Commits/Recruiting

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Commits/Recruiting

Postby Shaddix on Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:33 pm

"I think rebounding is where we will improve the most." -Donahue #ACCMediaDay

It's as if I said this 3 months ago, then again last week......
Shaddix
Campion Hall

Postby Shaddix on Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:38 pm

BCEaglesFan {l Wrote}:BC is out on Noah Vonleh. They aren't in his top 6.

Maybe the Owens offer was a sign of them giving up and moving on.

Noah Vonleh hasn't released his top 6......?
Shaddix
Campion Hall

Postby BCEaglesFan on Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:42 pm

Shaddix {l Wrote}:

http://blogs.eagletribune.com/mvsports/ ... a-super-6/

Hoff said he heard the same thing as this article.
Follow me on twitter at @BeantownSports4 and at my new youtube channel BCEaglesHighlights http://www.youtube.com/user/BCEaglesHig ... ature=mhee
BCEaglesFan
Campion Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:13 pm

Shaddix {l Wrote}:
"I think rebounding is where we will improve the most." -Donahue #ACCMediaDay

It's as if I said this 3 months ago, then again last week......

Can't do much worse, nowhere to go but up. That said, he must be assuming Anderson becomes a 20 rebound guy because none of the rest of them are good rebounders.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Shaddix on Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:38 pm

BCEaglesFan {l Wrote}:
Shaddix {l Wrote}:

It's not anywhere on twitter, and that's the only article. I'll believe it more when I see it in more places. He's been high on BC this whole time and suddenly they don't even make his top 6. Just can't believe that.
Shaddix
Campion Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:24 pm

Shaddix {l Wrote}:
BCEaglesFan {l Wrote}:
Shaddix {l Wrote}:

It's not anywhere on twitter, and that's the only article. I'll believe it more when I see it in more places. He's been high on BC this whole time and suddenly they don't even make his top 6. Just can't believe that.

The reason we didn't make the list is that frankly we suck. Improve the program and these kids will be interested.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Shaddix on Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:20 pm

Following a 2012 recruiting class in which Seton Hall didn't add any new players, the Pirates are working on a solid 2013 haul. ESPN 100 guard Aquille Carr is already committed, and plenty of other prospects are on the radar.

Among them is Jerron Wilbut (Chicago/Downers Grove South). According to Adam Zagoria, the three-star shooting guard visited South Orange over the weekend and came away impressed. Seton Hall could use a scorer like Wilbut, but will have to contend with Xavier, Marquette, Virginia Tech, Wisconsin-Green Bay and Memphis if they want to land him.

Jevon Thomas visited the Pirates over the weekend as well and Garland Owens is lined up to check out the school this weekend.

ESPN

Jerron Wilbut is back from the abyss, probably wouldn't qualify for BC
Shaddix
Campion Hall

Postby vegasEagle on Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:26 pm

Shaddix {l Wrote}:
Following a 2012 recruiting class in which Seton Hall didn't add any new players, the Pirates are working on a solid 2013 haul. ESPN 100 guard Aquille Carr is already committed, and plenty of other prospects are on the radar.

Among them is Jerron Wilbut (Chicago/Downers Grove South). According to Adam Zagoria, the three-star shooting guard visited South Orange over the weekend and came away impressed. Seton Hall could use a scorer like Wilbut, but will have to contend with Xavier, Marquette, Virginia Tech, Wisconsin-Green Bay and Memphis if they want to land him.

Jevon Thomas visited the Pirates over the weekend as well and Garland Owens is lined up to check out the school this weekend.

ESPN

Is this the kid who was down to Wazzou and BC for 2012?
2020 E.O. PICK EM CHAMPION
2021 E.O. PICK EM CHAMPION
vegasEagle
Campion Hall

Postby BCEaglesFan on Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:37 am

vegasEagle {l Wrote}:
Shaddix {l Wrote}:

ESPN

Is this the kid who was down to Wazzou and BC for 2012?

That was Jordan Tebbutt. He never decided.
Follow me on twitter at @BeantownSports4 and at my new youtube channel BCEaglesHighlights http://www.youtube.com/user/BCEaglesHig ... ature=mhee
BCEaglesFan
Campion Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:21 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
Shaddix {l Wrote}:
BCEaglesFan {l Wrote}:
Shaddix {l Wrote}:

The reason we didn't make the list is that frankly we suck. Improve the program and these kids will be interested.

