Commits/Recruiting

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Commits/Recruiting

Postby Brablc on Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:52 am

I don't think the situation with Hicks is really any of those things; as I noted above, this is a very odd set of circumstances in which falling out of fashion seems to have as much as anything else to do with Hicks' availability. Some big-name schools offered him after a sensational freshman year; then he had to sit out his sophomore year after transferring from Shelby County to Trinity, which put him a bit on the back burner with those schools. They then cooled off still further when he had a less impressive junior season (12 ppg) as a complementary player on the Trinity team. This seems to have been a combination of Hicks being a little rusty after a year out of competition and him being a junior transfer on a team with a strong senior core (which won the state championship). An early injury this year slowed down his comeback a little more; by this time, the schools that had offered him as a freshman had moved on to other, hotter prospects. Hicks' recruiting effectively started all over again, with his stock relatively depressed - hence the appearance of WKU and FIU on the scene. His play this year has shown that he still has the talent, so Hicks could be a historic steal (not to mention an extraordinary fluke) for BC, maybe even a steal on the level of Michael Adams or Jared Dudley. BC still has to get him to commit, of course, but the visit looks very promising. Now, if they could just get Hamilton to commit to a visit....

Nice analysis! Yeah, I think he would be a really good fit for us. Let's hope the 22nd has great weather and/or we're still playing for something.
Brablc
McGuinn Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:32 am

At this point, I don't even care if the players are big name guys or even diamonds in the rough. They need a guard and a PF/C, and they need them both to be able to give 10-15 mins per game next season. If its Hicks and Hamilton, fine, get her done. If not, find someone. We can't go another year with the guards playing 40 mins and relying on Clifford to be out there for long periods.

Team is going to be real good at 4 positions next season, with some depth at 3 of those 4 positions (assuming Drago is ready to roll). One guard and one rebounder could make the team excellent, and provide insurance for what happened this season. It is frustrating that we have to wait until April signing period to find out if Anderson is going to have to play center for another year.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eagle9903 on Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:20 am

RedBaron67 {l Wrote}:
Brablc {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
Brablc {l Wrote}:Also update on Hicks. Looks like he's visiting BC on March 22nd:

https://twitter.com/SteveJones_CJ/statu ... 8848456704

I continue to be at a loss as to how a recruit goes from offers from Arizona, Indiana and FSU to places like WKY and FIU AND it is in a manner in which BC can still recruit him (he didn't kill a bunch of people or fail out of school presumably) AND he hasn't all of a sudden become terrible at basketball (Kentucky Mr. Basketball finalist)

Yeah, I'm with you. Don't really understand it. The only thing I can think of is that they thought he would grow or gain high level athleticism and he failed to do so. But in general, he looks like a player that would fit in nicely with our guards.
HJS {l Wrote}:I'm curious too. If I had to guess... either (a) his BC offer is contingent on admission (who very well may reject) or (b) Mr. Basketball in Kentucky isn't a big deal (the other finalist are signed with Kentucky, Bellarmine and William & Mary).

I don't think the situation with Hicks is really any of those things; as I noted above, this is a very odd set of circumstances in which falling out of fashion seems to have as much as anything else to do with Hicks' availability. Some big-name schools offered him after a sensational freshman year; then he had to sit out his sophomore year after transferring from Shelby County to Trinity, which put him a bit on the back burner with those schools. They then cooled off still further when he had a less impressive junior season (12 ppg) as a complementary player on the Trinity team. This seems to have been a combination of Hicks being a little rusty after a year out of competition and him being a junior transfer on a team with a strong senior core (which won the state championship). An early injury this year slowed down his comeback a little more; by this time, the schools that had offered him as a freshman had moved on to other, hotter prospects. Hicks' recruiting effectively started all over again, with his stock relatively depressed - hence the appearance of WKU and FIU on the scene. His play this year has shown that he still has the talent, so Hicks could be a historic steal (not to mention an extraordinary fluke) for BC, maybe even a steal on the level of Michael Adams or Jared Dudley. BC still has to get him to commit, of course, but the visit looks very promising. Now, if they could just get Hamilton to commit to a visit....

