Elite Camp news from past weekend

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Elite Camp news from past weekend

Postby andynugy415 on Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:10 pm

Sounds like the coaches are doing a great job of connecting with local kids and coaches.
I was a supporter of Al when he was here, but God knows he screwed up the limited pipeline to local kids.

Donahue making the right moves
June, 28, 2010
JUN 28
3:18
PM ET
EmailPrintComments
By Adam Finkelstein, ESPN Recruiting
When Steve Donahue was named the latest head coach at Boston College this spring, I outlined what I believed should be his top priorities on the recruiting front.
The first order of business was reconnecting with local high school, prep school and AAU coaches. Essentially, Donahue had to make B.C. basketball relevant again to the greater Boston community. He needed to recruit local kids, keep New England talent close to home and help connect with the local fan base.

In particular, I suggested putting an emphasis on a loaded local Class of 2012, while making Alex Murphy (South Kingstown, R.I./St. Mark's) the prime target.

Almost three months later and Donahue and his staff are making serious inroads.

First, they landed Dennis Clifford (Bridgewater, Mass./Milton Academy), a seven-footer who grew up miles away from the Chestnut Hill campus and has the skill set to thrive in Donahue's system. While Clifford wasn't seeing much high-major interest at the time, he continues to improve at a rapid rate and would likely have ended up with numerous scholarship offers from BCS-level schools if his recruiting continued through July.

This weekend, the Eagles took another significant step by hosting their first B.C. Underclassmen Prospect Clinic, which was essentially a one day elite camp.

Murphy and his St. Mark's teammate and fellow ESPNU Super 60 prospect Kaleb Tarzcewski (Claremont, N.H./St. Mark's) headlined the list of local players in attendance, while players like Clifford, Zach Auguste (Marlborough, Mass./Marlborough), Evan Cummins (Westborough, Mass./Northfield-Mt.Hermon), Jake Layman (Wrentham, Mass./King Philip Regional), Andrew Chrabascz (Portsmouth, R.I./Cushing Academy), Rene Castro (Milton, Mass./Beaver County Day) and Wayne Selden (Boston/O'Bryant) were also on hand.

Auguste was one guy who particularly stood out and ended up leaving the clinic with a scholarship offer, which was his second in the last seven days after picking up an offer from Massachusetts late last week.

Perhaps more important than the particulars of who played well on Sunday, was the positive buzz in the local basketball community following the event.

Vin Pastore, Auguste's AAU coach with the Mass Rivals, spent the day at Boston College on Sunday and said he left impressed.

"It was well done by the new B.C. staff," Pastore said, "a lot of teaching and a lot of good basketball."

Also impressed with what he saw on Sunday was, Jay Murphy, Alex's father and a Boston College alum who went on to play professionally in the NBA and Europe before being inducted into the B.C. Hall of Fame.

Murphy said he and his son, who is currently the No. 10 ranked prospect in the Class of 2012, walked away feeling good about the direction of his alma mater's program.

"I was impressed yesterday," Jay Murphy said on Monday. "Camp was well run. I was impressed with the coaching staff and so was Alex."
andynugy415
n00b

Re: Elite Camp news from past weekend

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:12 pm

Nice article and nice event. Good news all around.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Eagledom on Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:19 pm

This is good to hear. Al managed to successfully make Boston College irrelevant in New England -- a great move for recruiting and for local interest in the team.

Thank God we have a coach that gets it.
Eagledom
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:25 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
Eagledom {l Wrote}:This is good to hear. Al managed to successfully make Boston College irrelevant in New England -- a great move for recruiting and for local interest in the team.

how many years does he have to produce?

jags got zero years, spaz gets 5 years and donahue gets... what?

just curious is all

4 years seems fair. I really liked Jags, just didn't work out for a # of different reasons.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:30 pm

Jags had Ryan we should have went undefeated and won every game by 40. Ryan should have played LB vs FL and MD and we would have won those games too. RYAN RYAN RYAN RYAN
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby cvilleagle on Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:53 pm

This sounds like it was a great event, and making BC relevant in Boston would be a huge accomplishment. If we could do that we could haul in some great recruits.
cvilleagle
Devlin Hall

Postby Eagledom on Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:54 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
Eagledom {l Wrote}:This is good to hear. Al managed to successfully make Boston College irrelevant in New England -- a great move for recruiting and for local interest in the team.

how many years does he have to produce?

jags got zero years, spaz gets 5 years and donahue gets... what?

just curious is all

Not sure where the Jags got 0 and Spaz got 5 came from...but I don't really give a shit either. 3-4 seems fair. Long enough to get his recruits a few years in the system.
Eagledom
Merkert Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:35 pm

Great hire.