I agree, for the most part you have to win first without the top recruits to get them. Or we could have hired Ed Cooley, but I remain somewhat pessimistic that he will ever actually be able to do much with his Providence bigtime recruits and pessimistic that any of them would have gone to BC for one reason or another.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby RedBaron67 on Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:27 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
Shaddix {l Wrote}:
BCEaglesFan {l Wrote}:
Shaddix {l Wrote}:

I agree, for the most part you have to win first without the top recruits to get them. Or we could have hired Ed Cooley, but I remain somewhat pessimistic that he will ever actually be able to do much with his Providence bigtime recruits and pessimistic that any of them would have gone to BC for one reason or another.

I still expect that Cooley will give BC some headaches in the future, but certainly he couldn't have recruited at BC the way he's recruited at Providence (can you possibly imagine BC's academic screening committee approving Ricky Ledo?). As for Vonleh, he was always a long shot simply because he was good enough to interest the big-name programs from the beginning; when Donahue offered Vonleh two years ago, Boeheim was also in the gym, and a few weeks later Vonleh got an offer from Kansas. BC's program will have to improve significantly before having a realistic shot at local superstars like Vonleh.
RedBaron67
Campion Hall

Postby HJS on Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:49 pm

Even if Anderson or Clifford get drafted in the first round, we don't have the assistants necessary to recruit at this level. I mean... you all saw that freaking Kevin Ollie is still in the mix for Vonleh, right? What the hell has he ever accomplished??? Recruiting is 80% sales and 20% evaluation. It is hard to say that the current set assistants are good at either.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:56 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:Even if Anderson or Clifford get drafted in the first round, we don't have the assistants necessary to recruit at this level. I mean... you all saw that freaking Kevin Ollie is still in the mix for Vonleh, right? What the hell has he ever accomplished??? Recruiting is 80% sales and 20% evaluation. It is hard to say that the current set assistants are good at either.

He played in the NBA for 13 years and was presumably one of the top assistant coaches on a national championship team and a perennial basketball powerhouse. Good try though.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby HJS on Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:07 pm

flyingelvii {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:Even if Anderson or Clifford get drafted in the first round, we don't have the assistants necessary to recruit at this level. I mean... you all saw that freaking Kevin Ollie is still in the mix for Vonleh, right? What the hell has he ever accomplished??? Recruiting is 80% sales and 20% evaluation. It is hard to say that the current set assistants are good at either.

He played in the NBA for 13 years and was presumably one of the top assistant coaches on a national championship team and a perennial basketball powerhouse. Good try though.

When the eff did we get merrymen in BB? Are you seriously telling me that you would want Kevin Ollie as our head coach?? Kevin Ollie is terrible and will be fired within 4 years. Your desperate attempt at justifying crappy recruiting by lifting up Kevin Ollie as some sort of BB icon is pathetic.

I like Donahue and thought he had a chance to be successful here. But, that all changed when he lost Joe Jones and replaced him on the staff with Woody Kampmann.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:09 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
flyingelvii {l Wrote}:

When the eff did we get merrymen in BB? Are you seriously telling me that you would want Kevin Ollie as our head coach?? Kevin Ollie is terrible and will be fired within 4 years. Your desperate attempt at justifying crappy recruiting by lifting up Kevin Ollie as some sort of BB icon is pathetic.

I like Donahue and thought he had a chance to be successful here. But, that all changed when he lost Joe Jones and replaced him on the staff with Woody Kampmann.

I legitimately have no idea what the fuck you are talking about or how you gleaned that from what I said.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:12 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
flyingelvii {l Wrote}:

While you may be ultimately correct (I don't think you are), Ollie is the head coach of a program which has won three national championships within the last 15 years. That makes it a pretty awful comparison.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:14 pm

flyingelvii {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
flyingelvii {l Wrote}:

I legitimately have no idea what the fuck you are talking about or how you gleaned that from what I said.