I hope he works out and I have more confidence in Donahue and staff's talent assessment than some on here, but it is a far drop from Louisville, Kentucky type interest and Arizona and Indiana type offers after freshman year to WKU and FIU type offers as a senior. There is a large pool of schools that you'd think to find in between looking to take a chance on a player who was once considered a top 50 type recruit. I realize a lot of stuff can and in this case seems to have happened, transfer to a better team followed by maybe a bit of overshadowing by senior teamates and injury etc. It just seems different to a Dudley type recruitment in that other programs were never really looking closely at Dudley as opposed to him being a well tracked player that the big teams and middle tier teams all lost interest in. Adams is an entirely different era of recruiting where teams stayed regional and it was entirely possible for bigtime players to get missed.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby HJS on Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:18 pm

As someone pointed out earlier, Hick's recruitment closely tracks that of Shamari Spears. That said, I've alway liked Spears and think he was a servicable player. But, I don't think this is a situation where a player of elite talent is just dropping into our lap.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Brablc on Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:10 pm

Get the Sports Video crew on getting the tape of Hanlan's first round ACC performance. Send that to the recruits and say that you will get to play with this kid. :chewbanka

Incredible performance
Brablc
McGuinn Hall

Postby MattTheEagle on Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:17 pm

Brablc {l Wrote}:Get the Sports Video crew on getting the tape of Hanlan's first round ACC performance. Send that to the recruits and say that you will get to play with this kid. :chewbanka

Incredible performance

If any BC prospects watched that game, they'd have reason to want to commit right now. What an exciting game!
MattTheEagle
Campion Hall

Postby footer20 on Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:32 pm

MattTheEagle {l Wrote}:
Brablc {l Wrote}:Get the Sports Video crew on getting the tape of Hanlan's first round ACC performance. Send that to the recruits and say that you will get to play with this kid. :chewbanka

Incredible performance

If any BC prospects watched that game, they'd have reason to want to commit right now. What an exciting game!

I bet you Jorgenson watched that.
footer20
McGuinn Hall

Postby BCEaglesFan on Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:03 pm

footer20 {l Wrote}:
MattTheEagle {l Wrote}:

Incredible performance

I bet you Jorgenson watched that.

Apparently Jorgenson was at the game in Chestnut Hill too.
Follow me on twitter at @BeantownSports4 and at my new youtube channel BCEaglesHighlights http://www.youtube.com/user/BCEaglesHig ... ature=mhee
BCEaglesFan
Campion Hall

Postby BCFan2009 on Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:39 pm

Now would be a good time to flip from GT commitment to BC, eh Jorgenson?
BCFan2009
n00b

Postby Iggle on Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:01 pm

Well, that probably pushed him away even more, considering the supposed reason for his GT commitment was playing time.
zzz
Iggle
Campion Hall

Postby Oliver Closeoff on Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:43 pm

While I think Hicks could be a steal, BC needs a good big(s) more. Kelly and Hamilton would be ideal and if you bring in Hicks then I see LoJack as possible Transfer. Caudill leaves too and there's your two spots for the 2014 class.
Oliver Closeoff
McGuinn Hall

Postby Brablc on Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:18 pm

Oliver Closeoff {l Wrote}:While I think Hicks could be a steal, BC needs a good big(s) more. Kelly and Hamilton would be ideal and if you bring in Hicks then I see LoJack as possible Transfer. Caudill leaves too and there's your two spots for the 2014 class.

With both Hicks and Hamilton / Kelly, we would still have 1 schollie with Van Nest leaving for 2014. Any transfers would add to that number.
Brablc
McGuinn Hall

Postby BCEagles25 on Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:16 am

Lonnie Jackson leaving would be an awful thing for this team. He's a part of a really solid rotation of guards that does some damage with a 3-4 guard lineup. That's only going to get better with Drago getting into the mix, and hopefully Hicks.

PG: Hanlan / Rahon
SG: Rahon / Jackson / Hicks
WING/3G: Heckmann, Drago, Jackson, Hicks, Odio

Wow, I'd be excited to see that. boy do I like BC basketball.
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby BCEaglesFan on Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:23 am

According to a poster on EA BC and NU were 2 of the teams on Thomas Hamilton's short list and since NU, and since NU fired Carmody it could help BC's chances.

Also, BC was involved with NU's 2 signed recruits, Nate Taphorn and Jaren Sina. Apparently BC really liked Taphorn over the summer, and Donahue has a good relatinship w/his AAU coach. Just something to look out for if they ask out of their LOI.

