Commits/Recruiting

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Commits/Recruiting

Postby flyingelvii on Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:30 pm

EagleNYC {l Wrote}:Reason number #198742 that I dislike the SABR community is the over-reliance upon the concept of "regression to the mean." Jackson's had a few hot games because he is streaky; remember when he couldn't buy a basket? By switching to a hot streak he isn't compensating for a slow start, he's just streaky. That's how some shooters can be.

At the same time, athletes (particularly college atheletes) improve all the time. They mature physically and mentally, and therefore, there is a "new mean" so to speak. Look no further than Ryan Anderson. Rant over.

Regression to the mean is retarded when talking about college athletes.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:54 pm

EagleNYC {l Wrote}:Reason number #198742 that I dislike the SABR community is the over-reliance upon the concept of "regression to the mean." Jackson's had a few hot games because he is streaky; remember when he couldn't buy a basket? By switching to a hot streak he isn't compensating for a slow start, he's just streaky. That's how some shooters can be.

At the same time, athletes (particularly college atheletes) improve all the time. They mature physically and mentally, and therefore, there is a "new mean" so to speak. Look no further than Ryan Anderson. Rant over.

eppy is using it the opposite way though, I think. He's saying (again I think) that it was stupid for people to peg him as a horrific shooter and his return to not being a horrific shooter is the regression to the mean. That doesn't strike me as sabermetric-y. That's just not ignoring an entire season in favor of 6 or 7 games.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:21 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

eppy is using it the opposite way though, I think. He's saying (again I think) that it was stupid for people to peg him as a horrific shooter and his return to not being a horrific shooter is the regression to the mean. That doesn't strike me as sabermetric-y. That's just not ignoring an entire season in favor of 6 or 7 games.

This. You all need to go back and review math. Even though the phrase is regression to the mean, it can be up or down. Jackson is a good shooter.

I'm beginning to agree/like 9903 recently. Scary proposition.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby bcbasketball20 on Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:53 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

This. You all need to go back and review math. Even though the phrase is regression to the mean, it can be up or down. Jackson is a good shooter.

next year i think jackson will be our 7th man getting about 15-20 minutes a game. thats where he should be. in the ACC he is a 7th man not a starter. i think he is capable of big games but is overall not that consistent, thats why he should be getting fewer minutes around 15 a game.
bcbasketball20
Carney Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:17 pm

bcbasketball20 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

next year i think jackson will be our 7th man getting about 15-20 minutes a game. thats where he should be. in the ACC he is a 7th man not a starter. i think he is capable of big games but is overall not that consistent, thats why he should be getting fewer minutes around 15 a game.

I disagree. First, I don't agree he's not an ACC starter but that is pretty arguable. Second, I disagree less if Jorgensen is a) signed and b) as good as advertised because Hanlan and Rahon aren't losing minutes. Third, in what I consider most likely scenario where our class is Owens, Dragevich and Kelly and/or a big and assuming Heckmann stays, I think a) if Owens can contribute on both sides of the floor immediately all potential guards and small forwards lose a few minutes as we play a ton of matchups or b) if Owens can't contribute right away Dragevich is going to see mostly Heckmann's current minutes (absent consistency from Heckmann). This is based mostly on the proposition that Donahue likes guards who have some ability to handle and pass and neither Heckmann nor Dragevich has shown any propensity for such things. I'd guess Jackson will lose some minutes under this instance but not the 15 you are suggesting. I see him ideally as a 20-22 minute a game player.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby HJS on Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:36 pm

I think the talent and depth will be solid next year (if the core of Jax, Rahon, Hanlan, Heck, Cliff, Anderson all remain). Even moreso if they add Kelly and/or Jorgensen. However, they need more bigs than just Anderson and Clifford. It's disappointing that the staff doesn't seem to agree.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby RedBaron67 on Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:51 am

HJS {l Wrote}:I think the talent and depth will be solid next year (if the core of Jax, Rahon, Hanlan, Heck, Cliff, Anderson all remain). Even moreso if they add Kelly and/or Jorgensen. However, they need more bigs than just Anderson and Clifford. It's disappointing that the staff doesn't seem to agree.

Donahue & Co. are in a bind over scholarship availabilty (if I may be forgiven for pointing out what has been pointed out umpteen times already). There are no bigs left in 2013 comparable to the bigs they're recruiting for 2014, and apparently they don't want to sacrifice the future just to plug a hole with a body. With so many holes to plug, they have to prioritize. The need for someone like Jorgenson in the backcourt (especially after Daniels' departure) is obvious. Kelly represents a combo-forward compromise in an attempt to address multiple needs up front. It's really frustrating that they have so little room for maneuver, but given the situation there are good reasons not to be going after a big for 2013 at this point. Even if transfer were to open up another slot, it might not make sense to go after a big other than another one-year case like Van Nest.
RedBaron67
Campion Hall

Postby claver2010 on Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:04 am

RedBaron67 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:I think the talent and depth will be solid next year (if the core of Jax, Rahon, Hanlan, Heck, Cliff, Anderson all remain). Even moreso if they add Kelly and/or Jorgensen. However, they need more bigs than just Anderson and Clifford. It's disappointing that the staff doesn't seem to agree.

