Commits/Recruiting

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

2 Bigs Possibly Looking For New Homes

Postby InTheKnow on Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:39 pm

Melsahn Basabe 6'7 PF St. Marks(Siena) and Carson Derosiers 6'11 Central Catholic(Wake Forest). Both players are committed to their respectable schools but both players are stuck in a situation where their future head coaches have been fired before they even had a chance to arrive on campus. There's no doubt in my mind that they are both thinking about decommiting. I think Donahue and his future staff should pursue these 2 local bigs
InTheKnow
n00b

Re: 2 Bigs Possibly Looking For New Homes

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:48 pm

InTheKnow {l Wrote}:Melsahn Basabe 6'7 PF St. Marks(Siena) and Carson Derosiers 6'11 Central Catholic(Wake Forest). Both players are committed to their respectable schools but both players are stuck in a situation where their future head coaches have been fired before they even had a chance to arrive on campus. There's no doubt in my mind that they are both thinking about decommiting. I think Donahue and his future staff should pursue these 2 local bigs

No. Cameron. Period. For . God's. Sake.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Re: Commits/Recruiting

Postby Art Vandelay on Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:49 am

bignick33 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
NotoriousOrange {l Wrote}:Why do you think that TWB?

Because I have seen him play. Think "MacFarland".

MacFarland is a thousand times better than Southern.

Is that really saying much?
Art Vandelay
McGuinn Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:54 am

Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

No. And fair enough, even as a 6'10'', 170 lbs center, he could probably help BC right now.

And MacFarland spent 4 years putting on 40-50 pounds to become a serviceable rebounder.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby DuchesneEast on Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:00 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

No. And fair enough, even as a 6'10'', 170 lbs center, he could probably help BC right now.

And MacFarland spent 4 years putting on 40-50 pounds to become a serviceable rebounder.

Its not hard to put that much weight on esp on that frame, lots of olympic style lifting and lots of protein.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby bignick33 on Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:21 am

Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

Thanks for adding nothing with this comment. The point is, that we need a center like Vin Baker needs a beer.
I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:22 am

Good news for the cambridge85's of the world:

Donahue plans to recruit top local talent.
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:26 am

b0mberMan {l Wrote}:Good news for the cambridge85's of the world:

If you only focus on the really good players, it won't be much different than it is now.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby NotoriousOrange on Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:56 am

DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

Its not hard to put that much weight on esp on that frame, lots of olympic style lifting and lots of protein.

TWB - you are making Desrosiers out to be less than he is.

He is rated in the top 10 of centers in this class. From looking at him he is about 220 to 230 - not a stick-like Manute Bol type player. He is very competitive, has a little bit of a mean streak in him and comes up big in the clutch. The fact that is is not Shaquille should not be held against him. He would be a very good addtion to BC
NotoriousOrange
Cushing Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:59 am

NotoriousOrange {l Wrote}:
DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

TWB - you are making Desrosiers out to be less than he is.

He is rated in the top 10 of centers in this class. From looking at him he is about 220 to 230 - not a stick-like Manute Bol type player. He is very competitive, has alittle bit of a mean streak in him and comes up big in the clutch. The facts that is is not Shaquille should not be held against him. He would be a very good addtion to BC

That anyone would rate him in the top 10 centers is laughable. I make him out to be what I saw on the court. Mediocre. Which doesn't translate to ACC ball.

Hoop around here blows in general. The decent players get way overrated. He could help BC because BC has shit at center. But I prefer that they aim a little higher.

Hey, if the guy is the second coming, feel free to put my comments in your sig.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Art Vandelay on Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:18 am

I've never seen the kid play but Scott Hazelton seem to have a little man crush on him:

http://www.scotthazeltonbasketball.com/blog/
Art Vandelay
McGuinn Hall

Postby BCMcG on Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:44 am

Scott Hazelton {l Wrote}:Desrosiers has not only proven himself to be the best high school basktball player to take the floor in the Merrimack Valley, but in my opinion, he has proven himself to be the most dominant basketball player in the history of Massachusetts high school basketball. Wow! Nobody has done it all the way Desorsiers has.

Wow! Better than Patrick Ewing? Better than Bill Curley? We better hope he decommits from Wake and comes to BC. :?
BCMcG
McGuinn Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:56 am

Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:I've never seen the kid play but Scott Hazelton seem to have a little man crush on him:

http://www.scotthazeltonbasketball.com/blog/

Hazelton can give him a lesson or two on being grotesquely overrated.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby BCEagles25 on Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:39 pm

b0mberMan {l Wrote}:Good news for the cambridge85's of the world:

I would say that's good news for everyone. Somewhere along the long beaten road that is pick-up games and not arranging practice, Al Skinner forgot to recruit.
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby InTheKnow on Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:14 am

If Coach D is trying to keep the local kids home then he should also consider calling Austin Carroll. Austin is a 6'3 sharp shooter out of Bedford, Ma son of former Celtic John Carroll. Austin had signed to play for Rutgers in the fall but since coach Hill got fired Carroll might be looking for a new home.
InTheKnow
n00b

Postby BCEagles25 on Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:29 pm

J.P. Tokoto is the #1 overall SF prospect for the 2011 class and he originally had interest in BC. Not surprisingly, Al Skinner did not pursue him. I wonder if Stevie D will.
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby BC923 on Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:26 am

Has anyone heard of Naofall Folahan? He plays at Wilbraham and Monson Academy in Massachusetts. He's a 6-10 230 Pound center, who is uncommitted. He has a low grade on ESPN but he's a native of Benin, Africa who hasn't been playing for many years. ESPN says that he has barely scratched the surface of his potential, and is improving all the time. As of now he is a big time shot blocker and dunker, and the kind of guy that can run the floor very well.