UPDATE: Taphorn is staying at NU, so now we wait on Sina's decision.
Follow me on twitter at @BeantownSports4 and at my new youtube channel BCEaglesHighlights http://www.youtube.com/user/BCEaglesHig ... ature=mhee
BCEaglesFan
Campion Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:30 am

BCEaglesFan {l Wrote}:According to a poster on EA BC and NU were 2 of the teams on Thomas Hamilton's short list and since NU, and since NU fired Carmody it could help BC's chances.

Also, BC was involved with NU's 2 signed recruits, Nate Taphorn and Jaren Sina. Apparently BC really liked Taphorn over the summer, and Donahue has a good relatinship w/his AAU coach. Just something to look out for if they ask out of their LOI.

why so sure about Taphorn staying? Newspaper/twitter has him quoted as saying he will "keep an open mind" on new NU coach. I didn't see anything more definitive than that.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby BCEaglesFan on Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:46 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
BCEaglesFan {l Wrote}:According to a poster on EA BC and NU were 2 of the teams on Thomas Hamilton's short list and since NU, and since NU fired Carmody it could help BC's chances.

why so sure about Taphorn staying? Newspaper/twitter has him quoted as saying he will "keep an open mind" on new NU coach. I didn't see anything more definitive than that.

A tweet said.

I'm more focused on the Hamilton news myself.
BCEaglesFan
Campion Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:13 pm

BCEaglesFan {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

A tweet said.

Hamilton definitely fills an actual need which is nice, I don't know that we'd have room for what appears to be a dragicivech clone (Taphorn might be a lot better, who knows), but I think Taphorn backed off the initial claim that he was sticking around.

Sina would be a terrific get, I don't know that he ever had any interest in BC though.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby HJS on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:18 pm

After failing to replace Joe Jones, it should be noted that super-recruiter Fred Hill is now available.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:39 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
BCEaglesFan {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

A tweet said.

Hamilton definitely fills an actual need which is nice, I don't know that we'd have room for what appears to be a dragicivech clone (Taphorn might be a lot better, who knows), but I think Taphorn backed off the initial claim that he was sticking around.

Sina would be a terrific get, I don't know that he ever had any interest in BC though.

I am disappointed that we were actually fighting NU for recruits and not a real bball school.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:04 am

HJS {l Wrote}:After failing to replace Joe Jones, it should be noted that super-recruiter Fred Hill is now available.

Yes please
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:05 am

Sure on Sina. No on Taphorn. Watching this weekend made me feel even stronger on that. We need a big, not a 6'6 stretch SF/PF
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:57 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

Sure on Sina. No on Taphorn. Watching this weekend made me feel even stronger on that. We need a big, not a 6'6 stretch SF/PF

Obviously we have a huge roster hole at C, at least backup but very possibly starter, both immediate and long term and need another legit ball handler and only have 3 roster spots for the remainder of this class and next class and obviously that requires a certain level of precision. I guess I essentially agree that we can't use a scholarship on a position of non-need and Taphorn is that (when we recruited him initially it was pre-Owens signing and while they are extremely different players it still overweights the roster towards the ideally sf- but also very undersized pf- and in some cases maybe some sg minutes glut (drago-odio-heck-owens)). That being said, if he turns out being an Adam Morrison type player (eepstein analysis!), we would regret passing on him.

I'm nearly certain we will take a grad transfer 5, we'll know more about this in about 2-4 months. This should actually be a very attractive spot as it will likely be major minutes on a potential tourney team.

We should absolutely take a 5 or failing that out of necessity a 4 in the '13 class. Hamilton buzz seems positive, who knows about Reynolds I can't tell if he likes BC or if BC like him for that matter, if not these a Kanter and I guess Kelly would be helpful.