Donahue & Co. are in a bind over scholarship availabilty (if I may be forgiven for pointing out what has been pointed out umpteen times already). There are no bigs left in 2013 comparable to the bigs they're recruiting for 2014, and apparently they don't want to sacrifice the future just to plug a hole with a body.

Forgive me as I'm not up on this all the time, but why?

Regardless of the Clifford injury, they're in practice everyday they must see that Caudill isn't usable. I know the traditional 2 G, 2 F, 1 C isn't exactly donahues ideal but its been clear for a while that we're thin on the front line. Before the departure of Daniels it should've been priority #1. Now with his departure those priorities change I understand and agree. But the whole despite need, we're not looking at someone for this year but look who we're recruiting for next year reeks of the Vonleh road we've been down before

Edit: not related but hearing Scott introduced reminded me of another :thehjs of mine

Why don't we recruit NYC at all? There's a shit ton of talent, much of which at catholic schools, and the distance isn't far at all
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby eagle9903 on Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:26 am

I know this doesn't fit the formula of "problem in athletic program exists = fault lies with person running program" but I find it pretty likely that the staff is aware that a backup big would make a huge difference and neither Caudill nor Van Nest is that guy. Moreover, I think the problem is that there are limited freshman bigs who can obviously contribute right away. BC for instance has recruited a grand total of 4 of them over the last 15 years in Agbai, Smith, Anderson and Clifford (I'm only counting PF and C). *** ******* was not very good as a freshman although a player like him would certainly have value same with Doornekamp but my point is that they are just as likely to be essentially useless in the Southern, Oates, Dudley (andrew), McClain, Ravenel, Dunn, Zoellner, Caudill mold as freshman.

The biggest loss of the Donahue era to date is this guy: http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/42530/travis-taylor. I acknowledge that a similarly situated player is not immediately helpful due to the sit out rule, but I hope we can get one underclassman transfer and grad transfer to help next year and the year following. Obviously the quality needs to be higher than Van Nest.

Kelly, if he signs, and a presumably stronger Odio will give some additional help as well. Although clearly not as a 5.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby Brablc on Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:26 am

RedBaron67 {l Wrote}:

Donahue & Co. are in a bind over scholarship availabilty (if I may be forgiven for pointing out what has been pointed out umpteen times already). There are no bigs left in 2013 comparable to the bigs they're recruiting for 2014, and apparently they don't want to sacrifice the future just to plug a hole with a body. With so many holes to plug, they have to prioritize. The need for someone like Jorgenson in the backcourt (especially after Daniels' departure) is obvious. Kelly represents a combo-forward compromise in an attempt to address multiple needs up front. It's really frustrating that they have so little room for maneuver, but given the situation there are good reasons not to be going after a big for 2013 at this point. Even if transfer were to open up another slot, it might not make sense to go after a big other than another one-year case like Van Nest.

Yeah, it will be interesting to see what we do with the last schollies. The big thing I'm wondering is if there will be any transfers from the current squad with Caudill and Heckman as the most obvious. At this point, I'd probably want Kelly over Jorgensen to give us some more height and frontline depth for next year (I also think the recruited walk-on Donahue might be able to spell a few breather minutes for the guards). We can then hopefully address the guard spot with a guy like Joseph in '14.
Brablc
McGuinn Hall

Postby bcbasketball20 on Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:10 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

I know this doesn't fit the formula of "problem in athletic program exists = fault lies with person running program" but I find it pretty likely that the staff is aware that a backup big would make a huge difference and neither Caudill nor Van Nest is that guy. Moreover, I think the problem is that there are limited freshman bigs who can obviously contribute right away. BC for instance has recruited a grand total of 4 of them over the last 15 years in Agbai, Smith, Anderson and Clifford (I'm only counting PF and C). *** ******* was not very good as a freshman although a player like him would certainly have value same with Doornekamp but my point is that they are just as likely to be essentially useless in the Southern, Oates, Dudley (andrew), McClain, Ravenel, Dunn, Zoellner, Caudill mold as freshman.

The biggest loss of the Donahue era to date is this guy: http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/42530/travis-taylor. I acknowledge that a similarly situated player is not immediately helpful due to the sit out rule, but I hope we can get one underclassman transfer and grad transfer to help next year and the year following. Obviously the quality needs to be higher than Van Nest.

