Commits/Recruiting

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Commits/Recruiting

Postby joeyfenn on Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:29 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
joeyfenn {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:
joeyfenn {l Wrote}:Boston College is tracking Central Catholic (MA) 2014 PG Tyler Nelson

He has offers from Binghamton, Vermont, George Washington, Fairfield, Umass-lowell, Dartmouth, Jacksonville

Jesus Christ

Yea clearly not what you want to see on his offer sheet but he is a local kid so BC is bound to "track" him. Don't freak out because I don't think they offer him any time soon or at all unless 2014 goes to shittsville and they don't get any of their targets.

I quit with that offer list...surprised it doesn't list Bates or Bowdoin

Relax.

BC shouldn't be faulted for following a local kid who might have some potential. They would be criticized if they didn't look into him and he became something
joeyfenn
McGuinn Hall

Postby Casey on Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:36 pm

BC is no longer recruiting Aytes. The offer we made was contingent on not getting Magarity.
Casey
Carney Hall

Postby RedBaron67 on Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:21 am

joeyfenn {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
joeyfenn {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:
joeyfenn {l Wrote}:Boston College is tracking Central Catholic (MA) 2014 PG Tyler Nelson

He has offers from Binghamton, Vermont, George Washington, Fairfield, Umass-lowell, Dartmouth, Jacksonville

Jesus Christ

Yea clearly not what you want to see on his offer sheet but he is a local kid so BC is bound to "track" him. Don't freak out because I don't think they offer him any time soon or at all unless 2014 goes to shittsville and they don't get any of their targets.

Relax.

BC shouldn't be faulted for following a local kid who might have some potential. They would be criticized if they didn't look into him and he became something

I agree entirely with joeyfenn; no one should go into hysterics about BC simply tracking a local player who might show an unexpected upside. As things are, Nelson is an extraordinary perimeter shooter who's had a successful, sometimes impressive, career in AAU ball with the elite BABC program. He has the inevitable high basketball IQ (his father is a scout for the Utah Jazz), and is reported to make good decisions at both ends of the court. The whole question is whether he has the athletic ability to produce for a high-major team, and the answer is probably "no", given the amount of exposure he's had. Still, if he could produce at the high-major level, he could be a huge steal (of which BC history has a few), so he's worth at least a careful look. I personally doubt that it will ever get to an offer, and people shouldn't get conniptions about Donahue & Co. being thorough in their recruiting search.
RedBaron67
Campion Hall

Postby Brablc on Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:59 pm

RedBaron67 {l Wrote}:
joeyfenn {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
joeyfenn {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:

Jesus Christ

Relax.

I agree entirely with joeyfenn; no one should go into hysterics about BC simply tracking a local player who might show an unexpected upside. As things are, Nelson is an extraordinary perimeter shooter who's had a successful, sometimes impressive, career in AAU ball with the elite BABC program. He has the inevitable high basketball IQ (his father is a scout for the Utah Jazz), and is reported to make good decisions at both ends of the court. The whole question is whether he has the athletic ability to produce for a high-major team, and the answer is probably "no", given the amount of exposure he's had. Still, if he could produce at the high-major level, he could be a huge steal (of which BC history has a few), so he's worth at least a careful look. I personally doubt that it will ever get to an offer, and people shouldn't get conniptions about Donahue & Co. being thorough in their recruiting search.

May be a recruited walk-on scenario as well, potentially.
Brablc
McGuinn Hall

Postby RedBaron67 on Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:31 pm

Brablc {l Wrote}:
RedBaron67 {l Wrote}:
joeyfenn {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
joeyfenn {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:

Jesus Christ

Relax.

May be a recruited walk-on scenario as well, potentially.

That thought crossed my mind, but it seems unlikely. BC already has a similar player (Donohue) in that situation for 2013, and Nelson appears to have more and better offers than Donohue. Given both those factors, I don't see how a preferred walk-on scenario would work. Of course, Nelson might conceivably switch to 2015, which could potentially change quite a few things.
RedBaron67
Campion Hall

Postby joeyfenn on Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:52 pm

Boston College is not in the top 10 for either Abdul Malik Abu or Jared Terrell (never thought we had a chance but not being in the top 10 is disappointing)

Abdul Malik Abu
NC State
Florida
Kansas State
Miami
Kentucky
Iowa State
UConn
Prov
UCLA
St Johns

Jared Terrel
Florida
UConn
Cincinnati
Providence
Miami
OSU
St Johns
UCLA
URI (WTF)
Xaiver
joeyfenn
McGuinn Hall

