Commits/Recruiting

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Commits/Recruiting

Postby MattTheEagle on Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:35 pm

Owens post-decision:

His coaches speak very highly of him.
MattTheEagle
Campion Hall

Postby bcmurph on Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:40 pm

FWIW Rivals lists Anderson as recruited by Nat Graham...
"Stay with this young team - there are great days ahead." Coach Donahue tweet 2/19/2012 -
bcmurph
McGuinn Hall

Postby Shaddix on Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:50 pm

MattTheEagle {l Wrote}:Owens post-decision:

I like those highlights better
Shaddix
Campion Hall

Postby 781 on Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:06 am

one example i can give about the "Jones Effect" in terms recruiting is how Rene Castro who was once heavily recruited by BC(offered) has BU in his final list of four schools.
n00b

Postby Shaddix on Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:10 am

Appareently Garland Owen's nickname is showtime....keep that going
Shaddix
Campion Hall

Postby Brablc on Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:51 am

Shaddix {l Wrote}:

I'm with you. Also like the soundbytes "great kid", "team first guy", "elite level defender" and "hard worker". Hopefully he can come in next year and give us some good back-up minutes at the 3 and 4.
Brablc
McGuinn Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:04 am

781 {l Wrote}:one example i can give about the "Jones Effect" in terms recruiting is how Rene Castro who was once heavily recruited by BC(offered) has BU in his final list of four schools.

He is a 2013 guard with a bunch of mid major offers and a Pitt offer (that's not a bad thing, but he's not on paper a program changer). While it's not inconceivable that Donahue really wanted him in this class but has lost him to Jones and an America East school, it appears more likely to me that our two guard 2012 class probably makes the position a little overweighted already.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby Shaddix on Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:24 am

Brablc {l Wrote}:
Shaddix {l Wrote}:

I'm with you. Also like the soundbytes "great kid", "team first guy", "elite level defender" and "hard worker". Hopefully he can come in next year and give us some good back-up minutes at the 3 and 4.

I also think that these highlights show that his shot is much better than we expected. His form is great...the Don can do a lot for him.
Shaddix
Campion Hall

Postby Brablc on Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:44 am

Shaddix {l Wrote}:
Brablc {l Wrote}:
Shaddix {l Wrote}:

I also think that these highlights show that his shot is much better than we expected. His form is great...the Don can do a lot for him.

Yes, I agree. I think the prep season will help as well.
Brablc
McGuinn Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:12 am

Brablc {l Wrote}:
Shaddix {l Wrote}:
Brablc {l Wrote}:
Shaddix {l Wrote}:

Yes, I agree. I think the prep season will help as well.

since he's in front of the Magruder hall of fame and his magruder coach is interviewed and some of the games (at least) he is wearing a Magruder jersey, is that all footage from before his prep year? I didn't watch the whole thing.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:22 am

Shaddix {l Wrote}:
Brablc {l Wrote}:
Shaddix {l Wrote}:

The last video showed that he has a nice fluid shooting motion. No idea where anyone got the idea that the kid is a bad shooter.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:32 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:The last video showed that he has a nice fluid shooting motion. No idea where anyone got the idea that the kid is a bad shooter.

I think people might have gotten it based on comments his former HS coach said that he should focus on perfecting his jump shot. First, I don't think anyone has said anything but this kid is a very good recruit for us and what our team needs. Second, the concerns about his shot seemed to be met with "so the eff what?" That was mainly because, he has such great athleticism and aggressiveness that you don't want him passively settling for 20-footers. Also, if Don has shown anything in his time at BC, it is that he is pretty good at helping kids with their shot. Owens perfectly fits what Don is trying to do.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:35 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:The last video showed that he has a nice fluid shooting motion. No idea where anyone got the idea that the kid is a bad shooter.

I think people might have gotten it based on comments his former HS coach said that he should focus on perfecting his jump shot. First, I don't think anyone has said anything but this kid is a very good recruit for us and what our team needs. Second, the concerns about his shot seemed to be met with "so the eff what?" That was mainly because, he has such great athleticism and aggressiveness that you don't want him passively settling for 20-footers. Also, if Don has shown anything in his time at BC, it is that he is pretty good at helping kids with their shot. Owens perfectly fits what Don is trying to do.

Agree completely. This recruit has something we don't have on the current roster - lights out athleticism from a slashing 3.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby vegasEagle on Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:45 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

Agree completely. This recruit has something we don't have on the current roster - lights out athleticism from a slashing 3.

Owens should be fun to watch especially if the Don wants an up-tempo pace.
2020 E.O. PICK EM CHAMPION
2021 E.O. PICK EM CHAMPION
vegasEagle
Campion Hall

Postby HJS on Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:50 am

vegasEagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

Agreed. But... Teddy, what is it that you need to effectively run at the up-tempo pace???
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby vegasEagle on Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:52 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
vegasEagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

Agreed. But... Teddy, what is it that you need to effectively run at the up-tempo pace???

Wasnt rebounding the topic of the day yesterday? Todays topic is slashing and dunking.
2020 E.O. PICK EM CHAMPION
2021 E.O. PICK EM CHAMPION
vegasEagle
Campion Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:53 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
vegasEagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

5 star New England Recruits!!!11
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:57 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
vegasEagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

Defensive rebounding. Which is why I agree with you that they need another 4.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:35 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
vegasEagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

I agree 100% with this.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:44 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
vegasEagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

I agree 100% with this.

and I still do not and the world keeps turning.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby QuailMan on Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:19 am

Adam Finkelstein ‏@FinkelsteinNERR

ESPN: Samuel Dingba (Salisbury School - CT) will do post-grad year at Salisbury following his graduation in June.

