Ray Allen

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Ray Allen

Postby bcsoxfan12 on Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:41 am

Will he stay or will he go? How will this impact the Celtics next year? Thoughts? Not just the angry thoughts about how he 3-14 last night
bcsoxfan12
Campion Hall

Re: Ray Allen

Postby branchinator on Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:43 am

Ray Allen is no longer a 35-40 mpg player. The Celtics found this out the hard way. It all depends on his contract demands. If he's reasonable, I bet he stays.
branchinator
Cushing Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:45 am

In Allen's defense, he locked up Kobe for most of this series. That takes a lot out of the shooting legs. Last night, he shot 3-14, but Kobe was like 4 for 21 at some point.

A shooter can play a lot longer than a regular player. He won't be back, but he should be.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby OldEaglePub on Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:47 am

Celtic history will certainly not look kindly upon Ray Allen after four consecutive poor showings (EDIT: on the offensive end) when it mattered most. I don't see how/why we resign him unless we pay him bench-player money.
Last edited by OldEaglePub on Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
OldEaglePub
Carney Hall

Postby OldEaglePub on Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:51 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:In Allen's defense, he locked up Kobe for most of this series. That takes a lot out of the shooting legs. Last night, he shot 3-14, but Kobe was like 4 for 21 at some point.

Fair point. Same happened to Pierce during the Cleveland series when he defended Lebron. I am probably being biased and a little emotional about Ray Allen's contribution. It all depends on the money he is offered.
OldEaglePub
Carney Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:58 am

Like Big Papi, the Sox, and the Lakers...he is done. :whammy
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby bignick33 on Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:27 pm

What is all this bitching about Ray? Of course his shooting suffered in the LA series; he spent 90% of the the time running around covering Kobe.
I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby EagleDave on Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:50 pm

All credit to Ray Allen for the defense he played on Kobe Bryant, but that is not what he's paid to do. He's paid to hit 3's and be an offensive weapon. Everyone wants to look at how well he played for the first 2 rounds of the playoffs and after the trade deadline, but that doesn't excuse what went on for 4 months where he was awful or at least below average.

Ray seems to understand the business side of this, in that he's going to take a big pay cut. But, I don't think it's beneficial to the Celtics in the long term to bring him back, even at a reduced rate (unless we're talking midlevel exception money). You've got to believe he's going to want to be shown some respect for his contributions and be offered roughly 2 years at 8-10 mil. That's too much for a guy who would be 37 by the end of that contract and sucking up 15% of your payroll.

Thanks for the memories Ray, you were a warrior, but bidness is bidness.
Is this the 5 o'clock free crack giveaway?
EagleDave
Merkert Hall

Postby OldEaglePub on Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:08 pm

EagleDave {l Wrote}:All credit to Ray Allen for the defense he played on Kobe Bryant, but that is not what he's paid to do. He's paid to hit 3's and be an offensive weapon. Everyone wants to look at how well he played for the first 2 rounds of the playoffs and after the trade deadline, but that doesn't excuse what went on for 4 months where he was awful or at least below average.

Ray seems to understand the business side of this, in that he's going to take a big pay cut. But, I don't think it's beneficial to the Celtics in the long term to bring him back, even at a reduced rate (unless we're talking midlevel exception money). You've got to believe he's going to want to be shown some respect for his contributions and be offered roughly 2 years at 8-10 mil. That's too much for a guy who would be 37 by the end of that contract and sucking up 15% of your payroll.

Spot on. Classy guy and all but it may be time to move on.
OldEaglePub
Carney Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:23 pm

20 MPG.
FALL 2011 WILL BE THE BEST EVER FOR BC SPORTS AT THE HEIGHTS!

Rettigun leading our Football team to 14-0 and a Title!

The Hoops Freshman starting a new Legacy!
The Icemen returneth for another shot at Title 5!

