Commits/Recruiting

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Commits/Recruiting

Postby HJS on Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:21 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
BCEaglesFan {l Wrote}:
Shaddix {l Wrote}:Kanter and Reynolds will both decide in April btw. My big men rankings are probably 1. Reynolds 2. Kelly 3. Kanter

Can I have a source for that? I can't find anything...

Also, If anyone wants the Recruiting Notebook, here's basically what it says:
1. Publicly Jorgenson said he didn't care about playing time, but privately people think that was a huge part of his decision.
2. BC's 3 guard targets are now Darryl Hicks, Jon Severe and Jalen Norman. All are 2's but have the handle to play the 1.
3. Rashard Kelly looked like the most likely big man to pick BC, but there's talk now that he's really started to seriously consider reclassifying (along w/picking BC).
4. Other big men BC is recruiting are Darryl Reynolds, Skye Johnson (Couldn't find anything on him besides he has an offer from GW), and Thomas Hamilton
5. Ian Sistate, Josh Sharma, Sam Donahue, and Paschal Chukwu all made the trip for the Duke game.

Thomas Hamilton can't be someone with real interest right?

As far as I can tell, Hamilton is your quintessential enigmatic big man. All the skills, build and talent to be elite... but questionable head and motivation. He also has a long history of injuries. I can't find anything about his current team and whether he is even seeing regular minutes. But, the lack of court time has been a problem for him. He was supposedly sent to IMG Academy to (a) get his grades in order and (b) develop a work ethic. Hard to excel at BC without either of those. That said... at this point... if he can get in academically (big IF), he is certainly worth a flier. If the light ever goes on, he could be exactly what the team need.

Speaking of what the team needs... any chance they can as Chukwu to reclassify to 2013. We could use him immediately.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:23 am

bcmurph {l Wrote}:
Stanford Robinson (red jersey) and Mark Alstork (white jersey) went head to head at the 2013 Flyin To The Hoop event in Dayton, Ohio. Findlay Prep came into the event as the #1 team in the country and proved that they deserved their ranking as they beat Thurgood Marshall by a score of 71-47. Robinson who is headed to Indiana next year finished with 16 points and 8 rebounds while Alstork put 23 points on Findlay.

no objections to an offer.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:25 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
BCEaglesFan {l Wrote}:
Shaddix {l Wrote}:Kanter and Reynolds will both decide in April btw. My big men rankings are probably 1. Reynolds 2. Kelly 3. Kanter

1. Publicly Jorgenson said he didn't care about playing time, but privately people think that was a huge part of his decision.
2. BC's 3 guard targets are now Darryl Hicks, Jon Severe and Jalen Norman. All are 2's but have the handle to play the 1.
3. Rashard Kelly looked like the most likely big man to pick BC, but there's talk now that he's really started to seriously consider reclassifying (along w/picking BC).
4. Other big men BC is recruiting are Darryl Reynolds, Skye Johnson (Couldn't find anything on him besides he has an offer from GW), and Thomas Hamilton
5. Ian Sistate, Josh Sharma, Sam Donahue, and Paschal Chukwu all made the trip for the Duke game.

As far as I can tell, Hamilton is your quintessential enigmatic big man. All the skills, build and talent to be elite... but questionable head and motivation. He also has a long history of injuries. I can't find anything about his current team and whether he is even seeing regular minutes. But, the lack of court time has been a problem for him. He was supposedly sent to IMG Academy to (a) get his grades in order and (b) develop a work ethic. Hard to excel at BC without either of those. That said... at this point... if he can get in academically (big IF), he is certainly worth a flier. If the light ever goes on, he could be exactly what the team need.

Speaking of what the team needs... any chance they can as Chukwu to reclassify to 2013. We could use him immediately.

