Commits/Recruiting

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Commits/Recruiting

Postby BCEaglesFan on Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:25 am

These are Aytes' highlights from the Adidas Invitational, where he killed it just a few days ago.
Follow me on twitter at @BeantownSports4 and at my new youtube channel BCEaglesHighlights http://www.youtube.com/user/BCEaglesHig ... ature=mhee
BCEaglesFan
Campion Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:40 am

BCEaglesFan {l Wrote}:
These are Aytes' highlights from the Adidas Invitational, where he killed it just a few days ago.

He's running over kids who are so much smaller than him. That level of competition just looks awful on that tape.

I assume with Hicks now being a 14 recruit, he's looking to add one more here to '13
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Brablc on Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:56 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
BCEaglesFan {l Wrote}:

He's running over kids who are so much smaller than him. That level of competition just looks awful on that tape.

I assume with Hicks now being a 14 recruit, he's looking to add one more here to '13

We still only have 1 for 2013 or 2014, correct? At this point, I'd bank it and hope to get Cimino or Joseph. Unless he knows something we don't (Hanlan going pro, transfers, etc.)
Brablc
McGuinn Hall

Postby joeyfenn on Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:11 am

@NEsports_
Boston College has offered 2015 6'9 PF/C Chase Jeter from Nevada. Other offers include Arizona, USC, UNLV, UCLA, Arizona State. @chasejeter04
joeyfenn
McGuinn Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:15 am

Brablc {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
BCEaglesFan {l Wrote}:

We still only have 1 for 2013 or 2014, correct? At this point, I'd bank it and hope to get Cimino or Joseph. Unless he knows something we don't (Hanlan going pro, transfers, etc.)

Magerity and Owens for 2013. Hicks for 2014 via the injury
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby joeyfenn on Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:16 am

@NEsports_
Boston College has offered 2014 PG Avery Patterson from GA. Other offers include Butler, Kansas State, UCF, WKU. @Showtime_AP
joeyfenn
McGuinn Hall

Postby Brablc on Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:13 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
Brablc {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
BCEaglesFan {l Wrote}:

Magerity and Owens for 2013. Hicks for 2014 via the injury

Yeah I was talking open scholarships.
Brablc
McGuinn Hall

Postby MattTheEagle on Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:36 pm

We will have at least 2 scholarships open for 2014. That being said, I do not think Aytes is ready for the ACC.
MattTheEagle
Campion Hall

Postby Iggle on Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:40 pm

Miami, BYU and KSU is a decent slate of offers.
zzz
Iggle
Campion Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:41 pm

Iggle {l Wrote}:Miami, BYU and KSU is a decent slate of offers.

Reminds me a little of Corey Raji pre-Donahue. I assume he can make layups better than Raji though
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby BCEagles25 on Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:57 pm

adding a Corey Raji/Shamari Spears would not be bad. if Jamal Aytes is a combination of these two (and Mr. Aytes actually can dribble and has a knack for hitting layups), sign his ass now.

I will say that I'd have preferred Darryl Reynolds.
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby joeyfenn on Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:01 pm

@NEsports_
Boston College is expressing interest in 2015 Darrian Traylor (Las Vegas Knicks). Only offer is Northern Colorado so far @DarrianTraylor6

BC is the only high major interest right now but lots of midmajor interest
joeyfenn
McGuinn Hall

Postby Casey on Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:01 pm

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/ncbrecr ... recruiting

For any college program that needs a big, strong power forward who knows his role is to rebound, defend inside and score in the paint, Jamal Aytes (San Juan Capistrano, Calif./JSerra Catholic) is still available in the 2013 class.

Aytes, who played next to Zimmerman on the Dream Vision travel team this this past week at the adidas Invitational, does all of those skills to the best of his ability each time he steps on the floor. He has long arms, broad shoulders and good hands to catch and finish inside and grab rebounds. He can also make short jumpers in the upper half of the painted area but fully understands to post up with his strong body. On the defensive end, he plays with his feet moving, keeps his hands high and looks to step in for charges.

His story is that he still has one more class to complete in order to graduate, and he is slated to be done with that class on July 24. His SAT score is also strong and he is still looking to attend a college in September.

"Right now, BYU and Boston College have offered while Kansas State, Miami and USC are calling," Aytes said. Gonzaga, Louisville and Miami (Fla.) are also in the mix.
Casey
Carney Hall

Postby RedBaron67 on Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:47 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
RedBaron67 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
joeyfenn {l Wrote}:
BCEaglesFan {l Wrote}:Also:
Matt Cimino had a big game on Thursday with Massachusetts Rivals in a win over Indiana Elite. The 2014 three-star Rivals150 forward showed deep range on his jumper, making him the prototypical next-level stretch power forward. At 6-foot-9, Cimino is a long post defender who isn't fearful of physical play, and has a diversified offensive skill-set which also allows him to make good passes out of the high post in the high-low game. Cimino listed Virginia, Stanford, Georgia Tech, Boston College, Northwestern and Vanderbilt as schools which have offered him and that he communicates with the most frequently.