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/ncbrecr ... st?id=4205
QuailMan
Carney Hall

Postby Shaddix on Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:39 am

QuailMan {l Wrote}:Adam Finkelstein ‏@FinkelsteinNERR

ESPN: Samuel Dingba (Salisbury School - CT) will do post-grad year at Salisbury following his graduation in June.

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/ncbrecr ... st?id=4205

That's good news
Shaddix
Campion Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:42 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
vegasEagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

I agree 100% with this.

I would add depth. "Defensive rebounding and depth" are the two primary keys to a fast break offense.

Everyone is going to extol the virtues of a PG and three guard offense in the break, but frankly, the best fast breaks do not involve pounding the rock. While Magic Johnson reformed the NBA fastbreak into "PG pounds rock up the middle of the floor while wings run the lane and center and PF trail," Red Auerbach wants to see you run the break without putting it on the deck. Starts with the rebound and the outlet pass.

Good breaking teams run their 3-0 and 5-0 break drills with a two dribble maximum. And that's just to take the outlet pass to the middle of the floor to open up both wings.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eagle9903 on Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:06 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
vegasEagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

I agree 100% with this.

I would add depth. "Defensive rebounding and depth" are the two primary keys to a fast break offense.

Everyone is going to extol the virtues of a PG and three guard offense in the break, but frankly, the best fast breaks do not involve pounding the rock. While Magic Johnson reformed the NBA fastbreak into "PG pounds rock up the middle of the floor while wings run the lane and center and PF trail," Red Auerbach wants to see you run the break without putting it on the deck. Starts with the rebound and the outlet pass.

Good breaking teams run their 3-0 and 5-0 break drills with a two dribble maximum. And that's just to take the outlet pass to the middle of the floor to open up both wings.

I've gotten confused (seriously not being snarky). Do we think this is going to be a 1994 Arizona like team? If so, why? If not isn't up tempo just a look we can go into for periods of time, not 40 minutes a game? While Clifford is mobile for a 7 footer, I think he's probably more suited for a half court set, no? and I imagine he will play no less than 25/game. If we're only looking at going small (say Anderson at C, Owens -when he's here, Heckmann, Hanlan and Daniels) for 5-10 per game, how much additional depth does that require? I forget how this conversation got here.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:18 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
vegasEagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

I agree 100% with this.

I've gotten confused (seriously not being snarky). Do we think this is going to be a 1994 Arizona like team? If so, why? If not isn't up tempo just a look we can go into for periods of time, not 40 minutes a game? While Clifford is mobile for a 7 footer, I think he's probably more suited for a half court set, no? and I imagine he will play no less than 25/game. If we're only looking at going small (say Anderson at C, Owens -when he's here, Heckmann, Hanlan and Daniels) for 5-10 per game, how much additional depth does that require? I forget how this conversation got here.

They are going to push the ball. This hasn't been a huge secret.

Anderson at center is idiotic. One last time: no rebound, no break. And break = forwards not playing as many minutes.

BC needs another PF to play any sort of style that results in the pace and scoring increase projections that came out of the Don's own mouth for this season.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:27 pm

Donahue had to slow down the offense last year so his team could stay competitive, but this year he’s looking to pick up the pace so he can get these players to work the same way his Sweet 16 team did at Cornell.

“We have to play a whole lot faster than we did last year,” Donahue said. “So that was our first chance to get the guys, and we ran a ton of stuff full court. For us to play the way we’re going to have to continue to try to play is to make sure that in practice we’re going as hard as we can for as long as we can to build up the cardio fitness, because I thought that was an issue with so many of the young guys last year – that we’d kind of run out of gas and then I’d have to find out a way to play a little slower to keep us in the game a lot longer.”

That conditioning that held the team back last year has already made a significant leap heading into the 2012-2013 campaign.

“I think they’ve done an incredible job over the last six months building themselves up strength-wise and cardio fitness-wise,” Donahue said. “Every single guy is so much more along than they were a year ago. It’s just amazing.”

“I try to see a couple key things,” Donahue said. “Their ability to play fast and play the way we want to play, which is getting great shots as quick as you can, and playing for 40 minutes. And we weren’t great the first game and our legs weren’t really there, but for the most part I thought they learned from that first game and came back from that struggle. The first game was kind of getting used to two new players in Joe [Rahon] and O [Hanlan], and two new players playing a lot because that’s 40 percent of your lineup even though they’re only two new pieces.“

Donahue also had to have his players adjust to a 24-second shot clock.

“When you have a 24-second clock, you just don’t have the luxury of messing around with the ball,” Donahue said. “You’ve got to get into something. You’ve got to attack, and that’s how we want to play anyway. So I think that it became second nature after a while, and it’s something we’ll probably continue to do because we’ve always done that. We’ve played with a 16-second clock, a 20-second, 24-second, just so you get into that mentality of attacking before the defense is set, which I think is critical for how we play.”
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eagle9903 on Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:37 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
vegasEagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

I agree 100% with this.

Anderson at center is idiotic. One last time: no rebound, no break. And break = forwards not playing as many minutes.

BC needs another PF to play any sort of style that results in the pace and scoring increase projections that came out of the Don's own mouth for this season.

he said they would pick up the pace from last year.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:38 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
vegasEagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

I agree 100% with this.

That's a grotesque understatement of his quotes. They practice with 15 second shot clocks.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eagle9903 on Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:40 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
vegasEagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

I agree 100% with this.

That's a grotesque understatement of his quotes. They practice with 15 second shot clocks.

You're reading too much into the quotes. He's fixing a problem to get it closer to normal game speed, not advocating 40 minutes of hell.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:46 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
vegasEagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

I agree 100% with this.

You're reading too much into the quotes. He's fixing a problem to get it closer to normal game speed, not advocating 40 minutes of hell.

You're wrong.
twballgame9
BC Guy

PreviousNext

Return to Conte Forum