that Massachusetts has robust Independent School and Catholic School sectors and it ain't because the public schools are good.
angryty
McGuinn Hall

Postby bignick33 on Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:22 am

angryty {l Wrote}:There is a reason that Massachusetts has robust Independent School and Catholic School sectors and it ain't because the public schools are good.

Because people from places like Wellesley and Winchester like spending $$ gratuitously?
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:40 pm

angryty {l Wrote}:The economic illiteracy of Militant is amusing if nothing else. Demographics is destiny. Yes, Florida has taken a temporary hit in home prices while Massachusetts is stable. Of course, Florida went up at a magnitude of ten times in comparison to Massachusetts, so, even with the give back, Florida real estate has been a much better investment over the last ten year period. The population is moving out of the blue states and into places like Florida. Population shifts mean prosperity shifts (and the Fortune 500 Companies have followed suit). The aging of the baby boomers will only steepen the trend as literally millions of wealthy boomers transfer their assets from places like Massachusetts, NY, etc. and go to Florida or Texas for that matter.

As to the debate about school systems, Fitchburg, Lowell and a two dozen other decrepit former mill towns called to tell you that you are wrong. There is a reason that Massachusetts has robust Independent School and Catholic School sectors and it ain't because the public schools are good.

Umm...a quick google search gave me this report. According to this site, the Top 5 performing public schools are in Massachusetts. Your biases weaken every argument you make. You would think a man with a legal education would be more objective. Massachusetts has some of the best universities/colleges in the country (Harvard, MIT, BC, Tufts, Wellesley, Amherst, Williams, etc.), some of the best hospitals and a strong tech economy. Florida has its own logo on fark.

5 SHARON HIGH Sharon, MA
4 WINCHESTER HIGH SCHOOL Winchester, MA
3 BOSTON LATIN Boston, MA
2 MEDFIELD SENIOR HIGH Medfield, MA
1 DOVER-SHERBORN REG HIGH Dover, MA

http://www.neighborhoodscout.com/neighb ... gs/top100/
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby angryty on Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:28 pm

And what is the matrix being used. There are other matrix that suggest that Virginia--and in particular Arlington and Fairfax counties--have the best public schools in the country, others that suggest Westchester County, NY has the best public schools and still others that suggest Tucson, Arizona has the best public school system.

As for biases, I have none. I care little for either Massachusetts or Florida. What I do know, as does anyone who can read a demographic chart or a flow of business chart, is that from every economic matrix, Florida and the rest of the Sunbelt are kicking the ever living shit out of Massachusetts and its Blue State bretheren. I take it from your posts that you are an unthinking, wild-eyed, Massachusetts booster. Good for you. I am glad you like where you live. However, GDP numbers and population migrations do not lie. The economic engine of the country resides in the Sunbelt--an area which encompasses the old Confederacy and the Southwest. To the extent that blue states are still economically relevant, it is more an accident of history (i.e. New York still clinging to the title of economic and media capital of the world based on events that occured hundreds of years ago) than anything those areas are currently doing now. And unless there are certain reversals in philosophy, those states will continue to decline. There is some room for optimism in the election of Scott Brown or the great start of Doug Christie in New Jersey. But there are still many miles to travel before the decline will be arrested.
angryty
McGuinn Hall

Postby BCMcG on Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:36 pm

The statewide public high school graduation rate in Florida is 54%.

54%!

To graduate from high school, you could probably just show up, sit there, and keep your mouth shut and that would be sufficient. Yet nearly half of Florida's high school student's can't manage to do that. They must have far more pressing matters to which they must attend.
BCMcG
McGuinn Hall

Postby bignick33 on Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:45 pm

angryty {l Wrote}:And what is the matrix being used. There are other matrix that suggest that Virginia--and in particular Arlington and Fairfax counties--have the best public schools in the country, others that suggest Westchester County, NY has the best public schools and still others that suggest Tucson, Arizona has the best public school system.

As for biases, I have none. I care little for either Massachusetts or Florida. What I do know, as does anyone who can read a demographic chart or a flow of business chart, is that from every economic matrix, Florida and the rest of the Sunbelt are kicking the ever living shit out of Massachusetts and its Blue State bretheren. I take it from your posts that you are an unthinking, wild-eyed, Massachusetts booster. Good for you. I am glad you like where you live. However, GDP numbers and population migrations do not lie. The economic engine of the country resides in the Sunbelt--an area which encompasses the old Confederacy and the Southwest. To the extent that blue states are still economically relevant, it is more an accident of history (i.e. New York still clinging to the title of economic and media capital of the world based on events that occured hundreds of years ago) than anything those areas are currently doing now. And unless there are certain reversals in philosophy, those states will continue to decline. There is some room for optimism in the election of Scott Brown or the great start of Doug Christie in New Jersey. But there are still many miles to travel before the decline will be arrested.