Of all the local kids I think BC has the best chance of getting Cimino. The other top tier guys don't seem to be too interested

Cimino would be fantastic

I think that at this point Cimino is an extremely important recruit for Donahue. If BC is shut out with so many top tier players available in New England in 2014, Donahue's credibility as a coach is going to be very shaky even if BC makes the NCAA Tournament this coming season. At the risk of sounding like a broken record, I repeat: a credible program has to be able to recruit in its own back yard. Skinner (and his assistants) put together a string of successes by pulling an amazing succession of rabbits out of far-distant hats, but everyone realized it was something abnormal, a high-wire act; when it stopped working, he was gone pretty quickly.

There are also a lot of quality players locally in 2015, when BC will have a lot of slots to fill. If Donahue is going to succeed then, it will be important to lay some groundwork in 2014. This assumes, of course, that he's still here next spring, which he may not be if BC fails to get over the Selection Sunday hurdle. He's definitely out of excuses at this point, especially since Addazio has been demonstrating how quickly a program can be re-energized; something has to change.

Realizing that responding with "No." has been diluted. No.

Skinner was a successful basketball coach for the significant majority of 15 years without any significant local recruiting success (notable semi-exceptions are Watson, Hailey and Sanders). 15 years (or 13 if you want to exclude the finale) is very unlikely to be an anomaly and the notion that national unheralded recruiting cannot be repeated is completely unsupported although I welcome you to try.

JOB was a much less successful basketball coach, other than the long tourney run, with rare local recruiting success (notable exceptions are both Curleys, Chris Herron and Malcolm Huckaby; Barros was not a JOB recruit, Abrams was from west chester county, Abram was from Michigan, Granger was from Michigan, Eisley was from Michigan, Maglos was from Greece, Molinski was from Ohio, Doug Abel was from Maryland, Lior Arditti was from Israel). Of course, JOB seemed to be entering the local scene in his last go around and then bad things happened.

I never understood this.

Who gives a shit where the players come from?

It doesn't matter re the individual player's ability, but it matters a great deal re recruiting strategy. This may be an era of national recruiting, but look at the top 2014 players already committed and you'll see that a large majority of them are committed to home-state schools. HS players as a group still prefer (other things being more or less equal) playing close to home, where their family and friends can see them play, which makes it a lot easier for a school with a credible program to recruit its home territory. Schools that recruit far afield, even if they do it successfully for a long time, are always running uphill to some extent. (Consider how quickly Skinner went downhill when he no longer had the assistants who could pull it off.) Of course, it also helps to be Enormous State U., but the general principle still holds even for schools that aren't. Recruiting top players close by also helps to build national credibility and bring in the distant blue-chip recruits (e.g., Indiana and Vonleh). A lot of BC's recruiting in recent decades had to do with the fact that Calhoun made UConn the big dog in New England; with UConn (at least temporarily) in TV eclipse, BC has a golden opportunity to establish itself in New England recruiting. Donahue & Co., to their credit, have been working very hard trying to do just this, but their effort also leaves them with no excuses; if they strike out in New England with the very talented 2014 and 2015 classes, then we need a new coaching regime, period.
RedBaron67
Campion Hall

Postby RedBaron67 on Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:10 am

joeyfenn {l Wrote}:@NEsports_
Boston College has offered 2015 6'9 PF/C Chase Jeter from Nevada. Other offers include Arizona, USC, UNLV, UCLA, Arizona State. @chasejeter04

Jeter is a top-50 player who already has half the PAC-12 chasing him and the big dogs (Indiana, Kansas, North Carolina) sniffing around him; if Stephen Zimmerman weren't on the same HS team (Bishop Gorman), he'd probably be ranked even higher. Good luck on that one.
RedBaron67
Campion Hall

Postby RedBaron67 on Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:49 am

MattTheEagle {l Wrote}:We will have at least 2 scholarships open for 2014. That being said, I do not think Aytes is ready for the ACC.

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
Iggle {l Wrote}:Miami, BYU and KSU is a decent slate of offers.

Reminds me a little of Corey Raji pre-Donahue. I assume he can make layups better than Raji though
BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:adding a Corey Raji/Shamari Spears would not be bad. if Jamal Aytes is a combination of these two (and Mr. Aytes actually can dribble and has a knack for hitting layups), sign his ass now.

I will say that I'd have preferred Darryl Reynolds.

These in-the-air assertions of open scholarships in 2014 are driving me nuts; when is someone going to give a name (or names) to his claim? Is everyone really that sensitive about wounding feelings, or was information given out with restrictions attached?

Another Corey Raji would be OK, but not at the cost of foreclosing 2014 possibilities; another Shamari Spears would be a disaster.

