Commits/Recruiting

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Commits/Recruiting

Postby DaveSpeed on Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:18 pm

Keno has now ass raped Al twice in Mass by landing Coleman and Tharpe. When Al had winning teams it was frustrating and also a bit tolerable when he was unable to land Mass kids. But now this is completely unacceptable and sickening. Way to start the season guys! This is a make or break year for BC basketball, SO WAKE THE FUCK UP AL!
DaveSpeed
Carney Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:51 pm

This is part of the reason Keno is #1 on my replacement list (see poll on Scott Brown Tuesday).
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby DaveSpeed on Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:00 am

According to Tharpe, on his rivals committment article, Providence has been recruiting him the longest and the hardest. Maybe Al could have taken a time out from his pick up game and picked up the phone to see how Tharpe was doing once in a while. What a fucking shame!
DaveSpeed
Carney Hall

Postby branchinator on Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:36 pm

DaveSpeed {l Wrote}:According to Tharpe, on his rivals committment article, Providence has been recruiting him the longest and the hardest. Maybe Al could have taken a time out from his pick up game and picked up the phone to see how Tharpe was doing once in a while. What a fucking shame!

I'm sure Al will find a suitable combo guard replacement. Do we really need a pg who can dribble?
branchinator
Cushing Hall

Postby DaveSpeed on Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:36 pm

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:This is part of the reason Keno is #1 on my replacement list (see poll on Scott Brown Tuesday).

Keno provides a lot of energy and enthusiasm and gets the fans involved. And he'll continue to take the top players from Mass away from Al whenever it comes down to a PC/BC battle.
DaveSpeed
Carney Hall

Postby BCEagles25 on Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:42 pm

I'm liking Keno Davis more and more. But there's no denying his Big East failure this year. His team was better than how they played. Players like Marshon Brooks and Sharaud Curry and not to mention an NBA future star in Jamine Peterson shold've done better than 12-19. I smell a good recruiter-bad in game coach. That's why I like Bill Coen.
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:55 pm

BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:I'm liking Keno Davis more and more. But there's no denying his Big East failure this year. His team was better than how they played. Players like Marshon Brooks and Sharaud Curry and not to mention an NBA future star in Jamine Peterson shold've done better than 12-19. I smell a good recruiter-bad in game coach. That's why I like Bill Coen.

Good recruiter awful coach...hmm who does that remind me of?
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Eagledom on Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:59 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:I'm liking Keno Davis more and more. But there's no denying his Big East failure this year. His team was better than how they played. Players like Marshon Brooks and Sharaud Curry and not to mention an NBA future star in Jamine Peterson shold've done better than 12-19. I smell a good recruiter-bad in game coach. That's why I like Bill Coen.

you think al is a good recruiter?
Eagledom
Merkert Hall

Postby commavegarage on Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:04 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

Roy Williams?
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby apbc12 on Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:06 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

Paul Hewitt?
apbc12
Higgins Hall

Postby BC923 on Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:16 pm

apbc12 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

Paul Hewitt?

+1
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:39 am

BC923 {l Wrote}:
apbc12 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

Paul Hewitt?

+1

Just for the record, it took Oklahoma State lying down to die to get Hewitt into the second round.

I'd also like to nominate Oliver Purnell for this contest.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby DaveSpeed on Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:49 am

If BC does ever hire Bill Coen then he's going to have a lot of catching up to do because Keno is getting the Friars some great local pub.

http://www.friarbasketball.net/
DaveSpeed
Carney Hall

Postby Art Vandelay on Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:06 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
BC923 {l Wrote}:
apbc12 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

Paul Hewitt?

+1

Just for the record, it took Oklahoma State lying down to die to get Hewitt into the second round.

I'd also like to nominate Oliver Purnell for this contest.

Actually it took 3 guys 6'10 and above for GT playing against no one over 6'8 to get Hewitt to the second round, but whatever. I said GT would win that one from the start.

