Commits/Recruiting

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Commits/Recruiting

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:57 pm

RedBaron67 {l Wrote}:However resources are allocated, it's difficult to sell a program that just went 9-22.

Not for a good recruiter it is not.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby apbc12 on Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:03 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
apbc12 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:Finally, here is what I have to say re: recruiting strategy; you have 1 or 2 scholarships to give in 2013. You know this going in. Assuming you agree on the "need" for a big man, do you a) offer 25 power forwards and centers whereby you focus on a large pool but can't focus particularly on any one or small group of players keeping in mind you went 9 and 22 the prior year and conte doesn't exactly sell itself, or do you b) focus on 3-5 and apply all efforts to those players? BC clearly expended some resources on Vonleh, probably at the expense of going after some less touted big men. I am fine with that for a variety of reasons.

You offer the 25. You have 3 assistants and a head coach. What the eff are they doing if they only have the capacity to recruit one player each during a recruiting year??? I never believed in the "limited recruiting resources" theory for FB and believe it even less for BB.

It's quite clear that 9903 is talking not about recruiting resources themselves, but about allocation of those resources. Would you have understood that better if he used too many punctuation marks, are did you understand it but pretend not to so you would have something to complain about? (??????)

Explain to me how the allocation of recruiting resources means that we can only focus on 3-5 potential recruits.

Really? Are you huffing paint thinner or something?
apbc12
Higgins Hall

Postby Oliver Closeoff on Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:07 pm

A good PF could definitely see a lot of PT in 2013. He could play center when Clifford rests or PF when Anderson sits. That's twenty minues without sacrificing any time from the two previously mentioned players. BC needs another quality big man to compete at the top of the ACC. Odio and Caudill aren't going to cut it.
Oliver Closeoff
McGuinn Hall

Postby Shaddix on Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:23 pm

Oliver Closeoff {l Wrote}:A good PF could definitely see a lot of PT in 2013. He could play center when Clifford rests or PF when Anderson sits. That's twenty minues without sacrificing any time from the two previously mentioned players. BC needs another quality big man to compete at the top of the ACC. Odio and Caudill aren't going to cut it.

BC doesn't have any remaining PF targets. Don't say Dingba, he's like 6'6, save the spot and hope for a good year so we can get a strong 2014 local class
Shaddix
Campion Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:18 pm

Shaddix {l Wrote}:
Oliver Closeoff {l Wrote}:A good PF could definitely see a lot of PT in 2013. He could play center when Clifford rests or PF when Anderson sits. That's twenty minues without sacrificing any time from the two previously mentioned players. BC needs another quality big man to compete at the top of the ACC. Odio and Caudill aren't going to cut it.

BC doesn't have any remaining PF targets. Don't say Dingba, he's like 6'6, save the spot and hope for a good year so we can get a strong 2014 local class

Wait, you precluded probably the best rebounder on BC's radar because he is a mere three inches taller than Craig Smith?

Also, enough already with wait until next year. BC needs a rebounder in this class to provide any assistance to this crop of sophomores. Moreover, I am not sure what next year's class of talented kids that aren't going to BC is going to do to help BC, even if they have immediate impact at all of the other schools they end up attending.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby BCEaglesFan on Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:21 pm

Shaddix {l Wrote}:

Dingba basically said thanks but no thanks to BC.

Odio gained 20-25 lbs. and Donahue has been very high on his improvement.
Follow me on twitter at @BeantownSports4 and at my new youtube channel BCEaglesHighlights http://www.youtube.com/user/BCEaglesHig ... ature=mhee
BCEaglesFan
Campion Hall

Postby Shaddix on Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:02 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Shaddix {l Wrote}:

Wait, you precluded probably the best rebounder on BC's radar because he is a mere three inches taller than Craig Smith?

Also, enough already with wait until next year. BC needs a rebounder in this class to provide any assistance to this crop of sophomores. Moreover, I am not sure what next year's class of talented kids that aren't going to BC is going to do to help BC, even if they have immediate impact at all of the other schools they end up attending.

You did not just compare Samuel Dingba to Craig Smith.....
Shaddix
Campion Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:31 pm

I think depth helps but this cannot compete in the acc thing w/o one is an exaggeration. Also, I continue to find the sales pitch of three years guaranteed on the bench to be all that enticing to any "acc quality" recruit.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:32 pm

Shaddix {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Shaddix {l Wrote}:

Correct, I did not. Follow along.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby vegasEagle on Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:33 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Shaddix {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Shaddix {l Wrote}:

Good because we already had the "next Craig Smith". His name was Shamari Spears.
2020 E.O. PICK EM CHAMPION
2021 E.O. PICK EM CHAMPION
vegasEagle
Campion Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:35 pm

vegasEagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Shaddix {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Shaddix {l Wrote}:

Good because we already had the "next Craig Smith". His name was Shamari Spears.