While not being ideal, I think this kid would be a good target for Donahue as it is late in the recruiting game and most of the best players are committed already. I think that we need to bring in a true center this class and there aren't many out there.
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby BCEagles25 on Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:22 pm

85 isn't that low. It's pretty much the "project/mid-major starter" grade. If he really has more potential, I'm okay with an 85 ESPN grade. I'm thinking if we're going to use this last schollie, we might as well use it on a 6'10 shot blocker because that's exactly what we need.
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby totheights on Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:33 pm

BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:85 isn't that low. It's pretty much the "project/mid-major starter" grade. If he really has more potential, I'm okay with an 85 ESPN grade. I'm thinking if we're going to use this last schollie, we might as well use it on a 6'10 shot blocker because that's exactly what we need.

Our last 6'10" blocker didn't work out well..... :lol:

He may be worth the risk if we can't snag a transfer or two.
totheights
Carney Hall

Postby BC923 on Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:22 pm

totheights {l Wrote}:
BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:85 isn't that low. It's pretty much the "project/mid-major starter" grade. If he really has more potential, I'm okay with an 85 ESPN grade. I'm thinking if we're going to use this last schollie, we might as well use it on a 6'10 shot blocker because that's exactly what we need.

:lol: He actually sounds a lot like :seanwilliams in the write up in that he hasn't played very much basketball but he is very physically gifted and a shot blocking center. I agree, if we can't get a more ready to play type center then this would be a good pick up.
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby BCEagles25 on Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:24 pm

totheights {l Wrote}:

Not all 6'10 shot blockers throw computer monitors around and roll doobies.
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby BC923 on Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:31 pm

from ESPN (http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/recruiti ... eason=2010)

"Folahan has incredible physical tools with great mobility and athleticism for someone of his size and length. His ability to run, jump, and slide his feet gives him a very high upside down the road, but he still remains a raw prospect with lots to learn. Defensively, he changes the game with his shot blocking ability but is consistently in foul trouble. His best offense is a dunk, which he gets by running the court and being a live body, but he needs to develop a go to move with his back to the basket and a 10-12 footer when facing the basket.

This big, raw center seemed to improved with every step he took. Naofall Folahan has a chance to be very good before it is all said and done. Many players enter their junior year in high school and they have max'ed out their ability. They have grown all they are going to grow and "what you see, is what you get." And then there are a few athletes that have barely scratched the surface of their potential in high school and continue to grow and mature during their college years. Naofall appears to be one of those late blooming big men that will benefit from age and work in the weight room."

Sounds like a pretty good project to me.
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby totheights on Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:49 pm

Any one have an updates on recruiting? Is Donahue going after some potential transfers? Looking to add to the 2010 class? Keeping Noreen? Working on the 2011 class?

Any updates would be awesome....
totheights
Carney Hall

Postby totheights on Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:42 pm

totheights {l Wrote}:Any one have an updates on recruiting? Is Donahue going after some potential transfers? Looking to add to the 2010 class? Keeping Noreen? Working on the 2011 class?

Any updates would be awesome....

Bump? Anyone hearing anything?
totheights
Carney Hall

Postby BCEagles25 on Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:44 pm

If there are ever any updates, one of us will post them. I'd like to know who Stevie D is going after too.
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby NJM89 on Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:05 am

http://www.newenglandrecruitingreport.com/news/article/1344/Basabe-Gets-Release.php

Before signing his National Letter of Intent, Basabe secured an agreement with the school's athletic director that said he would be granted a full release should McCaffery leave to take another job.

In addition to Iowa, Basabe is also drawing interest from Indiana, Texas, and Boston College.

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/recruiting/tracker/player?recruitId=57285&season=2010&action=upsell&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fncb%2frecruiting%2ftracker%2fplayer%3frecruitId%3d57285%26season%3d2010
NJM89
Campion Hall

Postby totheights on Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:36 am

InTheKnow {l Wrote}:Melsahn Basabe 6'7 PF St. Marks(Siena) and Carson Derosiers 6'11 Central Catholic(Wake Forest). Both players are committed to their respectable schools but both players are stuck in a situation where their future head coaches have been fired before they even had a chance to arrive on campus. There's no doubt in my mind that they are both thinking about decommiting. I think Donahue and his future staff should pursue these 2 local bigs

Basabe was just released from his LOI.

http://www.newenglandrecruitingreport.com/news/article/1344/Basabe-Gets-Release.php

I wonder if the Don has any interest though?
totheights
Carney Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:19 am

totheights {l Wrote}:

Basabe would be a good pick-up if Nado is leaving, they both seem like similar players. I'll always take athletic PF's. The key one I see is Noreen, it would really help to hang onto him he seems like he'd flourish in this offense.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:27 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
totheights {l Wrote}:

Basabe would be a good pick-up if Nado is leaving, they both seem like similar players. I'll always take athletic PF's. The key one I see is Noreen, it would really help to hang onto him he seems like he'd flourish in this offense.

Keeping Noreen around should be a huge part of what this staff is doing right now. I worry that he (or others) may look at the past couple days, see a sinking ship (even though that's not necessarily the truth), and bolt simply for that reason and that reason alone.

The bigger question in my mind is if Noreen does leave, will OJ call a kid who played a whole game with a ruptured spleen "lazy"? Stay tuned.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby totheights on Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:12 am

Iowa fans are having a field day with Melsahn's decommitment. They are 100% sure he is going there because Fran recruited him to Siena.

I guess we can stop talking about him.
totheights
Carney Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Conte Forum