I meant more the offer sheet combined with the lack of information prior to today. I definitely think he'd be worth a flier, but he has MSU, NC State and Illinois offers and I've never heard of him before in the context of BC recruiting so I don't think we were in on him early. I could have certainly missed earlier mentions of him in which case my post is based on a wrong assumption.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby HJS on Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:52 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
BCEaglesFan {l Wrote}:

I meant more the offer sheet combined with the lack of information prior to today. I definitely think he'd be worth a flier, but he has MSU, NC State and Illinois offers and I've never heard of him before in the context of BC recruiting so I don't think we were in on him early. I could have certainly missed earlier mentions of him in which case my post is based on a wrong assumption.

I don't think those offers are real (or exist anymore). I think he is been mentioned more recently with DePaul and Bradley. And... yes... I think we are coming in very late on him.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:59 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
BCEaglesFan {l Wrote}:

I don't think those offers are real (or exist anymore). I think he is been mentioned more recently with DePaul and Bradley. And... yes... I think we are coming in very late on him.

He kind of sounds like Caudill. He was huge when he was really early on in high school and as you said never seems to have put it together.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby Shaddix on Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:39 am

BCEaglesFan {l Wrote}:

SPRINGFIELD, Mass. -- Back in December, during the BasketBull Hoops Fest, Wilbraham & Monson forward Kerem Kanter landed scholarship offers from Boston College and Pittsburgh.
On Friday, through Twitter, he announced he would reclassify and join the Class of 2013.

“I just thought it was time to move up,” said Kanter on Saturday following a loss to Worcester Academy, as part of the 2013 Hoophall Classic. “I felt like I will be ready by the time next year comes.”

Kanter, the younger brother of Utah Jazz center Enes Kanter, says he will decide on a college sometime in April. The 6-foot-7 forward is still working on visits, but intends on taking several before he makes a commitment. He listed Miami (Fla.), Auburn, Tulsa, and Drexel as other schools involved in his recruitment.

Kanter has been impressive this season for Wilbraham & Monson with his footwork and ability to score around the basket. Due to the size of the Titans, Kanter has also been able to step away from the basket and show off his shooting touch.

He joins Kamali Bey as WMA seniors still on the board.

HOLYOKE, Mass. -- Worcester Academy 2013 power forward Darryl Reynolds said he played with a chip on shoulder. In a win against Cheshire Academy on Thursday - as part of the BasketBull Hoops Fest - Reynolds finished 22 points and dominated the offensive glass for Worcester.
In his first year, following a career at Lower Merion High School in Philadelphia, Reynolds has interest from mid majors and much of the Atlantic 10, but has yet to land an offer from one of the major conferences.
Boston College (who was in attendance), Providence, and Arizona State have all shown interest at some point, according to Reynolds. He currently holds offers from St. Bonaventure, Rhode Island, Fairfield, along with several oher A10 and mid majors.
"I'm new to the scene," said the 6-foot-8 forward. "I'm not worried about the whole college thing. I'm not going to make my decision until April."
"There's a lot of schools floating around. None of that matters, I just need to keep playing my game."
On Thursday, in a game that was low on energy - given that players were on the verge of a break after a semester of classes - Reynolds was active on both ends of the floor. He has great size and still remains pretty mobile. Worcester had a noticable size advantage and Reynolds was a consistent presence in the paint, using his size and footwork to get in good positions for offensive rebounds. His production on the glass led to numerous offensive rebounds and second-chance points for Worcester
Matt Cimino, Reynolds' teammate and a 2014 recruit, already has some high major offers, including Boston College and Kansas State. Stanford, Providence, and Notre Dame are also starting to express interest in the 6-foot-10 big man. However, Cimino isn't expected to make any major announcements until the AAU season.
"Going into to the spring and towards the end of summer I'll definitely have some favorites," said Cimino.

nehoopnews.com
Shaddix
Campion Hall

Postby HJS on Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:23 pm

Sounds like we've offered Kanter but not yet Reynolds.

