Commits/Recruiting

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Commits/Recruiting

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:15 pm

The next time basketball news on TOS is accurate will be the first.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eagle9903 on Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:41 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:The next time basketball news on TOS is accurate will be the first.

They called magarity. But the overall avg is terrible. On a global level I have serious doubts about any 2015 prospect who currently favors bc but has factories sniffing around will continue with bc as a favorite unless they actually commit shortly.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby Shaddix on Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:50 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:The next time basketball news on TOS is accurate will be the first.

They called magarity. But the overall avg is terrible. On a global level I have serious doubts about any 2015 prospect who currently favors bc but has factories sniffing around will continue with bc as a favorite unless they actually commit shortly.

Um Jeremy Miller definitely favors BC and pretty much has forever.
Shaddix
Campion Hall

Postby Casey on Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:28 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:There will be scholarships available. Count on it.

It's not too hard to imagine.

Basketball produces more transfers each year than all other sports combined, because there are 300+ D-1 schools in the market for talent, twice as any competitive conferences to join, and players rarely redshirt as Freshman, so they can sit the transfer year without losing eligibility. These guys love to play year round, and invariably seek out minutes elsewhere once the coach says "you'll only get mop up minutes from here on out." It already happened with Moten & Daniels.

There's no need for it this year given Injury concerns with Hicks & Clifford. But when have you ever heard of a BC player staying (particularly if malcontent) after being given The Talk.

If I had to guess where we would creat space for 2014 season ... Of course It would depend on who we signed and how the underclassman look/develop this seaon ... but assuming the recruit is good enough to leap frog the vets into the core 7-8 man rotation (which is quality standard when this tight on spots), then you have simple options:

-- if Claudill is still a lazy waste of space, you either move him to medical scholarship (or set up grant in aide where he works in the AD office) due to 3 years of lingering injuries ... or you unapoligetically yank his scholarship if lack of commitment to get in shape and improve better explains his failures. I accept that a complete dud won't transfer as a senior.

--- Always possible Heckman or Hanlan could go pro (to Europe & NBA respectively) with a big year.

--- recruit another PG/SG to pair with a healthy Hicks/Hanlan/Rohan, then Jackson (as a steady, seasoned role player) would be the odd man out and probably a hot commodity for tourney bubble team with serious backcourt depth issues ... And Jackson would get a free masters by playing his 5th year, along with a chance to play out his career on the floor.

--- recruit a quality wing (to go with Anderson, Heckman & Drags), then Oddio & Owens are competing for the last wing spot available in the rotation for the next two years. This step becomes even more necessary if we Sign Jamal Ayetes to play the 4.

--- I assume neither Carney or Rubin are wasting scholies.
Last edited by Casey on Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Casey
Carney Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:59 pm

Shaddix {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

Vonleh, joseph, terrill, every murphy, etc spoke highly of bc when they were multiple classes away.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby BCEaglesFan on Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:27 pm

The unnamed guy TOS was talking about is not of the 2014 class.
Follow me on twitter at @BeantownSports4 and at my new youtube channel BCEaglesHighlights http://www.youtube.com/user/BCEaglesHig ... ature=mhee
BCEaglesFan
Campion Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:50 pm

Casey {l Wrote}:

It's not too hard to imagine.

Basketball produces more transfers each year than all other sports combined, because there are 300+ D-1 schools in the market for talent, twice as any competitive conferences to join, and players rarely redshirt as Freshman, so they can sit the transfer year without losing eligibility. These guys love to play year round, and invariably seek out minutes elsewhere once the coach says "you'll only get mop up minutes from here on out." It already happened with Moten & Daniels.

There's no need for it this year given Injury concerns with Hicks & Clifford. But when have you ever heard of a BC player staying (particularly if malcontent) after being given The Talk.

If I had to guess where we would creat space for 2014 season ... Of course It would depend on who we signed and how the underclassman look/develop this seaon ... but assuming the recruit is good enough to leap frog the vets into the core 7-8 man rotation (which is quality standard when this tight on spots), then you have simple options:

-- if Claudill is still a lazy waste of space, you either move him to medical scholarship (or set up grant in aide where he works in the AD office) due to 3 years of lingering injuries ... or you yank the scholarship if lack f ommittment better e pains his failure. I accept that a complete dud won't transfer as a senior.