I'll take the good recruiter awful coaches listed here over Al any day. One out of two is better than nothing. Also, I will say in Hewitt's defense, that while he may not be the best X and O guy, at least during a game I am certain he has a pulse. He is up yelling, talking to guys as they come off the floor, pulling them and yelling at them when they do something stupid. I saw it live throughout the ACC tourney and again from what I could see on TV this weekend. I don't know what he is saying of course, but he at least appears to be trying to coach during the game.
Art Vandelay
McGuinn Hall

Postby GreenvilleEagle on Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:21 pm

DaveSpeed {l Wrote}:

If BC does ever hire Bill Coen then he's going to have a lot of catching up to do because Keno is getting the Friars some great local pub.

http://www.friarbasketball.net/

Let's pray that it is not Bill Coen. Unfortunately, GDF knows him and he will be relatively inexpensive and probably can manage expectations well. It would actually be the perfect hire for Leahy and Napoleon.
GreenvilleEagle
Campion Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:41 pm

Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:I'll take the good recruiter awful coaches listed here over Al any day. One out of two is better than nothing. Also, I will say in Hewitt's defense, that while he may not be the best X and O guy, at least during a game I am certain he has a pulse. He is up yelling, talking to guys as they come off the floor, pulling them and yelling at them when they do something stupid. I saw it live throughout the ACC tourney and again from what I could see on TV this weekend. I don't know what he is saying of course, but he at least appears to be trying to coach during the game.

Style over substance, then?
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby Art Vandelay on Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:50 pm

b0mberMan {l Wrote}:
Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:I'll take the good recruiter awful coaches listed here over Al any day. One out of two is better than nothing. Also, I will say in Hewitt's defense, that while he may not be the best X and O guy, at least during a game I am certain he has a pulse. He is up yelling, talking to guys as they come off the floor, pulling them and yelling at them when they do something stupid. I saw it live throughout the ACC tourney and again from what I could see on TV this weekend. I don't know what he is saying of course, but he at least appears to be trying to coach during the game.

Style over substance, then?

As I said I can't hear what he's saying so there may or may not be substance, but how about style over corpse like.
Art Vandelay
McGuinn Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:29 pm

Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:I'll take the good recruiter awful coaches listed here over Al any day. One out of two is better than nothing.

Again, I just still don't get comments like this. To what do you attribute Al's successes?
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby Art Vandelay on Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:44 pm

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:I'll take the good recruiter awful coaches listed here over Al any day. One out of two is better than nothing.

Again, I just still don't get comments like this. To what do you attribute Al's successes?

I'm living in the now, not the past. The last three years have been terrible. Apparently you want to give a lifetime pass for all of his "successes", which were fairly limited at that.

Paul Hewitt is a better recruiter and I don't think I've ever heard anyone debate that very specific point.
Al Skinner is a lousy game coach and I don't think too many people have debated that. So even if you assume Paul Hewitt is a lousy game coach as well doesn't that still put him a step above Al?

Please note I am not advocating they get Paul Hewitt to take over BC, but if given a choice of the two I'll take Hewitt in a heartbeat.
Art Vandelay
McGuinn Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:54 pm

Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:

I'm living in the now, not the past. The last three years have been terrible. Apparently you want to give a lifetime pass for all of his "successes", which were fairly limited at that.

Paul Hewitt is a better recruiter and I don't think I've ever heard anyone debate that very specific point.
Al Skinner is a lousy game coach and I don't think too many people have debated that. So even if you assume Paul Hewitt is a lousy game coach as well doesn't that still put him a step above Al?

Please note I am not advocating they get Paul Hewitt to take over BC, but if given a choice of the two I'll take Hewitt in a heartbeat.

So 4 years is the past, but 3 is not? Check. Fail to answer the question? Check. Make assumptions about me and my views? Check.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby Eagledom on Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:57 pm

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:

So you think Al is a good recruiter? Even after looking at the classes of the past 6 years?
Eagledom
Merkert Hall

Postby Art Vandelay on Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:03 pm

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:

So 4 years is the past, but 3 is not? Check. Fail to answer the question? Check. Make assumptions about me and my views? Check.

Try to stay with me here. The last three are the most recent three and that is what I care about. Yesterday is in the past so is ten years ago. Which do you base a decision on?

19-29 in conference over three seasons. 2 out of the last three sub .500 overall (and with the OOC schedule being what it is that is not that easy to do). I won't even debate the "successes" with you, becuase I don't care. I care about what has happened recently.

Learn to read by the way. I said "even if you assume" - I did not say that was your assumption I was stipulating a point for sake of the argument.
Art Vandelay
McGuinn Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:08 pm

Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:19-29 in conference over three seasons. 2 out of the last three sub .500 overall (and with the OOC schedule being what it is that is not that easy to do). I won't even debate the "successes" with you

GT and Great Recruiter/Master Motivator Paul Hewitt: 16-32 in conference over the last three seasons with 2 out of the last 3 sub .500. One 2nd round exit from the tourney and a host of 4 and 5 star recruits is what separates him from Al over those three seasons. With his recruiting and apparently coaching advantage, I'd expect alot more from him.