Trust in Stevie D.

Good catch TRE.
FALL 2011 WILL BE THE BEST EVER FOR BC SPORTS AT THE HEIGHTS!

Rettigun leading our Football team to 14-0 and a Title!

The Hoops Freshman starting a new Legacy!
The Icemen returneth for another shot at Title 5!

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:39 pm

A alert poster has informed me that Stevie D. is hustling, but he must bring a much higher level or recruits to BC than Cornell or he will be the hardest working 8-10 Coahc in America.

Just a caveat.

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby ryrob on Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:07 am

andynugy415 {l Wrote}:Also impressed with what he saw on Sunday was, Jay Murphy, Alex's father and a Boston College alum who went on to play professionally in the NBA and Europe before being inducted into the B.C. Hall of Fame.

Murphy said he and his son, who is currently the No. 10 ranked prospect in the Class of 2012, walked away feeling good about the direction of his alma mater's program.

"I was impressed yesterday," Jay Murphy said on Monday. "Camp was well run. I was impressed with the coaching staff and so was Alex."

If we can't land a prominent ex-BC player's son, something is wrong. When's the last time we got a Top 10 recruit for basketball? Ever?
ryrob
Merkert Hall

Postby apbc12 on Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:48 am

ryrob {l Wrote}:When's the last time we got a Top 10 recruit for basketball? Ever?

Maybe the recruiting weirdos didn't agree, but this dude was All-World
apbc12
Higgins Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:05 am

ryrob {l Wrote}:If we can't land a prominent ex-BC player's son, something is wrong. When's the last time we got a Top 10 recruit for basketball? Ever?

PERFECT. Quote of the year or last 10 years in hoops!!

THE KEY TO THE START OF STEVIE D'S RUN is landing ALEX MURPHY. (AND A FEW MORE LIKE HIM!!!)))

ROB is dead right. If we can get Murphy to commit early, then other top players take notice and then you get one or two more solid players -----and you have a team that can compete in the NCAA tourney and go deep with his size and the ripple effect.

WINNER.

YOU NEED 4+ BIG MEN ---15+ fouls ---AND 3 GUARDS and then forwards.

BC lack of front line size, strength has been so piss poor its incredible. Oates and Blair and Doornie and Southern and Dunn all watching the ACC DUNKATHONS in our faces and no one ends up decapitated in traction or the hospital or with a bloody lip.

Al "Lazy Elvis" Skinner's lay back defensive lack of toughness was a huge embarrasment to Boston College and when we blew the huge NCAA 3rd round lead versus Villanova and lost on the same fucking inbounds disgerace BC could never defend, I posted then I wanted Al Skinner gone and on recruiting probation and new assistants.

BC has lacked toughness for years and has had an ole defense and slam dunk contest at our defensive end for years.

I despised Al Skinner as a Head Coach almost 1/1000th as much as I did Toblunders in Al's last few years of stupid.

Our big men have been cream cheese since Rasta Boy left and he did not get huge minutes since he was a fucking idiot.

It all starts with one big splash..maybe others who decided on Providence or somewhere de-commit, you get another big guy beside him and ......

All you need is a seed and 6 wins..

All you have to do is finish 1-68?

Or maybe 52 with the 16 schlock conference with auto bids, but then again, one of them was Butler???
Last edited by BCEagle74 on Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:10 am

Still growing..

Big Men..

There should not be one top level player in New England or Catholic School in NY or NJ that BC should not be choice 1 or 2 next to Villanova or Syracuse.

SF NR Alex Murphy
(St. Mark's School)
Southborough, MA 6-8/180 Med Yes Arizona, Boston College, Connecticut, Duke, Florida, Georgia Tech, Indiana, Massachusetts, Michigan, Providence, Rhode Island, Wake Forest
C NR Kaleb Tarczewski
(St. Mark's School)
Southborough, MA 7-0/220 Med Yes Arizona, Boston College, Duke, Florida, Georgetown, Georgia Tech, Indiana, Kansas, North Carolina, Providence, Virginia, Wake Forest, West Virginia, Michigan, Harvard, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, USC
PF NR NR Khem Burch
(The Winchendon School)
Winchendon, MA [color=#FF0000]6-9/175 [/color]Med No Boston College, Connecticut, Providence

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:15 am

Steve D seems to be on the right track, but let's temper our expectations here on Alex Murphy. Coach K recently extended an offer unfortunately.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:16 am

ryrob {l Wrote}:
andynugy415 {l Wrote}:Also impressed with what he saw on Sunday was, Jay Murphy, Alex's father and a Boston College alum who went on to play professionally in the NBA and Europe before being inducted into the B.C. Hall of Fame.