Donahue & Co. obviously loved Darryl Reynolds, and appeared to have the inside track with him. I think we must assume he was an academic casualty who could never get his numbers high enough to satisfy the BC athletic admissions committee. This is just going to happen at BC once in a while - it goes with being in USN&WR's top 50. (Villanova is well known to be less demanding in this respect - and, I can't resist noting, is a home-town team for Reynolds.)
RedBaron67
Campion Hall

Postby BCEaglesFan on Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:07 am

Good local recruiting news from TOS (however, not sure how credible this poster is). He says he can confirm that Matt Cimino's top 3 are BC, Stanford and ND, and that another highly recruited local prospect has BC on top of his list; however, he was asked not to give the name of that prospect. Also, the unnamed prospect would be a "big get".
Follow me on twitter at @BeantownSports4 and at my new youtube channel BCEaglesHighlights http://www.youtube.com/user/BCEaglesHig ... ature=mhee
BCEaglesFan
Campion Hall

Postby RedBaron67 on Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:45 am

BCEaglesFan {l Wrote}:Good local recruiting news from TOS (however, not sure how credible this poster is). He says he can confirm that Matt Cimino's top 3 are BC, Stanford and ND, and that another highly recruited local prospect has BC on top of his list; however, he was asked not to give the name of that prospect. Also, the unnamed prospect would be a "big get".

If BC were to sign both Cimino and (unnamed prospect), I would doubtless be VERY happy; at the moment, however, even the availability of scholarships is uncertain, so I'm not about to break out the champagne. Still, good news is better than bad news, and we may hope that the news continues to improve.
RedBaron67
Campion Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:08 am

BCEaglesFan {l Wrote}:Good local recruiting news from TOS (however, not sure how credible this poster is). He says he can confirm that Matt Cimino's top 3 are BC, Stanford and ND, and that another highly recruited local prospect has BC on top of his list; however, he was asked not to give the name of that prospect. Also, the unnamed prospect would be a "big get".

Is the other prospect from Houston? I know he is from Houston. He is from Houston right? I have been waiting for this for years.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:08 am

There will be scholarships available. Count on it.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:47 am

"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby joeyfenn on Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:17 am

HJS {l Wrote}:http://www.providencejournal.com/sports/college/providence-college/content/20130716-with-lindsey-in-fold-cooley-proving-doubters-wrong.ece

Why has Providence been so successful recruiting top name players? Not all have been local but some top names have (2012 Kris Dunn from Connecticut and 2012 Ricardo Ledo from Rhode Island).
joeyfenn
McGuinn Hall

Postby Shaddix on Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:29 am

joeyfenn {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:http://www.providencejournal.com/sports/college/providence-college/content/20130716-with-lindsey-in-fold-cooley-proving-doubters-wrong.ece

Why has Providence been so successful recruiting top name players? Not all have been local but some top names have (2012 Kris Dunn from Connecticut and 2012 Ricardo Ledo from Rhode Island).

Because Ed Cooley can sell a shitty program, unlike the Don. But on the good news, it doesn't take a mastermind to sell a great program and BC is starting to look good again
Shaddix
Campion Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:39 am

Shaddix {l Wrote}:
joeyfenn {l Wrote}:

Because Ed Cooley can sell a shitty program, unlike the Don. But on the good news, it doesn't take a mastermind to sell a great program and BC is starting to look good again

Time to give Providence the recruiting championship trophy? Ed Cooley is a horrible, Paul Hewitt type coach
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:39 am

RedBaron67 {l Wrote}:

If BC were to sign both Cimino and (unnamed prospect), I would doubtless be VERY happy; at the moment, however, even the availability of scholarships is uncertain, so I'm not about to break out the champagne. Still, good news is better than bad news, and we may hope that the news continues to improve.

That would be a home-run. I think the other prospect is probably Kaleb Joseph
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby bcmurph on Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:50 am

If you recruit a guy, and he never plays a game, is that a win? :?
"Stay with this young team - there are great days ahead." Coach Donahue tweet 2/19/2012 -
bcmurph
McGuinn Hall

Postby Shaddix on Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:53 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
RedBaron67 {l Wrote}:

I haven't heard much in awhile, but I know for sure that Joseph favored BC about a year ago..... Pray its him.
Shaddix
Campion Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:17 am

bcmurph {l Wrote}:If you recruit a guy, and he never plays a game, is that a win? :?

Pretty sure he gets no credit for Ricky Ledo
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby BIGDUKE6 on Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:57 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
RedBaron67 {l Wrote}:

Pretty sure the other prospect is a great deal taller than Kaleb Joseph.
BIGDUKE6
n00b

Postby BIGDUKE6 on Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:57 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
RedBaron67 {l Wrote}:

Pretty sure the other prospect is a great deal taller than Kaleb Joseph.
BIGDUKE6
n00b

PreviousNext

Return to Conte Forum