Seems that that the staff feel Kanter and Kelly are priority 1 and Reynolds and Hamilton are back-ups. I've gotta say that it surprises me a little as all the write-ups on Reynolds seem to point to him being a tough, physical big... which is something I would love to see on the team. But, beggars can't be choosers and they have to make sure they close on at least one of them.
Last edited by HJS on Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby GT BoSox on Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:38 pm

According to 247, Alstork's leaders at this point are Drake (Leader), Radford, BC, Maryland.
http://www.yourtwopennies.com/forum/forum.php - Sports Talk That Makes Cents!
GT BoSox
Carney Hall

Postby BCEaglesFan on Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:25 pm

GT BoSox {l Wrote}:According to 247, Alstork's leaders at this point are Drake (Leader), Radford, BC, Maryland.

BC and UMD haven't offered yet.

His full name is Mark Alstork. SG from Dayton, Ohio. Offers from mostly mid-majors.
Follow me on twitter at @BeantownSports4 and at my new youtube channel BCEaglesHighlights http://www.youtube.com/user/BCEaglesHig ... ature=mhee
BCEaglesFan
Campion Hall

Postby RedBaron67 on Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:18 pm

sweetriverbaines {l Wrote}:http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_22606947/prep-basketball-recruit-reid-travis-im-very-determined

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/191530021.html

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/baske ... eid-travis

Travis would obviously be a terrific get, and he matches up well academically with BC, but as a top-50 player (with his home-state school all out to get him) he's a really tough recruiting proposition, even more so because he's also a high-major recruit in football (quarterback). One piece of bad news: his older brother plays for Harvard. Donahue & Co. would have to turn their recruiting performance upside down to get Travis.
RedBaron67
Campion Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:43 pm

RedBaron67 {l Wrote}:
sweetriverbaines {l Wrote}:http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_22606947/prep-basketball-recruit-reid-travis-im-very-determined

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/191530021.html

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/baske ... eid-travis

Travis would obviously be a terrific get, and he matches up well academically with BC, but as a top-50 player (with his home-state school all out to get him) he's a really tough recruiting proposition, even more so because he's also a high-major recruit in football (quarterback). One piece of bad news: his older brother plays for Harvard. Donahue & Co. would have to turn their recruiting performance upside down to get Travis.

Best of luck on that one Steve. Having a feel he'll be a Gopher
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby 31southst on Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:47 pm

Looks like Donahue is going to see Severe and Severe is mentioning wanting to visit BC (in addition to Alabama and WVU). Seems like he's the only high level guard we're in on, so hopefully it works out. After all, we need to recruit Hanlan's replacement when he turns pro at the end of the year.
31southst
Cushing Hall

Postby Shaddix on Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:49 pm

31southst {l Wrote}:Looks like Donahue is going to see Severe and Severe is mentioning wanting to visit BC (in addition to Alabama and WVU). Seems like he's the only high level guard we're in on, so hopefully it works out. After all, we need to recruit Hanlan's replacement when he turns pro at the end of the year.

Severe is legit.....like I think he's Hanlan legit. I do think WVU has the inside track, but anything can happen with a visit. Also, BC should NEVER lose a recruit to WVU, especially in basketball with the ACC going to be so strong in the coming years
Shaddix
Campion Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:13 pm

Severe would be fantastic. Donahue is watching him tonight. Visiting Bama on Feb 25-26.

Darius Thompson just backed off his Vandy commitment. Wonder if BC will get involved. 6'4 PG

Abu Malik received an offer from Florida today further confirming he isn't coming here
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby RedBaron67 on Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:09 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:Severe would be fantastic. Donahue is watching him tonight. Visiting Bama on Feb 25-26.

Darius Thompson just backed off his Vandy commitment. Wonder if BC will get involved. 6'4 PG

Abu Malik received an offer from Florida today further confirming he isn't coming here

I'm pleasantly surprised that BC has gotten this far with Severe (who would indeed be a valuable acquisition). Still, he says he's going to cut down to a short list after the Alabama visit; we'll have to see if BC makes the cut.

Darius Thompson (who is, I believe, a SG) thinks he pulled the trigger too fast with Vanderbilt, and plans to take his time now. BC was interested in him last summer, but never offered, so it might be tricky to jump back into the competition at this point. If Thompson is really wide open, though, he's probably worth another look; he has a respectable list of high-major offers (Auburn, NC State, Purdue, Tennessee).

