Commits/Recruiting

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Commits/Recruiting

Postby eepstein0 on Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:39 am

BCEaglesFan {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:according to a good poster on the other site, we are in good shape for Thomas Hamilton. Take for what's worth. That's be interesting.

Not an athletic rebounder/shot-blocker, but I'll take him for his very good skills.

Watch the highlight videos, saying he's not athletic is selling him short. Has range out to 3. He would be perfect in this offense and seems like a good rebounder
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby 31southst on Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:00 am

Honestly at this point in the recruiting process we're not going to get a perfect player. Getting a big with the ability to play center and to stretch the floor would be very solid. Hopefully Don can make this happen.
31southst
Cushing Hall

Postby Brablc on Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:20 am

31southst {l Wrote}:Honestly at this point in the recruiting process we're not going to get a perfect player. Getting a big with the ability to play center and to stretch the floor would be very solid. Hopefully Don can make this happen.

Yep, get me one of Hicks / Severe and one of Kelly / Hamilton / Kanter / Reynolds and I'll be happy.
Brablc
McGuinn Hall

Postby joeyfenn on Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:40 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
BCEaglesFan {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:according to a good poster on the other site, we are in good shape for Thomas Hamilton. Take for what's worth. That's be interesting.

Not an athletic rebounder/shot-blocker, but I'll take him for his very good skills.

Watch the highlight videos, saying he's not athletic is selling him short. Has range out to 3. He would be perfect in this offense and seems like a good rebounder

What does good shape mean? Top 3? Close to committing? He hasn't completely thrown us out the door?

I feel like we are always in good shape with commits. This is because they are taught to never say anything bad about schools. "Good shape" is an awful way of assessing our chances with this kid.
joeyfenn
McGuinn Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:43 am

joeyfenn {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
BCEaglesFan {l Wrote}:

What does good shape mean? Top 3? Close to committing? He hasn't completely thrown us out the door?

I feel like we are always in good shape with commits. This is because they are taught to never say anything bad about schools. "Good shape" is an awful way of assessing our chances with this kid.

i don't know. it sounds like more than just the "made the top 5" type thing, but I really have no idea.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby BCEaglesFan on Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:47 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
joeyfenn {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
BCEaglesFan {l Wrote}:

i don't know. it sounds like more than just the "made the top 5" type thing, but I really have no idea.

The exact words the poster typed were "doing well with" Thomas Hamilton Jr.
Follow me on twitter at @BeantownSports4 and at my new youtube channel BCEaglesHighlights http://www.youtube.com/user/BCEaglesHig ... ature=mhee
BCEaglesFan
Campion Hall

Postby 31southst on Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:57 am

FWIW this poster who said it seems plugged in and Hoff agreed/confirmed.
31southst
Cushing Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:25 pm

31southst {l Wrote}:FWIW this poster who said it seems plugged in and Hoff agreed/confirmed.

Hamilton was previously #23 overall on ESPN. Super talented, but major issues with conditioning and effort I guess
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Shaddix on Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:27 pm

31southst {l Wrote}:FWIW this poster who said it seems plugged in and Hoff agreed/confirmed.

When you say it seems plugged in what exactly do you mean? This whole conversation is very confusing
Shaddix
Campion Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:29 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

Hamilton was previously #23 overall on ESPN. Super talented, but major issues with conditioning and effort I guess

Apparently he missed a lot of time with some kind of injury and then didn't really get back to playing much (seems like at least an implication that he wasn't working hard) and was doing really bad at school and then transferred to IMG (I don't really know what that is) and has improved his grades and salvaged his reputation somewhat.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby 31southst on Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:29 pm

Shaddix {l Wrote}:

When you say it seems plugged in what exactly do you mean? This whole conversation is very confusing

I don't particularly following basketball recruiting, but to the extent that I do, the original EA poster seems to have inside information/a good general sense of what's happening. Stuff like this is a good example - hearing BC is doing well with a recruit and not having it be based on public information.
31southst
Cushing Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:31 pm

31southst {l Wrote}:
Shaddix {l Wrote}:

I don't particularly following basketball recruiting, but to the extent that I do, the original EA poster seems to have inside information/a good general sense of what's happening. Stuff like this is a good example - hearing BC is doing well with a recruit and not having it be based on public information.