--- Always possible Heckman or Hanlan could go pro (to Europe & NBA respectively) with a big year.

--- recruit another PG/SG to pair with a healthy Hicks/Hanlan/Rohan, then Jackson (as a steady, seasoned role player) would be the odd man out and probably a hot commodity for tourney bubble team with serious backcourt depth issues ... And Hanlan would get a free masters out of it, along with a chance to play out his career on the floor.

--- recruit a quality wing (to go with Anderon, Heckman & Drags), then Oddio & Owens are competing for the last spot available in the rotation for the next two years. This step becomes even more necessary if we Sign Jamal Ayetes to play the 4.

--- I assume neither Carney or Oddio are wasting scholies.

Wow there's all kinds of dumb in this post.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby MattTheEagle on Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:36 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
Shaddix {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

Vonleh, joseph, terrill, every murphy, etc spoke highly of bc when they were multiple classes away.

This. I would also like to add Jacquil Taylor to the list. He and family had glowing things to say about BC a couple years ago and now it seems like he is hardly even considering us.
MattTheEagle
Campion Hall

Postby Casey on Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:18 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
Casey {l Wrote}:

Not exactly a meaningful contribution. I don't mind criticism, but rather than shouting at the rain, why don't point out errors and advance the discussion. And please don't mention typos, that goes with territory when typing on tablet.
Casey
Carney Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:50 pm

Casey {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
Casey {l Wrote}:

Not exactly a meaningful contribution. I don't mind criticism, but rather than shouting at the rain, why don't point out errors and advance the discussion. And please don't mention typos, that goes with territory when typing on tablet.

Odio is on scholarship there chief.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:51 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
Casey {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
Casey {l Wrote}:

I assume he meant rubin
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:38 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
Casey {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
Casey {l Wrote}:

I assume he meant rubin

That would be more coherent
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby BCEaglesFan on Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:37 am

2015 G/F Ryan Fazekas will visit BC. He has an offer from Providence already, but not from BC or any other power conference school.
Follow me on twitter at @BeantownSports4 and at my new youtube channel BCEaglesHighlights http://www.youtube.com/user/BCEaglesHig ... ature=mhee
BCEaglesFan
Campion Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:12 am

BCEaglesFan {l Wrote}:2015 G/F Ryan Fazekas will visit BC. He has an offer from Providence already, but not from BC or any other power conference school.

Is he related to Nick Fazekas, the dude who played for Nevada?
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:52 am

I find it peculiar that there is always more information flowing about Don's recruitment of players who are 2 or 3 years away.

Early signing day is 4 months away and there is very little news about 2014 kids who are high on BC (Dazoo essentially finished his class with 7-months to go). In comparison, of the 16 ACC-affliated programs (including recently arrived ND, Pitt, Cuse, soon to be departing MD and soon to be arriving Louisville), only 5 other programs (Clem, GT, ND, Pitt and VT) join BC in the "do not have a verbal" category. Even a program that has been a very recent national embarrassment (Rutgers) has two verbals from players who have a very decent offer sheet (Dwayne Foreman has more offers than any PF Don will likely land this year).
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:03 am

are you suggesting he may be DONSLEEP at the recruiting wheel.

i look forward to those not named "cadillac90" spin this is a different direction than it was spun 5 years ago
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby Cadillac90 on Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:19 am

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:are you suggesting he may be DONSLEEP at the recruiting wheel.

i look forward to those not named "cadillac90" spin this is a different direction than it was spun 5 years ago

Let me know when I can chime in, okay?
Cadillac90
Cushing Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:29 am

HJS {l Wrote}:I find it peculiar that there is always more information flowing about Don's recruitment of players who are 2 or 3 years away.