Abdul-Malik Abu was long gone even before Florida offered. He's a top-50 player pursued by the upper crust of high majors; BC is very clearly off his list. The interesting question is whether some lucky program will collect Abu and Terrell as a package.
RedBaron67
Campion Hall

Postby BCEaglesFan on Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:36 pm

http://www.nationalrecruitingspotlight. ... ification/

Rashard Kelly update.

Weird that he now says Seton Hall is his "main choice" but not his favorite. Says no one really is in first. Still lists BC as one of the hardest schools recruiting him but it seems recently Seton Hall and Utah have come on.

If they're deflecting attention away from him (and that's an if), my guess is it's toward Reynolds and/or Hamilton.
Follow me on twitter at @BeantownSports4 and at my new youtube channel BCEaglesHighlights http://www.youtube.com/user/BCEaglesHig ... ature=mhee
BCEaglesFan
Campion Hall

Postby sweetriverbaines on Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:56 pm

sweetriverbaines
n00b

Postby eepstein0 on Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:16 am

Kelly seems to be fading away.

Severe is going to be tough, but would be a hell of a get. We need to get him up to campus on an official
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Cadillac90 on Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:19 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:Kelly seems to be fading away.

Serious question: if Donahue doesn't land Kelly or any other legit 4 or 5, how big of a recruiting failure would it be? If he can get another good guard, will that make up the difference? I still think it is imperative to get a serviceable big this year to build some depth. The team can't afford another injury prone year from Clifford and playing Anderson at center.
Cadillac90
Cushing Hall

Postby footer20 on Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:42 pm

Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:Kelly seems to be fading away.

Serious question: if Donahue doesn't land Kelly or any other legit 4 or 5, how big of a recruiting failure would it be? If he can get another good guard, will that make up the difference? I still think it is imperative to get a serviceable big this year to build some depth. The team can't afford another injury prone year from Clifford and playing Anderson at center.

I think Donahue will address the big man problem through...
1) a under-the-radar recruit. Their favorite is Kanter, but I think we'll end up with Reynolds (who might be a lot like Odio) 2) a transfer that can play right away. Someone like Van Nest. This guy doesn't have to be great assuming Dennis returns to full health next year.
footer20
McGuinn Hall

Postby Shaddix on Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:02 pm

Donahue is the worst recruiter ever. Hopefully he offers Darryl Reynolds soon before he loses him. Kelly is taking too long
Shaddix
Campion Hall

Postby BCEagles25 on Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:18 pm

From his recruiting description, Reynolds is far more like Craig Smith than Odio. I'd take him over Kelly, Severe, and Kanter. But any of them would be great
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby Shaddix on Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:23 pm

I'd like BC to recruit Darryl Hicks a little more. I don't see us getting Severe
Shaddix
Campion Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:38 pm

BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:From his recruiting description, Reynolds is far more like Craig Smith than Odio. I'd take him over Kelly, Severe, and Kanter. But any of them would be great

Reynolds isn't Craig Smith. Try again
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:43 pm

He's a lot more like Smith than Odio. Except he's taller than Smith.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eagle9903 on Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:45 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:From his recruiting description, Reynolds is far more like Craig Smith than Odio. I'd take him over Kelly, Severe, and Kanter. But any of them would be great

Reynolds isn't Craig Smith. Try again

I'm surprised you noticed. Does this mean your analysis cheat sheet has expanded?

domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby BCEaglesFan on Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:51 pm

Just saying, you guys realize that if they don't get a big man in the recruiting class they can get a 5th year transfer?
BCEaglesFan
Campion Hall

Postby claver2010 on Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:55 pm

BCEaglesFan {l Wrote}:Just saying, you guys realize that if they don't get a big man in the recruiting class they can get a 5th year transfer?

h00ps weird0s attended spaz's school of lowering expectations?

:81
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:56 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:He's a lot more like Smith than Odio. Except he's taller than Smith.

Thought Reynolds was a shot-blocking rebounder. Isn't that Odio?
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Conte Forum