Noreen to WVU

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Noreen to WVU

Postby pick6pedro on Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:57 pm

Were they even in the running that has been reported here and elsewhere? WTF!!!?!?!!
http://sundaygazettemail.com/Sports/WVU/201006280374
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Re: Noreen to WVU

Postby cvilleagle on Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:01 pm

Wow. Seems like that came totally out of the blue
cvilleagle
Devlin Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:10 pm

Good work Kevin, you turned down a BC education for a WVU "education".

Looks like it's NBA or Gas Pumping for Noreen.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby apbc12 on Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:12 pm

If things don't work out for Noreen on the basketball front, I guess he can always go home to Minnesota and manage an ice fishing hut. Best of luck to him.

Edit: God willing, this turn of events will lead to the return of brycewvu.
apbc12
Higgins Hall

Postby EagleNYC on Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:14 pm

I know this is a sarcastic message board, but for God's sake, these responses are pathetic. I wish he'd stayed, but now he's made his choice.
EagleNYC
Cushing Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:22 pm

Noreen's shunning of the BC program is...

NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:57 pm

EagleNYC {l Wrote}:I know this is a sarcastic message board, but for God's sake, these responses are pathetic. I wish he'd stayed, but now he's made his choice.

Can't deny that for a kid with a 4.0 GPA that supposedly cares about academics, picking WVU over Northwestern & BC is a bit of an odd choice. Which degree do you think gets you more in the job market, WVU or Northwestern?
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby EagleNYC on Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:38 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
EagleNYC {l Wrote}:I know this is a sarcastic message board, but for God's sake, these responses are pathetic. I wish he'd stayed, but now he's made his choice.

Can't deny that for a kid with a 4.0 GPA that supposedly cares about academics, picking WVU over Northwestern & BC is a bit of an odd choice. Which degree do you think gets you more in the job market, WVU or Northwestern?

I have no idea what this kid wants to study. Is he an engineering guy? I'm not going to start lauding WVU's academics, but perhaps he's looked into his options a bit more carefully than you. You may be right about WVU's academic reputation, but I have no idea if there is any truth to that. Aren't we a fanbase that has to deal with meritless "backup college" and "they're so slow, but hard working" cliche lazy nonesense?

Edit: forgot to answer the q: if the market is pro basketball, I think the clear answer is WVU.
EagleNYC
Cushing Hall

Postby ryrob on Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:03 pm

EagleNYC {l Wrote}:Edit: forgot to answer the q: if the market is pro basketball, I think the clear answer is WVU.

Maybe he's the next Kevin Pittsnogle?
ryrob
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:24 pm

EagleNYC {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

I have no idea what this kid wants to study. Is he an engineering guy? I'm not going to start lauding WVU's academics, but perhaps he's looked into his options a bit more carefully than you. You may be right about WVU's academic reputation, but I have no idea if there is any truth to that. Aren't we a fanbase that has to deal with meritless "backup college" and "they're so slow, but hard working" cliche lazy nonesense?

Edit: forgot to answer the q: if the market is pro basketball, I think the clear answer is WVU.

Northwestern has a top 25 Engineering School, WVU isn't even close. Unless he wants to major in pro basketball, that's a bizarre choice.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby BCEagles25 on Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:54 pm

Huh. Weird.
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby Endless Mike on Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:22 am

Does WVU have a good textile program?

Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:26 am

Endless Mike {l Wrote}:Does WVU have a good textile program?

On Comedy Central last night!

On a tangent, I've recently started watching that channel again because Comcast finally put it on HD.
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby Endless Mike on Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:42 am

b0mberMan {l Wrote}:
Endless Mike {l Wrote}:Does WVU have a good textile program?

On Comedy Central last night!

On a tangent, I've recently started watching that channel again because Comcast finally put it on HD.