I just pointed out that precluding a rebounder because of his height is the height of retardedness. Smith was just a convenient, and short example.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Shaddix on Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:36 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Shaddix {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Shaddix {l Wrote}:

I'm done talking to you. Craig smith was a third team All American, Sam Dingba is a college basketball recruit with offers from the America East. You've got to be kidding me :81
Shaddix
Campion Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:38 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Shaddix {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Shaddix {l Wrote}:

Smith was short but I'm pretty sure not 6'3.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:40 pm

Shaddix {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Shaddix {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Shaddix {l Wrote}:

I'm done talking to you. Craig smith was a third team All American, Sam Dingba is a college basketball recruit with offers from the America East. You've got to be kidding me :81

Correct. Craig Smith was also 6'3'' and not a third team All American when All Skinner was looking for a rebounder. Should he have precluded him because of his height?

You aren't even a very smart idiot.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:40 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Shaddix {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Shaddix {l Wrote}:

Let's just say he wasn't 6'5'' by any stretch of the imagination.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Shaddix on Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:07 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Shaddix {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Shaddix {l Wrote}:

He was 6'6 and I'm pretty sure that everyone who is 6'6 can't rebound like he could in the ACC.
Shaddix
Campion Hall

Postby BCEagles25 on Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:26 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

congrats on making the biggest exaggeration in EO history.
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:29 pm

Shaddix {l Wrote}:Craig smith was a third team All American, Sam Dingba is a college basketball recruit with offers from the America East. You've got to be kidding me :81

Wait... Sam Dingba only has America East offers but has already told Don "thanks but no thanks"? Our recruiting is more fucked than I could've predicted. Maybe its because we allocated all our recruiting resources to Vonleh.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Shaddix on Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:36 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
Shaddix {l Wrote}:Craig smith was a third team All American, Sam Dingba is a college basketball recruit with offers from the America East. You've got to be kidding me :81

Wait... Sam Dingba only has America East offers but has already told Don "thanks but no thanks"? Our recruiting is more fucked than I could've predicted. Maybe its because we allocated all our recruiting resources to Vonleh.

He's pretty good though. He's getting good looks, lacks notable offers as of now though. But to say he is the answer to our rebounding issues is ludicrous. BC need someone at least 6'8 if they don't have legit offers.

Ron Patterson is the only current BC target from the class of 2013 that I'd take at this point, but now that he has a Syracuse offer, BC has probably pulled out.
Shaddix
Campion Hall

Postby vegasEagle on Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:53 pm

Shaddix {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

He's pretty good though. He's getting good looks, lacks notable offers as of now though. But to say he is the answer to our rebounding issues is ludicrous. BC need someone at least 6'8 if they don't have legit offers.

Ron Patterson is the only current BC target from the class of 2013 that I'd take at this point, but now that he has a Syracuse offer, BC has probably pulled out.

BC is doing the responsible thing (kinda) :chewbanka
2020 E.O. PICK EM CHAMPION
2021 E.O. PICK EM CHAMPION
vegasEagle
Campion Hall

Postby apbc12 on Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:01 pm

Shaddix {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Shaddix {l Wrote}:

He sure did..............................................................................................................................
apbc12
Higgins Hall

Postby apbc12 on Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:08 pm

Craig Smith was friends with a friend of mine in college, and he came to our house a few times his sophomore year. At least at that point, if he was 6'6", he was wearing shoes with very thick soles. Maybe he got taller after that, though.
apbc12
Higgins Hall

Postby MattTheEagle on Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:31 pm

Craig Smith is now 6'7".

Also, we landed Owens who I think will be huge for us. He is more athletic than anyone we had in the last 5 years except Reggie Jackson. Dingba is another athletic SF, and now that we landed Owens we shouldn't be recruiting Dingba anyways. Plus, I actually like Owens game a bit more. As for PF, we are fine. Anderson has All-ACC potential. If we can get someone particularly good to back him up, then I'm on board, but you better be pretty damn sure that he will be better than a third-year Odio. I know this may not say much, but Donahue seems to believe that Odio will become a pretty good player by the end of this season and that's good enough for me.
MattTheEagle
Campion Hall

Postby branchinator on Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:23 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
781 {l Wrote}:i saw Owens play last year and i'm going to see him again in november. Owens is another Marquez Haynes, nowhere near what Raji was.

Took me 3 seconds of tape to see that there really isn't anything remotely similar between the two players.

Oh, and Haynes was a much better player than Raji. He just didn't fit as a flex PG or SG.

Yup. Marquez Haynes was our Avery Bradley. We haven't had a perimeter defender close to him since.
branchinator
Cushing Hall

Postby RedBaron67 on Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:02 am

Let's try to summarize all the arguments about the PF question.

(1) Everybody agrees that BC needs another PF to shore up the interior.

(2) Some people think BC should go after a PF in 2013; others think BC should wait until 2014.

(3) Those who favor 2013 argue that the need is immediate, and that waiting until 2014 will eventually lead to taking someone inadequate.

