Commits/Recruiting

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Commits/Recruiting

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:46 pm

branchinator {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
branchinator {l Wrote}:
BCEaglesFan {l Wrote}:
branchinator {l Wrote}:The Captain closes worse than his team.

Someone's a little mad at a 1-point loss to Duke

It's not like Jorgenson would've started anyway...this is a loss though. Pretty surprising, people thought BC and Creighton were the favorites.

No, I was psyched about our almost-win against a good team. Just like our almost-recruiting win for a good player that we need. Hooray for Donahue! Ice cream and trophies for everyone!

This is hysterical. BC needs a guard who can play 15-20 min next year.

The Norman offer should confirm Heckmann is history

Yes, just like BC only needed a big man this year who could play 15-20 minutes and spell Clifford/Anderson...

I don't remember anyone saying "only", at least not after Daniels left.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby MattTheEagle on Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:46 am

Shaddix {l Wrote}:
BC923 {l Wrote}:can anybody give me an update on any >6'7" people we might sign this year? I've been out of the recruiting loop

Just Rashard Kelly, we will most likely get him

I'd be really happy if we landed Kelly, but I am pretty sure Kelly is exactly 6'7". We really need a Center, Anderson is an excellent PF but an awful Center. Right now all we have for Center players are out-of-shape 0-minute Caudill and injured Clifford.
MattTheEagle
Campion Hall

Postby RedBaron67 on Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:17 am

MattTheEagle {l Wrote}:
Shaddix {l Wrote}:
BC923 {l Wrote}:can anybody give me an update on any >6'7" people we might sign this year? I've been out of the recruiting loop

I'd be really happy if we landed Kelly, but I am pretty sure Kelly is exactly 6'7". We really need a Center, Anderson is an excellent PF but an awful Center. Right now all we have for Center players are out-of-shape 0-minute Caudill and injured Clifford.

As noted above, BC has recently joined the chase for the wildly popular (over 30 offers) Matthew Atewe (6'9", 230 lbs.) of Notre Dame Prep (Fitchburg), an esteemed rebounder and shot blocker who would presumably do a great deal to help BC's interior defense and rebounding. Our prospects for signing him out of the midst of such a mob scene, however, don't look all that hot at first glance. Still, Graham might have a decent shot at him (Atewe is from Toronto), and at least the school is close enough for BC to keep in touch. None of this makes me highly confident; rather, I incline to the view that the best to be said about BC's recruiting chances with Atewe is that they're probably better than they are with Severe.
RedBaron67
Campion Hall

Postby BCEaglesFan on Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:44 am

MattTheEagle {l Wrote}:
Shaddix {l Wrote}:

Hoff said BC has a 50/50 shot to get Kelly

BC is still recruiting Darryl Reynolds hard...
Follow me on twitter at @BeantownSports4 and at my new youtube channel BCEaglesHighlights http://www.youtube.com/user/BCEaglesHig ... ature=mhee
BCEaglesFan
Campion Hall

Postby 2001Eagle on Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:37 am

Like Jorgenson, if Kelly really wanted BC, he would have committed already. I'm guessing he's gone.
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby BCEagles25 on Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:42 am

on a scale of 1-10, I really want Darryl Reynolds to play for BC
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:51 am

2001Eagle {l Wrote}:Like Jorgenson, if Kelly really wanted BC, he would have committed already. I'm guessing he's gone.

While I agree that Kelly pretty obviously doesn't really want to come to BC, unlike Jorgenson he doesn't have good alternatives. Jorgenson had G-tech, Creighton, Missouri and Ok State to choose from. Kelly has Seton Hall and not going to college this year. I wouldn't be at all surprised if he gets a very late offer from somewhere and takes it though.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:55 am

By the way, I readily admit that a strikeout in 2013 is enough to show that Donahue has a recruiting problem. I fully expect a 5th year transfer over 6'8, but 1) that's not enough unless it can be replicated the following year and 2) it can't be van nest like.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby 31southst on Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:56 am

RedBaron67 {l Wrote}:
MattTheEagle {l Wrote}:
Shaddix {l Wrote}:

As noted above, BC has recently joined the chase for the wildly popular (over 30 offers) Matthew Atewe (6'9", 230 lbs.) of Notre Dame Prep (Fitchburg), an esteemed rebounder and shot blocker who would presumably do a great deal to help BC's interior defense and rebounding. Our prospects for signing him out of the midst of such a mob scene, however, don't look all that hot at first glance. Still, Graham might have a decent shot at him (Atewe is from Toronto), and at least the school is close enough for BC to keep in touch. None of this makes me highly confident; rather, I incline to the view that the best to be said about BC's recruiting chances with Atewe is that they're probably better than they are with Severe.