He knows people with a connection to the program and/or has some other insight into college basketball recruiting superior to those who follow twitter or recruiting services. He has in the past, known things before they were announced and had information well before the site writers did. I'm sure he has also been wrong before.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby Shaddix on Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:31 pm

31southst {l Wrote}:
Shaddix {l Wrote}:

Ah gotcha, I didn't know if you meant he was basically coming to BC because he was "plugged in". But good to hear anyways, he's a big body who will probably get nice minutes.
Shaddix
Campion Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:33 pm

Shaddix {l Wrote}:
31southst {l Wrote}:
Shaddix {l Wrote}:

Ah gotcha, I didn't know if you meant he was basically coming to BC because he was "plugged in". But good to hear anyways, he's a big body who will probably get nice minutes.

step too far, I wouldn't assume he is coming to BC yet.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:55 pm

Hamilton could be the steal of a lifetime for BC. High risk high reward
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby EagleDave on Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:20 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
EagleDave {l Wrote}:
BCEaglesFan {l Wrote}:

Seems like a guy who's really blown up recently.

Seen this kid in person a number of times. He is LEGIT.

He's undersized, but he's lightning quick and is a true point guard. Grades might be an issue though as Prep is not known for its academics (see: his teammate Greg McClinton who transferred to Hargrave because Prep couldn't keep him eligible)

Im thinking Jordan Daniels type of player. Right or wrong?

Not totally inaccurate, but Harney is 3-4 inches taller. He's someone who undoubtedly makes others better on the court. I'd liken him to a more raw version of Mike Conley circa Ohio State.
Is this the 5 o'clock free crack giveaway?
EagleDave
Merkert Hall

Postby hinghameagle on Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:50 pm

was is the schooling like at IMG. I have never seen BC involved with any of thier athletes. Is it a legit enough high school that they can get kids into elite academic schools?
hinghameagle
Carney Hall

Postby BCEaglesFan on Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:14 pm

hinghameagle {l Wrote}:was is the schooling like at IMG. I have never seen BC involved with any of thier athletes. Is it a legit enough high school that they can get kids into elite academic schools?

I think.

The poster also said that Hamilton really was starting to "get it" in the classroom and on the court recently...
Follow me on twitter at @BeantownSports4 and at my new youtube channel BCEaglesHighlights http://www.youtube.com/user/BCEaglesHig ... ature=mhee
BCEaglesFan
Campion Hall

Postby 31southst on Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:17 pm

BCEaglesFan {l Wrote}:
hinghameagle {l Wrote}:was is the schooling like at IMG. I have never seen BC involved with any of thier athletes. Is it a legit enough high school that they can get kids into elite academic schools?

I think.

The poster also said that Hamilton really was starting to "get it" in the classroom and on the court recently...

To the extent academics were/are an issue, this seems like the type of thing that would let admissions think he could succeed and give him a pass.
31southst
Cushing Hall

Postby RedBaron67 on Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:16 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:Hamilton could be the steal of a lifetime for BC. High risk high reward

It's relatively rare these days to get a shot at a prospect with elite potential who's underrated for (hopefully) correctable reasons, but BC finds itself involved with two, Hamilton and Hicks. Hamilton is the bigger gamble, but with an enormous upside; "high risk high reward" sums him up perfectly. Hicks' availability is more of a headscratcher; he clearly has the talent, he just hasn't put up the anticipated big numbers - but why look a gift horse in the mouth? A Hamilton/ Hicks recruiting class could be a historic bonanza or a thundering flop for BC; personally, I'm very willing to take the risk at this point, because the program is desperately in need of a major energy jolt.
RedBaron67
Campion Hall

Postby apbc12 on Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:11 pm

Shaddix {l Wrote}:
31southst {l Wrote}:
Shaddix {l Wrote}:

Shouldn't you already know these things, as the recruiting guy?
apbc12
Higgins Hall

Postby BCEaglesFan on Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:16 pm

The poster answered our question of where BC is on his list by saying he doesn't know his list or anything, he just heard BC's moving up his list and is a serious contender.
BCEaglesFan
Campion Hall

Postby BC923 on Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:32 pm

2001Eagle {l Wrote}:
BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:Harney is three inches taller than Daniels.

also, if they played Wu at conte and people didn't get it, I'd give up on the fanbase.

i thought about this before bedtime last night and first thought that the current nerds would have to know the 36 chambers, but then it struck me that they regularly play quidditch dressed up like harry fucking potter.

so, young men of this board, what say ye?