(4) Those who favor 2014 argue that taking a 2013 PF just to fill the gap immediately, when the 2013 recruiting cycle is in this late a stage, is far more likely to lead to taking someone incapable of doing the job in ACC competition. They also point out that BC has been working hard on the class of 2014 for some time and is much more likely (although not guaranteed) to get a high-quality PF in 2014 than in 2013. Finally, they insist that the BC team's improved performance (or lack of it) this season will have a crucial effect on recruiting for 2014.

Personally, I think the 2013 strategy is low-percentage. I have to assume that advocates of getting a PF in 2013 want one good enough to make a difference in ACC play. Where do they suggest that such a quality PF is to be found? At this point, pretty much all the known 2013 PFs of this level have either signed or reduced their recruiting list to a few schools; if BC can make room for itself in the recruiting contest for someone like Etou, fine, but realistically that's a very unlikely scenario. So is pulling a sleeper rabbit out of the hat next spring or summer; Jared Dudleys just do not pop up very often. We can certainly discuss the value and availability of particular 2013 PFs, but insisting on taking one in 2013 just because you can't stand the thought of the slot going unfilled until 2014 is, to my mind, irrational.
RedBaron67
Campion Hall

Postby BCEaglesFan on Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:51 am

RedBaron67 {l Wrote}:Let's try to summarize all the arguments about the PF question.

(1) Everybody agrees that BC needs another PF to shore up the interior.

(2) Some people think BC should go after a PF in 2013; others think BC should wait until 2014.

(3) Those who favor 2013 argue that the need is immediate, and that waiting until 2014 will eventually lead to taking someone inadequate.

(4) Those who favor 2014 argue that taking a 2013 PF just to fill the gap immediately, when the 2013 recruiting cycle is in this late a stage, is far more likely to lead to taking someone incapable of doing the job in ACC competition. They also point out that BC has been working hard on the class of 2014 for some time and is much more likely (although not guaranteed) to get a high-quality PF in 2014 than in 2013. Finally, they insist that the BC team's improved performance (or lack of it) this season will have a crucial effect on recruiting for 2014.

Personally, I think the 2013 strategy is low-percentage. I have to assume that advocates of getting a PF in 2013 want one good enough to make a difference in ACC play. Where do they suggest that such a quality PF is to be found? At this point, pretty much all the known 2013 PFs of this level have either signed or reduced their recruiting list to a few schools; if BC can make room for itself in the recruiting contest for someone like Etou, fine, but realistically that's a very unlikely scenario. So is pulling a sleeper rabbit out of the hat next spring or summer; Jared Dudleys just do not pop up very often. We can certainly discuss the value and availability of particular 2013 PFs, but insisting on taking one in 2013 just because you can't stand the thought of the slot going unfilled until 2014 is, to my mind, irrational.

I'm gonna say that I'm in the wait-and-see mode for that. I know Hoff said that BC is still looking for a PF in this class if they can find the right one (it won't be a flyer).

If Odio shows a lot of improvement and Caudill improves immensely as well, then I'm all for waiting until 2014 to get a guy like Cimino (who loves BC). Even if they're just serviceable I'll take it.

If they struggle and Van Nest beats out Caudill for the backup C or Odio for the backup PF job, I think I'm for a PF in the 2013 class and zeroing in on Kaleb Joseph as BC's #1 target.
Follow me on twitter at @BeantownSports4 and at my new youtube channel BCEaglesHighlights http://www.youtube.com/user/BCEaglesHig ... ature=mhee
BCEaglesFan
Campion Hall

Postby 781 on Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:55 am

BC is the only high major school in the country and local school in New England recruiting this kid right now. Terance Mann is the future of New England basketball plus his mom is the head coach of the Women's basketball team at Northeastern http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HemD3EwSBlM
n00b

Postby eagle9903 on Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:11 am

BCEaglesFan {l Wrote}:
I'm gonna say that I'm in the wait-and-see mode for that. I know Hoff said that BC is still looking for a PF in this class if they can find the right one (it won't be a flyer).

If Odio shows a lot of improvement and Caudill improves immensely as well, then I'm all for waiting until 2014 to get a guy like Cimino (who loves BC). Even if they're just serviceable I'll take it.

If they struggle and Van Nest beats out Caudill for the backup C or Odio for the backup PF job, I think I'm for a PF in the 2013 class and zeroing in on Kaleb Joseph as BC's #1 target.

I think if they take a 2013 PF it probably will be a flyer, it will be a late developing kid - along the lines of owens - or somebody they find somewhere who is already committed to a non-BCS school.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby 31southst on Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:59 am

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Craig-Smith-133/

Craig Smith - 6'5.5" w/o shoes, 6'6.5" w/ shoes.
31southst
Cushing Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:16 am

Shaddix {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Shaddix {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Shaddix {l Wrote}:

He was 6'6 and I'm pretty sure that everyone who is 6'6 can't rebound like he could in the ACC.

Don't believe everything you read on the Interwebs. Larry Johnson was listed at 6'7'' in college.
twballgame9
BC Guy

PreviousNext

Return to Conte Forum