Commits/Recruiting

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Commits/Recruiting

Postby 31southst on Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:02 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
Shaddix {l Wrote}:Commit! Garland committed to BC

Excellent news! Welcome Garland!

We're not really in a position to pass up kids with his athleticism. Going to be fun watching Hanlan and Daniels throwing him alley-oops.

Agreed. Also, skipping a recruiting class is always a bad idea so I'm happy to have at least one guy in the class.
31southst
Cushing Hall

Postby claver2010 on Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:14 pm

Kid looks like he has excellent athleticism, shows a nice knack of shot blocking as well

Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby sweetriverbaines on Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:58 pm

Owens looks like a solid athlete, having a football background you'd have to assume he plays bigger than his size. With the ACC adding 3 Big East schools you would have to think that recruits will have to look @ BC as a solid option if you want to play in the # 1 college hoops league.
sweetriverbaines
n00b

Postby RedBaron67 on Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:53 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:

We're not really in a position to pass up kids with his athleticism. Going to be fun watching Hanlan and Daniels throwing him alley-oops.

A player who can chip a tooth on the rim (as Owens has) will definitely be a refreshing change of pace; he also has an intriguing upside not only in his skills but in his age -- apparently he's not 18 yet. He does need some work on his handle and his perimeter shot, but he looks like he's prepared to do the work. He's also heavily recommended as a good kid, which should be a plus for team chemistry.
RedBaron67
Campion Hall

Postby RedBaron67 on Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:20 am

Shaddix {l Wrote}:Top 2 targets for 2014:

Terrell and Cimino?

or Joseph and Brennan?

Any guard/forward pairing among the above would be wonderful, but they're all recognized quality players and will be tough gets. Terrell and Joseph both stockpiled high-major offers this summer. Brennan and Cimino have not only high majors but also academic powerhouses after them; Brennan has offers from Brown and Yale, while Cimino has attracted interest from Harvard and Stanford. At the moment, it appears that BC's best shots are with Cimino and Joseph. A good (or at least much improved) performance by BC this season would be enormously helpful for 2014 recruiting.
RedBaron67
Campion Hall

Postby BCEaglesFan on Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:34 am

RedBaron67 {l Wrote}:
Shaddix {l Wrote}:Top 2 targets for 2014:

Terrell and Cimino?

or Joseph and Brennan?

Any guard/forward pairing among the above would be wonderful, but they're all recognized quality players and will be tough gets. Terrell and Joseph both stockpiled high-major offers this summer. Brennan and Cimino have not only high majors but also academic powerhouses after them; Brennan has offers from Brown and Yale, while Cimino has attracted interest from Harvard and Stanford. At the moment, it appears that BC's best shots are with Cimino and Joseph. A good (or at least much improved) performance by BC this season would be enormously helpful for 2014 recruiting.

Cimino and Joseph have been the highest on BC of all these guys...Cimino absolutely LOVED his visit and BC has been on Joseph for a long time.
Follow me on twitter at @BeantownSports4 and at my new youtube channel BCEaglesHighlights http://www.youtube.com/user/BCEaglesHig ... ature=mhee
BCEaglesFan
Campion Hall

Postby BCEaglesFan on Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:56 am

Video of Garland committing: http://vimeo.com/51881719
Follow me on twitter at @BeantownSports4 and at my new youtube channel BCEaglesHighlights http://www.youtube.com/user/BCEaglesHig ... ature=mhee
BCEaglesFan
Campion Hall

Postby Cadillac90 on Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:49 am

BCEaglesFan {l Wrote}:Video of Garland committing: http://vimeo.com/51881719

Garland seems like a good kid. I am glad Donahue is recruiting these types of players. Two observations: (1) he said "Boston College University" - ouch and (2) where did they get that BC hat? is that an officially licensed logo?
Cadillac90
Cushing Hall

Postby claver2010 on Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:16 am

Wait, someone did the hat routine and actually picked BC? That must be a first
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby 781 on Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:30 am

no shot at Brennan. Brennan is coming off a visit to Purdue and Northwestern this past weekend. BC waited to long to offer Brennan even after everyone realized he's for along in the development process then Dennis Clifford was at this time when they they both played for Milton Academy. If BC continues to land recruits outside of New England it won't be good for coaching staffs future.
n00b

Postby wildcat81 on Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:44 am

I don't see BC getting the 4/5 star recruit, but the 3 star local players, if they fit coach D style of play, should want to play at BC.
wildcat81
Carney Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:56 am

781 {l Wrote}:no shot at Brennan. Brennan is coming off a visit to Purdue and Northwestern this past weekend. BC waited to long to offer Brennan even after everyone realized he's for along in the development process then Dennis Clifford was at this time when they they both played for Milton Academy. If BC continues to land recruits outside of New England it won't be good for coaching staffs future.