Kelly, if he signs, and a presumably stronger Odio will give some additional help as well. Although clearly not as a 5.
Last edited by bcbasketball20 on Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bcbasketball20
Carney Hall

Postby bcbasketball20 on Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:12 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

i understand why people wouldn't want to say his name but can some one explain to me why there is only 3 symbols for sean's first name. there should be 4.
bcbasketball20
Carney Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:18 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

i understand why people wouldn't want to say his name but can some one explain to me why there is only 3 symbols for sean's first name. there should be 4.

Can someone explain to me why you said "there is only" instead of "there are only"?
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby bcbasketball20 on Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:28 pm

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

Can someone explain to me why you said "there is only" instead of "there are only"?

good job on the grammar. u must have gone to Boston College.
bcbasketball20
Carney Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:31 pm

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

Your answer was in the question. Don't hurt yourself.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby HJS on Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:30 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

I think that we can all agree that it is difficult to find a big who contributes immediately. But, that's partly why many of us were advocating for a big LAST YEAR (and again this). Since bigs often take time to develop, the more years you ignore them, the more you assure that Caudill will be the best we can do for depth.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby BCEaglesFan on Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:12 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

I think that we can all agree that it is difficult to find a big who contributes immediately. But, that's partly why many of us were advocating for a big LAST YEAR (and again this). Since bigs often take time to develop, the more years you ignore them, the more you assure that Caudill will be the best we can do for depth.

I think Don wants to play some 4-guard in the future, so he may play Kelly and Odio at the 5.
Follow me on twitter at @BeantownSports4 and at my new youtube channel BCEaglesHighlights http://www.youtube.com/user/BCEaglesHig ... ature=mhee
BCEaglesFan
Campion Hall

Postby bcbasketball20 on Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:50 pm

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

Your answer was in the question. Don't hurt yourself.

dont hurt yourself? might be time to re-evalutate things man.
bcbasketball20
Carney Hall

Postby Shaddix on Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:40 am

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

dork.
Shaddix
Campion Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:38 am

Losing Travis Taylor was bad. He's the exact player you're all calling for.

Had a double-double vs Cincinnati when I saw him
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:06 am

Shaddix {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

dork.

yep, you missed it too. wow, the h00ps weirdos are an especially dense crowd.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby Shaddix on Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:18 am

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
Shaddix {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

dork.

symbols is used in plural, therefore it is are instead of is, its a message board not an official newsletter
Shaddix
Campion Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:37 am

Shaddix {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
Shaddix {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

dork.

symbols is used in plural, therefore it is are instead of is, its a message board not an official newsletter

like I said, you missed it. (and still managed to get the reasoning - which I didn't care about one iota - wrong).
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby Shaddix on Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:02 pm

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
Shaddix {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
Shaddix {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

dork.

like I said, you missed it. (and still managed to get the reasoning - which I didn't care about one iota - wrong).

Unless I read it wrong, I am correct. (are + is are present tense verbs of "to be") symbols happens to be the noun that is verb is referring to. Are is used with a plural noun, is with a singular noun. Henceforth, it is are.
Shaddix
Campion Hall

Postby BCEagles66 on Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:30 pm

Think he kids referring to *** ******* himself. I could be wrong but guessing that's where Pedro was going. Implying the big troublesome fellow had trouble spelling?
BCEagles66
Carney Hall

Postby 2001Eagle on Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:51 pm

Shaddix and pedro have turned this thread into an full fledged abortion.
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:10 pm

Enes Kanter's little brother has re-classified from 2014 to 2013 and has picked up an offer from Pitt and BC. He's at one of the NEw England Prep Schools now (after spending the summer with NE Playaz). His highlight video makes him seem like your typical Euro low-post player: no athleticism, but crafty with positioning and not afraid to bang and rebound. I have no clue if he can defend, but he seems like a guy who can get you a bunch of garbage points (not unlike Chris Humphries for the Nets). That's a good thing for BC. If the staff thinks he has enough athleticism to defend, I think he would be the perfect addition to the class.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby NJM89 on Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:33 pm

Kaleb Joseph picked up a Cuse offer that can't be good.
NJM89
Campion Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:30 am

HJS {l Wrote}:Enes Kanter's little brother has re-classified from 2014 to 2013 and has picked up an offer from Pitt and BC. He's at one of the NEw England Prep Schools now (after spending the summer with NE Playaz). His highlight video makes him seem like your typical Euro low-post player: no athleticism, but crafty with positioning and not afraid to bang and rebound. I have no clue if he can defend, but he seems like a guy who can get you a bunch of garbage points (not unlike Chris Humphries for the Nets). That's a good thing for BC. If the staff thinks he has enough athleticism to defend, I think he would be the perfect addition to the class.

If Pitt offered him, I'm sure he's fine
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby BCEagles25 on Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:19 pm

NJM89 {l Wrote}:Kaleb Joseph picked up a Cuse offer that can't be good.

sure it is. he'll have a big ol' list of offers, and they'll all be baffled when he chooses this great school known to some as The Heights. confidence, baby.
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Conte Forum