We should also take a 2013 combo guard who has a good handle. This should only happen with the right player and if he's not there another grad transfer would be a better move. Severe is a pipe dream IMO (we got there late and the competition is big), Sina seems interesting but we weren't involved the first time I don't know how we'd get in this time (hire Fred Hill would probably work, even though there is no basis in reality to think there would be interest in either direction) and the buzz seems Seton Hall as they were the runner up the first time and just lost their entire class. Hicks seems the most likely, who knows why his recruiting fell apart?
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:09 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

Obviously we have a huge roster hole at C, at least backup but very possibly starter, both immediate and long term and need another legit ball handler and only have 3 roster spots for the remainder of this class and next class and obviously that requires a certain level of precision. I guess I essentially agree that we can't use a scholarship on a position of non-need and Taphorn is that (when we recruited him initially it was pre-Owens signing and while they are extremely different players it still overweights the roster towards the ideally sf- but also very undersized pf- and in some cases maybe some sg minutes glut (drago-odio-heck-owens)). That being said, if he turns out being an Adam Morrison type player (eepstein analysis!), we would regret passing on him.

I'm nearly certain we will take a grad transfer 5, we'll know more about this in about 2-4 months. This should actually be a very attractive spot as it will likely be major minutes on a potential tourney team.

We should absolutely take a 5 or failing that out of necessity a 4 in the '13 class. Hamilton buzz seems positive, who knows about Reynolds I can't tell if he likes BC or if BC like him for that matter, if not these a Kanter and I guess Kelly would be helpful.

We should also take a 2013 combo guard who has a good handle. This should only happen with the right player and if he's not there another grad transfer would be a better move. Severe is a pipe dream IMO (we got there late and the competition is big), Sina seems interesting but we weren't involved the first time I don't know how we'd get in this time (hire Fred Hill would probably work, even though there is no basis in reality to think there would be interest in either direction) and the buzz seems Seton Hall as they were the runner up the first time and just lost their entire class. Hicks seems the most likely, who knows why his recruiting fell apart?

So you're saying you agree with me, in short
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:12 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

So you're saying you agree with me, in short

yup.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:43 pm

From someone who has access to TOS...

Hicks and someone named George King (out of San Antonio) are visiting this weekend.
BC hoping for an unofficial from Severe within 2 weeks.
BC still after Hamilton.
BC no longer after Reynolds.

King doesn't look like the worse flyer in the world. But, at 6'5" he doesn't come close to addressing a need position. I'm shocked at how little info there is on Rashard Kelly. I really like the kid's game. To me, he is a much better player than teammate Garland Owens.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:38 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:From someone who has access to TOS...

Hicks and someone named George King (out of San Antonio) are visiting this weekend.
BC still after Hamilton.

King doesn't look like the worse flyer in the world. But, at 6'5" he doesn't come close to addressing a need position. I'm shocked at how little info there is on Rashard Kelly. I really like the kid's game. To me, he is a much better player than teammate Garland Owens.

considering the lack of information about kelly or owens why do you like kelly better? I really don't have a basis for an opinion one way or the other.

He is slightly taller and a year younger and I know Kelly starts for Massanutten and Owens doesn't but I'm not sure whether that is due to ability, injury or that Kelly is more of a PF than Owens and when they went to 3 guards it made sense to play C-PF three guards. I think Owens still averages about 12-5, so its not like he's not getting significant minutes.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby BCEaglesFan on Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:42 pm

BC still after Hamilton.

Also unmentioned was that BC is considering transfers. This year it's on big men who can provide depth (not surprising).

King is visiting the weekend after Hicks. King also plays at a lower level in HS, that's why he's under the radar. Weber State, Northern Colorado, LIU, and Stephen F Austin are his offers.

Long and athletic player though, that's what us BC fans want.
BCEaglesFan
Campion Hall

Postby Shaddix on Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:07 pm

BC still after Hamilton.

I came away very unimpressed by Kelly's game. Reynolds on the other hand I think could be a nice addition to what will probably be Seton Hall. Too bad our lack of recruitment is probably because of his academics rather than his play.
Shaddix
Campion Hall

Postby joeyfenn on Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:14 pm

I'm not a huge fan of offering King. This program is growing and isn't in a position to take flyers that could put us back and be a waste. We need to value every scholarship
joeyfenn
McGuinn Hall

Postby BCEaglesFan on Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:15 pm

joeyfenn {l Wrote}:I'm not a huge fan of offering King. This program is growing and isn't in a position to take flyers that could put us back and be a waste. We need to value every scholarship

I don't think they've even offered him.
Last edited by BCEaglesFan on Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BCEaglesFan
Campion Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Conte Forum