This is the kind of statement I can't read without telling the poster he/she is retarded.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:17 am

RedBaron67 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:

A player who can chip a tooth on the rim (as Owens has) will definitely be a refreshing change of pace; he also has an intriguing upside not only in his skills but in his age -- apparently he's not 18 yet. He does need some work on his handle and his perimeter shot, but he looks like he's prepared to do the work. He's also heavily recommended as a good kid, which should be a plus for team chemistry.

Donahue turned Reggie Jackson into a 50% 3 point shooter. I'm confident in his ability to take athletes and teach them basketball skill. I wish we would use this recruiting strategy more often.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:20 am

Frankly, I watched the video, and his ball skills are pretty good, and while he doesn't seem like a huge outside threat, he has a nice stroke. This is a very good get - he's stupidly athletic, big and strong, and has the core skills for the Don to work with.

If you were going to grab a 3 instead of a 4, this is a nice get.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby NJM89 on Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:18 pm

15 offers even though most of them were mid majors is still pretty good. You can't teach athleticism so another year at prep school should really help his game. Wouldn't still mind to get a big man whats up with Dingba?
NJM89
Campion Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:55 pm

sweetriverbaines {l Wrote}:Owens looks like a solid athlete, having a football background you'd have to assume he plays bigger than his size. With the ACC adding 3 Big East schools you would have to think that recruits will have to look @ BC as a solid option if you want to play in the # 1 college hoops league.

The best part of his video is his aggressiveness. One of the biggest problems most forwards have his not being aggressive enough. Size and athleticism pretty much don't matter if you can play tough and aggressive the entire time (Danya, Craig, Rashod Kent, Rodman, Duds, Artest, Barkley, etc., etc., etc.). He's got suspect height, good strength and great athleticism. If he focuses on staying relentless and constantly moving towards the basket, there is no reason he can be a high ACC player. I don't think he will be much of a shooter, but I think he will be a high effort, scrappy player. I love those types.

I think Owens is a great compliment to what we have returning next year. However, we still NEED to land a PF in THIS CLASS. Don't give me nonsense about 2014 players who won't be interested in us past April. We needed another big last year. Avoiding it two years in a row is simply sticking your head in the sand.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:00 pm

Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:
BCEaglesFan {l Wrote}:Video of Garland committing: http://vimeo.com/51881719

Garland seems like a good kid. I am glad Donahue is recruiting these types of players. Two observations: (1) he said "Boston College University" - ouch and (2) where did they get that BC hat? is that an officially licensed logo?

I liked the hat... it seemed like the old school version from back in my era.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:11 pm

Probably not fair to compare him to a McD's all american, but his size and slashing game in those clips reminds of Mike Jones. Maybe he can develop a similar jumper.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eagle9903 on Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:12 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
sweetriverbaines {l Wrote}:Owens looks like a solid athlete, having a football background you'd have to assume he plays bigger than his size. With the ACC adding 3 Big East schools you would have to think that recruits will have to look @ BC as a solid option if you want to play in the # 1 college hoops league.

The best part of his video is his aggressiveness. One of the biggest problems most forwards have his not being aggressive enough. Size and athleticism pretty much don't matter if you can play tough and aggressive the entire time (Danya, Craig, Rashod Kent, Rodman, Duds, Artest, Barkley, etc., etc., etc.). He's got suspect height, good strength and great athleticism. If he focuses on staying relentless and constantly moving towards the basket, there is no reason he can be a high ACC player. I don't think he will be much of a shooter, but I think he will be a high effort, scrappy player. I love those types.