Early signing day is 4 months away and there is very little news about 2014 kids who are high on BC (Dazoo essentially finished his class with 7-months to go). In comparison, of the 16 ACC-affliated programs (including recently arrived ND, Pitt, Cuse, soon to be departing MD and soon to be arriving Louisville), only 5 other programs (Clem, GT, ND, Pitt and VT) join BC in the "do not have a verbal" category. Even a program that has been a very recent national embarrassment (Rutgers) has two verbals from players who have a very decent offer sheet (Dwayne Foreman has more offers than any PF Don will likely land this year).

Only have 1 or 2 scholarships for '14 anyway. Casting a narrow net, that includes Cimino and Joseph. If Miller re-classified, need a spot for him also
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:30 am

Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:
TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:are you suggesting he may be DONSLEEP at the recruiting wheel.

Let me know when I can chime in, okay?

you can chime in now but it would be very mojsian of you
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:46 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:I find it peculiar that there is always more information flowing about Don's recruitment of players who are 2 or 3 years away.

Only have 1 or 2 scholarships for '14 anyway. Casting a narrow net, that includes Cimino and Joseph. If Miller re-classified, need a spot for him also

Casting a narrow net and focusing on locals are both recruiting strategies that haven't been particularly successful in the past. Just saying...
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:10 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

Casting a narrow net and focusing on locals are both recruiting strategies that haven't been particularly successful in the past. Just saying...

20+ wins and the NCAAs would go a long ways towards fixing this issue
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:09 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

20+ wins and the NCAAs would go a long ways towards fixing this issue

Both of which will have absolutely no impact on the early signing period for the recruiting class of 2014 (or, in other words, the success of this year's team will have no effect on any 2014 recruit mentioned in this thread).

Not a BC reference, but I found it interesting that Joseph, Okonoboh, Cimino, Jalen Adams and Josh Sharma (all of whom should be major targets for us) play on the same AAU team.
http://cityofbasketballlove.com/2013/07 ... ssic-east/
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby joeyfenn on Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:31 pm

Finklestein said today that he thinks Syracuse, Providence, West Virginia, Boston College, and Marquette are the favorites for Kaleb Joseph.
joeyfenn
McGuinn Hall

Postby joeyfenn on Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:44 pm

joeyfenn
McGuinn Hall

Postby joeyfenn on Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:50 pm

NErecruit ‏@NEsports_
Boston College has offered 2015 PG AJ Harris from Ohio. Other offer from Dayton but tons of high major interest. @FAMOUS_AMOS12

He is only 5'9 but is supposed to be a phenomenal ball handler and dribbler.
joeyfenn
McGuinn Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:42 pm

joeyfenn {l Wrote}:Finklestein said today that he thinks Syracuse, Providence, West Virginia, Boston College, and Marquette are the favorites for Kaleb Joseph.

He said Cuse was his dream school, so I'll mark him down for there
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby joeyfenn on Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:52 am

Boston College is tracking Central Catholic (MA) PG Tyler Nelson

He has offers from Binghamton, Vermont, George Washington, Fairfield, Umass-lowell, Dartmouth, Jacksonville
joeyfenn
McGuinn Hall

Postby claver2010 on Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:02 am

joeyfenn {l Wrote}:Boston College is tracking Central Catholic (MA) PG Tyler Nelson

He has offers from Binghamton, Vermont, George Washington, Fairfield, Umass-lowell, Dartmouth, Jacksonville

Jesus Christ
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby joeyfenn on Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:04 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:
joeyfenn {l Wrote}:Boston College is tracking Central Catholic (MA) 2014 PG Tyler Nelson

Jesus Christ

Yea clearly not what you want to see on his offer sheet but he is a local kid so BC is bound to "track" him. Don't freak out because I don't think they offer him any time soon or at all unless 2014 goes to shittsville and they don't get any of their targets.
joeyfenn
McGuinn Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:35 pm

joeyfenn {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:
joeyfenn {l Wrote}:Boston College is tracking Central Catholic (MA) 2014 PG Tyler Nelson

Jesus Christ

Yea clearly not what you want to see on his offer sheet but he is a local kid so BC is bound to "track" him. Don't freak out because I don't think they offer him any time soon or at all unless 2014 goes to shittsville and they don't get any of their targets.

I quit with that offer list...surprised it doesn't list Bates or Bowdoin
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Conte Forum