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby gaelfu on Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:11 pm

The Celtics should let him go and focus on rebuilding around Rondo. They are not going to win any more titles with PP, KG, and Allen. Every NBA team must go through a transitional period as their stars age and their skills decline. The sooner the Celtics accept this fact the better. Teams that try and hold on for too long can end up lottery-bound for years until they hit it big in the draft once again.
tobaccoroadeagle is a giant flaming tool, Fight the good fight 74!
gaelfu
Carney Hall

Postby EagleDave on Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:57 am

gaelfu {l Wrote}:The Celtics should let him go and focus on rebuilding around Rondo. They are not going to win any more titles with PP, KG, and Allen. Every NBA team must go through a transitional period as their stars age and their skills decline. The sooner the Celtics accept this fact the better. Teams that try and hold on for too long can end up lottery-bound for years until they hit it big in the draft once again.

See: Boston Celtics circa 1988-2008.
EagleDave
Merkert Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:16 pm

Do you realize his cap was $19M and could fit Lebron?

Wallace and a few others could get Stoudamire or Lee?

Lee Lebron Rondo Pierce 2 more Garnett 1 more???

Plus mid cap subs???

Knicks own LeBron..and odds yet?

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby bcsoxfan12 on Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:30 am

BCEagle74 {l Wrote}:Do you realize his cap was $19M and could fit Lebron?

Plus mid cap subs???

Lebron in a Celts uniform…..now that’s just crazy talk!!! (then again crazy talk that might finally get Lebron a championship) It will be interesting to say the least……unfortunately I think there are way too many Ifs associated with resigning Allen. I think he might be looking for one last payday, and the ownership will have a tough time squeezing him in. As a fan you wish that these guys would come to their senses and realize what’s important, but all they care about is $$$$$.
bcsoxfan12
Campion Hall

Postby 1981Eagle on Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:06 am

EagleDave {l Wrote}:All credit to Ray Allen for the defense he played on Kobe Bryant, but that is not what he's paid to do. He's paid to hit 3's and be an offensive weapon. Everyone wants to look at how well he played for the first 2 rounds of the playoffs and after the trade deadline, but that doesn't excuse what went on for 4 months where he was awful or at least below average.

Despite the poor series, Ray is a favorite. If we can keep him at a reasonable price, keep him.
GDF-Ever to the Bottom
1981Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby EagleDave on Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:49 am

1981Eagle {l Wrote}:

Despite the poor series, Ray is a favorite. If we can keep him at a reasonable price, keep him.

That is EXACTLY the kind of thinking that will keep them irrelevant for another 25 years. This whole "oh, he's such a nice guy, and he was great once, let's tie up cap space as a reward for what he USED to do!" crap is insanity. I detest the idea of signing up fading(ed) players just because they're liked and you think it'll put fans in the seats. Newsflash to the sports world...you could put 15 level 3 sex offender gang members on the team....WINNING is what puts fans in the seats, not nostalgia. Dominique Wilkins was great once too, nobody cared when he played for the Celtics.
EagleDave
Merkert Hall

Postby branchinator on Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:21 am

The Celtics will have no cap space these next 2 years anyways. If Ray doesn't play SG for the Celtics next year, then who does? He's not finished. He was just playing too many minutes.
branchinator
Cushing Hall

Postby bcsoxfan12 on Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:58 pm

I’m just happy he’s staying in a Celts uniform!!!!!! Now can he lead the Celts to victory over Miami?
bcsoxfan12
Campion Hall

Postby 1981Eagle on Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:28 pm

bignick33 {l Wrote}:What is all this bitching about Ray? Of course his shooting suffered in the LA series; he spent 90% of the the time running around covering Kobe.

Here is a smart man. Ray's a friggin Celtic. I just don't like that he went to UConn. In the clutch, in Ray we trust.
GDF-Ever to the Bottom
1981Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby angrychicken on Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:13 pm

bcsoxfan12 {l Wrote}:I’m just happy he’s staying in a Celts uniform!!!!!! Now can he lead the Celts to victory over Miami?