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/ncbrecruiting/national/post?id=5576

This update is from Friday:

Notre Dame Prep (Mass.) senior big man Matthew Atewe missed last weekend’s National Prep School Invitational (NPSI) with an injury, but he managed to keep himself in the headlines by announcing he had cut his list to six schools: Auburn, Charlotte, Clemson, Nebraska, Nevada and Wake Forest.
31southst
Cushing Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:05 am

31southst {l Wrote}:
RedBaron67 {l Wrote}:
MattTheEagle {l Wrote}:
Shaddix {l Wrote}:

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/ncbrecruiting/national/post?id=5576

This update is from Friday:

Notre Dame Prep (Mass.) senior big man Matthew Atewe missed last weekend’s National Prep School Invitational (NPSI) with an injury, but he managed to keep himself in the headlines by announcing he had cut his list to six schools: Auburn, Charlotte, Clemson, Nebraska, Nevada and Wake Forest.

Atewe was never a serious consideration.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:39 am

BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:on a scale of 1-10, I really want Darryl Reynolds to play for BC

Rebounding and shot blocking would help a ton.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby GT BoSox on Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:42 am

- Quakerdale Prep (MO) shooting guard Jalen Norman claims a new offer from Boston College.
http://www.yourtwopennies.com/forum/forum.php - Sports Talk That Makes Cents!
GT BoSox
Carney Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:51 am

GT BoSox {l Wrote}:- Quakerdale Prep (MO) shooting guard Jalen Norman claims a new offer from Boston College.

"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Cadillac90 on Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:16 pm

Shaddix {l Wrote}:

Really? Just like a lot of folks here thought we'd get Jorgensen? What has the Don and his merry band of recruiters done to provide you with this confidence? Your statement is irresponsible message boardery!!!!
Cadillac90
Cushing Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:24 pm

dear mrs. skinner,

shaddix is "the recruiting guy."

love always,

tre (rhymes with "posting responsibly")
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby Shaddix on Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:30 pm

Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:
Shaddix {l Wrote}:

Really? Just like a lot of folks here thought we'd get Jorgensen? What has the Don and his merry band of recruiters done to provide you with this confidence? Your statement is irresponsible message boardery!!!!

BC really doesn't face any competition for him. Seton Hall hasn't offered. Seton and Miami are trailing him as of now
Shaddix
Campion Hall

Postby 31southst on Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:37 pm

Shaddix {l Wrote}:BC really doesn't face any competition for him. Seton Hall hasn't offered. Seton and Miami are trailing him as of now

We face the competition of a prep year and we just might lose.
31southst
Cushing Hall

Postby Cadillac90 on Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:39 pm

Shaddix {l Wrote}:
Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:
Shaddix {l Wrote}:

BC really doesn't face any competition for him. Seton Hall hasn't offered. Seton and Miami are trailing him as of now

I hope you are right because they need some help rebounding the ball.
Cadillac90
Cushing Hall

Postby Shaddix on Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:46 pm

31southst {l Wrote}:
Shaddix {l Wrote}:BC really doesn't face any competition for him. Seton Hall hasn't offered. Seton and Miami are trailing him as of now

He's leaning towards BC, but yes that is our strongest competition. Actually I'm sorry... Seton Hall HAS offered and Miami hasn't. Heard something about Utah recruiting him as well
Shaddix
Campion Hall

Postby Shaddix on Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:25 pm

Kanter and Reynolds will both decide in April btw. My big men rankings are probably 1. Reynolds 2. Kelly 3. Kanter
Shaddix
Campion Hall

Postby RedBaron67 on Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:11 am

Shaddix {l Wrote}:
31southst {l Wrote}:

He's leaning towards BC, but yes that is our strongest competition. Actually I'm sorry... Seton Hall HAS offered and Miami hasn't. Heard something about Utah recruiting him as well
Shaddix {l Wrote}:Kanter and Reynolds will both decide in April btw. My big men rankings are probably 1. Reynolds 2. Kelly 3. Kanter

I just found something rather intriguing -- a recent feature article/interview about Kelly in a hometown paper. According to Kelly, he nearly gave a verbal commitment when he visited BC, but held back because he wants to be sure that he's thoroughly considered his options -- and that's fine by me, because it shows that the kid has his head screwed on the right way. He also repeated something very interesting that the BC coaches told him during his visit: that they're recruiting Owens and him because they want to change the team mentality, specifically that they want them to bring in greater mental toughness and a harder-nosed approach to the game. Telling this to a public journal will not win Kelly any points for discretion or tact, but it certainly is informative. (It's worth pointing out that Reynolds, who plays with the same blue-collar attitude, will fit into this plan just as easily.)