Postby MattTheEagle on Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:04 pm

joeyfenn {l Wrote}:Boston College is not in the top 10 for either Abdul Malik Abu or Jared Terrell (never thought we had a chance but not being in the top 10 is disappointing)

Abdul Malik Abu
NC State
Florida
Kansas State
Miami
Kentucky
Iowa State
UConn
Prov
UCLA
St Johns

Jared Terrel
Florida
UConn
Cincinnati
Providence
Miami
OSU
St Johns
UCLA
URI (WTF)
Xaiver

Not to be in the top 10 for either is bad. Two local recruits, and they both have UConn and Providence in their top 10 but no BC. Not to mention Terrel has URI. I like the Don, but as I have said for a while now, he is a poor recruiter.
MattTheEagle
Campion Hall

Postby claver2010 on Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:12 pm

wait these are 2 big time local recruits that we were in early on but have no shot in getting?

here's my surprised face
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:15 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:wait these are 2 big time local recruits that we were in early on but have no shot in getting?

here's my surprised face

seriously. move on, weird0s.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby Iggle on Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:25 pm

it's definitely a shitty thing to not make the top 10 for local recruits but I thought it was pretty obvious that the full press was on Kaleb Joseph and Matt Cimino to try and get them for 2014. "Try" being the operative word there, of course.
zzz
Iggle
Campion Hall

Postby joeyfenn on Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:53 pm

Iggle {l Wrote}:it's definitely a shitty thing to not make the top 10 for local recruits but I thought it was pretty obvious that the full press was on Kaleb Joseph and Matt Cimino to try and get them for 2014. "Try" being the operative word there, of course.

Yea full press is on these 2 kids for sure and from what I've heard it is going well although Kaleb likes Syracuse a lot.
joeyfenn
McGuinn Hall

Postby RedBaron67 on Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:38 pm

BC's inferiority to UConn in the recruiting food chain is long-established fact, but falling behind Providence is a disgrace. As I've said before, if Donahue doesn't raise BC's recruiting, especially in New England, we need someone else; a college head coach who can't recruit successfully is inadequate, whatever his skills as a teacher or tactician. The late John Wooden once stated that recruiting was 90% of winning in college basketball, and I think this is a reasonable rule of thumb to use in estimating Donahue's (or any other head coach's) effectiveness.
RedBaron67
Campion Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:24 pm

If you're Roy Williams recruiting is 100% of the game.

Joseph is going to Syracuse Id have to imagine
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:03 pm

When Conte becomes a better atmosphere than a high school game then we might come in 10th place for a local recruit. I don't think some of you realize how depressing it is to see recruits behind the bench when there are 3k for an ACC game and 30 students. It's bad.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:15 am

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:When Conte becomes a better atmosphere than a high school game then we might come in 10th place for a local recruit. I don't think some of you realize how depressing it is to see recruits behind the bench when there are 3k for an ACC game and 30 students. It's bad.

I rarely agree with you, but you're spot on here
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby 2001Eagle on Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:28 am

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:When Conte becomes a better atmosphere than a high school game then we might come in 10th place for a local recruit. I don't think some of you realize how depressing it is to see recruits behind the bench when there are 3k for an ACC game and 30 students. It's bad.

chicken meet egg, egg meet chicken.
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:56 am

joeyfenn {l Wrote}:
Iggle {l Wrote}:it's definitely a shitty thing to not make the top 10 for local recruits but I thought it was pretty obvious that the full press was on Kaleb Joseph and Matt Cimino to try and get them for 2014. "Try" being the operative word there, of course.

Yea full press is on these 2 kids for sure and from what I've heard it is going well although Kaleb likes Syracuse a lot.

All eggs in one basketball usually is not an effective recruiting strategy.

[this space reserved for 9903 to tell us how Don's recruiting isn't bad and how replacing Joe Jones with Kampmann has had no detrimental effect]

As for the Conte Morgue, it was getting increasingly worse in the last years of Skinner. That's when GDF famously fired him so he could bring in a coach and players with whom the students and alumni could "relate" to. The result is that BB attendance under Don rivals that of the nags hoops team. Don owns at least some of that. I fully expect that this is a 20-win team (and it better be if Donzo wants to keep his job). It will be interesting to see if the fans return with the success. But, none of that will effect the 2014 recruiting class.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby MaxxPower325 on Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:00 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
joeyfenn {l Wrote}:

[this space reserved for 9903 to tell us how Don's recruiting isn't bad and how replacing Joe Jones with Kampmann has had no detrimental effect]

As for the Conte Morgue, it was getting increasingly worse in the last years of Skinner. That's when GDF famously fired him so he could bring in a coach and players with whom the students and alumni could "relate" to. The result is that BB attendance under Don rivals that of the nags hoops team. Don owns at least some of that. I fully expect that this is a 20-win team (and it better be if Donzo wants to keep his job). It will be interesting to see if the fans return with the success. But, none of that will effect the 2014 recruiting class.