Please. This new Heat team is being constructed to win championships like no other team has done before. I won't say that it is "game over", but game over.
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:20 pm

angrychicken {l Wrote}:
bcsoxfan12 {l Wrote}:I’m just happy he’s staying in a Celts uniform!!!!!! Now can he lead the Celts to victory over Miami?

Please. This new Heat team is being constructed to win championships like no other team has done before. I won't say that it is "game over", but game over.

I think the Lakers with a healthy Bynum and one more addition will be tough to beat.

The Celtics will be tough to beat. O'Neal may have some magic left and Rasheed may return???

Harangody is a rookie. Signing Allen for $10M was redonkulous. Bradley G is 19? That is a $5M player free agent???

If the Trio signed for $12M and gave the Heat $10M more in space, then yes, they would be very game over.

Miami is so weak at Guard, and you wear out Wade in a tough playoff series, you never know.

Bosh is good, but so is Glen Davis. Davis could maul him in the playoffs..= PUSH

...then.....them adding Lebron but still and needing more.

The Celtics are still the team to beat even with Perkins surgery. Orlando doesn't impress me in the playoffs.

Of course the NBA title will always go through the Italian Stallion, Danilo Gallinari.

Kobe...please.

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:04 am

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
if amazon kardashian keeps her ginormous ass in the ratings, the lakers could get the nod again.

Exalt. This may be the key..

I am holding off for my June 16th, 2011 -- NBA Game 7 Final post between the Heat and the Lakers, with 2 minutes to go in Game 7 and the score is 81-81 and its Laker ball. Wade and Kobe each have 25.

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:55 am

angrychicken {l Wrote}:

Meh. This Heat team is designed to be a massive failure. You don't win championships if you have no money left to pay the Robert Horrys, Vinny Johnsons, James Poseys, John Paxons, Derek Fishers and Bruce Bowens of the world.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby angrychicken on Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:07 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
angrychicken {l Wrote}:

Meh. This Heat team is designed to be a massive failure. You don't win championships if you have no money left to pay the Robert Horrys, Vinny Johnsons, James Poseys, John Paxons, Derek Fishers and Bruce Bowens of the world.

They already have them. Plus, they have this.
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby branchinator on Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:09 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
angrychicken {l Wrote}:

The Heat's roster is going to be more talented than I expected. With Ilgauskas, Haslem, Miller in the fold, that's a pretty decent start given what they had to work with. Starting next year, the Heat will have the MLE to spend every year, which is when they'll really start to separate from teams. This year, the Heat will be very beatable as they won't have a legit defensive presence in the low post.
branchinator
Cushing Hall

Postby cvilleagle on Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:28 am

branchinator {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
angrychicken {l Wrote}:

The Heat's roster is going to be more talented than I expected. With Ilgauskas, Haslem, Miller in the fold, that's a pretty decent start given what they had to work with. Starting next year, the Heat will have the MLE to spend every year, which is when they'll really start to separate from teams. This year, the Heat will be very beatable as they won't have a legit defensive presence in the low post.

Agreed. The Chicago Bulls will be the 2011 Eastern Conference champs. Miami doesn't have anyone to defend Boozer (or Dwight Howard, for that matter). But 2012, etc., they may very well pick up the remaining pieces that they need.
cvilleagle
Devlin Hall

Postby apbc12 on Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:38 am

Vince McMa...er, David Stern will make sure they don't win this year. People will still be mad at them, so they'll come up short. Then there's the lockout, and two full years for people to get over The Decision. Stern will allow them to win in '12-'13.
apbc12
Higgins Hall

Postby Endless Mike on Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:08 am

BCEagle74 {l Wrote}:Do you realize his cap was $19M and could fit Lebron?

Plus mid cap subs???

That's not really how the NBA cap works. The Celtics had money to re-sign their veterans but if those guys had left, the money wouldn't have just come off the books like in other leagues with caps. Plus, they wouldn't have gotten to sign a mid-level exception.
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Return to Conte Forum