There was also information about Utah's pursuit of Kelly. He said that Utah has been working on him very hard for an official visit, and indicated that he would probably make one. It's easy to see why they haven't offered yet; they want to know he's interested enough to make a visit, and then they can package the offer with the visit. All this suggests that we might yet have more competition than expected, although, unless you're crazy about mountain and desert landscapes, or else a ski nut (which he wouldn't have time for, anyway), Chestnut Hill has to look better than Provo.

The article also mentioned that Kelly is still 17 (or maybe just turned 18 by now), and has been regularly going up against players 2 and even 3 years older. On the one hand, this shows that he's well prepared; on the other, it gives him another possible reason to prep for another year. This has a special wrinkle to it because Kelly stated that a few programs (Georgia and South Carolina were among the names mentioned) have given him verbal assurance that they'll offer him for 2014 if he stays in prep school. Kelly's recruitment seems to have all kinds of possible twists and turns.

Of course, there's still the alternative possibility of Reynolds, who has the basic essentials -- rebounding and defense -- and might very well be the better choice, seeing that he's already a PG.
RedBaron67
Campion Hall

Postby Shaddix on Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:30 am

RedBaron67 {l Wrote}:
Shaddix {l Wrote}:
31southst {l Wrote}:

Shaddix {l Wrote}:Kanter and Reynolds will both decide in April btw. My big men rankings are probably 1. Reynolds 2. Kelly 3. Kanter

I just found something rather intriguing -- a recent feature article/interview about Kelly in a hometown paper. According to Kelly, he nearly gave a verbal commitment when he visited BC, but held back because he wants to be sure that he's thoroughly considered his options -- and that's fine by me, because it shows that the kid has his head screwed on the right way. He also repeated something very interesting that the BC coaches told him during his visit: that they're recruiting Owens and him because they want to change the team mentality, specifically that they want them to bring in greater mental toughness and a harder-nosed approach to the game. Telling this to a public journal will not win Kelly any points for discretion or tact, but it certainly is informative. (It's worth pointing out that Reynolds, who plays with the same blue-collar attitude, will fit into this plan just as easily.)

There was also information about Utah's pursuit of Kelly. He said that Utah has been working on him very hard for an official visit, and indicated that he would probably make one. It's easy to see why they haven't offered yet; they want to know he's interested enough to make a visit, and then they can package the offer with the visit. All this suggests that we might yet have more competition than expected, although, unless you're crazy about mountain and desert landscapes, or else a ski nut (which he wouldn't have time for, anyway), Chestnut Hill has to look better than Provo.

The article also mentioned that Kelly is still 17 (or maybe just turned 18 by now), and has been regularly going up against players 2 and even 3 years older. On the one hand, this shows that he's well prepared; on the other, it gives him another possible reason to prep for another year. This has a special wrinkle to it because Kelly stated that a few programs (Georgia and South Carolina were among the names mentioned) have given him verbal assurance that they'll offer him for 2014 if he stays in prep school. Kelly's recruitment seems to have all kinds of possible twists and turns.

Of course, there's still the alternative possibility of Reynolds, who has the basic essentials -- rebounding and defense -- and might very well be the better choice, seeing that he's already a PG.

That's what Mark Dennehy did with Merrimack hockey. He brought in players from canada who were used to winning in high school/juniors (on championship teams). Players who were under recruited. Of course anyone who follows hockey east knows that the players Merrimack gets are usually much older, but Dennehy feels as if their games may have peaked at a later stage. Bringing in two kids from the best high school basketball team in the nation would certainly be great for their mentality.