I think Owens is a great compliment to what we have returning next year. However, we still NEED to land a PF in THIS CLASS. Don't give me nonsense about 2014 players who won't be interested in us past April. We needed another big last year. Avoiding it two years in a row is simply sticking your head in the sand.

Not that its any more in response to this post than the billion others calling for big man depth and not that I don't think it would be great to have, but out of the three best Skinner teams in my opinion, neither the 2000-2001 (6'8 Agbai and 6'7 Beerbohm backed up by 6'8 B-Ross [this was not actually the lineup a lot of the time as they played smaller than this] and Andrew Dudley was on the team but only played in five games and had three FGA, making one) nor the 2004-2005 (Dornekamp and Smith backed up by *** *******, with Oates and McLain on the team but barely playing as true frosh) had good frontcourt depth. 2000-01 was worse than the current situation beyond argument, but the guard play was the engine behind that team so its not a straight apples to apples comparison. 2004-05 was at worse a little bit better than the current situation, Williams was wayyy better than anything we have no off the bench as a true frosh, but at that point his offensive game was disgustingly bad and he had less boards than Jermaine Watson, he was fun to watch play though. 2005-06 had decent front court depth.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:21 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

Not that its any more in response to this post than the billion others calling for big man depth and not that I don't think it would be great to have, but out of the three best Skinner teams in my opinion, neither the 2000-2001 (6'8 Agbai and 6'7 Beerbohm backed up by 6'8 B-Ross [this was not actually the lineup a lot of the time as they played smaller than this] and Andrew Dudley was on the team but only played in five games and had three FGA, making one) nor the 2004-2005 (Dornekamp and Smith backed up by *** *******, with Oates and McLain on the team but barely playing as true frosh) had good frontcourt depth. 2000-01 was worse than the current situation beyond argument, but the guard play was the engine behind that team so its not a straight apples to apples comparison. 2004-05 was at worse a little bit better than the current situation, Williams was wayyy better than anything we have no off the bench as a true frosh, but at that point his offensive game was disgustingly bad and he had less boards than Jermaine Watson, he was fun to watch play though. 2005-06 had decent front court depth.

Skinner played the Flex. Donahue wants to run.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eagle9903 on Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:42 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

Doesn't that make going small for longer stretches more palatable?
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:58 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

I suppose. What it really requires is more depth.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eagle9903 on Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:03 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

But Its a different kind of depth, in that you can get away with say Anderson at the 5 or Odio on the court potentially, if it is actually working.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:24 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

But Its a different kind of depth, in that you can get away with say Anderson at the 5 or Odio on the court potentially, if it is actually working.

Can't start the break without the defensive rebound.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby BCEaglesFan on Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:29 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

Which Donahue said would be the team's biggest improvement this year...
BCEaglesFan
Campion Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:50 pm

BCEaglesFan {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

Like I said, terrible is easy to improve upon.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:54 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

I don't think we need another 7-footer, but I don't see a viable ACC 4 or 5 on this roster outside of Clifford and Anderson. I am 100% all on board for us landing a player who is 6'7" or 6'8" and is either a banger or very athletic.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby apbc12 on Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:57 pm

BCEaglesFan {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

And The Don said, "Let there be rebounding," and there was rebounding. And The Don saw the rebounding, and it was good.
apbc12
Higgins Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:08 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

I don't think we need another 7-footer, but I don't see a viable ACC 4 or 5 on this roster outside of Clifford and Anderson. I am 100% all on board for us landing a player who is 6'7" or 6'8" and is either a banger or very athletic.

I agree it would be better to have such a player, I just disagree a lot that it is imperative to the tune of we will not go .500 under any circumstances if we don't have an "ACC caliber 4 or 5" (seemingly defined as an additional starter for some reason), which seems to be the implication by some - not necessarily you - posters on here.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:18 pm

I just think if the Don wants to run, he needs at least one more PF, be it a Raji type or a more classic rebounder. You can go small, but you still need guys at the 4 and 5 and the more you run, the more Clifford and Anderson need rest. And by going small, you can't just move Heckmann to the 4. I am also taking a wait and see approach on Odio - if he wants to use those hops to go bang on the boards for 10 mins a game with some aggressiveness, that works. In the meantime, they should be looking for someone for next season.
twballgame9
BC Guy

PreviousNext

Return to Conte Forum