Yup, that's why I thought of that episode. I wanted to find a picture of Dennis in the dress at the end, but this was my second choice.
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby carolina2010 on Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:39 pm

Has anyone even considered the fact this young man is not going to WV to study?!?! WVU ended the season as the #3 team in Division I and you guys are pissing on his decision to forgo a BC or Northwestern education for a chance to take his game to the next level... It makes no rational sense. :81
carolina2010
Carney Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:59 am

carolina2010 {l Wrote}:Has anyone even considered the fact this young man is not going to WV to study?!?! WVU ended the season as the #3 team in Division I and you guys are pissing on his decision to forgo a BC or Northwestern education for a chance to take his game to the next level... It makes no rational sense. :81

Saying you care about academics and then going to WVU actually makes no rational sense. But good try.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby BCEagles25 on Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:16 am

carolina2010 {l Wrote}:Has anyone even considered the fact this young man is not going to WV to study?!?! WVU ended the season as the #3 team in Division I and you guys are pissing on his decision to forgo a BC or Northwestern education for a chance to take his game to the next level... It makes no rational sense. :81

He pulled a Brendan Beal. A Rod Odom per se.
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:27 am

BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:

He pulled a Brendan Beal. A Rod Odom per se.

Vanderbilt is actually a legit academic school so I can see Rod Odom. West Virginia is not.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:38 am

More details - Noreen contacted WVU.

It all happened almost out of the blue. Huggins had all but given up trying to fill his one available scholarship for next year before the AAU coach for the 6-foot-10 Noreen called and said the youngster was interested.

"I was asked by Jerry [Noreen, Kevin's father] and Kevin to contact West Virginia," Jerry Robertson, the AAU coach, said Tuesday. "They expressed interest in Kevin immediately. They weren't sure if he had signed or not or where he was in that process, but they were aware of Kevin and expressed considerable interest.

"Noreen fell right in Huggins' lap" (hopefully he was wearing spandex)
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby bignick33 on Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:24 pm

Here's an article about Noreen's recruitment, particularly his relationship with Coach Eastern Clothing of Watertown.

http://www.wvillustrated.com/wvubasketb ... ory/id/905

It goes to show how important relationships are in this business. The irony is that he eventually picked WVU with seemingly no connection in place.
I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby bignick33 on Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:30 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:...The irony is that he eventually picked WVU with seemingly no connection in place.

which goes to show you that in the end relationships aren't really that important in this business

Do know that Al isn't the coach of BC (or anyone) anymore?
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby bignick33 on Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:32 pm

bignick33 {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:...The irony is that he eventually picked WVU with seemingly no connection in place.

which goes to show you that in the end relationships aren't really that important in this business

Do know that Al isn't the coach of BC (or anyone) anymore?

do you know what irony means?

:81
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby Eagledom on Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:37 pm

bignick33 {l Wrote}:Here's an article about Noreen's recruitment, particularly his relationship with Coach Eastern Clothing of Watertown.

It goes to show how important relationships are in this business. The irony is that he eventually picked WVU with seemingly no connection in place.

A couple of impressions from reading that:

1. Noreen didn't like the idea of being one of the leaders of a team that was rebuilding.
2. I wouldn't be surprised if Al steered him away from BC out of spite.
Eagledom
Merkert Hall

Postby Harry Seaward on Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:43 pm

Eagledom {l Wrote}:I wouldn't be surprised if Al steered him away from BC out of spite.

I'm sure you wouldn't.
Harry Seaward
Carney Hall

Postby BCMcG on Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:45 pm

Eagledom {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:Here's an article about Noreen's recruitment, particularly his relationship with Coach Eastern Clothing of Watertown.

1. Noreen didn't like the idea of being one of the leaders of a team that was rebuilding.

:roll:
BCMcG
McGuinn Hall

Postby apbc12 on Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:45 pm

Eagledom {l Wrote}:

And it also confirmed everything you've ever said about Al not doing any recruiting at all, and barely having relationships with his players, right?
apbc12
Higgins Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:46 pm

Eagledom {l Wrote}:

This is an epic level of douchebaggery, even for OJ.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby bignick33 on Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:49 pm

Eagledom {l Wrote}:2. I wouldn't be surprised if Al steered him away from BC out of spite.

This is exactly what I was looking forward to when I posted the link.

Someone post that bait and hook photo.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby BCEagles25 on Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:54 pm

Eagledom {l Wrote}:

Now, now. Don't be an HJS conspiracy theorist. First point is legit however.
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby bignick33 on Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:57 pm

BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:
Eagledom {l Wrote}:

Now, now. Don't be an HJS conspiracy theorist. First point is legit however.

To an extent. But then again...the differences between BC and WVU as universities notwithstanding...would you rather play for a Final Four team or a team that will almost certainly finish at the bottom of the ACC next year?
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Next

Return to Conte Forum