Commits/Recruiting

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Commits/Recruiting

Postby eagle9903 on Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:09 pm

also to further fagtag my own post. As an aside Rashard Kelly is 17 whereas all the other Massanutten players are 5th year players. Kelly averages 12 and 8.

As of 1/21 his coach said BC was "recruiting him the hardest" this article predates the most recent one with the "Seton Hall is my main school, i wouldnt say my favorite" line by about a month.

http://news.fredericksburg.com/sports/2013/01/21/prep-basketball-former-charger-excels/
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby larrydoby on Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:11 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
larrydoby {l Wrote}:
BCHerbert {l Wrote}:Don never offered Niang. He wasn't a fit for the offense. Maybe Graham, Woody Harrelson, and Waheed can get off their asses and land a couple of athletic bigs.

I read that a lot on this site. How can Niang not be a fit for Donahue's offense ? What's wrong with him?

I think the "non-fit" thing is stupid lazy analysis like 99% of this thread. The posters saying it are the one's who think Donahue wants face the basket bigs only (because IVY league!!) who rely on shooting as opposed to post moves to score even though neither Anderson nor Clifford (healthy) plays that way. Instead Niang was probably not a recruiting priority because the best recruit in the class that had just ended played the same position, neither is big enough to play center (although one now does) and 7 scholarships had just been allocated to said class that just ended.

He also was under the radar before ISU offered him (and then he signed almost immediately), with UMass, URI, Siena, Northeastern, George Mason, Hofstra, FAU and Delaware type offers. So it could have just been a miss.

Oh yeah, and he played for Papile at BABC.

I agree that he was under the radar, but aren't most of the kids he recruits? Plus, this one was in his own backyard.BC has started four guards in a lot of games. If this guy's the genuis people seem to think he is, he should be able to figure how to play two 6-7 power forward types together.
larrydoby
n00b

Postby eagle9903 on Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:18 pm

larrydoby {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
larrydoby {l Wrote}:
BCHerbert {l Wrote}:Don never offered Niang. He wasn't a fit for the offense. Maybe Graham, Woody Harrelson, and Waheed can get off their asses and land a couple of athletic bigs.

I read that a lot on this site. How can Niang not be a fit for Donahue's offense ? What's wrong with him?

I think the "non-fit" thing is stupid lazy analysis like 99% of this thread. The posters saying it are the one's who think Donahue wants face the basket bigs only (because IVY league!!) who rely on shooting as opposed to post moves to score even though neither Anderson nor Clifford (healthy) plays that way. Instead Niang was probably not a recruiting priority because the best recruit in the class that had just ended played the same position, neither is big enough to play center (although one now does) and 7 scholarships had just been allocated to said class that just ended.

He also was under the radar before ISU offered him (and then he signed almost immediately), with UMass, URI, Siena, Northeastern, George Mason, Hofstra, FAU and Delaware type offers. So it could have just been a miss.

Oh yeah, and he played for Papile at BABC.

I agree that he was under the radar, but aren't most of the kids he recruits? Plus, this one was in his own backyard.BC has started four guards in a lot of games. If this guy's the genuis people seem to think he is, he should be able to figure how to play two 6-7 power forward types together.

I'm not really sure how to answer this. So instead, what?
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby Iggle on Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:27 pm

Since the whole point of recruiting and playing a certain way is to get players that compliment the style on the court and fit in well, I'm not too concerned that Donahue didn't pursue someone who he would have to coach around, to a certain extent. Far more worried that he won't secure any of the players who he does want.
zzz
Iggle
Campion Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:28 pm

Iggle {l Wrote}:Since the whole point of recruiting and playing a certain way is to get players that compliment the style on the court and fit in well, I'm not too concerned that Donahue didn't pursue someone who he would have to coach around, to a certain extent. Far more worried that he won't secure any of the players who he does want this year, which hasn't ended yet.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby Iggle on Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:54 pm

Never said that there wasn't time to get it done.
zzz
Iggle
Campion Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:28 pm

Iggle {l Wrote}:Never said that there wasn't time to get it done.

fair enough.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:23 am

Hicks is in the final 5 for Mr Kentucky Basketball
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby RedBaron67 on Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:02 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:Hicks is in the final 5 for Mr Kentucky Basketball

One more sign that he's starting to blow up again at the end of his HS career. As I said before, Hicks would be a spectacular steal for BC; what we have to worry about now are other high majors jumping in or reconnecting at the last minute.
RedBaron67
Campion Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:55 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

fair enough.

Good players usually sign by the first LOI day last November. Regular period ends in about a month. It's pretty much over and we still have Owens, who I like, and no players at the two positions of need.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eagle9903 on Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:37 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

fair enough.

Good players usually sign by the first LOI day last November. Regular period ends in about a month. It's pretty much over and we still have Owens, who I like, and no players at the two positions of need.

A chronic and potentially chronically debilitating injury to the center, which shows itself to be potentially chronically debilitating right before the november LOI day probably creates an extenuating circumstance.

None other than John Oates was a late signing day signee.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby Shaddix on Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:43 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

fair enough.

Look up Russell Westbrook
Shaddix
Campion Hall

Postby BCEaglesFan on Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:45 pm

Shaddix {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

fair enough.

And Jared Dudley
Follow me on twitter at @BeantownSports4 and at my new youtube channel BCEaglesHighlights http://www.youtube.com/user/BCEaglesHig ... ature=mhee
BCEaglesFan
Campion Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:52 pm

BCEaglesFan {l Wrote}:
Shaddix {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

fair enough.