While having poor teams certainly has been part of the formula, DBS was the death of the fan base at hoops games. Plenty of loyal fans would show up to watch mediocre teams play the best in the country, but no one was gonna pay through the nose to watch Stony Brook, BU, Harvard et al just for the chance to see Duke every other year.
MaxxPower325
Campion Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:59 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
joeyfenn {l Wrote}:

You are dumb. I didn't need the allotted space.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:02 pm

Question or an hjs type poster: name five players who signed with bc since 1980 who were 1- from new england and 2- top 50 nationally?
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:09 pm

so skipping Image by a year?

I'm going to guess Image and Image is it.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:16 pm

Image is from Salem, but he can't be Top 50. Imageis a Duxbury Dragon, but he is probably not Top 50 either.

Image or Image
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:24 pm

Billy Curley is another. Michael Bradley could be another... though I don't recall if he signed and was released or if he never signed. What about Jermaine Watson? I recall him being quite highly rated.

That said, how many Top 50 kids from New England did we fail to make it into the Top 10 for? We aren't even on the radar for Top 50 kids. Sure we missed out on the Wayne Turners and Mike Jones, but we were in the battle for them... and in some ways I think that at least being in the conversation helps with B-lister like Scoonie Penn.

The strange thing is that 9903 is fellating himself over the recruiting and excitement that Dazoo is bringing on the football side, yet pooh-poohs the idea that others should want that for basketball.

** Disclaimer: I like Don. I think he is a good coach. I think he can identify talent. I think we win 20 games this year. However, I think he should be doing a MUCH better job landing his top recruits. I largely fault his assistants for that failure. I blame Don for not replacing Joe Jones with another top recruiter.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:25 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:so skipping Image by a year?

I'm going to guess Image and Image is it.

I think more accurately I skipped bagley by three or four years based on time of recruitment/signing. I agree with herren, not sure how highly recruited barros was from hs, curley was a mcdonalds aa, and michael bradley might count too.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:28 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:Billy Curley is another. Michael Bradley could be another... though I don't recall if he signed and was released or if he never signed. What about Jermaine Watson? I recall him being quite highly rated.

That said, how many Top 50 kids from New England did we fail to make it into the Top 10 for? We aren't even on the radar for Top 50 kids. Sure we missed out on the Wayne Turners and Mike Jones, but we were in the battle for them... and in some ways I think that at least being in the conversation helps with B-lister like Scoonie Penn.

The strange thing is that 9903 is fellating himself over the recruiting and excitement that Dazoo is bringing on the football side, yet pooh-poohs the idea that others should want that for basketball.

** Disclaimer: I like Don. I think he is a good coach. I think he can identify talent. I think we win 20 games this year. However, I think he should be doing a MUCH better job landing his top recruits. I largely fault his assistants for that failure. I blame Don for not replacing Joe Jones with another top recruiter.

Shouldn't there be some consistency on celebrating being a runner up? I forget you went to uconn sometimes.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby HJS on Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:08 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:Billy Curley is another. Michael Bradley could be another... though I don't recall if he signed and was released or if he never signed. What about Jermaine Watson? I recall him being quite highly rated.

Shouldn't there be some consistency on celebrating being a runner up? I forget you went to uconn sometimes.

It's so much better not bother trying to land kids other schools want. I forget you supported Spazoo (and his recruiting) right up until he was fired.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:35 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

It's so much better not bother trying to land kids other schools want. I forget you supported Spazoo (and his recruiting) right up until he was fired.

We're in the final few schools with Seton Hall a lot. That is not good
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:27 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

No.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby BCEaglesFan on Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:03 pm

BC offered 2015 prospects Makol Mawien and Brock Miller of the Utah Prospects AAU team.
Follow me on twitter at @BeantownSports4 and at my new youtube channel BCEaglesHighlights http://www.youtube.com/user/BCEaglesHig ... ature=mhee
BCEaglesFan
Campion Hall

Postby BCEaglesFan on Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:19 pm

Dominique Uhl will officially visit BC in the fall. Hoff thinks he has 4 star potential. He also has offers from Maryland, Iowa and Temple.
Follow me on twitter at @BeantownSports4 and at my new youtube channel BCEaglesHighlights http://www.youtube.com/user/BCEaglesHig ... ature=mhee
BCEaglesFan
Campion Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Conte Forum