Ty, I frankly don't give a shit about the health of states like New Jersey and California. That being said, Massachusetts is doing alright for itself. It experienced a 3.9% population increase between 2000 and 2009, while Boston experienced a 9.5% increase over that time. The financial sector is relatively strong, and higher ed and medicine are industries that have allowed Massachusetts to maintain a level of economic stability that is almost unmatched in the USA. These industries are not going anywhere for obvious reasons. You may hate the liberals of MA, but it's idiotic to lump MA with NJ, CA, etc.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby angryty on Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:36 pm

Not for nothing, but the 2010 census projections indicate that Massachusetts is going to lose another congressional seat. According to projections, that seat is going to Arizona, Virginia, Georgia, Tennesee or Florida. As I said, demographics do not lie.

As far as high school graduation rates, who gives a fuck? If Massachusetts had a large, rural black population, a large immigrant hispanic population and a poor inner city black population, it's high school grad rates would be lower. I would note that in Boston, according to a 2007 study that seems to be the most recent, you have a 36% dropout rate--certainly nothing to write home about. In any case, all of that is pretty irrelevant in the face of declining economic engines in the Northeast--finance will follow the population, it always has and it always will and most economists are of the opinion that higher eductaion is the next great bubble to burst. All and all, a pretty bleak outlook.
angryty
McGuinn Hall

Postby bignick33 on Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:45 pm

angryty {l Wrote}:and most economists are of the opinion that higher eductaion is the next great bubble to burst

only temporarily
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:46 pm

angryty {l Wrote}:And what is the matrix being used. There are other matrix that suggest that Virginia--and in particular Arlington and Fairfax counties--have the best public schools in the country, others that suggest Westchester County, NY has the best public schools and still others that suggest Tucson, Arizona has the best public school system.

In terms of the people who actually leave Boston, I'm sure many do it because they can't afford it. $300,000+ will get you a 250 square-foot condo in Back Bay or Beacon Hill. The real estate would be cheap as hell if everybody wanted out. Whether you like it or not, whether Ted Kennedy is the Senator or not, Massachusetts will always have one of the most stable economies in the country.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby Endless Mike on Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:50 pm

Endless Mike {l Wrote}:

Also worth noting: if it's true that last night the Cavs website displayed a picture of Delonte West on the main page, I have to tip my cap to them. Awesome.
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby BCMcG on Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:01 pm

bignick33 {l Wrote}:
angryty {l Wrote}:and most economists are of the opinion that higher eductaion is the next great bubble to burst

only temporarily

Yeah, I'm not really buying the bursting of the higher education bubble. The demand for higher education is highly inelastic. We're nowhere near the day that you can walk into a prospective employer with Wikipedia, open courseware, and podcasts on your resume and expect not to be laughed at. Here's an idea - if you don't want to amass an insurmountable amount of student loan debt, don't go to a mediocre $50,000 per year liberal arts college and major in women's studies and philosophy. Go to a reasonably priced state school or <gasp!> a community college and learn there. We have a wonderfully diverse system of higher education in this country.

And those mediocre $50,000 liberal arts colleges, they will react to market forces and cut back costs to survive. They just aren't being forced to now because the demand is there and their classroom seats and dormitory beds are full.
BCMcG
McGuinn Hall

Postby BCMcG on Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:53 am

Back on topic...

No love for Mario Chalmers?

What a tool

BCMcG
McGuinn Hall

Postby Shredder on Sat Jul 10, 2010 5:17 pm

BCMcG {l Wrote}:Back on topic...

Why is no one talking about Chalmers? He's a point-guard that doesn't score a lot, perfect for the new team? He started the two seasons he played in Miami. Is he not expected to recover from his injury? Everything I'm seeing talks about filling out the roster with veterans and having LeBron play "point-forward." If anyone can blossom in this situation, I would think it'd be Chalmers.
Shredder
McGuinn Hall

Postby apbc12 on Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:41 pm

Shredder {l Wrote}:
BCMcG {l Wrote}:Back on topic...

Why is no one talking about Chalmers? He's a point-guard that doesn't score a lot, perfect for the new team?

More importantly, he only makes $700,000 a year.
apbc12
Higgins Hall

Previous

Return to Conte Forum