I'm not saying be happy with Al and happy with our basketball team's results. I'm saying wishing you could have a guy like Paul Hewitt is retarded.
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby Art Vandelay on Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:14 pm

b0mberMan {l Wrote}:
Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:19-29 in conference over three seasons. 2 out of the last three sub .500 overall (and with the OOC schedule being what it is that is not that easy to do). I won't even debate the "successes" with you

GT and Great Recruiter/Master Motivator Paul Hewitt: 16-32 in conference over the last two seasons with 2 out of the last 3 sub .500. One 2nd round exit from the tourney and a host of 4 and 5 star recruits is what separates him from Al over those three seasons. With his recruiting and apparently coaching advantage, I'd expect alot more from him.

I'm not saying be happy with Al and happy with our basketball team's results. I'm saying wishing you could have a guy like Paul Hewitt is retarded.

I'm not wishing for Paul Hewitt. I am saying if given a one for one choice between him and Al I'd take Hewitt.

What would you rather have had this season? The ability to watch a team make the NCAA tournament, make the finals of the ACCT and be a generally exciting, if inconsistent, team to watch? You also know you have a pretty good chance of him landing top recruits going forward. Again, Hewitt is not my dream coach, but I would take him over Al.
Art Vandelay
McGuinn Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:15 pm

Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:
b0mberMan {l Wrote}:

GT and Great Recruiter/Master Motivator Paul Hewitt: 16-32 in conference over the last two seasons with 2 out of the last 3 sub .500. One 2nd round exit from the tourney and a host of 4 and 5 star recruits is what separates him from Al over those three seasons. With his recruiting and apparently coaching advantage, I'd expect alot more from him.

I'm not wishing for Paul Hewitt. I am saying if given a one for one choice between him and Al I'd take Hewitt.

What would you rather have had this season? The ability to watch a team make the NCAA tournament, make the finals of the ACCT and be a generally exciting, if inconsistent, team to watch? You also know you have a pretty good chance of him landing top recruits going forward. Again, Hewitt is not my dream coach, but I would take him over Al.

Like I said, style over substance.
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby Art Vandelay on Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:17 pm

b0mberMan {l Wrote}:
Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:
b0mberMan {l Wrote}:

Where is the substance with Al?
Art Vandelay
McGuinn Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:21 pm

Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:
b0mberMan {l Wrote}:
Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:
b0mberMan {l Wrote}:

Paul Hewitt kills us in recruiting by all the stars/objectivity measures yet he cannot do anything with that program. Where's the substance in Hewitt?
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby Art Vandelay on Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:25 pm

b0mberMan {l Wrote}:
Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:
b0mberMan {l Wrote}:
Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:
b0mberMan {l Wrote}:

Paul Hewitt kills us in recruiting by all the stars/objectivity measures yet he cannot do anything with that program. Where's the substance in Hewitt?

Ok first of all Hewitt has been to a final four, but that's not the point.

I'm not saying there is any sybstance with that program, but you keep throwing out a cute one liner of style over substance. If hewitt has style and neither have substance, that is style over nothing.
Art Vandelay
McGuinn Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:29 pm

Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:Ok first of all Hewitt has been to a final four, but that's not the point.

I'm not saying there is any sybstance with that program, but you keep throwing out a cute one liner of style over substance. If hewitt has style and neither have substance, that is style over nothing.

So you're dissatisfied with the past three years of BC basketball, but would be happy with essentially the same results if it came with a bunch of high profile recruits and a coach who jumps up and down more?

And I know Hewitt went to the Final Four. But he's done absolutely nothing in the 6 years since, despite his recruiting prowess.
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:34 pm

Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:
Try to stay with me here. The last three are the most recent three and that is what I care about. Yesterday is in the past so is ten years ago. Which do you base a decision on?

You're the one that drew the line, not me.

Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:19-29 in conference over three seasons. 2 out of the last three sub .500 overall (and with the OOC schedule being what it is that is not that easy to do). I won't even debate the "successes" with you, becuase I don't care. I care about what has happened recently.

Of course what has happened recently is more appropriate to assessing Al's standing. Too bad it's not what I was asking about. You've limited your discussion to just 3 years, and therefore avoiding answering the question.

Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:Learn to read by the way. I said "even if you assume" - I did not say that was your assumption I was stipulating a point for sake of the argument.

Apparently you want to give a lifetime pass for all of his "successes", which were fairly limited at that. - look familiar?
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Conte Forum