If we can't land a prominent ex-BC player's son, something is wrong

We already didn't land that prominent ex-BC player's last son.
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby ryrob on Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:42 am

b0mberMan {l Wrote}:
ryrob {l Wrote}:

Well shit. Forgot about Erik. That's certainly not a good sign.
ryrob
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:45 am

ryrob {l Wrote}:
b0mberMan {l Wrote}:
ryrob {l Wrote}:

Again, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but Duke's already offered.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby BC '00 on Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:47 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
ryrob {l Wrote}:
b0mberMan {l Wrote}:
ryrob {l Wrote}:

WE CAN'T BEAT DOOK!!! WHY WOULD ANYONE WITH A DOOK OFFER COME TO BC!?!?!?!? OMG!!!

That being said, he is apparently a HUGE Dook lean. Which makes me question his sexuality...
BC '00
Cushing Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:07 am

BC '00 {l Wrote}: WE CAN'T BEAT DOOK!!! WHY WOULD ANYONE WITH A DOOK OFFER COME TO BC!?!?!?!? OMG!!!

That being said, he is apparently a HUGE Dook lean. Which makes me question his sexuality...

This is why you are an asshole 00.

With Al "lazy Elvis" Skinner here, I would hope the kid had sense to go to the premier Championship program on earth run by Mike K. Duke is Duke and BC is struggle town.

To beat Duke Stevie D. needs bookends for Murphy. Kid wants to play for a winner, titles, Final Fours..

Duke goes very year.

Easy pickins.

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:18 am

BCEagle74 {l Wrote}:
BC '00 {l Wrote}: WE CAN'T BEAT DOOK!!! WHY WOULD ANYONE WITH A DOOK OFFER COME TO BC!?!?!?!? OMG!!!

This is why you are an asshole 00.

With Al "lazy Elvis" Skinner here, I would hope the kid had sense to go to the premier Championship program on earth run by Mike K. Duke is Duke and BC is struggle town.

To beat Duke Stevie D. needs bookends for Murphy. Kid wants to play for a winner, titles, Final Fours..

Duke goes very year.

Easy pickins.

Thanks '74, because you're right.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby BCEagles25 on Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:37 pm

Not to fear! With our new awkward white-guy roster, we can compete with Duke!
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby Eagledom on Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:41 pm

BC '00 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
ryrob {l Wrote}:
b0mberMan {l Wrote}:
ryrob {l Wrote}:

WE CAN'T BEAT DOOK!!! WHY WOULD ANYONE WITH A DOOK OFFER COME TO BC!?!?!?!? OMG!!!

I'm assuming this is sarcastic, but how often do you really think a kid is going to pick BC over Duke? I don't care how well Donahue sells BC....
Eagledom
Merkert Hall

Postby BCEagles25 on Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:43 pm

Eagledom {l Wrote}:
I don't care how well Donahue sells BC....

"Playing time."
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby 2001Eagle on Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:48 pm

Eagledom {l Wrote}:
BC '00 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
ryrob {l Wrote}:
b0mberMan {l Wrote}:
ryrob {l Wrote}:

I'm assuming this is sarcastic, but how often do you really think a kid is going to pick BC over Duke? I don't care how well Donahue sells BC....

How can we compete with this?

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball ... aab,196603
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:08 pm

BC '00 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
ryrob {l Wrote}:
b0mberMan {l Wrote}:
ryrob {l Wrote}:

I was about to say the comparison between Duke women and BC women is the same as BC women to FLorida women. no comparisons.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:44 pm

Eagledom {l Wrote}:
BC '00 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
ryrob {l Wrote}:
b0mberMan {l Wrote}:
ryrob {l Wrote}:

How often in Football is a recruit going to pick BC over Florida? Same deal with Duke.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby BC '00 on Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:25 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
Eagledom {l Wrote}:
BC '00 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
ryrob {l Wrote}:
b0mberMan {l Wrote}:
ryrob {l Wrote}:

How often in Football is a recruit going to pick BC over Florida? Same deal with Duke.

This is the inanity I was referring to. I was hoping that we could get another HJS/OJ slapfight going here...because, you know, none of us are tired of those yet...
BC '00
Cushing Hall

Return to Conte Forum