That was a stretch.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby QuailMan on Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:09 am

Garland Owens decides today at 4pm
QuailMan
Carney Hall

Postby Shaddix on Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:03 pm

Commit! Garland committed to BC
Shaddix
Campion Hall

Postby joesim on Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:06 pm

joesim
McGuinn Hall

Postby BCEaglesFan on Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:10 pm

Great news on Owens. Interesting part of his interview:
Are you recruiting anyone to join you at Boston College?

Probably [class of 2013 small forward] Rashard Kelly. He’s here with me at Massanutten and they’re looking at him right now. They haven’t offered but they’re very interested in him.
BCEaglesFan
Campion Hall

Postby Brablc on Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:06 pm

BCEaglesFan {l Wrote}:Great news on Owens. Interesting part of his interview:

Probably [class of 2013 small forward] Rashard Kelly. He’s here with me at Massanutten and they’re looking at him right now. They haven’t offered but they’re very interested in him.

I'm excited about Owens. Sounds like a really good kid who could be an elite talent if he can shore up some of weaknesses (shooting, dribbling). Good get!

Not sure what to think of Kelly. I would say nay since Owens is more of a SF anyway.
Brablc
McGuinn Hall

Postby Shaddix on Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:22 pm

Brablc {l Wrote}:
BCEaglesFan {l Wrote}:Great news on Owens. Interesting part of his interview:

I'm excited about Owens. Sounds like a really good kid who could be an elite talent if he can shore up some of weaknesses (shooting, dribbling). Good get!

Not sure what to think of Kelly. I would say nay since Owens is more of a SF anyway.

Owens HAS to improve his shooting dramatically this year if he wants to see significant time next year. He also needs to shore up ball handling, passing, dribbling a bit. But he could prove to be a great get if Donahue can turn this athlete into a basketball player.

Top 2 targets for 2014:

Terrell and Cimino?

or Joseph and Brennan?
Shaddix
Campion Hall

Postby MattTheEagle on Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:18 pm

Shaddix {l Wrote}:Commit! Garland committed to BC

Excellent news! I'm looking forward to seeing him play for BC! :screamyeagle :screamyeagle :screamyeagle
MattTheEagle
Campion Hall

Postby Thornton Melon on Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:25 pm

But, that all changed when he lost Joe Jones and replaced him on the staff with Woody Kampmann.

I think this is really the true damnation of the Greasy Gene era. Recruiting coordinator in football his vacation buddy. Basketball they don't require the head coach to actually hire a D1 recruiter. This is where Bates has to make an immediate impact - not sure if he'll see it that way, but I don't know how you can play in the ACC without the ability to recruit talent somewhat on par with other ACC schools.
Thornton Melon
Carney Hall

Postby vegasEagle on Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:40 pm

Thornton Melon {l Wrote}:
But, that all changed when he lost Joe Jones and replaced him on the staff with Woody Kampmann.

I think this is really the true damnation of the Greasy Gene era. Recruiting coordinator in football his vacation buddy. Basketball they don't require the head coach to actually hire a D1 recruiter. This is where Bates has to make an immediate impact - not sure if he'll see it that way, but I don't know how you can play in the ACC without the ability to recruit talent somewhat on par with other ACC schools.

You lost me here. Are you saying a 30 year old is gene's vacation buddy? In fact, you really lost me here.
2020 E.O. PICK EM CHAMPION
2021 E.O. PICK EM CHAMPION
vegasEagle
Campion Hall

Postby Thornton Melon on Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:53 pm

The football board has been saying Siravo and Gene are tight for years. If I'm wrong about that, I'm wrong. Plus Siravo is almost 40.
Thornton Melon
Carney Hall

Postby Shaddix on Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:00 pm

Thornton Melon {l Wrote}:The football board has been saying Siravo and Gene are tight for years. If I'm wrong about that, I'm wrong. Plus Siravo is almost 40.

BC gets its first recruit of the year and you come in here and bring this up? :whalepants
Shaddix
Campion Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:13 pm

Excellent news! Welcome Garland!
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:18 pm

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:

Excellent news! Welcome Garland!

We're not really in a position to pass up kids with his athleticism. Going to be fun watching Hanlan and Daniels throwing him alley-oops.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Conte Forum