Darryl Reynolds plays on a team with Rene Castro and Matt Cimino. Worcester is one of the best high school teams in the nation as well. Darryl is more D1 ready than Kelly too.
Shaddix
Campion Hall

Postby BCEagles25 on Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:44 am

I'd love to see Reynolds and Kelly end up Eagles. and another capable combo guard.
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby BCEaglesFan on Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:07 am

BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:I'd love to see Reynolds and Kelly end up Eagles. and another capable combo guard.

Word is they are recruiting Darryl Hicks, Jon Severe and Jalen Norman, who are all SG-types but all can play the 1.
Follow me on twitter at @BeantownSports4 and at my new youtube channel BCEaglesHighlights http://www.youtube.com/user/BCEaglesHig ... ature=mhee
BCEaglesFan
Campion Hall

Postby BCEaglesFan on Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:20 am

Can I have a source for that? I can't find anything...

Also, If anyone wants the Recruiting Notebook, here's basically what it says:
1. Publicly Jorgenson said he didn't care about playing time, but privately people think that was a huge part of his decision.
2. BC's 3 guard targets are now Darryl Hicks, Jon Severe and Jalen Norman. All are 2's but have the handle to play the 1.
3. Rashard Kelly looked like the most likely big man to pick BC, but there's talk now that he's really started to seriously consider reclassifying (along w/picking BC).
4. Other big men BC is recruiting are Darryl Reynolds, Skye Johnson (Couldn't find anything on him besides he has an offer from GW), and Thomas Hamilton
5. Ian Sistate, Josh Sharma, Sam Donahue, and Paschal Chukwu all made the trip for the Duke game.
BCEaglesFan
Campion Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:41 am

Reynolds or Hamilton would be great. Maybe even both.

That Skye kid is 6'6", no thanks really
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby GT BoSox on Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:17 am

- Thurgood Marshall (OH) shooting guard Mark Alstork says he is receiving strong, new interest from Boston College.
http://www.yourtwopennies.com/forum/forum.php - Sports Talk That Makes Cents!
GT BoSox
Carney Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:19 am

BCEaglesFan {l Wrote}:

Can I have a source for that? I can't find anything...

Also, If anyone wants the Recruiting Notebook, here's basically what it says:
1. Publicly Jorgenson said he didn't care about playing time, but privately people think that was a huge part of his decision.
2. BC's 3 guard targets are now Darryl Hicks, Jon Severe and Jalen Norman. All are 2's but have the handle to play the 1.
3. Rashard Kelly looked like the most likely big man to pick BC, but there's talk now that he's really started to seriously consider reclassifying (along w/picking BC).
4. Other big men BC is recruiting are Darryl Reynolds, Skye Johnson (Couldn't find anything on him besides he has an offer from GW), and Thomas Hamilton
5. Ian Sistate, Josh Sharma, Sam Donahue, and Paschal Chukwu all made the trip for the Duke game.

Thomas Hamilton can't be someone with real interest right?
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby bcmurph on Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:28 am

GT BoSox {l Wrote}:- Thurgood Marshall (OH) shooting guard Mark Alstork says he is receiving strong, new interest from Boston College.

“Recruiting is everywhere right now. I’ve got Northeastern, Maryland, Duquesne, Illinois State, Bethune Cookman, Drake, Farleigh Dickinson, Wright State, Cleveland State, Lehigh, Columbia, Yale, Toledo, Miami Ohio, Radford, Kennesaw state, Holy Cross looking at me. I’ve just got a lot of mid-major schools looking at me. I'm very open at this moment.”

When it does come time to make a decision what are you looking for in a school?

“I am going to look at the program, how the athletes get treated, if I have a chance of starting, education, development of players, graduation rate of the basketball players, and what classes the players are in.”

http://hoopsillinois1.hoops247.com/index.php/hoops-247-network-news/197-mark-alstork-talks-recruiting
"Stay with this young team - there are great days ahead." Coach Donahue tweet 2/19/2012 -
bcmurph
McGuinn Hall

Postby bcmurph on Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:35 am

Stanford Robinson (red jersey) and Mark Alstork (white jersey) went head to head at the 2013 Flyin To The Hoop event in Dayton, Ohio. Findlay Prep came into the event as the #1 team in the country and proved that they deserved their ranking as they beat Thurgood Marshall by a score of 71-47. Robinson who is headed to Indiana next year finished with 16 points and 8 rebounds while Alstork put 23 points on Findlay.

"Stay with this young team - there are great days ahead." Coach Donahue tweet 2/19/2012 -
bcmurph
McGuinn Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Conte Forum