And Jared Dudley

I think Dudley verballed before the first signing day, I don't think he signed until the late day.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:02 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

fair enough.

A chronic and potentially chronically debilitating injury to the center, which shows itself to be potentially chronically debilitating right before the november LOI day probably creates an extenuating circumstance.

None other than John Oates was a late signing day signee.

do we have any photos of him sticking it in late?
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby bcmurph on Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:04 pm

I think Dudley verballed before the first signing day, I don't think he signed until the late day.

Didn't Dudley only decide to forego Prep school in August after Coleman decided to bolt for Minnesota?

Jordan Daniels was a late signee, though... ;)
"Stay with this young team - there are great days ahead." Coach Donahue tweet 2/19/2012 -
bcmurph
McGuinn Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:09 pm

bcmurph {l Wrote}:

Didn't Dudley only decide to forego Prep school in August after Coleman decided to bolt for Minnesota?

Yep, but August is pre-early signing day. So he verballed when Coleman bolted and then waited to sign his LOI for a long time.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby bcmurph on Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:10 pm

I think he decided in August and came THAT September....
"Stay with this young team - there are great days ahead." Coach Donahue tweet 2/19/2012 -
bcmurph
McGuinn Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:17 pm

bcmurph {l Wrote}:I think he decided in August and came THAT September....

Oh, that does sound right. I am relying on TOS' recruiting database thing and assuming things I should not be. So he would be the equivalent of adding Garland Owens last year right before the season to the 2012 class instead of Owens going to Massannutten.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby 31southst on Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:25 pm

As much fun as it is to point out a few examples where TW is wrong, as a general matter, I think his point is a valid one. Of course nothing's absolute and there's still time but that doesn't mean we're in a good position.
31southst
Cushing Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:30 pm

31southst {l Wrote}:As much fun as it is to point out a few examples where TW is wrong, as a general matter, I think his point is a valid one. Of course nothing's absolute and there's still time but that doesn't mean we're in a good position.

I'm sorry to interrupt the important business that was otherwise going on in the recruiting thread. By all means get back to:

domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby bcmurph on Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:33 pm

31southst {l Wrote}:As much fun as it is to point out a few examples where TW is wrong, as a general matter, I think his point is a valid one. Of course nothing's absolute and there's still time but that doesn't mean we're in a good position.

Wouldn't argue with any of that...
bcmurph
McGuinn Hall

Postby Shaddix on Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:35 pm

Obviously the highest rated recruits do...but how often are they correct? I understand it but don't necessarily agree with it. The four guys left we are looking at are Severe, Hicks, Kelly, and Reynolds. Severe has legit offers, Hicks once had offers from Arizona and Indiana, Kelly plays on the #1 team in the country, and Reynolds is on postgrad year. It's not like we are plucking a recruit away from Umass or BU
Last edited by Shaddix on Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shaddix
Campion Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:36 pm

bcmurph {l Wrote}:

for the record neither would I, if Teddy hadn't said it was pretty much over. They clearly have an immediate need that they didn't have before the first signing day. That is not the normal progression of recruiting.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:44 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

fair enough.

They've identified decent enough targets. Question is can they land em
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:00 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

fair enough.

They've identified decent enough targets. Question is can they land em

I am sure that we can all identify a handful of guys that could make an impact if we could land them. Fact is that under normal circumstances, BC would have its class locked up by now, Jared Dudley getting a schollie because Dan Coleman decided to stay home notwithstanding.

And BC needed a big desperately even if Clifford were healthy. His injury is no excuse for not landing one earlier. Besides, he'll be a junior when the new guy would be a frosh.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:01 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
bcmurph {l Wrote}:

Yep, but August is pre-early signing day. So he verballed when Coleman bolted and then waited to sign his LOI for a long time.

I am pretty sure it was the following August that Dudley committed, as in about 3 weeks before class started.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby 31southst on Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:29 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
bcmurph {l Wrote}:

for the record neither would I, if Teddy hadn't said it was pretty much over. They clearly have an immediate need that they didn't have before the first signing day. That is not the normal progression of recruiting.

My point was more I dislike people pointing to one random example (e.g., Dudley) as a way to supposedly disprove something that is largely true (BC generally signs its better recruits early). It's similar to how I get annoyed when people point to Jamie Silva or Doug Flutie as absolute proof that football recruit rankings don't matter.
31southst
Cushing Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:33 pm

31southst {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
bcmurph {l Wrote}:

My point was more I dislike people pointing to one random example (e.g., Dudley) as a way to supposedly disprove something that is largely true (BC generally signs its better recruits early). It's similar to how I get annoyed when people point to Jamie Silva or Doug Flutie as absolute proof that football recruit rankings don't matter.

BJ Raja.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby 31southst on Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:33 pm

Shaddix {l Wrote}:

Obviously the highest rated recruits do...but how often are they correct? I understand it but don't necessarily agree with it. The four guys left we are looking at are Severe, Hicks, Kelly, and Reynolds. Severe has legit offers, Hicks once had offers from Arizona and Indiana, Kelly plays on the #1 team in the country, and Reynolds is on postgrad year. It's not like we are plucking a recruit away from Umass or BU

I don't know about this last part. My knowledge of bball recruiting is basically limited to this thread but are these guys generally well-regarded? Severe clearly is. Does Hicks still have legit offers, because I thought we're competing with FIU and WKU (this is a legit question, I'm not being sarcastic)? Have we even offered Reynolds/who else has? Aren't Kelly's other offers SHU and Utah? I grant these are power conference schools (well SHU who knows) but they're not exactly bball factories.
31southst
Cushing Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Conte Forum