I say protect ya goddamn neck if you plan to grouping youngins like me with the nerds
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby Brablc on Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:55 am

Doesn't look like BC was included on a recent article on Severe:

http://zagsblog.com/articles/christ-the ... -aa-title/

I hope we are still trying for him.
Brablc
McGuinn Hall

Postby Brablc on Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:03 am

Also update on Hicks. Looks like he's visiting BC on March 22nd:

https://twitter.com/SteveJones_CJ/statu ... 8848456704
Brablc
McGuinn Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:12 am

Brablc {l Wrote}:Also update on Hicks. Looks like he's visiting BC on March 22nd:

I continue to be at a loss as to how a recruit goes from offers from Arizona, Indiana and FSU to places like WKY and FIU AND it is in a manner in which BC can still recruit him (he didn't kill a bunch of people or fail out of school presumably) AND he hasn't all of a sudden become terrible at basketball (Kentucky Mr. Basketball finalist)
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby Brablc on Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:17 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
Brablc {l Wrote}:Also update on Hicks. Looks like he's visiting BC on March 22nd:

I continue to be at a loss as to how a recruit goes from offers from Arizona, Indiana and FSU to places like WKY and FIU AND it is in a manner in which BC can still recruit him (he didn't kill a bunch of people or fail out of school presumably) AND he hasn't all of a sudden become terrible at basketball (Kentucky Mr. Basketball finalist)

Yeah, I'm with you. Don't really understand it. The only thing I can think of is that they thought he would grow or gain high level athleticism and he failed to do so. But in general, he looks like a player that would fit in nicely with our guards.
Brablc
McGuinn Hall

Postby HJS on Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:46 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

I'm curious too. If I had to guess... either (a) his BC offer is contingent on admission (who very well may reject) or (b) Mr. Basketball in Kentucky isn't a big deal (the other finalist are signed with Kentucky, Bellarmine and William & Mary).
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby BCEaglesFan on Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:26 pm

http://westernkentucky.scout.com/a.z?s= ... 74215.html

If anyone has a scout account and can post this article that would be nice. It's on Darryl Hicks, was posted about an hour ago.

There actually was a tweet by a WKU walk-on football commit who goes to Hicks' HS saying that Hicks had picked WKU yesterday but Hicks denied it and said he was still considering his options.
Last edited by BCEaglesFan on Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BCEaglesFan
Campion Hall

Postby RedBaron67 on Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:33 pm

Brablc {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

Yeah, I'm with you. Don't really understand it. The only thing I can think of is that they thought he would grow or gain high level athleticism and he failed to do so. But in general, he looks like a player that would fit in nicely with our guards.
HJS {l Wrote}:I'm curious too. If I had to guess... either (a) his BC offer is contingent on admission (who very well may reject) or (b) Mr. Basketball in Kentucky isn't a big deal (the other finalist are signed with Kentucky, Bellarmine and William & Mary).

I don't think the situation with Hicks is really any of those things; as I noted above, this is a very odd set of circumstances in which falling out of fashion seems to have as much as anything else to do with Hicks' availability. Some big-name schools offered him after a sensational freshman year; then he had to sit out his sophomore year after transferring from Shelby County to Trinity, which put him a bit on the back burner with those schools. They then cooled off still further when he had a less impressive junior season (12 ppg) as a complementary player on the Trinity team. This seems to have been a combination of Hicks being a little rusty after a year out of competition and him being a junior transfer on a team with a strong senior core (which won the state championship). An early injury this year slowed down his comeback a little more; by this time, the schools that had offered him as a freshman had moved on to other, hotter prospects. Hicks' recruiting effectively started all over again, with his stock relatively depressed - hence the appearance of WKU and FIU on the scene. His play this year has shown that he still has the talent, so Hicks could be a historic steal (not to mention an extraordinary fluke) for BC, maybe even a steal on the level of Michael Adams or Jared Dudley. BC still has to get him to commit, of course, but the visit looks very promising. Now, if they could just get Hamilton to commit to a visit....
RedBaron67
Campion Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Conte Forum